New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default DM doesn't get it (Rant)

I've removed the body of this post because I'm done ranting. I've moved on with it, some DMs are new and do things they shouldn't. The steam has been blown off. Thanks to everyone who posted for giving me the chance go calm down about this so I can move on. In the end, it was probably both of our faults. Everyone will still side with whatever side they supported and say, "so-and-so was righter!", but it boils down to failures in communication on both ends. Those of you computer savvy will still be able to read my posts, which have not been removed, just made REAL hard to read.
    Sorry, but I'm a bit burnt-up by this, and I have to rant.
    The lead-in.
    Eberron 3.5ed Campaign setting
    DM has told player that all books with "Wizards of the Coast" log are accepted books to pull from
    Playing a LE character who plans to multiclass as both paladin of tyranny and blackguard
    DM tells player after the character is made, 1:30 after the game was supposed to start that he isn't allowing UA, as well as any non-LG Paladins. Player gripes, DM gives.
    3rd-level game
    Later in adventure, party encounters 4 Gnolls, followed by a Red Dragon(spawn?) CR7, followed by a Minotaur (CR6). Defeat said monsters with one casualty (mummy PC to Red Dragon(spawn?).
    Walk into a room with several Kobolds. CE Barbarian grabs head Kobold with a non-critical touch attack followed with non-critical grapple check and shoves him into a DM created portable hole, Kobold goes into stasis, and gets let out later with little to say about the incident, and cowers in fear from the party. My PC apologized for the rudeness of the barbarian, and was dripping with politeness
    My PC proceeds grab two MW mining picks left by fleeing Kobolds (who did not return for >30min at least, never saw said Kobolds return)
    The gripe:
    Player attempts to sell above mining pics in town, talks to a shopkeeper. Shopkeeper offers 500g for two, PC rolls diplomacy, rolls 14, shopkeeper counter-offers with 475g. PC feels insulted and goes next door. First shopkeep calls 2nd and tells him of the previous conversation, second shopkeep offers 250g for both.
    Why would a shopkeeper every go LOWER on his bid, if not to directly insult the offerer?
    PC feels insulted, and posts offer at local adventurer's guild. Sells mining picks to Kobolds for 600g EACH.
    Kobold (who previously cowered in fear from the party) shows up, casts a DM-created curse on the PC, DM informs the players that he is a 20th-level caster (in a 3rd-level game), and ports out. DM does not roll to hit player on the touch attack needed, save is DC 30 (again, 3rd-level game).
    Player casts detect magic, no magic is present.
    Next morning, player is a cursed with being a gnome.
    PC goes to the clerics of the evil order he follows, and is told that it is a curse, removable by remove curse. PC asks the price of said 3rd-level spell (MV <300), cleric tells PC it will cost >1700g. Later were told that the good clerics down the street sell the same spellcast for 150g.
    Because EVERYONE knows that it's good economics to sell things 12x your competitor's asking price in the same market.
    Last edited by Raptor2213; 2010-03-22 at 08:40 PM.
    "Acceptance of failure is an invitation for its repetition."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: DM doesn't get it (Rant)

Man, that's just stupid all-round.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Why on Earth would anyone pay hundreds of gold for a small-sized mining pick?

Other than that... Looks like a lot of poor communication to me.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

...?

I have no clue what the GM could possibly be thinking.

EDIT:@^ They're masterwork. Although the player may have erred in trying to sell Small masterwork picks to Medium creatures, the logical response is for shopkeeper 1 to say "I don't have any use for tiny little picks, you should go look for someone small enough to use them," not make any offer, and especially not lower his offer in response to a non-epic fail Diplomacy check
    Last edited by Kallisti; 2010-03-21 at 01:36 AM.
    "Once upon a time, a story was never finished..."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

This DM seem really incoherent at the least. There's plenty of suspension of disbelief and it just doesn't really make sense. I think he's pretty poor from what I've heard...

This DM needs to learn how to DM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Eject that guy from his position or from the group. Failing that, eject yourself. No game better than bad game.

Nothing described above is redeeming in any fashion. Essentially, you're playing for someone only interested in reveling in power. I very much doubt you'll get a good game in given the stupid crap that went on over something so mundane as selling excess equipment.

Ugh. I'm annoyed and it didn't even happen to me.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm almost willing to buy that he's got some crazy meta-plan behind all this insanity.

Consider for a second - he had shopkeepers offering low prices, then even lower prices (presumably to punish you for haggling and slowing down the game), then even lower prices (presumably to punish you for comparison shopping and slowing down the game), then... gives you a fairly high price on a silver platter?

Odd. Either he's the most chaotic DM I've seen (and I've seen some doozies), or he's got an intricate master plan. Or both.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisti View Post
    EDIT:@^ They're masterwork. Although the player may have erred in trying to sell Small masterwork picks to Medium creatures, the logical response is for shopkeeper 1 to say "I don't have any use for tiny little picks, you should go look for someone small enough to use them," not make any offer, and especially not lower his offer in response to a non-epic fail Diplomacy check
    A masterwork mining pick =/= a masterwork weapon. It's a masterwork tool for Profession (Mining). It's worth about 53 gold by default, and by standard rules can be sold for half that. And even if they were weapons instead of tools.. 500gp is a massively larger offer for them than you would normally get, and I don't know why the players/characters would be crazy enough to have refused it in the first place.

9. - Top - End - #9

RangerGuy

i feel sorry for the shopkeepers in this world. Thats like spending 10k on a shovel because its really nice.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    i feel sorry for the shopkeepers in this world. Thats like spending 10k on a shovel because its really nice.
    I really like that sandwich's appearance! It's quite endearing! *buys sandwich*

Dude...you just paid that guy fifty bucks for a sandwich.

I know!
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Learning to DM takes time... But this sounds just plain silly. Either he's a genius that has a plan so vastly far beyond what you're ready for, or he needs PunPun to smite him.

I'd say your rant is acceptable, but give it another chance before starting the mutiny and taking the position of DM for yourself then run him through Tomb of Horrors.

12. - Top - End - #12

RangerGuy

OH *(&%^!

that pickaxe is the one that will pierce the heavens!
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

He might of considered that the store owners would value it differently?
    Or the fact that evil clerics aren't usually specializing in removing curses, so they would have a lower stock of said remove curse. Failing that much, he's an idiot and thats about all I can defend him on.

14. - Top - End - #14

This looks like a lot of miscommunication and petty releases of frustration. I'd advice both of you to seriously knock it down or the Snarl will destroy your game.
    Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books.
    E. G. Gygax

Lawful member of the Hinjo fanclub
    Treegrappler of the Durkon fanclub

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

So... basically, this DM makes up numbers as (s)he feels like it, without regard for game balance or realism or what the books say? For no apparent reason, to no obvious end?

That's... interesting. There are several possible approaches that you could take to this issue. For example: You could stop taking the story at all seriously, just play along, and wait to discover what level of insanity the DM is capable of reaching if simply allowed to proceed without criticism. This could, potentially, be fun. Alternately or in addition, you could have your anti-paladin plot to murder everyone for their inappropriately nonsensical behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
    Abstract positioning, either fully "position doesn't matter" or "zones" or whatever, is fine. If the rules reflect that. Exact positioning, with a visual representation, is fine. But "exact positioning theoretically exists, and the rules interact with it, but it only exists in the GM's head and is communicated to the players a bit at a time" sucks for anything even a little complex. And I say this from a GM POV.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor2213 View Post
    Why would a shopkeeper every go LOWER on his bid, if not to directly insult the offerer?
    I'm not insulting you, I'm teaching you a lesson: I was being very generous, because I'm used to offer good prizes for the first-time client, so they come back. And you try to negotiate?!? well, try next door.

PC feels insulted, and posts offer at local adventurer's guild. Sells mining picks to Kobolds for 600g EACH.
    ...but this is inconsistent.

PC asks the price of said 3rd-level spell (MV <300), cleric tells PC it will cost >1700g. Later were told that the good clerics down the street sell the same spellcast for 150g.

DM informs the players that he is a 20th-level caster (in a 3rd-level game), and ports out.

Normally, I would find this the worst thing, but must be said that this is one the most recurrent mistakes, for new DMs.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    A masterwork mining pick =/= a masterwork weapon. It's a masterwork tool for Profession (Mining). It's worth about 53 gold by default, and by standard rules can be sold for half that. And even if they were weapons instead of tools.. 500gp is a massively larger offer for them than you would normally get, and I don't know why the players/characters would be crazy enough to have refused it in the first place.
    He said that they qualified as MW Light Picks (therefore weapons)

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Normally, I would find this the worst thing, but must be said that this is one the most recurrent mistakes, for new DMs.
    He's a new DM. I think I'm going to try to tough it out. But DANG, I had to bitch to get this outa my system. The bad thing is, one of the other players was actually DEFENDING the DM's position. That this was fair market value/economics.

Edit: Rant closed!
    Last edited by Raptor2213; 2010-03-22 at 08:41 PM.
    "Acceptance of failure is an invitation for its repetition."

