New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default What School to Create Warforged?

What school would you say would be appropriate for the creation of Warforged?

(Irrelevant explanation: I maintain you can play the AD&D version of the Realms with 4e. You might wind up restricting races a bit, but the mechanics will be fine. The problem is where I would put warforged for the inevitable jerk who'd want to play one. My first thought is that they'd be a creation of one of the Zulkiirs in Thay, but I'm not sure which one. I don't want it to be necromancy, because Zzas Tam wouldn't go constructs... he'd just pile on more undead. But I'm not sure who would fit, otherwise.)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What School to Create Warforged?

Well, running off 3.5: Both Animate Object and Awaken are Transmutation, which would seem to cover the aspects of a Warforged. So I'm going to say Transmutation. Maybe a little bit of Conjuration (Healing) for the living aspects.. I suppose the Wizardly equivalents usually wind up in Necromancy.
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2010-03-12 at 01:31 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

(Irrelevant explanation: I maintain you can play the AD&D version of the Realms with 4e. You might wind up restricting races a bit, but the mechanics will be fine. The problem is where I would put warforged for the inevitable jerk who'd want to play one.
    You're the DM. I know letting PCs play what they like and helping them to enjoy themselves is good, but if you don't like Warforged/don't think they'd fit at all in Forgotten Realms... then simply say they arn't around?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Transmutation sounds good to me as well. I think that adding in Wish or Miracle as a required spell would be reasonable, too. Those are Universal and Evocation respectively.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I think I'd go for a riutal with Transmutation, Conjuration and Necromancy in order to build a Creation Forge, which in turn will be used to build Warforged.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Asheram View Post
    I think I'd go for a riutal with Transmutation, Conjuration and Necromancy in order to build a Creation Forge, which in turn will be used to build Warforged.
    Not to mention psionics. Psychometabolism, Metacreativity, and Telepathy (To create life, body, and mind) The Quori had them constructed if I recall correctly.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

I think Universal, because you can make a case for every school being involved in their construction in some way.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Barbarian in the Playground

I could also see Warforged coming out of a Gondish workshop using divine spells. If anyone was going to make a Forge (the kind that mass produces the warforged) it'd be a Gnomish Artificer who worships Gond (if not Gond himself).
    Last edited by unre9istered; 2010-03-12 at 01:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gaborn in Into the Third Age
    Geist in Thershadeth
    Kinkal in Voyage of the Iron Maiden
    Jubilus Bellum in To Steal the Sun...On Earth as it is in Heaven
    Frahraek in The Secret Society [Take That 4th Wall]
    Thuk in A Brave New Frontier
    David Narless (Daeclan) in Age of Worms

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    What school would you say would be appropriate for the creation of Warforged?

(Irrelevant explanation: I maintain you can play the AD&D version of the Realms with 4e. You might wind up restricting races a bit, but the mechanics will be fine. The problem is where I would put warforged for the inevitable jerk who'd want to play one. My first thought is that they'd be a creation of one of the Zulkiirs in Thay, but I'm not sure which one. I don't want it to be necromancy, because Zzas Tam wouldn't go constructs... he'd just pile on more undead. But I'm not sure who would fit, otherwise.)
    I was that inevitable jerk

The explanation I came up with drew heavily from existing lore.

The Raumviri Empire waged war using hordes of constructs (according to FRCS)

They fell, and some of the survivors became the founding Witches of Rashemen- specializing in working with the spirits of the land (according to FRCS and Unapproachable East)

The Witches rediscovered the secrets, and started creating spirit-possessed constructs, of a more naturalistic type (Made up by me).
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2010-03-12 at 02:01 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Beelzebub1111 View Post
    Not to mention psionics. Psychometabolism, Metacreativity, and Telepathy (To create life, body, and mind) The Quori had them constructed if I recall correctly.
    Oh my. :) Cheers to you, I'm not that well versed in Eberron lore.
    Boats are like nuts, the outside is hard but the inside is usually good to eat.

And remember, things can always get worse.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    I was that inevitable jerk

The explanation I came up with drew heavily from existing lore.

The Raumviri Empire waged war using hordes of constructs (according to FRCS)

They fell, and some of the survivors became the founding Witches of Rashemen- specializing in working with the spirits of the land (according to FRCS and Unapproachable East)

The Witches rediscovered the secrets, and started creating spirit-possessed constructs, of a more naturalistic type (Made up by me).
    That's a pretty badass way to slip Warforged into Toril. I like!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ryumaru View Post
    You're the DM. I know letting PCs play what they like and helping them to enjoy themselves is good, but if you don't like Warforged/don't think they'd fit at all in Forgotten Realms... then simply say they arn't around?
    Because in other people's games, I am the inevitable jerk (perhaps you've noticed me calling my DM "Dreamcrusher"?). I like to be prepared.

However, I will make it clear to people choosing something unconventional that we're in the Realms, specifically Cormyr, before there's a Time of Troubles. Something like an Orc'll get you killed... a warforged may just get taken apart (which, if done carefully, won't hurt too much).
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.