A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 52 12345678910112651 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 1540
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    May 23, 1500.

    The headmaster office have not changed a bit since the last time you have been summoned there. The room is nicely decorated with many different weapons and armours of high quality, some of them no doubt enchanted. The place looks more like a room to plan battle than what one would expect of a headmaster office. In the middle of the room, there is a table with many maps of various training grounds and battle plans that will be used for other students today. The headmaster desk is in the right corner of the room and as usual everything on it is exactly at the same place as you remember, which makes you wonder if he really use it. The only notable change is the table on the right side. That one usually empty now support six packs.

    Fernand Gallion, the headmaster of the Academy and head of the fighters, is standing behind the middle table. He is an old human, wearing a nicely decorated scalemail. With him are each leaders of your disciplines. To his left the huge dragonborn Medrash Zzlarsh, leader of the cleric and invokers, wearing a nice tunic with Kord symbol is standing tall. He look at you with respect and pride. On the other side of Fernand, Che Cosa, head of Sorcerer, is looking at the maps. He doesn't look up as you come in. The small one eye halfling with spiked orange hair seems to be oblivious to your arrival, being absorbed by the documents he is studying. In the shadows of the left corner of the room, Malaggar the dark elf is resting against the wall. He is the head of the rangers and you know him to be impatient with students and really quick to punish them. The last but not the least is the leader of the rogues, Tibius Malroche , a small and calm human. He was standing on your side of the table and as all you come into the room, he smile at you and says,
    "Welcome, I hope your not too nervous. Today's the day for you all!"
    Giving a wink and a smug smile to Visk, he walk around the table to stand with the rest of the teachers.

    Fernand nod to each of you in turn as you come into the room. When your all standing behind the central table, he says,
    "Good morning kids. I assume your all ready for your final exam. As you surely already know, this exam is similar to other training missions you did before with the exception that no teachers will go with you, assist and supervise it. You'll be on your own, each other responsible …."

    At that, Che Cosa look up and interrupt Fernand with a serious face,
    "To shorten the next 10 minutes of Fernand speach, use what we've thaught you not to get defeated. Dont let whatever you'll face win and use your gut to strangle and then hang you to a tree like I would if I were them."
    You can see his one eye full of bloody veins look at you and your all sure he meant what he just said. Even the others teachers are a little shaken by the halfling outburst.

    Clearing his throat, Fernand continues,
    "Well, I guess you all get the warning, so here are your objectives. You'll be meeting with a caravan at the crossroads near the Green Forest (La foret Verte) tonight. You will report to Mark Shane, the leader of the guards and assist him all the way up to Torres. This arrangement is already made and we have received the money for that task. Also food and Inns are already paid for in that part of the mission. From Torres, you will travel to the town of Grandvents where you will meet with the nobleman Filass De L'aurore and give him this letter."
    At that, he place a sealed letter on the table, bearing the Grandpre's Seal,
    "You are to execute the job he will ask of you, up to the extent of your capacities. Don’t be bold like some have been 3 years ago. Know your limits and respect them."
    With this some sadness appear on his old face.
    You all remember that 3 years ago, one of the fighter died during the final exam.
    "When your done, sire De L'Aurore should write a report of your actions and give you a payment to return us. Any questions?"
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-15 at 11:43 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Keler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Az (-7GMT)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    After what seemed like an eternity Dorn was finally ready to face Grandpre's final exam. He had spent the last few days taking great care in packing his adventure's kit as well as polishing and shaping his weapons. Now that he's in the headmasters office Dorn does his best to stand still and not fidget.

