Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon

Thread: Dead [Template]

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dead [Template]

The Dead

Some things are just meant to die; and stay dead. The Dead appear much as they do in life; albeit with extremities that are cold to the touch and with dead eyes staring.

They may be left in their original state of dress, clothed in adventurer's attire or may be draped in funereal finery.

Despite their all too mortal appearance, the Dead are deader than a doorknob.

Creating a Dead
    Dead is an acquired template that can be added to any creature type (hereafter referred to as the victim).

A dead replaces all the base creature's statistics and special abilities with the ones below.

Size and Type
    The victim's type changes to dead (just making sure). Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice
    Decrease all current and future Hit Dice to 0.

Speed
    Reduce all movement modes to none, and reduce all speeds to 0.

Armor Class
    The victim's natural armor bonus improves by +6.

Attack
    The victim has no means of attack whatsoever.

Damage
    The victim is unable to ever cause damage to others.

Special Attacks
    A victim replaces all previous special attacks with the ones described below.

Drunker Than A Skunk (Ex): The likely amount of alcohol regurgitated by the victim causes it to be immune to magical and nonmagical poisons. Due to a pickling effect gone wrong, the dead is at serious risk of spontaneously exploding or emitting flatulence of such evil that all who breathe in its fumes are subject to sickness (as per the status effect) and cloudkill.

Fungus Paradise (Ex): A victim is a veritable paradise for fungi and other underground plant growth. Its entire body is covered with a fine bed of moss, mushrooms and fungi; a selection that is both palatable and edible. A constant plant growth spell (fruits of the forest) surrounds the victim.

Special Qualities
    A victim replaces all previous special qualities with the ones described below.

Undeath Quandary (Ex): Even though the dead is exceedingly dead, it retains some nominal aspects of undeath. It benefits from immunity to all mind-affecting effects, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects. Neither is it subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain; nor is it at risk of death from massive damage. It cannot heal damage on its own. It does not need to breathe, sleep or eat.

Deader Than A Doorknob (Ex): The victim is irrevocably dead; the soul has gone off on its own merry journey and does not heed any collect call made to the afterlife by resurrection or restoration spells. Even a miracle or wish fails to elicit the appropriate grateful response.

Abilities: Decrease from the victim, to the following ability scores, as follows: Str 0, Dex 0, Con 0, Int 0, Wis 0, Cha 0.

Skills: A victim loses all skills; it is highly unskilled, and as such should not be paid, ever.

Feats: A victim loses access to all feats.

Challenge Rating: Same as the victim -20.

Alignment: Soylent green.

Advancement: The victim can be rendered more dead by the simple passage of ravaging time. Various known stages include; pushed up daises, pushed up posies, became extinct, was made into curtains, dead as a herring, dead as a mutton, dead as nits, paid a debt to nature, shuffled off this mortal coil, headed for the happy hunting ground, blinked for an exceptionally long period of time, found oneself without breath, became the incredible decaying man, became worm buffet, kicked the bucket, bought the farm.

Level Adjustment: -20.
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Dead [Template]

If I gave a Dead creature a Belt of Magnificance +6, it'd have Str 6, Dex 6, Con 6, Int 6, Wis 6, and Cha 6? And thus with a Con of 6, it would become Alive, right?

Because normally dead things have Con -, not Con 0.

Otherwise, I like this template. It will probably see some use in my campaign.
    Last edited by Obrysii; 2010-03-22 at 07:54 AM.
    RIP Tasha, April 1986 to November 25th, 2008. 22 years and 7 months of being the best kitty ever. You will be missed forever.

RIP Finney Jr., June 1998 to March 18, 2011. Nearly 13 years of being the best goldfish ever. You, as with Tasha, will be missed forever.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

The Portable Hole Full of Beer series beat you to this, I'm afraid.
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!
    QUOTEBAWKS

Homebrew! I also take requests!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Why can't rise death/ressurrection effects revive a dead character? I thought they were made for the exact purpose of removing this condition.

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

5. - Top - End - #5

This is hilarious. On a more serious note, the CR should be a fraction of the original creature's CR, not -20. A Tarrasque is still a threat, even if it's dead.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zexion View Post
    This is hilarious. On a more serious note, the CR should be a fraction of the original creature's CR, not -20. A Tarrasque is still a threat, even if it's dead.
    Yes, the CR should be 'Original CR/0'
    Most excellent Rising Echo avatar created by GryffonDurime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardea View Post
    That is the scariest two lines I have read in a forum of any kind.
    Take two internets, a cookie and a vorpal sword, please.
    Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, drunkeness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.

Don't be stupid.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lochar View Post
    Yes, the CR should be 'Original CR/0'
    That would cause the game universe to break... having a division by zero as an explicit mechanic is VERY BAD

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

The Tarrasque tends to not die, though. It goes POOF! and goes back to sleeping deep in the earth for however long, if it would die.
    Unless you Wish it dead, of course.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

9. - Top - End - #9

It was just an example. Use a Balor if you want.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

With a -20LA you can be a Lvl 21 Wizard in a Level 1 party. You can then Astral Project out of the afterlife and break the world in 2 while the rest of the party are dealing with 2 Goblins and a Kobold.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

11. - Top - End - #11

But you're dead, right? So that wouldn't be possible.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Wish. Make sure you wish you never die, but make your statement so clear that no one can mess it up.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-22 at 03:34 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Do you lose your class levels when you die?

Maybe some type of Cotingency?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.