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Temotei221 View Post
    I really like that sandwich's appearance! It's quite endearing! *buys sandwich*

Dude...you just paid that guy fifty bucks for a sandwich.

I know!
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, Sandwiches are one of the top 5 items Wished for.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    I'm not insulting you, I'm teaching you a lesson: I was being very generous, because I'm used to offer good prizes for the first-time client, so they come back. And you try to negotiate?!? well, try next door.
    1 - "You made me angry so now I will reduce my initial offer" doesn't sound like a good business model. Especially since the first haggle is for testing the water between the client-merchant so pissing off a client, especially an adventuring one..

2 - It's not really "try next door" really, because he magically calls over to screw over the deal.

3 - Why the hell the other merchant listens to him? He knows that the slight reduction in cost caused the PCs to search for a better deal. He either wants to make the purchase and then he won't do it, or he doesn't want to buy the damn pick and he won't give any offer, because he knows they won't accept such an offer.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

20. - Top - End - #20

That this was fair market value/economics.
    D&D has never had that.

Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    <snip>

Of course, Sandwiches are one of the top 5 items Wished for.
    "And your other wishes?"
    "Why would I need other wishes?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Samm View Post
    This DM needs to learn how to DM.
    This man said it.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

He's making it up as he goes along, that much is obvious. He's deciding things on the fly to work against the party.

As said previously, he doesn't seem to know how to DM. The DM is tasked with playing with the party, not against it. Playing with the party offers challenges to the party, but does not actively work to screw them over if they do things he does not like, as that guy is doing.
    Credits to Nathan for my avatar!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

It's theoretically possible that your DM has some sort of obscure logic to rationalize his sporadic, irregular, PC-hurting behavior.

Or he just has no clue what he's doing.

Or he's being intentionally foolish.

I would suggest talking to him, trying to figure out which one of the above is the case. Hopefully this will lead to a greater understanding between both of you... or maybe it will just lead to quarrels and friendships being dissolved... but either way, at least you'll know why this is happening, and that can be comforting.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Touchy View Post
    He might of considered that the store owners would value it differently?
    None of the DM's pricing makes sense. Nor does punishing the player for trying to get more. Naturally the player will be wanting to get as much gold for his loot as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchy View Post
    Or the fact that evil clerics aren't usually specializing in removing curses, so they would have a lower stock of said remove curse. Failing that much, he's an idiot and thats about all I can defend him on.
    There is no "stock" of remove curse. At worst, the evil cleric should just say, "I did not ask my god for the ability to cast that spell today. Come back tomorrow." There's really no reason for the evil clerics to charge that much.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MachineWraith View Post
    There is no "stock" of remove curse. At worst, the evil cleric should just say, "I did not ask my god for the ability to cast that spell today. Come back tomorrow." There's really no reason for the evil clerics to charge that much.
    I can think of two, one IC and one OOC, but neither one really makes the DM look good considering why a Remove Curse was needed in the first place (for those with short attention spans, a 20th level caster spontaneously generates, casts an irresistable curse on a 3rd level character, and disappears.) The IC reason is that the cleric thinks he's the only source of this spell for the character, so he can safely gouge the PC for whatever he wants (the flaw is that it really shouldn't be too hard for somebody to talk a good cleric into uncursing him, even if he appears to be Evil. Which he doesn't, 'cause right now he's a gnome.) The OOC reason is the DM may have realized just how ludicrously he over-paid for those two picks and wanted an excuse to take some of the money back from the party.

27. - Top - End - #27

MonkGirl

Personally if I was an evil cleric and I noticed that a local evil adventurers group needed a remove curse I would do it for free, of course asking for a favor in return later ;) (cause that's how evil rolls baby!)
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Evard View Post
    Personally if I was an evil cleric and I noticed that a local evil adventurers group needed a remove curse I would do it for free, of course asking for a favor in return later ;) (cause that's how evil rolls baby!)
    No, that is how Lawful Evil rolls. Chaotic Evil and Neutral Evil would probably just not cast it on them, after taking the money.

29. - Top - End - #29

Whew. I clicked on this thinking it was about me.

EDIT: Wait, you have other DMs? *Runs away crying*
    Last edited by Zom B; 2010-03-21 at 07:38 PM.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

30. - Top - End - #30

MonkGirl

Couldn't a polymorph spell also work to turn the guy back from being a gnome? Lol an evil bard could cast some sort of image to make them think he got turned back lol
    I have to give Paizo credit...

They took an established work and said they fixed it but didn't actually fix it and yet still made money off from it.

How can you beat that?