Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] The Hexblade Homebrew Handbook!

Had an idea for a hexblade build direction or PrC. I might flesh it out more later when I have time.

Luck Blighter(Pick something more appropriate):

Basically the idea is a combination of hexblade and necromancer. One of the main augments to the hexblades abilities is that now not only do your auras and curses give penalties to your targets but it gives and equal buffer to the undead in the area as well. The fluff idea behind this is that the hexblades curses and class abilities are manifestations of negative energies and the luck blighter has learned how to siphon it into his undead allies.

Possible Class Features:

- Undead Hexer: Instead of a familiar or dark companion you gain an undead that can benefit from the buffs of your curses as well as delivering them itself with touch attacks.

- Luck to Unluck: The feature mentioned above of buffing undead by the equal penalties from curses.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

Woohoo! A new prestige class!

Quote Originally Posted by Dracomortis
    Prerequisites
    Skills: Concentration 4 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
    Invocations: Ability to use least invocations, must know hideous blow blast shape invocation
    Special: Eldritch blast 2d6, hexblade's curse class feature
    Just so that I'm certain, you need 3 warlock levels (for the 2d6 Eldritch Blast) and 1 hexblade level (for the curse) and one other level of pretty much anything else, as long as you get one more rank in Knowledge (arcana). You could take your first Eldritch Blade level at ECL 6. Sounds about right.

Cursed Blast
    Least 1st; Lesser 3rd; Greater 5th; Dark 7th; Eldritch Essence

This eldritch essence invocation allows you to weave your hexblade's curse into your eldritch blast, turning it into a cursed blast. Each target struck by a cursed blast must also make a Will save or be afflicted by your hexblade's curse. In order to use this invocation, you must expend a daily use of hexblade's curse. If you use a blast shape invocation that allows you to strike multiple targets in conjunction with cursed blast, you must expend one use of your hexblade's curse for each target you want to afflict; you may choose not to affect one or more targets, in which case they still take damage from cursed blast but are not affected by your hexblade's curse.
    This invocation looks good. My only concern about it is that, given that a curse is a swift action and can therefore be used in the same round as an Eldritch Blast, it's only real purpose is to conserve your swift actions and to allow you to use multiple curses in one round when combined with a blast shape invocation like Eldritch Chain. If that was your intention (and I think it is a worthwhile ability), well and good. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the ability correctly. Incidentally, I could see an Eldritch Blade burning through curse uses really quickly at high levels.

I like this PrC. None of the abilities are particularly egregious, in and of themselves. If I'm reading it right, it looks like an 8th level Eldritch Blade (ECL 13) gains Cha to damage twice against cursed opponents, but that's not necessarily a problem at that ECL. I might suggest giving full Eldritch Blast progression but half invocation progression, simply because the focus of the class seems to be melee combat rather than invoking skill. I could go either way on that, however. Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive
    I rather like your spell-less class varient because I've never been a fan of the idea of innate magic users being able to pull off stuff as specific and finessed as most spells are. I rather like the idea that a Hexblade is basically oozing malevolence and screwing with everyone's luck in the area and instinctively cursing people with foul language instead of empowering himself with Jump spells that he can use...for some reason.
    I hadn't thought about it that way, but that's a great bit of flavor for the spell-less version. It's still magical, it just manifests that magic in different ways and with less refinement. Thanks!

I'd be inclined to make the radius larger and make it affect allies, just not as much or possibly simply giving them a bonus on their saves because there's less hate/malice behind it.

I think Aura of Distraction aught to scale with class level [just to keep it relevant past level 9 or so].
    Done and done. Good ideas.

Aura of Paranoia would be fine if the patch had something that allowed them a benefit when they were flanking an opponent, but as it is, it seems entirely unhelpful to the Hexblade itself, especially when you could have Vampiric Aura, which is hillariously good by comparison. Possibly add a small bonus to the class for attacking flanked targets? Cha mod or something? Just to make it seem actually worthwhile...
    My jury's still out on the Aura of Paranoia. I'm thinking of removing it entirely, especially now that the auras apply to everyone, not just enemies. It seems to become a liability a bit to easily, though I could probably be convinced otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Satyrus
    Had an idea for a hexblade build direction or PrC. I might flesh it out more later when I have time.

Luck Blighter(Pick something more appropriate):

Basically the idea is a combination of hexblade and necromancer. One of the main augments to the hexblades abilities is that now not only do your auras and curses give penalties to your targets but it gives and equal buffer to the undead in the area as well. The fluff idea behind this is that the hexblades curses and class abilities are manifestations of negative energies and the luck blighter has learned how to siphon it into his undead allies.

