Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Inevitables & Aberrations

INEVITABLE
    Hailing from the lawful neutral plane of Mechanus, inevitables are constructs Whose sole aim is to enforce the natural laws of the universe.
    (Monster Manual)

INIMICAL TO NATURE
    Aberrations have no rightful place in the natural order of things. They are interlopers and invaders, creatures whose presence damages the fragile chains of being that define the natural world.
    (Lords of Madness)

So shouldn't Aberrations constantly be being attacked by Inevitables?

How about Elans? Not only are they aberrations but they have also broken the “Everyone dies eventually" rule, being that they are don't die from old age.
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Inevitables & Aberrations

If they're a cosmic/global threat, yeah. Inevitables don't care about every random choker or aboleth holed up in some dark, secluded portion of the universe minding its own business.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Except there are no inevitables whose purpose is to attack monsters outside the natural order of things (closest being the marut, which targets liches).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

I for one can see the inevitables warring against the aberrations, is this your campaign world? That doesn't sound like a bad focal point...

DM[F]R
    Pelor's White Flame, where the sun has been extinguished, arcana is disappearing, and the undead are taking the world for their own.

Espisito, NG Elf Ranger 9/ Skylord 4
    Mandar, CG Half-Vampire Human Archivist 9/Tainted Scholar 3
    Maximillian, LG Human Knight 8/Annointed Knight 3/ Legendary Leader 3
    Melahen, CG Human Sorcerer 4/Mage of the Arcane Order 9/Archmage 1

RIP Masm, Goodbye Castiel

More Truenamer utterances Here

Epic Dwarf Binder avatar by me.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor View Post

How about Elans? Not only are they aberrations but they have also broken the “Everyone dies eventually" rule, being that they are don't die from old age.
    Elans are a secretive group of Gingers: the first rule of Elan Club: you don't talk about Elan Club.
    So Inevitables never find out unless Elan acts dumb like brags.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Appropriately for magic robots from the plane of absolute law, each type of inevitable has a specific purpose that it pursues single-mindedly. You could homebrew one that hunts aberrations, but the existing kinds don't care because it's not their job.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I'm sure there would be a type of Inevitable designed to hunt aberrations, WotC just didn't do a write up for one.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

"What you must learn is that these rules are no different than the rules of a computer system. Some of them can be bent. Others can be broken." - Morpheus, The Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Krellen View Post
    Remember, Evil isn't "selfish". It's Evil. "Look out for number one" is a Neutral attitude. Evil looks out for number one while crushing number two.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    So Inevitables never find out unless Elan acts dumb like brags.
    Inevitables don't hunt Elans because they believe an "Elan" is a bard who survives out of sheer luck. Then again, Elan is Chaotic, growing stronger, having character development and IS genre-savvy, so why an Inevitable hasn't gone against him is out of my grasp.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Manual
    Mind Flayer
    Alignment: Usually Lawful Evil
    I fail to see the problem.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Not all kinds of law is the same, you know...
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Not all kinds of law is the same, you know...
    No, but they're all better than not being Lawful (to an Inevitable, anyway.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Technically, the inevitables are enforcing the concrete laws of the universe. Mind flayers are trying to enforce the laws of a bizzare, alien society on this perfectly serviceable one. Is generally bad mojo.
    My Homebrew
    Five-time champion of the GITP monster competition!

Current Projects:
    Crossroads: the New World: A pathfinder campaign setting about an alternate history of North America, where five empire collide in a magical land full of potential. On the road to publication!

Epic Avatar and Sigitar by AlterForm
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Splendor View Post
    (Monster Manual)

(Lords of Madness)

So shouldn't Aberrations constantly be being attacked by Inevitables?
    The inevitables don't protect nature, they protect the fundamental state of the universe.

But yes, it's kinda weird.

They do die at 1000+10d% years old according to the EPH.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    The inevitables don't protect nature, they protect the fundamental state of the universe.

But yes, it's kinda weird.
    Yep, surprisingly they care not about Truenamers who are remaking the rules.
    But then that might be a nerf to Truenamers to make them attack Truenamers for using their class features..
    They do die at 1000+10d% years old according to the EPH.
    That was errated to a sideways 8. Yes, they live forever now.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

But then that might be a nerf to Truenamers to make them attack Truenamers for using their class features..
    Why not? They did it to the Green Star Adept.

I... see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

I... see.
    That's why Elans are so awesome. It's fun to play a character who looks down on Dragons for being shortlived.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Lower levels arcane spells are usually a drag, but lower level psionic powers are often just higher ones waiting to be augmented.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    That's why Elans are so awesome. It's fun to play a character who looks down on Dragons for being shortlived.
    The best part is, they're humans. The ultimate human. Suck it, elves!

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Squish View Post
    Technically, the inevitables are enforcing the concrete laws of the universe. Mind flayers are trying to enforce the laws of a bizzare, alien society on this perfectly serviceable one. Is generally bad mojo.
    That's a problem for us on the Material, but you can see how Mechanus might not really care one way or the other.

Hell, they might actually HELP, seeing as how the Mindflayers' greatest enemies live in Limbo and all.
    Last edited by Optimystik; 2010-03-17 at 09:58 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by jokey665 View Post
    *coughwarforgedcough*

Truename magic is 'normal.,' or at least more normal than normal magic, since by definition it uses the base code of the universe and simply tweaks sub-sections of it.