    "About how long will the journey to Grandvents take, sir."
    56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    For the last few days, Marv has been worried that the final exam would involve sitting at a desk and recalling everything he's learned.
    But now realizing he gets to go out into the world and do something, Marv immediately begins to loosen up and perform stretches before Fernand can even finish explaining the test.
    Marv's only reply is to grin and briskly shake his head. No more questions, time for real adventuring!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    Fernand ponder Dorn question a couples seconds before replying,
    "Should take you a little bit more than two weeks if all goes well. Maybe more if the caravan is really slow."
    With that, Fernand take out a map of the country and put it on the table. He then trace a path with his finger on the map.
    "You'll meet with the caravan here, at the cross road south-east from Grandpre. You'll then travel with them on the road toward Fort-Du-Col. From there, you'll go through the Neck Peaks (Les monts do col) and then the Black Marsh (Les marais noirs) up to the town of Villenoire. From there you'll help the caravan up to Torres. From Torres your on your own. I suggest you take the north road up to Bartos, then Grandvents."
    Fernand look up from the map and add,
    "Speaking of being on your own, these pack are to help you for the road from Torres and the travel back here."
    Spoiler
    Show
    Each pack contains 20 golds and one potion of healing (level 1) Shopping is possible at the academy before you leave, if you need some mundane stuff or rituals components.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-15 at 11:43 AM.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Sounds like a bag o' fun, says Ace sarcastically, shuffling his cards. Should we get goin', then?
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    Che Cosa reply to Ace with an cheerful tone and a wicked smile, his head slowly tilting from side to side,
    "That's the spirit boy!"
    From his earlyer comment, you're all pretty sure he is imaginating Ace, being hung up by his guts in a tree, being tossed about by the wind.

    Fernand will add,
    "If you dont have any more quesitons, you're free to go whenever. If you leave within the hour and pass throught the fields, you should arrive in time to meet the caravan."

    Fernand take a short pause to see if there is more questions, before concluding with,
    "Remember, you represent the Grandpre Academy on that mission, be respectful and honour that name."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'll make the game move forward in a couples hours - somewhere after dinner - to leave some time for those who havent reported in yet to ask questions if they want (or those who have more questions).
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-15 at 01:45 PM.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    finalepic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Dect looks at the map thoughtfully. His eyes pause over the Neck Peaks.

    "Are there any known bandits in the areas we're travelling through?"

    Despite the question, Dect does not look the least bit worried. Rather, there's a faint look of challenge on his face. He's been in training for too long for some upstart outlaws to even begin to challenge him.
    Avatar by CrimsonAngel

    [3.5] The Magus: A hopefully happy medium between wizards and sorcerers. Please, do PEACH.

    I enjoy pushing the boundaries of 3.5. Sometimes I end somewhere with a nice balance that's fun, sometimes I end up with no balance at all. I never know until I try, right?

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    Medrash answer Dect calmly,
    "Not to our knowledge, unless of course you consider goblins and such as bandits. Then maybe in the Black Marsh you might encounter trouble you seek. Other than that, the road is the road. Bandit group can form up anywhere at any time, more so in these hard times."
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-15 at 03:35 PM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    finalepic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Dect sighs.

    "I suppose that's the thing about bandits. They're unpredictable. No matter, they should be no issue regardless."
    Avatar by CrimsonAngel

    [3.5] The Magus: A hopefully happy medium between wizards and sorcerers. Please, do PEACH.

    I enjoy pushing the boundaries of 3.5. Sometimes I end somewhere with a nice balance that's fun, sometimes I end up with no balance at all. I never know until I try, right?

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Alright! Lets get to it!
    Marv grabs a pack and immediately heads to the door, throwing it open. He remembers his manners with one foot through the threshold. He looks back to the instructors
    Thank you, everyone, for this opportunity. I promise you, I'll make you proud!
    Marv looks at the other students
    I'll be waiting by the door. If you take to long I'll have taken care of this adventure all by myself!
    Marv grins ones again, given his current horrible burn scars and patchy beard, it's not the most pleasant thing in the world, but it gets the message across as he tromps out the door.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    Malaggars cold voice reply instantly to Marv's,
    "Finaly! Someone with some good sense. You should follow his lead before I decide to go wait for you on the road and make Che Cosa dreams come true."
    You can notice exasperation in his voice.
    The other teachers do not appear surprised by Malaggar reply, you can even see a small knowning smile appear on Fernand face, as if he knew it would happen.