Possible Class Features:

- Undead Hexer: Instead of a familiar or dark companion you gain an undead that can benefit from the buffs of your curses as well as delivering them itself with touch attacks.

- Luck to Unluck: The feature mentioned above of buffing undead by the equal penalties from curses.
    I like this idea a lot! I'd suggest a feat that added a bit of negative energy damage to the hexblade's curse ability. Maybe make that a prerequisite for the class and then give class abilities that build on the negative energy/curse link to buff the hexblade's undead companion(s). Maybe even give the hexblade some limited undead creation abilities, like the Dirgesinger PrC from Libris Mortis or just access to Animate Dead. There's all sorts of fun things you could do with negative energy, undead and hexblades. I'm really looking forward to see how this turns out.

Thanks again for the comments and input, everyone. Keep it coming!

Mephibosheth
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2010-03-26 at 11:35 AM.
    The Scroungers Campaign Setting
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew
    A Zombiemageddon Campaign Journal!

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

mind linking the feats in the character build sections to Realmshelp? I'm not familiar with most of them...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

4. - Top - End - #34

Done and done, at least for those I could find online.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #35
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mephibosheth View Post
    Woohoo! A new prestige class!
    Just so that I'm certain, you need 3 warlock levels (for the 2d6 Eldritch Blast) and 1 hexblade level (for the curse) and one other level of pretty much anything else, as long as you get one more rank in Knowledge (arcana). You could take your first Eldritch Blade level at ECL 6. Sounds about right.
    Correct. Any class that has Knowledge (arcana) as a class skill would suffice for your 5th level before entering the PrC, although taking hexblade or warlock would be the most logical choices, of course.

This invocation looks good. My only concern about it is that, given that a curse is a swift action and can therefore be used in the same round as an Eldritch Blast, it's only real purpose is to conserve your swift actions and to allow you to use multiple curses in one round when combined with a blast shape invocation like Eldritch Chain. If that was your intention (and I think it is a worthwhile ability), well and good. I just wanted to make sure I was understanding the ability correctly. Incidentally, I could see an Eldritch Blade burning through curse uses really quickly at high levels.
    That is indeed my intention. The primary benefit of this, as you said, is that you can combine it with blast shape invocations to affect foes that would normally be out of range (for example, by using eldritch spear for a 250-foot range curse) or to potentially curse multiple opponents in a single turn (via eldritch chain or the like). Cursing multiple foes is intentionally costly because 1) it's not something you probably want to be doing every fight anyway (if you're fighting more than 2 opponents in a single fight, chances are they're lower CR and not worth wasting a curse on) and 2) I didn't want it stepping on the toes of your luck shaper PrC, whose entire focus is cursing multiple enemies at once.

I like this PrC. None of the abilities are particularly egregious, in and of themselves. If I'm reading it right, it looks like an 8th level Eldritch Blade (ECL 13) gains Cha to damage twice against cursed opponents, but that's not necessarily a problem at that ECL.
    You do indeed get your Charisma modifier to damage twice, provided that you chose to afflict the target with malevolent strike over your standard hexblade's curse. I think from the name that I had originally intended to have darkblade jinx apply only to melee attacks but then for whatever reason left that stipulation out. Looking at it now, though, I think I like having it apply to any attack. Probably needs a new name though.

I might suggest giving full Eldritch Blast progression but half invocation progression, simply because the focus of the class seems to be melee combat rather than invoking skill. I could go either way on that, however. Nice work!
    Heh, this is the same problem I had. On the one hand, it's a melee-oriented class, so I was inclined to give it half progression. On the other hand, hexblade already has access to some spellcasting, so when you combine that with a full casting class like the warlock, I feel like maybe it deserves more than half progression. That, combined with the fact that most of your invocations which don't affect eldritch blast are buffs and utility spells, pushed me in favor of just having an empty level at 1st and then giving it full progression after that. I don't feel strongly about it either way though, so if anyone can think of any balance issues this might cause I will of course lower it.
    Sincerest thanks to Qwernt for the amazing avatar.

6. - Top - End - #36

Bumping, with three new multiclass feats.

Hexing Binder
    You can tap into the power of the mysterious entities that are bound within you to strengthen your curses.
    Prerequisites: Hexblade's curse, soul binding
    Benefit: While you have at least one vestige bound in a good pact (meaning you passed the binding check while forming the pact), the DC of your hexblade's curse is increased by 2.

If you have levels in binder and hexblade, those levels stack for the purpose of determining the number of times per day you can use your hexblade's curse and the number of pact augmentations you can have active at one time.

Hexing Knight
    You are a special breed of dark paladins who have learned to use their smiting attacks to amplify the curses you have placed upon your foes for a brief time.
    Prerequisites: Hexblade's curse, smite good
    Benefit: When you successfully use your smite good ability against a target that is afflicted by your hexblade's curse, the target must also make a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your character level + your Charisma modifier) or be nauseated for 1 round.

In addition, you may multiclass freely between the hexblade and paladin of slaughter (if you are chaotic evil) or paladin of tyranny (if you are lawful evil) classes. You must still maintain the appropriate alignment in order to retain your paladin abilities and take paladin levels. You still face the normal XP penalties for having multiple classes more than one level apart, if applicable.

Hexing Mage
    You have dabbled farther into the arcane arts than most of your peers, and have learned to tap into that energy to strengthen your defense against magic.
    Prerequisites: Hexblade's curse, ability to prepare 2nd-level arcane spells
    Benefit: You can expend one of your prepared spells to increase the penalty of your hexblade's curse on all targets currently affected by it for 1 round. This increase is equal to one-half the level of the spell sacrificed (minimum 1). The spell is lost as if you had cast it.

In addition, when determing the bonus of your arcane resistance class feature or the DC of any hexblade spell you cast, you may apply either your Intelligence modifier or your Charisma modifier, whichever is higher. You must still have a Charisma score equal to 10 + the level of the hexblade spell in order to learn or cast it, and your bonus spells per day (if any) are still determined by your Charisma score.

If you have levels in hexblade and wizard, those levels stack for the purpose of determining the strength of your hexblade's curse and the benefits that your familiar receives.
    Last edited by Dracomortis; 2010-03-28 at 02:34 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37

RangerGuy

This is really interesting, but I still want to see a incantation based Hexblade.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat View Post
    This is really interesting, but I still want to see a incantation based Hexblade.
    By incantation, what do you mean? Like, a Hexblade based around the Unearthed Arcana incantation system? That... wouldn't be very playable, honestly.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

9. - Top - End - #39

Bumping, with three new multiclass feats.
    Aw man. I was going to post some multiclass feats eventually. Curse you, you homebrewing ninja !. Good feats. My only question concerns Hexing Binder. You say "While you have at least one vestige bound in a good pact, the DC of your hexblade's curse is increased by 2." Does "good pact" mean that you've successfully bound the vestige or does it mean that the vestige you've bound has a good alignment? I assume the former, but think that the use of "good" instead of "successful" or some similar word is a bit ambiguous. Otherwise, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by lightningcat
    I'm with arguskos on this one. What do you mean by "incantation?" Please clarify and I'll see what I can do.

In other news, here's a quick re-write of the spell-less hexblade's aura abilities. Let me know what you think of them now.

Baleful Aura: Beginning at 6th level, a hexblade learns to project a baleful aura that hinders those around her. A hexblade can activate this aura thrice per day as a swift action and dismiss it as a free action. A hexblade can only have one aura active at a time. The aura ends if the hexblade is dazed, unconscious, stunned, paralyzed or otherwise incapacitated and leaving the radius of the aura ends the effect for that creature. An opponent can make a Will save (DC 10 + ˝ the hexblade’s class level + the hexblade’s Cha modifier) to negate the effect of the aura but must make an additional Will save each time he or she re-enters the aura. The aura affects all non-mindless creatures within a 20 foot radius, though creatures the hexblade considers allies gain a +4 bonus to their Will save to resist the effects. A hexblade can select one aura from the following list at 6th level and another at 8th level and 11th level.
    • Aura of Carelessness: The creature takes a -4 penalty to AC against attacks of opportunity while within the radius of the aura.
    • Aura of Distraction: The creature must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + spell level) in order to cast spells within the radius of the aura. The Concentration check DC increases to 20 + spell level at 10th level and 25 + spell level at 15th level.
    • Aura of Fatigue: The creature is fatigued while within the radius of the aura. This condition vanishes immediately upon leaving the aura.
    • Aura of Hesitation: The creature takes a -4 penalty on attacks of opportunity made while within the radius of the aura.
    • Aura of Lethargy: Creatures affected by the aura feel their muscles and senses begin to slow, making even the flattest ground seem rough and treacherous. If a creature fails its save against the aura’s effects, it treats the radius of the aura as rough terrain.

