New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default 3.x Is there a way to make a character truely immortal?

That immortal thread got me thinking. Just for fun (since in game it would probably not serve much purpose and/or make it boring) is there a way to make your character not only live forever, but always come back from death? Using no outside sources (such as a priest cohort that can raise you or something) since said sources would eventually fade/die.

So one of the main problem I see getting around is disintegration. The only way to come back from being disintegrated, I think is Wish? Is there a way to become immune to it? I suppose with some crazy items you could have some sort of contingent wish thing, but that'd be an outside source that eventually fade/get stolen.

Of course, that's kind of getting ahead, still have to find a way to always be able to come back from even normal deaths. Lich wouldn't work, since after several million years or so I'm sure your phylacteries would be destroyed, no matter how well hidden.

So is there any way to do this? It might be an interesting character goal to roleplay and retire him once he achieves such.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: 3.x Is there a way to make a character truely immortal?

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    That immortal thread got me thinking. Just for fun (since in game it would probably not serve much purpose and/or make it boring) is there a way to make your character not only live forever, but always come back from death? Using no outside sources (such as a priest cohort that can raise you or something) since said sources would eventually fade/die.

So one of the main problem I see getting around is disintegration. The only way to come back from being disintegrated, I think is Wish? Is there a way to become immune to it? I suppose with some crazy items you could have some sort of contingent wish thing, but that'd be an outside source that eventually fade/get stolen.

Of course, that's kind of getting ahead, still have to find a way to always be able to come back from even normal deaths. Lich wouldn't work, since after several million years or so I'm sure your phylacteries would be destroyed, no matter how well hidden.

So is there any way to do this? It might be an interesting character goal to roleplay and retire him once he achieves such.
    Mostly possible. There's an Epic spell seed that can create undead of a chosen type. Ghost is on that list. You can make a spell that turns you into a ghost as soon as you're killed. Maybe take the time to make certain that the undead you create is under your control, so that anyone attempting to control you has to make an opposed Charisma check vs. You. A Ghost with 15 or more hit dice never fails the DC 16 hit dice check to respawn. If you've got the 21 levels needed to make Epic casting, then all you need to worry about is dead magic zones and hunters of the dead. Plus, you know, stuff that'll control you, rather than merely killing you.

Also:
    Resurrection, True Resurrection, and a few other things will undo Disintegrate.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-03-13 at 02:31 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3

Wouldn't a ghost be worse than a lich?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Ghost. Make sure you've a reason to stay. Take 3 lvls of Ghost, and you'll be around forever. The Reju always works. ALWAYS. No phylactery to destory. Only way to get rid of the ghost is to please it.

Though, if that counts, passing onto to be a petitioner in your heaven counts as staying 'alive' too.

Problem. Soul destroying stuff.
    Last edited by 2xMachina; 2010-03-13 at 02:38 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Wouldn't a ghost be worse than a lich?
    Liches can be destroyed, special abilities aside, the ONLY way to permanently remove a ghost is to determine why it still exists, and set things right.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Liches can be destroyed, special abilities aside, the ONLY way to permanently remove a ghost is to determine why it still exists, and set things right.
    Or that silly anti-undead divine caster prestige class.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narazil View Post
    hence "special abilities aside." I was referring to undead destroying abilities, not ghost/lich abilities.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Hunter of the Dead. Almost nobody takes it to the capstone, though, which is what it'd take. Even with that, though, there are ways around Rejuvination - it's Su, so doesn't work in an AMF, for instance. Likewise, you're not guaranteed to beat the check unless you've got at least 15 hit dice (or the DM lets you take ten on it).

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Problem. Soul destroying stuff.
    Find one that doesn't require the target be alive in the first place, and we'll talk.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-03-13 at 02:41 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Hunter of the Dead. Almost nobody takes it to the capstone, though, which is what it'd take. Even with that, though, there are ways around Rejuvination - it's Su, so doesn't work in an AMF, for instance. Likewise, you're not guaranteed to beat the check unless you've got at least 15 hit dice (or the DM lets you take ten on it).
    Isn't the capstone immunity to level drain? True Death is on level 5 or so.