    Spoiler
    Show
    As I said before , I'll post the next step some time after dinner. I'll allow some time for the others to come in (also if you want to ask something still, you can try) and you can use time to talk among yourselves IC
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-15 at 03:59 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Ace grabs a pack. Travel light - there is no way to know wht Lady Luck will throw our way. I'll be ready to leave soon - I hope the rest of you can say the same.

    The Sorcerer then turns to the instructors. May Luck smile upon you all, instructors. With any luck at all, we'll make you proud to call us adventurers. Ace then leaves the room to go to his own quarters, to fetch his walking stick and a few other odds and sods.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Franklin, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Visk walks into the room behind her companions, less following them than studying them. Her face is placid, almost bored, until Malroche's wink, which brings both a frown and the hint of a smile to her lips. She listen's to the instructions silently, leaning against the wall by the door with her arms across her chest, her frown deepening in concentration.
    After the last of her companions has retreived their pack, she strides forward, her whispy frame held high, confident in her every step, and takes the last pack. She finds Malroche's eyes and nods slowly as if to say You can count on me.
    She looks down at the map and traces her finger along the route that Fernand pointed out. I like it. Should anything attempt an ambush in this terrain it will they who are walking into the trap.
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-17 at 10:45 AM.
    Public education: mind control for the masses.
    Organized religion: brainwash for the soul.
    National government: forced morality for the people.

    A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Keler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Az (-7GMT)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    "We shall not let you down" says Dorn to his instructors. He then walks up to the table and grabs a pack. "Lucky I packed the day before and will be able to leave at once." Dorn follows Ace out of the room.
    Last edited by Keler; 2010-03-15 at 04:56 PM.
    56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Baldric laughs with a loud guffaw, shaking his head, "Aye, Moradin has a sense of humor. I am now to protect travellers from people like me. I will have to teach them about the strength of Moradin and the proper way t' use it." He then examines the pack, especially the money within. "How much beer will this buy me to carry with us, I wonder. Anyone know what a keg runs?.. no.. too annoying to carry.. It'll have to be travelling whiskey."

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    finalepic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Dect looks over to Baldric's dillema.

    "Perhaps something even stronger? It'd be a bit more expensive but easier to carry." He looks thoughtful for a moment. "If its strong enough, perhaps it could double as a medical supply in a pinch."
    Last edited by finalepic; 2010-03-15 at 08:25 PM.
    Avatar by CrimsonAngel

    [3.5] The Magus: A hopefully happy medium between wizards and sorcerers. Please, do PEACH.

    I enjoy pushing the boundaries of 3.5. Sometimes I end somewhere with a nice balance that's fun, sometimes I end up with no balance at all. I never know until I try, right?

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    When you’re all ready leave the Academy, there is still a couples hours left before noon. You take a small trail through the fields so you can reach the crossroad in time.
    As you walk, you see the farmers working to prepare the fields. With the disastrous harvest of the last season, caused by early cold weather and winter, the farmers have to work hard to first clean the wasted crops and then prepare the lands.
    You will travel the rest of the day, walking among some fertile hills and plains.
    Around dinner time, as you come on top of a big hill, you get full view of the Green Forest. You can spot the crossroad a mile to the west. A couple miles directly to the south, you can see the caravan making its way north. There is five carts pulled by some heavy duty horses and about 10 traders. They are protected by slightly more than a dozen soldiers, all wearing a tabard with a black eagle.

    They should arrive at the crossroad just a little bit after you.