Malevolent Aura: Beginning at 14th level, a hexblade’s Baleful Aura becomes more powerful. Any time the hexblade uses her Baleful Aura class ability, she can choose to manifest a Malevolent Aura instead. A hexblade can select one aura from the following list at 14th level and another at 18th level. She can also select an additional aura from the list of Baleful Auras instead. A Malevolent Aura functions as a Baleful Aura, except as noted below.
    • Aura of Clumsiness: All creatures within the radius of the aura must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 10 + ˝ the hexblade’s class level + the hexblade’s Cha modifier) or take one point of Dexterity damage. This save replaces the Will save normally necessary to avoid the effects of a hexblade’s aura. During every round in which her aura deals at least one point of Dexterity damage, the hexblade gains a dodge bonus to AC equal to her Charisma modifier. This aura cannot drain an opponent’s Dexterity score below 1.
    • Aura of Inaction: All creatures affected by the aura must succeed on a Will save (DC 10 + ˝ the hexblade’s class level + the hexblade’s Cha modifier) each round. Otherwise, they take no actions, although they are not considered helpless. Inactive creatures will avoid attacks as well as they can but are considered flat-footed and will not make attacks of opportunity, five-foot-steps or take any other actions.
    • Aura of Weakness: All creatures within the radius of the aura must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 10 + ˝ the hexblade’s class level + the hexblade’s Cha modifier) or take one point of Strength damage. This save replaces the Will save normally necessary to avoid the effects of a hexblade’s aura. During every round in which her aura deals at least one point of Strength damage, the hexblade gains a bonus to weapon damage rolls equal to her Charisma modifier. This aura cannot drain an opponent’s Strength score below 1.
    • Vampiric Aura: All creatures within the radius of the aura must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 10 + ˝ the hexblade’s class level + the hexblade’s Cha modifier) or take one point of Constitution damage. This save replaces the Will save normally necessary to avoid the effects of a hexblade’s aura. During every round in which her aura drains at least one point of Constitution damage, the hexblade gains fast healing 3. This aura cannot drain an opponent’s Constitution score below 1.
    Finally, a new feat for the more cautious, team-minded spell-less hexblade:

RESTRAINED MALICE [Hex]
    Prerequisites: At least one Baleful Aura
    Benefit: When you activate your Baleful Aura, you can choose to designate a number of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) as being immune to the effects of that aura. This immunity lasts as long as you maintain the aura.
    Normal: All non-mindless creatures are affected by your Baleful Aura.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

Aw man. I was going to post some multiclass feats eventually. Curse you, you homebrewing ninja !. Good feats. My only question concerns Hexing Binder. You say "While you have at least one vestige bound in a good pact, the DC of your hexblade's curse is increased by 2." Does "good pact" mean that you've successfully bound the vestige or does it mean that the vestige you've bound has a good alignment? I assume the former, but think that the use of "good" instead of "successful" or some similar word is a bit ambiguous. Otherwise, nice work!
    Good pact is actually a term from the Tome of Magic for binding purposes. It means you made a pact and do not suffer the vestige's influence. I am assuming you're not familiar with Pact Magic, which you might want to rectify (it's awesome).

Finally, a new feat for the more cautious, team-minded spell-less hexblade:

RESTRAINED MALICE [Hex]
    Prerequisites: At least one Baleful Aura
    Benefit: When you activate your Baleful Aura, you can choose to designate a number of creatures equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum 1) as being immune to the effects of that aura. This immunity lasts as long as you maintain the aura.
    Normal: All non-mindless creatures are affected by your Baleful Aura.
    Hah! I like it. On that note, I actually liked your aura-hexblade too. Sorry I didn't comment, but an old project of mine came up last night and I started a new one I've been stewing on for awhile, and I thought up something else new last night I need to get around to posting, and life actually happened at some point in here, so I've been busy.

Anyways, good work, keep it up, etc etc etc. You too Dracomortis.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

11. - Top - End - #41

A good pact, as per page 10 of Tome of Magic, is when you pass the binding check while forming a pact and thus the vestige has no control over your actions (as opposed to a poor pact when you fail the binding check, where the vestige can force you to take certain actions). I've added a bit of clarification to the feat, for those less familiar with the exact terminology.
    Last edited by Dracomortis; 2010-03-28 at 02:36 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracomortis View Post

A good pact, as per page 10 of Tome of Battle, is when you pass the binding check and thus the vestige has no control over your actions (as opposed to a poor pact when you fail the binding check, where the vestige can force you to take certain actions). I've added a bit of clarification to the feat, for those less familiar with the exact terminology.
    Uh, you might mean Tome of Magic there buddy. Also, I kinda beat ya to it.

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Uh, you might mean Tome of Magic there buddy. Also, I kinda beat ya to it.
    Whoops, that would be the one.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracomortis View Post
    Whoops, that would be the one.
    Hah, happens man. You make good material, so a slip in Tomes is no problem.

