New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: karate-ificer

1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Default karate-ificer

So, I just kinda remembered that somewhere in Tome of Battle are items that function like scrolls (just like there are psionic versions of scrolls)

So I was thinking:

What if you had a character who relied only on these to fight.

Gallitor, Paladin: "Quick, stop him from escaping!"
    Neville, Artificer: "Umm.. uuhh.. oh god which scroll; here it is! How to punch a guy. Step one.. punch a guy... "
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: karate-ificer

Doesn't work - you need to know the martial maneuver to scribe a martial script. Artificers can't emulate that.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Doesn't work - you need to know the martial maneuver to scribe a martial script. Artificers can't emulate that.
    What is the spell that grants a fighter bonus feat? first use a scroll of that for the maneuver. Would that work?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Yes, but you'd only qualify for basic moves.

Really, those items are fairly cost ineffective. You're better off using spells that have similar effects, because spells tend to have more bang for your buck.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    What is the spell that grants a fighter bonus feat? first use a scroll of that for the maneuver. Would that work?
    You wouldn't be able to learn any maneuvers with prerequisites, and all higher level maneuvers have prerequisites.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Heroics.

You could abuse Psychic Reformation somehow, I'm sure of it. Or dip Chameleon for the floating feat. You could get three floating maneuvers this way, which can grab some high-level ones. Or adapt a Maneouvre to Spell Archivist like there is an StP Erudite, but less so.
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2010-03-16 at 08:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Ah. I was hoping they could do the whole "Emulate Any Class Feature" gig.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukisto

Really, those items are fairly cost ineffective. You're better off using spells that have similar effects, because spells tend to have more bang for your buck.
    Given that the original idea was "Guy who writes down attacks so he can know how to use them" it isn't exactly an optimization thread
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

I mean it's sub par to an obtuse degree. Almost all of the manuevers in isolation do very little, a lot of them depend on the character also being decent without it in melee. Few make someone bad at melee good at it.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You wouldn't be able to learn any maneuvers with prerequisites, and all higher level maneuvers have prerequisites.
    Not all. The 9th level Stone Dragon maneuver, Mountain Tombstone Strike, has no prereqs. None of the Shadow Jaunt/Stride/Blink maneuvers have prereqs, either. However, you still need a high enough Initiator Level, which will be problematic since non-martial adepts get only 1/2 IL per level.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

See, I'd go at it from a Regalia of the Nine perspective. Crown of White Raven and so forth: you know, the wondrous items that you only need have "knowledge of a maneuver from school X" and Craft Wondrous item for? Then work from there.

Edit: And if you really want to be abusive, it doesn't say you have to know the maneuver, just that you have "Knowledge Of it," an unusual wording more like how a druid needs to know of an animal to wildshape as it. Saw a swordsage go at it once? Boom, Knowledge Of.
    Last edited by golentan; 2010-03-16 at 08:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.