Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Default A Wizard's Favorite Guards

Let's say you're a level 20 wizard trying to protect their home. Which creatures are your go-to choices as guardians?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Wizard's Favorite Guards

skeletons and zombies, probably disguised.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    Let's say you're a level 20 wizard trying to protect their home. Which creatures are your go-to choices as guardians?
    Whose home?

Bah. Just kidding. I'd say traps made by yourself are the best defense, simply because you could make traps far stronger than most things that would serve as good guardians.

Nice guardians acting to stop them before they get killed by your traps and you have to reset them: Golems, goblinoids, kobolds, undead, gods...
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-03-22 at 11:07 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4

A moat of acid disguised by illusions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

As a level 20 wizard, all you really need to worry about are other casters.

Therefore you'd make golems and such that have magic immunity, to help deal with caster-shaped threats.
    Also, they'd be immune to lots of things that'd affect organic guards.

And there're so many golems to choose from...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Golems armed with tubes of Sovereign Glue. When an intruder is detected, they spread the glue on themselves and then initiate a grapple.

If you're a real jerk, do it with undead who drain levels by touch...
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Calzone Golems.Because then if I ever go hungry, my lunch is waiting just outside the door.
    Edit: And there's the Magic Immunity.

Actualy, I'd probably use a numerous amount of illusions of myself. Intimidation and House of Mirrors effect, it would at least be amusing, and give me enough time to prepare a nasty spell to take care of them myself. (The Intruders, that is)
    Last edited by Scoot; 2010-03-22 at 11:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I heard before about moving an entire mountain into the ethereal realm to protect your what have you from ethereal jaunters and incorporeals.

9. - Top - End - #9

The same sort of cheese these boards frown upon: Dragonwrought Kobolds, Tainted Scholars, Beholder Mages, etc. etc. etc.

I wonder what the best way to stat a Cheese Golem is...

Anyhow, if you're on a low-cheese diet, try an antimagic room with self-locking adamantine doors filled with naturally invisible creatures, like Invisible Stalkers and Pixies, with advanced HD of course. Place rooms like these as a perimeter around your stonghold, and get some sort of anti-teleport functionality on the rest of it (pretty easy with the Stronghold Builder's Guide).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

The Emerald Legion, obviously.
    ithilanor on Steam.

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm a cheapskate and probably spent all my WBL on my own gear, so whatever guardians I have will be "discount" style.

So...undead controlled through Command Undead, maybe a few greater planar bindings on things too dumb to betray me (Abyssal Basilisk?), some loyal minions who I've transformed into pit fiends and hydras with polymorph any object, a few permanent illusions and programmed illusions of the above monsters or myself, maybe some dominated/charmed/geas'd giants or high level fighters.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

What could also work is building your home in an area with uncontrolled monsters that can't hurt you. For example, if you're undead building in an area with many shadows. The shadows can't do anything to hurt you, but will attack any living creatures in the area.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Simulacrums of gods.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

As many crystals from my signature as possible, though considering that I'm 20th level, they might have to be lessened in some way.

But basically spontaneous casting, invisible, flying, magic-resistant, intelligent, spell countering constructs.

I personally would have traps that summon or gate in eladrin and angels. I would like a prismatic golem too. Combined with the crystals, I think I would be set when it comes to guardians.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    The Emerald Legion, obviously.
    /thread

Since Ithilanor beat me to it, I would posit that JeminiZero's Alita builds from ToS (you know, the ones that prompted multiple runtime bans) would make fairly effective guardians as well.

Failing severe cheese such as the above insanities, I'd probably use Shadesteel Golems, very very powerful undead, and traps that don't affect either of the above, all in concert with Spell Turrets packed with scary stuff.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    /thread

Since Ithilanor beat me to it, I would posit that JeminiZero's Alita builds from ToS (you know, the ones that prompted multiple runtime bans) would make fairly effective guardians as well.

Failing severe cheese such as the above insanities, I'd probably use Shadesteel Golems, very very powerful undead, and traps that don't affect either of the above, all in concert with Spell Turrets packed with scary stuff.
    Or have a number of subordinates patrolling in Borg Cubes. :D
    ithilanor on Steam.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    Or have a number of subordinates patrolling in Borg Cubes. :D
    Honestly, JZ's Alita builds scared me MORE than the Cube does. Well, more than Cube Mk 1. Cube Mk 2 with a wizard inside, yeah, that's pretty scary.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Iron Flasks scattered around. You never know when you might need a Balor around.