15. - Top - End - #45

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    Good pact is actually a term from the Tome of Magic for binding purposes. It means you made a pact and do not suffer the vestige's influence. I am assuming you're not familiar with Pact Magic, which you might want to rectify (it's awesome).
    Ah. Thanks for clarifying (and to Dracomortis as well). I am somewhat familiar with Pact Magic and have read through Tome of Magic, but it's been a while and I've never actually played or built a binder. I did a quick scan of ToM to make sure of the terminology but didn't find anything about good pacts. My mistake.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Ah. Thanks for clarifying (and to Dracomortis as well). I am somewhat familiar with Pact Magic and have read through Tome of Magic, but it's been a while and I've never actually played or built a binder. I did a quick scan of ToM to make sure of the terminology but didn't find anything about good pacts. My mistake.
    Ah, well, it's a bit tricky to remember sometimes! No worries. I get a bit *ahem*zealous*ahem* about ToM and Pact/Shadow Magic, since they're my favorite subsystems evar.

17. - Top - End - #47

RangerGuy

I'm with arguskos on this one. What do you mean by "incantation?" Please clarify and I'll see what I can do.
    Invocation based, not incantation. I read what I wrote twice, and still messed it up. Invocations, like the warlock, not incantations, which are cool, but a totally different subject.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Feats

GREATER DARK COMPANION [Hex]
    Prerequisites: Dark Companion class feature, hexblade level 3
    Benefit: Any enemy affected by your dark companion takes a -3 penalty on its saves and AC. As your hexblade level increases, this penalty also increases, becoming -4 at level 10, -5 at level 15, and -6 at level 20.
    Normal: Any enemy adjacent to your dark companion takes a -2 penalty on its saves and AC.

LOOMING COMPANION [Hex]
    Prerequisites: Dark Companion class feature, hexblade level 3
    Benefit: Any enemy within 10 feet of your dark companion takes a -2 penalty on its saves and AC.
    Normal: Only adjacent enemies are affected by your dark companion.
    Haven't had time to work on the undead themed Hexbalde PrC but just noticed something. The above feats require hexblade 3 and the dark companion class feature which is unavailable until level 4 anyway. So the level requirement doesn't really need to be there unless there's a way to acquire a dark companion before level 4 that I'm not aware of.
    Last edited by Satyrus; 2010-03-29 at 08:34 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Thanks for catching that. Not sure why I didn't notice that before...
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

In preperation for the prestige class

DESECRATED HEX [Hex]
    You concentrate the natural dark energies of your curses so much that living beings are damaged by your Hexblade's curse.
    Prerequisites: Hexblade's Curse
    Benefit: Whenever you target a creature with your Hexblade's Curse, in addition to the normal penalties imposed on a failed save the target takes +1d6 points of negative energy damage for every -2 the target recieves from the curse. Even on a successful save the target still takes half the negative energy damage. So at 7th level a hexblade would deal an additonal +2d6 negative energy when using their hexblade's curse and give a -4 penalty when their target fails a save.

Alternatively...

PLAUGING HEX [Hex]
    You infect the targets of your Hexblade's curse with a spike of negative energy that festers.
    Prerequisite: Hexblade's Curse
    Benefit: When you designate a target for the use of your Hexblade's Curse ability and your opponent fails their save you deal an additional +1d6 points of negative energy damage in addition to the penalties normally applied. For a number of rounds equal to your charisma modifier the target takes another 2 points of negative energy damage. This damage, but not the penalties normally applied with a Hexblade's Curse, stacks with itself. The effects of this draining can be cured by a Remove Disease, Break Enchantment or other similarly powerful effect.

Which would be more sutiable, or should both be available?

21. - Top - End - #51

I think I like "Desecrated Hex" better, mostly because its use seems simpler. The ongoing damage of "Plaguing Hex," while interesting, seems like it would be difficult to keep track of in a game, especially since the amount of ongoing damage can change. For me, simpler is, in general, better, and "Desecrated Hex" is the simpler of the two feats while still being worthwhile and interesting.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here's what I came up with for the prestige class. And I'm changing the name of the custom Hex feat required to Unhallowed Hex so that it doesn't conflict with the name of one of the class abilities that make more sense. Hope everyone likes it.

Hexer of Unlife

{table=head]Lvl|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
    1|+0|+0|+0|+2|Hexblade's Curse, Undead Companion, Luck to Unluck|+1 level of existing class
    2|+1|+0|+0|+3|Rebuke Undead|+1 level of existing class
    3|+1|+1|+1|+3|Curse of the Dead|+1 level of existing class
    4|+2|+1|+1|+4|Desecrated Curse|+1 level of existing class
    5|+2|+1|+1|+4|Unlife Siphon|+1 level of existing class
    6|+3|+2|+2|+5|Greater Descrated Curse|+1 level of existing class
    7|+3|+2|+2|+5|Curse of the Undead|+1 level of existing class
    8|+4|+2|+2|+6|Infectious Desecrated Curse|+1 level of existing class
    9|+4|+3|+3|+6|Unluck to Luck|+1 level of existing class
    10|+5|+3|+3|+7|Field of Unluck|+1 level of existing class[/table]