Yes, technically inevitables should attack aberations, but they probably only do so in their copious (/sarcasm) spare time.
    In Dungeons and Dragons, racism is frowned upon, unless you're playing an elf. Then it's an interesting character trait.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Why not? They did it to the Green Star Adept.
    Ironically, the biggest danger to GSAs is other GSAs.

"My starmetal! I saw it first!"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

If they're a cosmic/global threat, yeah. Inevitables don't care about every random choker or aboleth holed up in some dark, secluded portion of the universe minding its own business. - jmbrown

Except there are no inevitables whose purpose is to attack monsters outside the natural order of things (closest being the marut, which targets liches). - Runestar
    “Maruts represent the inevitability of death. They confront those who would try to deny the grave itself. Any who use unnatural means to extend their life span (such as a lich) could be targeted by a marut. Those who take extraordinary measures to cheat death in some other way (such as sacrificing hundreds of others to keep oneself safe from a plague) might be labeled transgressors as well.” –MM1 pg 159

They don’t care whether or not it's a cosmic/global threat. They care about each one.

Maruts don't just go after liches, they go after any who use unnatural means to extend their life.
    Always attack a man’s strengths, No one ever expects you to attack the strongest part of the fort. Up the middle that’s where the action is. And it’s the same in life. Don’t run away, attack them head on as their coming at you at full speed. Because that my friend is living.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Everybody knows that the real reason is that Inevitables don't care about anything but what the PC's are doing. They are basically a license for the DM to screw with his players for doing things that the DM's BBEG does unhindered.

22. - Top - End - #22

NecromancerGuy

It would be a bit disappointing, though, if the PCs arrived at BBEG's fortress, only to find him dead and the fortress already looted and abandoned, just because some Inevitable slew him a few days earlier.
    LGBTitP

23. - Top - End - #23
    Barbarian in the Playground

Just on the whole Marut thing, they seem to only care about immortal creatures on the prime otherwise they would have to wage war against almost all creatures of the inner and outer planes.

Maybe Demiliches aren't that way by choice, perhaps they take that form to escape the collective Eire of the Marut.

24. - Top - End - #24

Indeed. Being of lawful alignment does not prevent you from breaking natural laws (not simply physical laws) in the first place. A lich may be LE too, after all.

No inevitable cares about that when you break the laws it protects , just as no city watchman or police officer cares whether you otherwise don't rob people.

25. - Top - End - #25

MonkGuy

A long time ago in a ... well, you get the idea.

Truenamers are already penalized enough for using Trunamer class features...

I have been searching for a Truenamer class fix and have yet to find one, so I may go and houserule it. The class has great flavor; but that's all it is. like cotton candy. It tastes good at first, then there is the inevitable (heh...) tummyache after having too much of it.
    Last edited by Quirinus_Obsidian; 2010-03-18 at 05:47 AM.
    Funny, I always figured I'd be killed by a paladin.
    So, what you're saying is we rolled a 1 on our credit check?

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Calmar View Post
    Indeed. Being of lawful alignment does not prevent you from breaking natural laws (not simply physical laws) in the first place. A lich may be LE too, after all.
    Indeed, but Mindflayers tend towards Law as a species and thus wouldn't be as onerous to an Inevitable on principle.

Quote Originally Posted by Calmar View Post
    No inevitable cares about that when you break the laws it protects , just as no city watchman or police officer cares whether you otherwise don't rob people.
    The laws it protects are universal and abstract. Violate contracts? Illithid don't make them with other races, they see everything else as cattle. Extend life? They revile their own liches (Alhoons) as much as humanoids revile theirs. Escape punishment? The Elder Brains would beat the Zelekhuts to the punch. And so on.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Indeed, but Mindflayers tend towards Law as a species and thus wouldn't be as onerous to an Inevitable on principle.

The laws it protects are universal and abstract. Violate contracts? Illithid don't make them with other races, they see everything else as cattle. Extend life? They revile their own liches (Alhoons) as much as humanoids revile theirs. Escape punishment? The Elder Brains would beat the Zelekhuts to the punch. And so on.
    Quaruts may beat up the elder brains if they meddle too much with their psionic powers.
    "No extra charge!"

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Volkov View Post
    Quaruts may beat up the elder brains if they meddle too much with their psionic powers.
    If the Quaruts haven't gone after them by now for simply arriving in our time in the first place, they must have deemed their presence here to be necessary to some kind of timeline self-repairing contingency.

I agree that further disruptions might make them a target, but as you yourself pointed out that's really an Elder Brain issue rather than an Illithid issue.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Geddoe View Post
    Everybody knows that the real reason is that Inevitables don't care about anything but what the PC's are doing. They are basically a license for the DM to screw with his players for doing things that the DM's BBEG does unhindered.
    Eh, there's stuff from Wizards designers saying they're meant to be about 50-50, since you can see PCs breaking the laws but you can also see their enemies breaking the laws and therefore the inevitables aiding the PCs.

Incidentally, the existence of Quaruts means that Celerity is not overpowered.
    Last edited by magic9mushroom; 2010-03-18 at 06:37 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I'd say aberrations violate the rules the gods set when they created the worlds of the material plane.
    For the inevitables, aberrations are just not what the gods intended to create, but by the rules of the multiverse, they don't violate the laws of existance in any way.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor - Writing Sword & Sorcery
    Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying