New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default (3.5) Magically making a fortress

I'm was thinking of ways to make a permanent defendable home with magic, and thought stone wall/stone shape/passwall plus a few anti scrying spells would work, but it occured to me that everyone here can probably think of better ways. Anyone have any ideas?
    Currently moving houses, posting will be sporadic for the next little while.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (3.5) Magically making a fortress

Stronghold Builders Guidebook has rules for using magic to make construction easier.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Spoiler: Past Avatars
    Show

Awesome Avatar made by Meirnon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

The SBG is a nice start if you're paying someone to make a fortress, but, honestly, your best bet would be to pop stone and iron walls with Wall of Stone/Iron, Shrink Object the mass of materials before Fabricating them into the desired structure. Stone Shape would more than likely be used to secure the underground with Passwalls here and there for secret exits and the like.

As for anti-scrying, a Mindblank a day will keep the trouble away.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

There is more to making a nice stable structure than just making walls. They need to be able to stand up and take stress/load.

If I was a DM I'd require you to at least hire an architect to assist you and require frame work etc. to be built.
    Also it is a little fuzzy to do it like that under RAW, where as with the Landlord feat and the SBG you can do it under RAW and get Free cash to do it as well. lol.
    Current Avatar made by Pessimismrocks for the Battle for the little world - Fields of Blood game!

Show

We took a thread that was supposed to be a diplomatic negotiation and first contact, and turned it into Darth Ghaeris' rampage...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gaiyamato View Post
    There is more to making a nice stable structure than just making walls. They need to be able to stand up and take stress/load.

If I was a DM I'd require you to at least hire an architect to assist you and require frame work etc. to be built.
    Also it is a little fuzzy to do it like that under RAW, where as with the Landlord feat and the SBG you can do it under RAW and get Free cash to do it as well. lol.
    A +30 item to Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering is pretty dang cheap
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Mine:
    A Dungeon where heroes were tested (Survival of the Fittest Modeule)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

How high level are you? If you're high enough, you could create a sizeable building with Fabricate alone.

As for defending it, there is a whole bunch of spells which could be put to this purpose. Casting Guards and Wards would probably be a good start.
    It's like an old steam train, but powered on insanity and pain.

Uncle Fong avatar by Elagune

My Homebrewed Creatures:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by penbed400 View Post
    A +30 item to Knowledge: Architecture and Engineering is pretty dang cheap
    A very good point...

Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I beleive theres a high level spell in Frsotburn that allows you to magically make a castle. Though it'll be made of ice and even says it starts ot melt if in a warm climate so...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goonthegoof View Post
    I'm was thinking of ways to make a permanent defendable home with magic, and thought stone wall/stone shape/passwall plus a few anti scrying spells would work, but it occured to me that everyone here can probably think of better ways. Anyone have any ideas?
    Let's see... are you playing a Wizard, a Cleric, a Sorcerer, or a druid? Given you're talking about Passwall, you're *probably* a Wizard, but I figured I ought to double check, as the methods are different.

I looked at this a bit in one of the first campaigns I DM'd. I had a Sorcerer BBEG who made his own dungeons - Disintegrate for digging into solid rock, Wall of Stone & Fabricate for making doors, Illusory Wall for making things look nice (and for your basic concealed pit traps, and for covering the enterance), and Planar Binding to stock the place with critters.

You can one up that, though, quite easily - add the Invisible Spell (Cityscape - makes the effect of the spell invisible), and Dimensional Jaunt (Complete Mage Reserve Feat - teleport a short distance, provided you have line of sight to the target, at will). Then proceed to make a couple of Invisible walls of stone in there, which you then cover (on both sides) with Illusory Walls. You can see through them, as you have proof it's an illusion (you cast it), but almost nobody else can. As you can see through it, you can teleport through it. Do the entire dungeon this way. And of course, Mind Blank for yourself.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

More information would be nice.

Do you have to start from scratch or are there some building already? What kind of environment is it? Is it near any resources? Class, Levels, Wealth?
    What kind of home? Tower, Keep Or a simple mansion?