Hit Dice: d8
    Requirements:
    Feats: Unhallowed Hex*
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells
    Special: Dark Companion class feature, Hexblade’s Curse Class Feature
    Class Skills:
    The Hexer of Unlife's class skills are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script(Int), Intimidate (cha), Knowledge(Arcana) (Int), Knowledge(Religion),Profession (Wis), Sense Motive(Wis) and Spellcraft (Int).
    Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier

Class Features:

Hexblade’s Curse: Hexer of Unlife class levels count as hexblade levels for the purpose of determining your daily uses of the Hexblade’s Curse class ability and the penalty your curse imposes.

Spells per Day/Spells Known: At every level, a Hexer of Unlife gains new spells per day (and spells known if applicable) as if they had also gained a level in an arcane spellcasting class to which he belonged before adding the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained (except additional uses or strength of Hexblade’s Curse). If they more than one arcane spellcasting class before becoming a Hexer of Unlife, they must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day and spells known. The Hexer of Unlife may also add the spells Animate Undead, Greater Animate Undead and all Summon Undead spells to their spell list if they did not already have them.

Luck to Unluck: Whenever the target of your curse fails their will save, you may designate a single undead creature to receive a bonus equal to the penalties suffered by the target. This creature must be within range of your curse and must be under your control. In addition when an undead under the command of the Hexer of Unlife is targeted by a Hexblade’s Curse from the Hexer of Unlife they receive bonuses instead of the normal penalties the ability would impose. This bonus only applies when the Hexblade's Curse is used on an undead under his control, though should the undead be released from control it retains the bonus for the full duration it normally would.

Undead Companion: At first level your familiar or dark companion is traded in for an undead creature. This creature is a skeleton or zombie of a creature from the druid’s animal companion list and the Hexer of Unlife is treated as a druid equal to their class levels for the purpose of determining the strength and abilities of the undead companion. The Undead Companion varies from the normal rules for a druid's animal companion in terms of control because the Hexer of Unlife has complete control over their movement and actions. At higher levels the undead companion may be swapped for a more powerful base creature as a druid or a different type of undead.** If a Hexer of Unlife dismisses their undead companion from service, they may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 hours of contemplation. This ceremony can also replace an undead companion that has been destroyed.

Rebuke Undead: Staring at 2nd level a Hexer of Unlife may rebuke undead as a cleric 3 levels lower than his character level. If they already had the rebuke undead ability from another class the levels of Hexer of Unlife stack for determining cleric level.

Curse of the Dead: Starting at third level the Hexer of Unlife’s Undead Companion may deliver a touch attack once per round that has the same effect as the Hexblade’s Curse ability of a first level hexblade with the Unhallowed Hex feat (1d6 negative energy damage). The will save DC for this ability is as if the Hexer of Unlife had used their Hexblade’s Curse ability. Just like the Hexblade’s Curse of an actual Hexblade the penalty cannot stack with itself.

Desecrated Curse: Starting at 4th level when the Hexer of Unlife uses his Hexblade’s Curse ability in addition to the normal penalties imposed the target is the center of a 10ft. radius desecrate spell whose caster level is equal to your character level -3 for the duration of the curse.

Unlife Siphon: Whenever the Hexer of Unlife is adjacent to a fresh(DMs disgression) corpse of a formerly living creature they may use a swift action to siphon off the energies stored inside its body. This ability provokes an attack of oppurtunity. All undead within 30 ft. of the Hexer of Unlife and under their command gains fast healing 2 for as long as the Hexer of Unlife siphon's a new corpse each round or for a number of rounds equal to their charisma modifier if they cannot siphon a new corpse.

Greater Descecrated Curse: Starting at 6th level a Hexer of Unlife's Descerated Curse ability is improved so that the radius of the Desecrate spell is 20ft. and the caster level is equal to your character level -1 for the duration of the curse.

Curse of the Undead: Starting at 7th level when a creature that is affected by the Hexer of Unlife’s Hexblade’s Curse ability is killed they rise as a zombie or skeleton(player’s choice) on the following round under the Hexer of Unlife’s control as long as it would not exceed their HD limit for controlling undead. If the Hexer of Unlife wishes they may dismiss control, an immediate action, of other undead in order to let the new one be raised. This ability is still subject to the normal rules for maximum HD that can be raised at once.

Infectious Desecrated Curse: The Hexer of Unlife's Desecrated Curse ability now has a radius of 25 ft. and the caster level of the Desecrate spell is equal to the Hexer of Unlife's character level for the duration of the spell. In addition all those creatures within immediate 25ft. radius of the original target must make a will save equal to the first target or also be affected by the hexblade's curse and all it's penalties and damage, or in the case of your undead bonuses.