19. - Top - End - #19

I've always had a soft spot for kobolds as minions. They're compact, efficient, and naturally productive.

Sure, they're not all that tough, but if you give them a good reason to follow you (PaO Dragon? Better yet - PaO Gold/Bronze dragon, so you can stay human for convenience's sake), you have the single lowest support minions in all of DnD. One Field Provisions Box is 2000gp and can support 240 kobolds indefinitely, twice that if you have a warm place for them to live.

That's 8.3gp per minion. And not only are they cheap to maintain, they're good at traps, and have a generational cycle of something around 6 years. As a bonus, you can turn them into mini-sorcerors with the investment of 100gp each.

Then you can put them in tanks or something with the money you save.
    Last edited by pingcode20; 2010-03-23 at 02:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Why do you want our opinions on this, OP?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Colossus in the Playground

Just in Core, Simulacrums of various superpowered outsiders (and maybe maself!), Planar Bound Demon or two, probably reprogrammed into permanent servitude, some Golems and maybe various Animated Crap and such. And yeah, probably some traps too along with good stuff.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    Make a Kraft check.....

Anyways, I'm all for making constructs for guards.
    Last edited by Vizzerdrix; 2010-03-23 at 07:31 AM.
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

well... lets see now..

first, your home should be in your own demiplane, unreachable to anyone without your permission....

but if you need to protect some sort of building in the prime material plane how do you go about it? the first thing to know is your budget... I am very partial to "free"...

polymorph any object: I think a kobold to dragon transformation would be permanent.

Its hard to consider how much cheese is allowed... if you can go cheesy, you want to have a mirror mephit familiar who has this spell as an SLA: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/simulacrum.htm
    So it can cast it for free (SLA costs no XP or GP to cast)... you can make simulcra of the gods, yourself, outsiders, dragons, whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Yorrin View Post
    make a profession (munchiken) roll :P
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-03-23 at 07:34 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    Simulacrums of gods.
    Nice. :)

Turn yourself undead, fill your keep with 40,000 tons of Green Slime via Polymorph any Object, and then Energy Drain the slime, so that it's undead energy-draining Wight Green Slime. Fill the surrounding areas with permanant Anti-Magic Fields. Anybody who makes it though that can have whatever they came for.

It's not like material wealth has any meaning at that level anyway.

And you moved to another plane anyway. That was just a parting gift to anyone who wanted to move into your old place. :)

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Adamantine horrors
    Gold dragons (dominated of course); or a colour or type of your choice
    Alignment exemplars (dominated outsiders; succubi, cornugons, glaberzu et al)
    Phaerimm
    Invisible stalkers
    Nymphs
    Mind flayers
    Deepspawn
    To see the world in a grain of sand
    and Heaven in a wild flower
    To hold infinity in the palm of your hand
    and eternity in an hour.

- William Blake, Auguries of Innocence

26. - Top - End - #26
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Make a Kraft check.....
    /thread, again. You, sir, are gifted with wit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Set View Post
    It's not like material wealth has any meaning at that level anyway.
    i find that its typically handwaved so that it does have meaning... any trick for infinite wealth doesn't work by DM fiat; so don't even try.

it actually keeps the game from bogging down with "now what do I buy with infinity GP"
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-03-23 at 10:37 AM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Do you have a summary for those of us who don't follow the ToS, or a link to an explanation? I'd like to see something that's scarier than a Mk 1 Borg cube.
    Last edited by PairO'Dice Lost; 2010-03-23 at 10:58 AM.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Do you have a summary for those of us who don't follow the ToS, or a link to an explanation? I'd like to see something that's scarier than a Mk 1 Borg cube.
    Monstrous Regeneration + Living Construct for immunity to nonlethal + Entergy Immunity: Acid and Fire, all Dweomerkeeper'd to be Su and thus undispellable.
    ithilanor on Steam.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGirl

Honestly, JZ's Alita builds scared me MORE than the Cube does. Well, more than Cube Mk 1. Cube Mk 2 with a wizard inside, yeah, that's pretty scary.
    Can someone point me to these? My Google-fu is weak but my curiosity is strong.

As for my guardian? Do it with class and animate your house as a construct to chow down on people climbing into the windows or going through doors without your permission :D.