New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Anti-Awaken?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Anti-Awaken?

This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if there's a 3.5 spell that is essentially the opposite of Awaken? I don't mean a spell that simply counters Awaken either, we're talking a spell that reduces an intelligent creature to animal-like sentinence? Thanks in advanced :P.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Anti-Awaken?

There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Golden-Esque View Post
    This might be a silly question, but does anyone know if there's a 3.5 spell that is essentially the opposite of Awaken? I don't mean a spell that simply counters Awaken either, we're talking a spell that reduces an intelligent creature to animal-like sentinence? Thanks in advanced :P.
    Feeblemind, maybe? Or Mindrape, making the animal in question think it's something else (other than malnutrition, imagine the application in making a winged animal forget it can fly...).
    "I live apart from you
    But I know the things you do
    No angel can save you, how?
    You don't need a god, 'cause I'm here now."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Anything that leaves a character at int 1-2 leaves them with the brain of an animal. The aforementioned feeblemind is a great example, and as close to anti-awaken as I think you'll likely get....... an odd thought. A wizard hits a BSF type of enemy with feeble mind followed by Charm X. Can he use handle animal to teach his new BSF tricks with a suitable bonus/penalty?
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Sleep.

Ha ha, I make joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    A wizard hits a BSF type of enemy with feeble mind followed by Charm X. Can he use handle animal to teach his new BSF tricks with a suitable bonus/penalty?
    According to the description of the Handle Animal skill, yes he can (at a -5 penalty. Well, +5 to the DC, technically, but same difference). Only 3 tricks, though. I'm thinking that Defend, Heel, and Guard would be most useful for a meatshield.

Feeblemind actually makes a character dumber than most of the animals in the Monster Manual. It gives a character the Intelligence of a lizard and the Charisma of a zombie. It's very much the anti-awaken; it's even roughly as reversible, if one rules that limited wish, wish, and miracle are capable of undoing awaken. (They should allow a saving throw if so, obviously.) It's especially bad for arcane casters, of course, since they tend to have the most Charisma and/or Intelligence to lose, and it removes the ability to cast spells, and they take a big penalty on their saving throws. Kinda stinks that you need to be an arcane caster to use it... Inflicting animal-like stupidity would fit in just fine with Druidic animal-related magic and Clerical debuffing, but I guess that they decided to balance this one by making it available only to characters especially susceptible to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.