Unluck to Luck: At 19th level you may expend a use of your rebuke undead abiltiy to give great power to a few select undead. You select a number of Hit Die of undead within range of your rebuke undead abilty that does not exceed your level. For a number of rounds equal to your 3 + Cha Modifier these undead gain the following benefits. If they are attacked with positive energy treat it as negative energy and for turn attempts the damage that would normally be dealt is healed instead and if this would put the undead over their HP limit they gain temporary hit points. In addition all of them are treated as being under the effect of a desecrate and protection from good spell with a caster level equal to your class level.

Field of Unluck: Upon reaching 10th level the Hexer of Unlife has mastered the dark energies within himself and learned to unleash them over enormous areas. A number of times per day equal to the Hexer of Unlife’s charisma modifier the Hexer of Unlife can create an area under the effect of the desecration spell in a 100ft. radius centered on them self. For the purpose of this ability your undead companion is considered a shrine of your deity or ideal.

*Changed name of feat from Desecrated Hex to Unhallowed Hex
    **Powerful undead that can be chosen to be figured out

OK so what do people think needs to be tweaked, reworded, exmplained better etc?

A specific that needs to be worked out too is what more powerful undead would be available to be an undead Companion at higher levels.
    Last edited by Satyrus; 2010-04-05 at 08:08 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. In general, I'm a fan. I think this does justice to the concept and is fairly solid, mechanically. A few comments:

Quote Originally Posted by Satyrus View Post
    Requirements:
    Feats: Unhallowed Hex*
    Spellcasting: Ability to cast 1st level arcane spells
    Special: Dark Companion class feature, Hexblade’s Curse Class Feature
    I guess I don't understand why the Dark Companion requirement, other than requiring at least 4 hexblade levels. The PrC doesn't really do anything that would require a Dark Companion and in fact replaces it with an undead companion. I would remove that requirement, add some ranks in Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft (skill requirements are always fun and a good way to require a minimum level) and perhaps require the character cast hexblade spells, rather than any arcane spells. Just a thought.

Luck to Unluck: Whenever the target of a Hexer of Unlife’s Hexblade’s Curse ability fails their will save the Hexer of Unlife may designate an undead, within range of a Hexblade’s Curse, under their control to receive a bonus equal to the penalties suffered by the target. In addition when an undead under the command of the Hexer of Unlife is targeted by a Hexblade’s Curse from the Hexer of Unlife they receive bonuses instead of the normal penalties the ability would impose.
    Just a re-wording suggestion, mostly idiosyncratic. I would go with, "Whenever the target of your curse fails their will save, you may designate a single undead creature to receive a bonus equal to the penalties suffered by the target. This creature must be within range of your curse and must be under your control." It just seems clearer to me. And I know I'm inconsistent with the "you" vs. "the <class name>, but in this case I think "you" works better.

Also, to clarify, if an undead creature is the target of a curse from a different hexblade, it doesn't gain these bonuses, right?

Undead Companion: At first level your familiar or dark companion is traded in for an undead creature. This creature is a skeleton or zombie of a creature from the druid’s animal companion list and the Hexer of Unlife is treated as a druid of 4 levels less than their class levels for the purpose of determining the strength and abilities of the undead companion. At higher levels the undead companion may be swapped for a more powerful base creature as a druid or a different type of undead.** If a Hexer of Unlife dismisses their undead companion from service, they may gain a new one by performing a ceremony requiring 24 hours of contemplation. This ceremony can also replace an undead companion that has been destroyed.
    Given that your effective druid level tops out at 6, it seems pretty underwhelming. I think I would have the Hexer of Unlife's effective druid level equal her class level. I also think the hexblade should get some better communication method than normal for animal companions, especially given the Curse of the Dead ability. Perhaps mental control like the Dark Companion. Otherwise it would be pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure what undead I like for more powerful companions, but some incorporeal ones should definitely be on the list if at all possible.

Curse of the Dead: Starting at third level the Hexer of Unlife’s Undead Companion may deliver a touch attack that has the same effect as the Hexblade’s Curse ability of a first level hexblade with the Unhallowed Hex feat (1d6 negative energy damage). The will save DC for this ability is as if the Hexer of Unlife had used their Hexblade’s Curse ability. Just like the Hexblade’s Curse of an actual Hexblade the penalty cannot stack with itself.
    I like this ability, especially if the Hexer can control his companion with greater detail than a normal animal companion. You don't, however, specify how often this ability can be used? Does it use one of the hexblade's curse uses or is there a separate pool for the companion? How many times per day?