    When the caravan reach the crossroad, a burly man wearing an heavy scalemail and riding an warhorse notice you. He lead his horse ahead in your direction and tell you,
    "Hello, are you our reinforcements from Grandpre? I'm Mark by the way, who's in charge of your group?"
    Upon receiving an answer, he tells you, not wanting to waste time,
    "Alright, just protect the rear of the caravan for now and we will discuss it when we rest. Send the two mens from the back to me, I'll relocate them."
    He then address his mens,
    Alright guys, lets move, I want to reach the camp spot before darkness falls.

    Many people look at Dorn and Dect with some concern, but none openly doing anything about it. You can spot that they seemed to complain to Mark though, and after what you assume a couple complaints, he tell everyone loud and clear,
    "Listen everyone, these kids have been sent to help me from Grandpre Academy. If they couldnt be trusted, they wouldn't had sent them. And no they aren't imposters, I knew there was an HALF-orc among them.
    With that he give a nod to Dorn. This put an end to the direct complaints.
    You will travel for two more hours up to the edges of the Green Forest.
    As people prepare the camp, Mark approach your group,
    "Sorry for the little incident, people tend to react badly with uncommon races. I must confess I am not exent to this, but still I trust whom sent you. I was thinking to put you up front for the rest of the trip. I asked who was to leader so I dont have to manage you six individually, but I can also mix you all with my soldier if you prefer so you can blend in more, but I think it will take some time for all of them to get used to your presence, mainly yours."
    Mark end his sentence looking at Dorn and Dect.

    A fire will be lighted and some soldiers will cooks some dinner for everyone. You eat with everyone. You also are incorporated into the watch for the night.

    May 24, 1500
    In the morning, the caravan depart quite early. The caravan enter Green Forest and you will walk the whole day within it. It is an extremly old forest. Some tree had to be removed to make the road, but other than that, the forest seems untouched by humanoid hands. You break camp early that day. Some of the soldier gather a hunting team, tentativly inviting Dorn and Visk to participate. Luck was on their side and they found good game and you can all eat some fresh meat that night.

    May 25-27, 1500
    The next day, you exit the wood after two hours of walking, just in time to get soaked by heavy rain. You will travel within plains, hills and some rare small woods. It takes three days of travel, under rain most of the time, to reach Fort-Du-Col on a muddy road that slowed the caravan quite a bit. You come into view of the Fort at dusk on the 3rd day. It is a small and old keep built just where the mountain pass start. It completly blocks the path to stop anything that would try to pass there. The keep can support around an hundred people. You get a well deserved warm and dry bed that night.

    May 26-June 1, 1500
    In the morning, you enter the Neck Peaks (Les Monts du Col) pass. As you do, Mark will tell you,
    “Alright, the real job starts. If we are unlucky, the pass might have some nasty monsters awaiting us. If not, I doubt we will pass throught the Black Marsh without a fight. So keep you eyes open and weapons ready”.
    Crossing the mountains takes two and a half day. The trip was uneventfull but still unpleasant. Some strange sound kept you awake most of the second night, but nothing showed itself.
    Crossing the marsh is quite a pain. During the three and half day of travel, you had to push carts about 35 times to help them pass muddy spots. As you come into view of Villenoire, a town built on a very fertile small Island within the marsh. You can see that this little fortified town is used to defend itself. The high wood walls surrounding bear the marks of many assault, but are in good shape. Mark will come up to you all and say,
    “You seem to have brought us luck! In my 12 years escorting convoy, it’s only the 4th time I pass both the mountain and marsh without a fight.”
    At Villenoire Inn, you’ll learn from the locals that the marsh goblin clans that have been attacking them regulary seem to have left them alone lately. People think they are fighting among themselves. Most cheer and raise their mugs at that.
    “Let these little bastards kill themselves!”
    The tensions between the caravan and you, mainly the ones caused by Dorn and Dect, seem to have vanished at that point. You all helped them a lot and somehow gained their trust, or at the least some respect.

    June 2-4, 1500
    After some good rest, you all leave Villenoire. You still have to walk 2 hours within the marsh, but the road is way better than the one going to the mountains : there is bridges to help cross muddy pools. The rest of the 3 days to reach Torres are uneventfull. You’ll notice that the farmers are working really hard to prepare the land like at Grandpre. The big difference is that people have been affected way more by the failed harvest than in Bord-Eau area. Food is rare around these parts, and it shows on the population. As you arrive at Torres gate, Mark will talk with the guards and show his papers. The caravan will procced to the market, leaving each cart where they were headed along the way. After the last cart is delivered, Mark comes to you,
    “Well done guys, thanks a lot for the hand, and the luck! If you ever look for a job, come see me, we always need some good hands. Of course, it isn’t as exciting as adventure, but it isn’t always as calm as this trip. Good luck.”
    As you walk in the city, many beggers ask for some food. You can easyly see that not only the farms were affected by the hard winter, but Torres as well.
    You still can find a nice Inn to refresh yourselves, have nice drink and celebrate. The food price is a little bit high, but it can be expected in the actual situation.

    June 5-9, 1500
    When you wake up your quite refreshed and ready for more travel. You leave Torres by the north gate. After a couple hours, the road reach the Grey Lake (Lac Gris) and start running along it. You can see many small boat with fishermens looking for some good catch. An hour or so after lunch, you cross the Gallon river, linking the Grey Lake and the Big Snake Lake (Lac du Grand Serpent). The rest of the day up to the foot of Iron Peaks (Les monts de fer) is quite boring.

    The next day, you start to go west between the Iron Peaks and the Grey lake. Traveling under a blazing sun, you meet only one horseman. He ask about the road behind you, telling you that the road up to Bartos is quite safe, before kicking his horse forward. Bartos is a small town, living mainly from fishing and hunting. The Innkeeper is quite friendly to you all.

    After a good night rest, you depart for Grandvents, again under a blazing sun. By noon, you can start to see some of the desert the north-east. Where times come to make camp, you've left the mountain side behind. You whiped by great winds coming from the desert, you find a good place a little bit into the woods to make camp. It grant some cover from the winds and you can see your not the first to use it.

    Your woken up by some heavy but short rain. It didnt last long and before noon, your all dry by the hot winds and sun. A similar camp can be found at the end of the day to shelter you from the winds.

    If possible, the winds are stronger the next day. Travel is hard and unpleasent. But after an hours or so after noon, the road start to be closer to the woods and some hills give much more cover from the desert wind. You can even find a farm or two, which indicate you must be near Grandvents. A couple minutes later, you can see the small town of Grandvents. It similar in size to Bartos, with a maximum of 250 people,and no wall protecting it. You can see the Inn of the "Sandy Hills" in the middle of the town. You can see some people doing the basic trades (smithing, carpenter, hunters...). Atop an hill directly to the north of the town, you can spot a nice mansion. A low fence is surrounding it and a man is working on the lawn around it.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Travel is finaly done.
    Inn and food at Fort-Du-Col and Villenoire is paid by Mark.
    Beer at Fort-Du-Col : 2 SP each.
    Beer at Villenoire : 3 SP

    The Inn at Torres cost :
    Dinner : 6 sp
    for the room (Include breakfast) : 7 SP
    Ale : 3 SP each

    The Inn at Bartos cost :
    Dinner : 5 sp
    for the room (Include breakfast) : 5 SP
    Ale : 2 SP each

    You have to spend 3 rations for the rest of the trip (2 more if you dont eat at the Inns).

    What do you do?

    Long post, sorry, but I condensed many days and wanted to present my world a bit to you.

    PS : For strong alcool instead of beer : beer price X 2.
    For wine glass : beer price X 4.

    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-15 at 10:50 PM.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Franklin, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Visk stops at the armory and purchases three cases of crossbow bolts before returning to her room In minutes she is wearing her oiled well-worn leather armor with a dagger strapped to a belt across the small of her back and her hand crossbow hanging at her hip. The entire way to the crossroads Visk follows several steps behind the others watching them almost broodingly.
    During the introductions, when Mark asks who the leader is, Visk follows behind whomever steps forward and watches the man closely as he berates his men and later apologizes to the group, searching his face for any signs of insincerity while listening for any further grumbling among the caravaners. She spends each day following the caravan searching the terrain for potential threats, almost hoping for something to attack them; and each night hiding just outside the radius of the campfire, silently imagining hordes of monsters pouring into the camp, herself cutting them down one by one as they realize the error of their decision.
    When the hunting party invites Visk to come hunting with them, she eagerly accepts. Even though she has little skill with hunting, she is confident that she will overcome this challenge as she has all previous.
    At the inn in the keep Visk finds a corner table where she can watch the entire room quietly and eats her meal, drinking only water, politely ignoring any flirtations from the men of the town and caravan.
    During the days crossing the mountain Visk is grumpy, not enjoying the lack of monsters, and lingers further behind the party than usual, almost as if she were pouting. During the second night Visk is jittery with nerves, unable to sleep for hoping that whatever is making the strange sounds will show itself--while trying to convince herself that she isn't scared witless.
    At first Visk is resistant to the idea of helping push the cart, but after watching her friends struggle several times she steps in, hesitantly throwing her own strength against it. She quickly comes to enjoy the work, dirty though it is, and sleeps deeply the last night of the trip before Villenoire.
    During the meal at Villenoire, Visk is dubious of the water supply in the town and will ask for a cider or other drink, but will probably succumb to the excitement of the toasting and take a beer, drinking it grudgingly.
    During the three days toward Torres, Visk watches the toiling workers broodingly, often shaking her head violently as if trying to shake a particularly unpleasant thought. Once inside the town, she watches the carts stop at their destinations knowingly and a secret smile plays on her lips, even though her eyes are a complex mixture of distaste and comfort.
    She grudgingly pays for the food and a room at the inn and eats in a secluded corner.
    When the party happens upon the horseman Visk circles around to the opposite side of the street from him, watching him distrustfully, but she quickly disregards him.
    Once inside Grandvents, Visk follows the party, trusting in their decision once in town, ready to aid them should they need it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Passive Perception: 17
    Insight Roll to Sense Mark's Motives and attitude toward the party: (1d20+9)[1](10)
    Untrained Nature check: (1d20+2)[19](21)
    Insight Roll to Sense horseman's attitude toward the party and search for signs of lying: (1d20+9)[20](29)
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-16 at 09:26 AM.
    Public education: mind control for the masses.
    Organized religion: brainwash for the soul.
    National government: forced morality for the people.

    A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    A soldier tried to flirt with her and a couple people at the inns offered her a drink, but most of the time people leave Visk alone during the trip.

    When the hunting expedition came back successfull with 2 big deers, the hunters made a toast to Visk who lead them to the perfect hunting spot.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Pmed you the check results Skinshifter
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-16 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Hunting

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    The first day, Ace is largely silent, though he is quietly inspecting all of their traveling companions, and voicing his thoughts quietly to his friends. At nightfall, he decides to show the mercenaries some card tricks to lighten the mood, and asks Dorn to be his assistant, in an attempt to win the mercenaries' trust.

    On subsequent nights, he'll play card games with party members or members of the caravan, or if no one is interested, play solitaire by himself. Whenever he plays a card game and has to decide something, he flips a coin instead of thinking about it, and does that. In any card game he plays, the coin flips seem to guide him very well. Additionally, he happily lights the campfire at night with his magic, to save their allies time and effort with the flint and steel.

    He happily eats and sleeps at all the inns, though he avoids drinking ale on all occasions and drinks water, milk or juice, depending on what is available at each location. He is not nervous on any of the nights, even when he takes watch, figuring that if Lady Luck wants them to be ambushed and survive, they will, otherwise, they won't, and nothing he worries about his going to change that.

