New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default (4e) Help making a Lightning Wizard

I am going to be running a campaign for my brother, and some of my friends. My brother, and one of my friends have played D&D before so they made their characters without any restrictions. For the other 2 though, I am making their first characters based on what they want. One of them wants a lightning Wizard, any recommendations. Since they are first time players, I am avoiding Psionics, and Hybrids. I wanna keep things simple for them. Though admittedly If I wanted simple, I should probably give him a different character.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: (4e) Help making a Lightning Wizard

Be a wizard, get a lot of lightning powers and feats, take spellstorm mage and storm sovereign.
    Currently moving houses, posting will be sporadic for the next little while.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Convert the Lightning Warrior

Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree with Goonthegoof's advice - since you want to keep things simple, that's probably sufficient.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If what he really wants is "guy with lightning magic", a storm sorcerer might be easier for a first-timer than a wizard...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Indeed, Sorcerer is less complicated than wizard. But, another point... what`s the problem with psionics? In 4th Edition, it`s just another power source, nothing special...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    But, another point... what`s the problem with psionics? In 4th Edition, it`s just another power source, nothing special...
    As you say, the power source itself is just another power source. The Psionic classes, however, are significant departures from the classes that use other power sources. So by banning psionics, he bans all the classes with "weird" mechanics while not banning any of the more "traditional" classes.
    Last edited by Artanis; 2010-03-12 at 10:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Girlfriend and Parents: Why do you spend so much money on that stuff?
    Me: Would you rather I spent all my money on alcohol like others in my peer group?
    G&P: You keep spending as much money as you want!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bossing Around Mad Cats for Fun and Profit: Let's Play MechCommander 2!

Kicking this LP into overdrive: Let's Play StarCraft 2!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

1st level psionics effectively gives you 7 starting powers, instead of the 3 starting ones. I don't want him to have to consider which ones will be most effective. I would rather he start a little simpler. Also, I may look into the storm sorc. Hopefully he will except it (most likely).