New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Dire weasals

1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Default Dire weasals

How would you advance a dire weasal past 9 hd?

My player is a kobold ranger that took levels in wild plains outrider and a beast master dip, so his dire weasel is now past the level 9 hd, but I'm not sure what to do with it now.

Would you just throw templates on? Increase the size again--which would be ridiculous.

Where are the rules for such a thing?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Dire weasals

Just keep adding the HD on, and improve its basic stats (eg: hp, bab, skill points, saves, feats) as appropriate. Ignore any limits their entry may state.

They never improve a size category from this sort of HD advancement. And it may allow them to exceed their normal allotment of HD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Advancement HD gained from making a creature a high-level character's animal companion is handled differently from normal advancement as described in the Monster Manual. Animal companion advancement ignores the normal Max HD guideline, and never increases the animal's size. You can advance that weasel to your heart's content. Check the animal companion rules in the druid class description for details.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

Devil

Do you have a reference I could check? For like examples and stuff?

Edit: Thanks
    Last edited by Adonis1x23; 2010-03-21 at 10:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

It is mentioned in the 3.5 FAQ. Search for it on the wotc site, I am at work now, so it is not convenient to search for the related entry and post it. Sorry.