    After they check in at Sandy Hills, he speaks to the group. I presume the mansion is where our big-shot employer lives? Perhaps we should give 'im a visit? he asks as they sit around one of the tables at the inn.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    ((Oops, forgot my dice rolls. See spoiler for rolls:))

    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight to get a read on the mercenaries:
    [roll]1d20+6[/roll[

    Thievery to impress the mercenaries with his cards:
    (1d20+8)[16]

    Passive Perception: 11
    Last edited by Shadow_Elf; 2010-03-16 at 11:01 AM.
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Shadow_Elf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Muarzibet, Siraaj
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    ((I hate to triple post, but I broke one of my die rolls. Sorry ))

    Spoiler
    Show
    Insight Reroll:
    (1d20+6)[11]
    My Homebrew
    Currently DMing: Heroes on a Sea of Swords - IC - OOC - OOC II - OOC III
    Many thanks to the very talented Kymme for making an Avatar of my incredibly-specific D&D character!

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    DM
    Ace card trick impressed the mercenary a lot and using Dorn as an assistant seem to have help a lot in making the mercenary group accept him quicker. A couple mercenary will play card with him the next night and during the trip,
    "If it's just for fun though, sure. No offence mate, but we've seen how good you are with cards, I want to keep my money."


    As you walk into Grandvent, most people look at you with mild interest, before resuming their work.
    At this hour, the Sandy Hills is nearly empty. The main room is quite large for a small town Inn, having 20 tables and a long bar. In the right corner, stairs leads to the 2nd floor, to the rooms. You can see a small stage to the left beside a firepit. Behind the bar, a tall and thin man looks at you and smile,
    "Welcome to the Sandy Hills, I'm Ben. What can I serve you?"
    The only other client is a burly man with a huge mustache, wearing many layers of animal fur. He is drinking a beer and appears to already be a bit tipsy.
    "Just take a table, I'll have your orders ready as soon as possible. Halda will go serve you soon."
    At that, the Innkeeper walk into the kitchen.
    He return quickly to his post and serve another beer to the man at the bar.
    Five minutes later, a small and young human woman come into the room with your orders.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Inn services prices:
    Bath : 8 SP
    Food : 5 SP
    Beer : 3 SP
    Room : 5 SP
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-16 at 11:23 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Keler's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Tucson, Az (-7GMT)
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    May 24-June 1
    At the academy, Malaggar, the leader of the rangers, is known to be harsh, quick to anger and punish. He liked to provoke and use people feeling to make them loose control. Malaggar often insulted and made jokes about half-orcs, but by the time Dorn left he had learned to simply tune those sort of things out. So when the guards seemed to be concerned about having a half-orc with the caravan, Dorn, instead of taking it personally, worked to incorporated himself with the rest of the soldiers. He volunteered for watch, gathering food, and other various duties. By the time they reached Villenoire, Dorn was sure that he had earned there trust. He buys a round of drinks for the party celebrating a the safe journey so far.

    June 2-4
    At the Torres inn, Dorn pays for food and a room. He spend a little time asking if anyone has heard any news from Grandvent.

    June 5-9
    Although the journey was less then enjoyable, Dorn is happy that they got to Grandvent with little trouble. He celebrates by ordering a hot meal and an ale.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise for gathering information of necessary: (1d20)[5]
    Money spent: 3gp and 9sp
    Last edited by Keler; 2010-03-16 at 05:12 PM.
    56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Franklin, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    During the toast for the successful hunt Visk mearly nods, holding herself as if nothing unusual had happened.

    Whichever table the party chooses, Visk quickly grabs a chair that sets her so she can see both the door into the tavern and the stairs leading to the second floor while still being able to keep her eye on the bartender. When the woman appears at the table Visk orders a water, feigning a momentary lack of hunger. She watches the woman closely as she takes the others' orders.
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-17 at 10:20 AM.
    Public education: mind control for the masses.
    Organized religion: brainwash for the soul.
    National government: forced morality for the people.