Find one that doesn't require the target be alive in the first place, and we'll talk.
    I'm pretty sure you're "alive" when you enter an afterlife. Plane Shift, eat soul.
    Last edited by Narazil; 2010-03-13 at 02:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Even with that, though, there are ways around Rejuvination - it's Su, so doesn't work in an AMF, for instance.
    Given that incorporeal undead wink out of existence in an AMF, I doubt not having Rejuvination up in one will be an issue.
    Swoop Falcon

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

One question about the ghost. Lets say you have character that has the goal of achieving immortality but die on a quest and becomes a ghost thus fulfilling the ghosts reason to stay thus destroying it thus not fulfilling it's quest etc

What then?
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

12. - Top - End - #12

MindFlayer

Dry Lich has 5 phylacteries basically. Hide them each in a different undisclosed location and viola!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't the capstone immunity to level drain? True Death is on level 5 or so.
    Okay. I haven't really looked at it all that closely. Still... it basically requires you to be a Cleric to enter, it progresses no spellcasting, and you don't get the thing that lets you keep a ghost down for quite some time.
    I'm pretty sure you're "alive" when you enter an afterlife. Plane Shift, eat soul.
    Hmm? No, he's still type Undead once he becomes a ghost. You'd basically need to meet him on the Ethereal (where he's not incorporeal), hit him with Polymorph Any Object, hope he fails his save, and THEN eat his soul.
    Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Given that incorporeal undead wink out of existence in an AMF, I doubt not having Rejuvination up in one will be an issue.
    Unlike most incorporeal critters, a Ghost is not always incorporeal. From the Ethereal plane, a ghost is a corporeal undead. The AMF just cuts off the Su abilities - including Manifestation and Rejuvination.

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    One question about the ghost. Lets say you have character that has the goal of achieving immortality but die on a quest and becomes a ghost thus fulfilling the ghosts reason to stay thus destroying it thus not fulfilling it's quest etc

What then?
    Simple: The goal is not to "become immortal" - it's to "survive forever".
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-03-13 at 02:56 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post

What then?
    Let's see.
    Have the goal? Check.
    Die on a quest and become a ghost? Check
    You become a ghost, but as you do, you fulfil your reason to stay.

Result? You are a ghost until you realize you no longer have a reason to stay, seeing as you have already had the goal of immortality, and have already become a ghost.

Okay. I haven't really looked at it all that closely. Still... it basically requires you to be a Cleric to enter, it progresses no spellcasting, and you don't get the thing that lets you keep a ghost down for quite some time.
    It requires you to be a level 1 Cleric. It's full BAB, so not a bad choice for a flavourful Fighter.

Hmm? No, he's still type Undead once he becomes a ghost. You'd basically need to meet him on the Ethereal (where he's not incorporeal), hit him with Polymorph Any Object, hope he fails his save, and THEN eat his soul.
    I meant the 'go-to-the-afterlife-and-become-an-angel/devil/whatever' method.
    Last edited by Narazil; 2010-03-13 at 02:58 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

Craft contingent spell+Reincarnation. Make the contingency for each consecutive contingent spell be that the one before it has also been used, so that you don't get reincarnated 50 times for one death.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Craft contingent spell+Reincarnation. Make the contingency for each consecutive contingent spell be that the one before it has also been used, so that you don't get reincarnated 50 times for one death.
    Or simply word carefully. "The next time I die..." "After I have died once, when I die..."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Or simply word carefully. "The next time I die..." "After I have died once, when I die..."
    "If I have been dead for more than one second"
    "If I have been dead for more than two seconds"
    "If I have been dead for more than three seconds"
    etc
    Swoop Falcon

18. - Top - End - #18
    Banned

Even things that destroy souls (like a Barghest) don't do so entirely. The closest D&D has to "obliterate target soul forever" is the Unname spell (ToM) where you erase someone from reality all the way down to their Truename - and even THAT can be reversed.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Even things that destroy souls (like a Barghest) don't do so entirely. The closest D&D has to "obliterate target soul forever" is the Unname spell (ToM) where you erase someone from reality all the way down to their Truename - and even THAT can be reversed.
    Well, it's a moot point. You're not truly immortal if you're lying dead in a Soul Gem.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    So would this work? What happens if you die in an AMF?

Remember, the goal is to be truly immortal, as in, being alive for billions of years upon years. Afterlife doesn't really count (like ghosts, especially since you'd be laid to rest eventually.) Although, I spose if there was a way to become a demon/deva and have free reign/retain yourself that might work (and be able to live on the prime material plane if you chose). But how could you guarantee you'd become one? Plus, that tends to come with all sorts of restrictions, like wizards can bind you, or you have to follow orders from superior beings. Not sure about that one.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

For an alternative, one could use the Save Game exploit, and play as an elan or warforged. Infinite lifespan, and the ability to come back from anything: check.
    My Unitarian Jihad name is Brother Rail Gun of Sweet Reason. Get yours!

Thanks to Cealocanth and PersonalSavior for my avatars!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by Sucrose View Post
    For an alternative, one could use the Save Game exploit, and play as an elan or warforged. Infinite lifespan, and the ability to come back from anything: check.
    Doesn't that require your psicrystal? What happens if you die on a day your psicrystal also happened to die?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

i'm not trying to sound like someone being picky but define immortal for me

if you wish to have a physical form and not age. Divine rank 0

if you wish to have a physical form and not age or die in combat i belive that is divine rank 2 - 3

any player who has read up on the divine ranking system in the 3.5 Dieties and Demigod's book will know that Divine rank 0 means you simply do not age but can still die in combat but you do not come back to life.

i belive divine rank 2 - 3 means in combat if you reach -10 you drop but get back up a little bit later i think after 8 hours, how ever burning the body would mean you would not come back to life but most people simply don't bother with that so in theory you would come back.

if you confirm these points with your DM you will normally get what you want.

personally if you were a fighter for example who was the son of another god or daughter of a god i would offer this.

loose all fighter bonus feats no substitutions they are gone for good.

you would gain divine rank 0 automaticly (as before you don't age but can die in combat)
    but i would then say you can take feats to help you heal for example one feat "fast healing" then you would have to take another feat "fast healing 1" etc and so forth, this way you have the choice between combat or health, if you stay true to your back history you will always take the fast healing.

although if you were smart about it you would take 3 levels in cleric then take the feat "craft wanderious item" using a scroll to place a spell onto the amulet of your god which you would always wear around your neck that gives you 1hp per level unless you could cast it yourself, then take levels in fighter thus granting you back your combat skills but never being able to use a edged metal weapon other wise you would loose your cleric-hood and spell casting abilitys.

don't forget about other items that grant you things like tempoary hit points those could be essentially used as a HP shield meaning someone could stand there all day and hit you with a 18 str and a long sword dealing at most 10 hp if you had it maximised you would never loose a single drop of your own HP.

just some food for thought there for you, i hope i have helped

Itous
    Last edited by Itous; 2010-03-13 at 05:03 PM.
    a most exellent thank you to RPGsr4me for the brilliant avatars

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Itous View Post
    stuff
    Huh? I'm not looking to play an immortal character. Just a thought experiment to see if it would be possible to obtain through normal adventuring ways. Plus, so what if I had fast healing? Monsters usually don't (because DMs are nice) but they do have the option of finishing you off, fast healing wouldn't prevent that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

no but it would make you harder to kill, if you want immortality though adventuring then i sujest you roll a level 1 character take toughness at every oppertunity and wait untill you get to epic level and take epic life span multiple times providing you keep adventuring you character will not actully die providing you keep playing, assuming you can keep it alive that long.

you can also do other things to keep yourself from aging with spells and magic.

transportation seed can slow you for 20 rounds, combined with an actual slow spell and crafting feats you epic life span will multiply by 20 providing you can have an active retirement, you'll be ok
    a most exellent thank you to RPGsr4me for the brilliant avatars

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Try searching for the Emerald Legion.

I for one welcome our Illithid masters...
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

27. - Top - End - #27

I have a class that gives Divine Rank 0 as a capstone ability right here. Also, the Death Domain Major ability effectively grants the ability to always come back after death in combat. Combine them and you have... effective complete immortality.
    Last edited by Zexion; 2010-03-13 at 07:35 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

How exactly does the psionic save game trick work? My google-fu has failed me...
    Some characters of mine: http://lmaorpg.proboards.com/index.c...read=90&page=1

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

The save game trick uses Mass Time Hop to put your psicrsytal outside of time, just after it's cast one of those spells that allows it to reset everything to the beginning of the round, when the spell was cast.

I think an easier trick is to be a Warforged or Elan Shaper, and use Astral Seed and Genesis to make yourself practically immortal.

Whenever you die, you're sent back to your demi-plane, where you remake yourself. Sadly, you lose a level.

30. - Top - End - #30

Get someone to cast Imprisonment on you.

You'll technically live forever. If you consider that living...
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures: