Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Create/Animate Undead - Unlisted Monsters

I'm going to be playing a cleric of Wee Jas in an upcoming game and will be commanding some undead minions. I know that the core lists for animate dead and create undead aren't exhaustive as there are some creatures like the Bloodhulk from MM IV that can be created via these spells. I'm looking for other useful abominations to add to my party's front (or back) line.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Create/Animate Undead - Unlisted Monsters

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Geiger Counter View Post
    I'm looking for those undead creatures which are not listed under create undead or similar spells and state in their entries that they may be created through the use of cleric spells, like the Bloodhulk in MM IV mentions that it can be created with animate dead, not just a list of undead creatures.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-03-14 at 06:53 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Bonedrinkers and Lesser Bonedrinkers (MM3) can be created using Create Undead.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

Monster Manual V has Blackwings, Bonespurs, Sanguineous Drinkers, Serpentirs, and Spectral Riders.
    Last edited by Yzzyx; 2010-03-14 at 08:44 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Thank you very much for your help!

I was hoping that someone might post a link to a more-or-less exhaustive list of those additional creatures that may be created with animate dead, create undead, and create greater undead as I've been unable to find one so far.

I'll begin a list myself, then! Once I've a respectable number I'll post and maintain an updated list under the following format:

{table]Creature Name|Book/page|spells used|brief description[/table]

Feel free to contribute.

obnoxious
    sig

7. - Top - End - #7

{table]Name|Book and Page|Spells needed|Notes
    Bone Creature|BoVD p184|create undead, create greater undead|skeletons that retain intellect and the abilities they had in life
    Corpse Creature|BoVD p185|create undead, create greater undead|zombies that retain intellect and the abilities they had in life
    Bonedrinker|MM3 p19|create undead CL15 and Knowledge(religion) 10|made from bugbears or hobgoblins. pounce, constitution drain
    Bonedrinker, Lesser|MM3 p19|create undead CL12 and Knowledge(religion) 7|made from goblins. constitution drain
    Necrosis Carnex|MM4||
    Blackwing|MM5 5|unhallow and create undead CL 18|made from corpses of giant eagles
    Bonespur|MM5 156|create undead CL8|requires six medium corpses. charges and explodes, reforming next round
    Sanguinous Drinker|MM5 143|create undead CL15|greases the area with blood and drains constitution with every attack, healing in the process
    Serpentir|MM5 158|create undead CL10|requires six medium corpses. acts as two creatures. improved grab followed by a constrict/swallow whole-like grapple
    Spectral Rider|MM5 161|create grater undead CL12|created from the corpse of a mounted warrior of at least 6th level. Desecrates its area, permanent magic circle against good, can become incoporeal as an immediate action, unholy weapon, phantom steed at will[/table]

Books Fully Checked:
    Book of Vile Darkness
    Monster Manual III
    Monster Manual V
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-03-15 at 11:14 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

There's a neat little undead doodad stitched together from a lot of corpses and held together with iron bands (it had a negative energy touch, if I remember right, so necromancers tended to create them as medics for their undead armies), and I know the book they were in had rules for creating them, but I can't remember which book it was or even the monster's name for the life of me.

Oh, and Corpse and Bone Creatures (templates, technically) from the Book of Vile Darkness. Can be created with Create Undead spells. Not likely to get DM approval, though, since they don't suffer any penalties and keep all their class levels.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    There's a neat little undead doodad stitched together from a lot of corpses and held together with iron bands (it had a negative energy touch, if I remember right, so necromancers tended to create them as medics for their undead armies), and I know the book they were in had rules for creating them, but I can't remember which book it was or even the monster's name for the life of me.
    Necrosis Carnex, MMIV. Creepy-looking critter.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Oh, and Corpse and Bone Creatures (templates, technically) from the Book of Vile Darkness. Can be created with Create Undead spells. Not likely to get DM approval, though, since they don't suffer any penalties and keep all their class levels.
    I allowed them this way: the necromancer,to unlock the knowledges needed to animate CC and BC must complete a sort of quest (say, retrieve the book of a necromancer called Nagash, if you like quotes).
    Last edited by Kaiyanwang; 2010-03-15 at 08:01 AM.
    Warning: my time zone and internet acces may lead to strange/late post answers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    The rogue isn't really using charisma in melee, the rogue is applying Ability Score #6 to his Type-One attacks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ken-do-nim View Post
    DMing is how you turn D&D from a game into a hobby.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroon View Post
    Players can see a story where there isn't one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    For 4.0? I expect them to whine to the DM until he makes the big bad boogeyman go away.

11. - Top - End - #11

Updated the list a little. Going to be a busy week for me but I'll try to add at least a few more by the weekend.

obnoxious
    sig

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Just checked MM4: The Necrosis Carnex can be made by an 11th level caster using Animate Dead, 3 Medium corpses, and cold iron bands worth 200 GP.
    Animate Dead takes 10 minutes to cast when animating a Carnex.

13. - Top - End - #13

Here's a list that somebody already made for this. I'm not sure if it's missing anything, but it seems pretty complete.

Hope it helps!
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I made a table containing all (non- campaign specific) undead and a way of creating them all with my own homebrew prc. It's in my signature.