New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Full Attacks Houserule

Many people have instituted the houserule that you can full attack with a standard action. I don't want to obsolete regular full attacks, so I was thinking of the following rule:

Full Attacks are made at +20/+15/+15/+15

Standard actions attacks can either be +20, or +15/+10/+5/+0

What do you think?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Full Attacks Houserule

The one I was thinking:

Standard action attack = 20/15/10/5
    Full attack = 20/20/15/10/5

Your version... well, I can't see myself wanting to effectively give up my highest iterative all that often, so I'd probably be desperate for a pounce/free movement effect anyway.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

How about full attack iterates at a loss of only 4 per attack. So it's 20, 16, 12, 8, 4, 0. And standard it's 5, and you lose the first, 15, 10, 5, 0
    Overall this will boost warrior types on higher level. Not to the point where they're equal to casters, but it doesn't hurt either, right?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
    The one I was thinking:

Standard action attack = 20/15/10/5
    Full attack = 20/20/15/10/5

Your version... well, I can't see myself wanting to effectively give up my highest iterative all that often, so I'd probably be desperate for a pounce/free movement effect anyway.
    Well I didn't want to completely invalidate pounce, just give players that don't know how to get it/can't a way to do a little more with standard actions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    Well I didn't want to completely invalidate pounce, just give players that don't know how to get it/can't a way to do a little more with standard actions.
    IMO, you got what you were looking for, then.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    Many people have instituted the houserule that you can full attack with a standard action. I don't want to obsolete regular full attacks, so I was thinking of the following rule:

Full Attacks are made at +20/+15/+15/+15

Standard actions attacks can either be +20, or +15/+10/+5/+0

What do you think?
    Interesting and worth mulling over.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

I say, if the players asked for it, leave it as it is. It's a part of gameplay.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Why do you not want to invalidate full attack?

I believe the original logic behind full attack was that it made "charge and kill the wizard" a less effective strategy than "stand next to the fighter and whale on him". And the opposite thing for players.

What do you want the game-play to look like?

9. - Top - End - #9

DwarfClericGuy

My group changed how full attacks worked because it was a pain in the ass to have different target numbers flying around. For every attack after the first we have a -2 penalty to all attacks. A player is not restricted to eather 1 or all of their possable attacks in a round. It works well to speed up are combat.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

We have a rule of any Full bab'ers get full attacks as a standard action. and we have a customer feat that allows for pounce for every one else.

although we are thinking abotu adding in a rule about how every one else gets half there irriatives.
    mainly to prevent abuse with rogues and some other classes.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    We have a rule of any Full bab'ers get full attacks as a standard action. and we have a customer feat that allows for pounce for every one else..
    This is quite excellent. As it stands, warriors are pretty much locked in place by the rules while casters are free to cast and move. Removing the distinction between full attack and standard attack solves that entirely. And before someone mentions it doesn't make sense, it's worth noting that it doesn't make any more sense as it stands; on 1st level, you get one attack after move and one attack on full attack. On 20th level, you get one attack after move and four attacks on full attack. The numbers don't add up no matter how you look at them. So...yeah, sensibility is not a reason to keep the present rules.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    This is quite excellent. As it stands, warriors are pretty much locked in place by the rules while casters are free to cast and move. Removing the distinction between full attack and standard attack solves that entirely. And before someone mentions it doesn't make sense, it's worth noting that it doesn't make any more sense as it stands; on 1st level, you get one attack after move and one attack on full attack. On 20th level, you get one attack after move and four attacks on full attack. The numbers don't add up no matter how you look at them. So...yeah, sensibility is not a reason to keep the present rules.
    we have wierd formulas for charging and doing other things to but it adds a complexity to the game that we like.
    this however is my simpler fix its what led us to the more complicated stuff.

example of complicated stuff:
    When charging you get 1/2 the number of your attacks. actualy gaining the pounce feature lets you full attack at a charge.
    we make a destinction between charging and moving because we felt that it would be more interesting that way.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

13. - Top - End - #13

OrcBarbarianGuy

Someone in another thread posted that their rule was standard attacks are at 20/15/10/5 and full attacks are at 20/15/15/15. You get your full iterative either way, but your secondary attacks only take a -5 penalty each if you full attack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JaronK
    Why on earth would there be superstition in a world where you can just ask the gods stuff? "Hey, I hear throwing salt over your shoulder prevents bad luck." "Oh yeah? I'll ask the god of luck, brb."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr
    Hey, it could be worse. It could be monks. One day, someone will start a thread titled "4E monks, more morally justified than 3.5 wizards!", and the world will end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaq
    Now, of course, what is a ninja? (A miserable little pile of shuriken!)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Newby question here:

What is the different between a Full Attack and a non-Full Attack?

And what does +20/+15/+10/+5 actually mean?

Thanks
    "If Andrex is DMing, check everything for traps. There will be one xP"
    I would be Andrex

78% of DMs start their campaigns in a tavern. If you're one of the other 22%, copy this to your signature.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Full-Attack requires both Move and Standard Actions, at once. The +X means your Base Attack Bonus, and at higher Base Attack Bonuses (6, 11, 16), you get an extra Iterative Attack, at your lowest bonus -5. Hence, at 16 BAB, you're Full Attack is +16/+11/+6/+1 - you make four attacks, one with a +16 bonus (plus Str and whatever else is appropriate), then +11, then +6, then finally +1.

However, you do not get Iterative Attacks unless you use the Full Attack, so if you just use a Standard Action to attack, you get one single attack at your highest bonus (so +16 above).

Also, perhaps worth mentioning: I had a similar thought last night.
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2010-03-23 at 04:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

0.o thats nasty... but I'm the DM, so its funny instead
    "If Andrex is DMing, check everything for traps. There will be one xP"
    I would be Andrex

78% of DMs start their campaigns in a tavern. If you're one of the other 22%, copy this to your signature.

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Full-Attack requires both Move and Standard Actions, at once. The +X means your Base Attack Bonus, and at higher Base Attack Bonuses (6, 11, 16), you get an extra Iterative Attack, at your lowest bonus -5. Hence, at 16 BAB, you're Full Attack is +16/+11/+6/+1 - you make four attacks, one with a +16 bonus (plus Str and whatever else is appropriate), then +11, then +6, then finally +1.

However, you do not get Iterative Attacks unless you use the Full Attack, so if you just use a Standard Action to attack, you get one single attack at your highest bonus (so +16 above).

Also, perhaps worth mentioning: I had a similar thought last night.
    As always, you continue to outclass me. I was originally thinking of doing your way, but I thought the Full attacks and standard actions would be too similar. Now I see that it would be perfect, since players still want to full attack, but are not penalized for doing so.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Colossus in the Playground

How about this: as a full attack, on level twenty, a fighter attacks at +20/+20/+20/+20 as full-attack, while as a "standard full attack", he attacks at the normal +20/+15/+10/+5.

Edit: Oh, that's pretty much DW's idea. Nevermind, then.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2010-03-23 at 04:14 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

+20/+20/+20/+20 might be better, in that you don't have the issue where a level 6 Fighter has a +6/+1 standard action attack and a +6/+1 full attack. Though it's not really any different from the level 5 Fighter who has a +5 full attack or +5 standard attack.