    A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    finalepic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Dect was not bothered by the concerns of his race. It wasn't entirely unusual, and it didn't inhibit him from doing his thing, so it was moot. He was in fact so used to this kind of treatment that he barely noticed when people stopped caring. With or without, he carries on treating everyone exactly the same; with politeness, kindness, and just the faintest hint of judgement.

    Dect pays for food and a room at both inns along the way. As the trip goes on, he very obviously gets more and more restless, waiting for an attack or battle or event or something to break up the monotony of travel. It never comes. He celebrates the end of the journey by partaking in a bath, followed by food, a beer, and a room for the night.
    Avatar by CrimsonAngel

    [3.5] The Magus: A hopefully happy medium between wizards and sorcerers. Please, do PEACH.

    I enjoy pushing the boundaries of 3.5. Sometimes I end somewhere with a nice balance that's fun, sometimes I end up with no balance at all. I never know until I try, right?

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    RogueGirl

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Franklin, NC
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff check to disguise her pride bubbling over:(1d20+1)[19](20)
    Insight Check to gauge Helda's attitudes toward the party and her reaction to any mention of their employer: (1d20+9)[3](12)

    * post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Skinshifter; 2010-03-17 at 10:20 AM.
    Public education: mind control for the masses.
    Organized religion: brainwash for the soul.
    National government: forced morality for the people.

    A truly great mind is one that thinks for itself.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    MonkGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    CT, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Marv tries his best to merely go with the flow of group, largely ignoring any point of contention.
    Upon arrival in Torres, Marv immediately attempts to look up Jalbert Lune, to describe in great and exaggerated detail all thats happened since leaving Torres.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Streetwise: d20: 12; Modifier -1; Result: 11

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground
     
    DwarfBarbarianGuy

    Join Date
    Oct 2009

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    Baldric spends the time generally being talkative and genial, for a dwarf at least. He doesn't talk about much of anything specific, but from the way he carries himself, he makes it clear he doesn't care about anyone's race. He tries to get into theological arguments with Dect, probably losing to Dect's superior intelligence, but refusing to admit it as a loss. As time goes on, he picks out a few of the other guards to both talk more to and try and convert to following Moradin.

    When it does come to drinking, he is often the first to partake, but for all his bluster, he is very careful about how much he drinks, usually happier to get others drunk around him. They're easier to convince if they're a little sloshed after all.

    At Torres, he does get the room (and the breakfast that goes with it) but that night, instead if dining He buys a golds worth of bread and breaks it up to give to the beggars he can find, blessing them in the name of Moradin. During the the three days there, he only eats the breakfast that comes with the room and repeats the giving the bread to the beggars. He doesn't do this in front of the inn, so unless followed the others may not know about it. If asked why he is skipping supper, he'll make some excuse about being able to get drunk more easily on an empty stomach.

    Spoiler
    Show
    I've lost track of drinks, so I'll just assume 10 gp drinks and inns until town and spend 2 gp more on bottles of whiskey before we left (I'd still have one full one by this point likely) does this sound fair?

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Grandpre Academy (Second group)- DND 4E (IC)

    At Torres, Marv will leave the group for the night and come back in the morning to depart with you all for Grandvent.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Marv : You have no trouble to find Jalbert. He is quite happy to see you and listen to your stories and invite you for dinner. You can see he is quite happy and proud of what you've done so far. He offer you to use his house for the night so you can save the Inn cost (he have to work anyway - night shift).


    During the travel, Baldric have many philosophical discussion with everyone. Some are receptive, other aren't at all, having strong beleif of their own, mainly in Pelor.
    At Torres, beggars are numerous and Baldric manage to touch and help many people the night he is there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Baldric : You stay only one night at Torres, 10 is a lot, but if you spend that much on food for beggars, it is ok.
    Last edited by Dekkah; 2010-03-17 at 08:56 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •