New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default arcane/divine progression

aside from mystic theurge and arcane hierophant are there any other prestige classes that grant +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/
    +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: arcane/divine progression

Yes, but they pretty much all suck. The ones that come to mind are True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) and Yathinshree (sic, Drow of the Underdark, requires being a Drow.)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I think that that class with crazy requirement (speaking druidic, having evasion, spellcasting and some hefty skill requirements) Focuchulan Lyrist or so

It is bard/druid
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by urbanpirate View Post
    aside from mystic theurge and arcane hierophant are there any other prestige classes that grant +1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class/
    +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class
    Yathrinshee and True Necromancer both do. Yathrinshee is in one of the FR books and requires worship of a specific deity and doesn't advance both at each level (it misses 2 or three). True Necromancer is in Libris Mortis. It advances only arcane at first level and then only divine at 2nd level (or the other way around. Not sure) and then has 14 levels of both. Unfortunately, the class abilities are weak and you essentially give up getting 9th level spell pre-epic. And it requires a semi-redundant domain to qualify.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) actually only get 12/14 casting in each class, advancing only arcane at 1 and 6 and only divine at 2 and 7, and both at all other levels (yes it is 14 levels long).

Yathrinshee (Players Guide to Faerun, actually) doesn't actually even qualify, it has three levels of no casting advancement, arcane at 2, 5, and 8, and divine at 3, 6, and 9. There are no levels that advance both.

The only classes that give +1 arcane/+1 divine are Mystic Theurge, Arcane Heirophant, and Fochlucan Lyricist.

BTW, there are some ways to get around the really mixed up pre-reqs for Fochlucan Lyricist. Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) gives full 5/5 casting and Evasion at 4th level. So you can get in without Rogue (Shadowdancer, etc that doesn't help you cast).

And for Arcane Heirophant, Holt Warden (Complete Champion) gives full 10/10 casting and Trackless Step at 3rd level. So you can get in as a Cleric.

6. - Top - End - #6

Anyone who actually thinks Yathrinshee is a decent PrC needs their head examined.

Let's see, AH, MT, True Necro, that about does it. There's Eldritch Disciple, but it's Warlock/Cleric. There's also a pair of Divine/Psionic (one of which doesn't advance both, but can be entered by either exclusively).

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssKnight View Post
    True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) actually only get 12/14 casting in each class, advancing only arcane at 1 and 6 and only divine at 2 and 7, and both at all other levels (yes it is 14 levels long).

Yathrinshee (Players Guide to Faerun, actually) doesn't actually even qualify, it has three levels of no casting advancement, arcane at 2, 5, and 8, and divine at 3, 6, and 9. There are no levels that advance both.

The only classes that give +1 arcane/+1 divine are Mystic Theurge, Arcane Heirophant, and Fochlucan Lyricist.

BTW, there are some ways to get around the really mixed up pre-reqs for Fochlucan Lyricist. Combat Medic (Heroes of Battle) gives full 5/5 casting and Evasion at 4th level. So you can get in without Rogue (Shadowdancer, etc that doesn't help you cast).

And for Arcane Heirophant, Holt Warden (Complete Champion) gives full 10/10 casting and Trackless Step at 3rd level. So you can get in as a Cleric.

hmm i think i just ordered up somthin with tripple cheese

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

hmm i think i just ordered up somthin with tripple cheese
    What on earth among his statements could possibly be considered cheesy? I'm so lost.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

I suppose bypassing the Fochulan lyrist requirements?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    What on earth among his statements could possibly be considered cheesy? I'm so lost.
    he assumes that dual progression classes are powerful instead of a trap (because of loss of caster progression). It is an easy mistake to make, I made it myself early on before learning the cardinal rule of winning DnD. Thou shalt not lose castel levels.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    he assumes that dual progression classes are powerful instead of a trap (because of loss of caster progression). It is an easy mistake to make, I made it myself early on before learning the cardinal rule of winning DnD. Thou shalt not lose castel levels.
    However, if the caster level loss is bypassed (as the above route was able to do), then the dual progression classes become fairly powerful. In a normal quasi-optimized game, this could certainly be considered 'cheesy', especially due to the fairly convoluted method involved.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bibliomancer View Post
    However, if the caster level loss is bypassed (as the above route was able to do), then the dual progression classes become fairly powerful. In a normal quasi-optimized game, this could certainly be considered 'cheesy', especially due to the fairly convoluted method involved.
    the dual progression classes he called cheesy do not bypass the loss of caster level. you still need to lose 3 levels to qualify for them. and you are still screwed at the end because there aren't enough of them to take you to level 20 without losing anymore on one side.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AbyssKnight View Post
    Wait, you lose more at 6 and 7? I don't think I've actually played the class so never bothered looking that far. Seemed weak enough just with the problems at 1 and 2. *Scampers off to look at LM*.

Edit: Yeah, apparently you do. Wow. That class stinks.
    Last edited by JoshuaZ; 2010-03-12 at 02:45 PM.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

probably should have claified at the begining, i am bulding a gestalt caster

druid/wizard up to 6
    arcane heirophant/probbly cleric till 16
    druid/second dual progression prc beyond

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

probably should have claified at the begining, i am bulding a gestalt caster

druid/wizard up to 6
    arcane heirophant/probbly cleric till 16
    druid/second dual progression prc beyond
    Just to clarify: by Gestalt rules, a dual progression PrC counts as one single entry; heck, the rules often prohibit their existence.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

if you wanna do that, make an ubercast (SL9 casting in almost every class)