New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Lights off with candles

Anybody ever play like this? Was thinking it could be cool for a creepy feeling game, but visibility in the books could be an issue.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Lights off with candles

The problem with candles is that the game table is already pretty cluttered and this is just another thing taking up space. Also, you'd need more than one candle, at the very least.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-03-15 at 06:16 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by FoE View Post
    The problem with candles is that the game table is already pretty cluttered and this is just another thing taking up space. Also, you'd need more than one candle, at the very least.
    You could have candles around the room. Anybody ever seen the movie Mazes and Monsters? : p

...if not you should, its a horrible 80's movie about the dangers of d&d and I believe it was Tom Hanks' first role.
    Gary Gygax: "As an author, I also realize that there are limits to my creativity and imagination. Others will think of things I didn't, and devise things beyond my capabilities".

Also Gary Gygax: "The AD&D game system does not allow the injection of extraneous material. That is clearly stated in the rule books. It is thus a simple matter: Either one plays the AD&D game, or one plays something else."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

We do it sometimes for creepy atmosphere or just when we are going into dark places and it works wonders in getting everyone in character but then we also use thematic music and other items (such as incense for wizard labs).

Oh and about visibility either keep one candle on a tall candlestick close to the DM (behind his screen if you use a screen) or a laptop if you have access to one. But if you go with the laptop then use a screen to block the light from it from the players so it doesn't disturb the mood.
    Last edited by pffh; 2010-03-15 at 06:23 PM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post
    We do it sometimes for creepy atmosphere or just when we are going into dark places and it works wonders in getting everyone in character but then we also use thematic music and other items (such as incense for wizard labs).

Oh and about visibility either keep one candle on a tall candlestick close to the DM (behind his screen if you use a screen) or a laptop if you have access to one. But if you go with the laptop then use a screen to block the light from it from the players so it doesn't disturb the mood.
    Sounds great, I think Ill try it out next game.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Zombie

Depends on the game. I'd love to do this with, say, World of Darkness. But with Dungeons and Dragons, I'd prefer regular lighting.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    ...if not you should, its a horrible 80's movie about the dangers of d&d and I believe it was Tom Hanks' first role.
    Oh yeah, he started believing he was his character and killed somebody. A comedy, in other words.

If they wanted to scare kids off of D&D, they should have told them that pretty girls don't like nerds.

It wasn't his first role, though you could argue it was his first role in a movie. I heard he refuses to discuss it.
    Last edited by FoE; 2010-03-15 at 06:30 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ozreth View Post
    Sounds great, I think Ill try it out next game.
    Just be careful. I know fire solves all problems but there is one problem it doesn't solve and that's finding a new DM after the old one burned to death.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

9. - Top - End - #9

ClericGuy

Yes i tried it once. Once. My eyes hurt so bad trying to read the small lettering with such low light. You will want to tear your eyes out
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post

DM says: WHY!? WHY!? WHY?!
    DM means: NO! NO! NO!!!
    Player hears: GOOD JOB PLAYER! DO IT AGAIN AND AGAIN!

10. - Top - End - #10

It wasn't his first role, though you could argue it was his first role in a movie. I heard he refuses to discuss it.
    Haha yeah he even went as far as to say he wasnt even in the movie in one interview.

The best part is that the profile picture of his face that is on the dvd cover was taken like 10 years later.

Also, the castle and dragon on the dvd cover arent even in the movie.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to avoid having wax drippings on my books and table. Plus there's the risk of knocking candles over.

It's also harder to look for floor dice in the dark.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

One gaming session I was at, there was a massive thunderstorm, power out, one of the player's cars trapped under a fallen tree limb, so we gamed by candlelight and the occasional flash of lightning.

Very dramatic.

...keep the candles away from the numbskulls, and keep an eye on the pyromaniacs. We like to burn stuff, and an already going flame is...tempting to say the least.
    Life is a gamble, roll the dice. If your life is like cards, rig the deck.

"Boy, sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tchya think?" -Jayne
    Greatest number of kills In Valhalla Round 1 with Hsams Goht

13. - Top - End - #13

It can be fun and interesting to use a dark & candle-lit setting, but admittedly it's a bit tough on the eyes if you try to read by candlelight.

When I was a (overnight) camp counselor over the summer in my youth (oh so long ago it seems) we would play World of Darkness (Vampire mostly) games out on the picnic tables at night. We had those big bucket citronella candles though, which perhaps give off a bit more light.
    And if we had to read something, we'd use our flashlights.

So there ya go... keep some LED flashlights or something as a light back up... they wont ruin the mood at all. Actually, flashlights can even add more atmosphere. Maybe the good-aligned cleric of the group should get a mag-lite: "I shine my light upon thee hellspawn! Taste the wrath of my 4 D batteries!".
    Ever hold a mag-lite? That's a blunt weapon if I ever saw one!
    High order of The Marshmallow

Ellipsis Abuser...

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I feel like having burning clutter is a recipe for all the clutter to be burning.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Using little kerosene lanterns might be slightly safer and just as dramatic, though.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

16. - Top - End - #16

You know, there used to be a time when we didn't have to keep obsessively referring to books in order to play the game

Sorry, who let gramps in here

I did once do a Call of Cthulu game in candlelight (and with a _very_ good GM). It was mucho atmospheric. So much so, that when there was a strange noise in the kitchen, no-one would go out to investigate. So I said 'Pah, stop being so silly, it's just a game' and got up to go into the kitchen. As I got to the door, I stopped and suddenly realised I didn't know where the light switch was in the kitchen. So I came back, saying there was no way I'd go into a room where I couldn't turn on the light - I'd seen too many movies!
    Look at me - I'm Robespierre!

Have you ever considered eating your own lungs? I can show you how to prepare them if you'd like.

Safe is for NPCs. I live on the edge

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethdred View Post
    You know, there used to be a time when we didn't have to keep obsessively referring to books in order to play the game

Sorry, who let gramps in here

I did once do a Call of Cthulu game in candlelight (and with a _very_ good GM). It was mucho atmospheric. So much so, that when there was a strange noise in the kitchen, no-one would go out to investigate. So I said 'Pah, stop being so silly, it's just a game' and got up to go into the kitchen. As I got to the door, I stopped and suddenly realised I didn't know where the light switch was in the kitchen. So I came back, saying there was no way I'd go into a room where I couldn't turn on the light - I'd seen too many movies!
    Did all the PC's go insane from the horrible sights before them?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ethdred View Post
    My group doesn't, but the table is cluttered with flammable material nonetheless. It's something I'd rather avoid.