Desecrated Curse: Starting at 6th level when the Hexer of Unlife uses his Hexblade’s Curse ability in addition to the normal penalties imposed the target is the center of a 10ft. radius desecrate spell whose caster level is equal to your character level -3 for the duration of the curse.
    This is a good ability and seems to be the crux of the PrC. It might be a good idea to give it a little earlier (say, at 4th level, switching rebuke undead to 2nd) and expand the radius or offer other improvements at 6th and 8th level.

Curse of the Undead: Starting at 8th level when a creature that is affected by the Hexer of Unlife’s Hexblade’s Curse ability is killed they rise as a zombie or skeleton(player’s choice) on the following round under the Hexer of Unlife’s control as long as it would not exceed their HD limit for controlling undead. If the Hexer of Unlife wishes they may dismiss control of other undead in order to let the new one be raised. This ability is still subject to the normal rules for maximum HD that can be raised at once.
    Another interesting ability. If you make the change I suggested above, maybe bump this ability back to 7th level in order to fill some dead levels. Also, what action is required to dismiss controlled undead (don't have my books in front of me to check if its a function of a spell).

Field of Unluck: Upon reaching 10th level the Hexer of Unlife has mastered the dark energies within himself and learned to unleash them over enormous areas. A number of times per day equal to the Hexer of Unlife’s charisma modifier the Hexer of Unlife can create an area under the effect of the desecration spell in a 100ft. radius centered on them self. For the purpose of this ability your undead companion is considered a shrine of your deity or ideal.
    Again, good ability, especially if you're in a part with other undead controllers. The radius is huge, but at 15th level it's not such an issue.

Other than those comments, the only other I would add would be an ability to grant bonus HP to your controlled undead as a way to fill up dead levels and make some of the weaker undead better at soaking damage. Ultimately, the Hexer of Undead isn't going to be that great at creating and controlling undead, so every little bit helps.

Nice work!
    Last edited by Mephibosheth; 2010-04-05 at 04:47 PM.
    Main Thread | Crunch

Other Projects
    The Giver d20
    Other Homebrew

24. - Top - End - #54
    Dwarf in the Playground

I guess I don't understand why the Dark Companion requirement, other than requiring at least 4 hexblade levels. The PrC doesn't really do anything that would require a Dark Companion and in fact replaces it with an undead companion. I would remove that requirement, add some ranks in Knowledge (arcana) or Spellcraft (skill requirements are always fun and a good way to require a minimum level) and perhaps require the character cast hexblade spells, rather than any arcane spells. Just a thought.
    The idea behind requiring the Dark Companion Class Feature is exaclty what you said, to require at least 4 levels of hexblade. Otherwise you could enter this class at 3rd level taking 1 level in hexblade to get the curse and unhallowed Hex feat and then a single level in Dread Necromancer to fulfill the other requirements. Even switching the Dark Companion Feature to Ranks would not really solve the problem because it's more advantageous at that point to just get one level in hexblade and the rest in Dread Necromancer. I spent a while thinking about if I should make it first level hexblade spells but decided against it to keep the class a little more versatile.

As the class is right now I would expect somebody to level dip in Dread Necromancer and 4 levels in Hexblade. That way they would be able to advacnce the dread necromancer's spellcasting, which is still four levels behind a pure caster, and their hexblade's curse ability. The only issue with such a build is that the rebuke undead ability overlaps which is why I put in the clause about stacking if Hexer of Unlife already had rebuke undead from another source.

Just a re-wording suggestion, mostly idiosyncratic. I would go with, "Whenever the target of your curse fails their will save, you may designate a single undead creature to receive a bonus equal to the penalties suffered by the target. This creature must be within range of your curse and must be under your control." It just seems clearer to me. And I know I'm inconsistent with the "you" vs. "the <class name>, but in this case I think "you" works better.

Also, to clarify, if an undead creature is the target of a curse from a different hexblade, it doesn't gain these bonuses, right?
    I'll reword the ability, I agree that it's awkward right now. And no an undead that is cursed by another hexblade they do not gain bonuses.

Given that your effective druid level tops out at 6, it seems pretty underwhelming. I think I would have the Hexer of Unlife's effective druid level equal her class level. I also think the hexblade should get some better communication method than normal for animal companions, especially given the Curse of the Dead ability. Perhaps mental control like the Dark Companion. Otherwise it would be pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure what undead I like for more powerful companions, but some incorporeal ones should definitely be on the list if at all possible.
    I meant for it to be under the complete control of the Hexer of Unlife, I'll fix that. And I see your point, class level = druid level it is.

I like this ability, especially if the Hexer can control his companion with greater detail than a normal animal companion. You don't, however, specify how often this ability can be used? Does it use one of the hexblade's curse uses or is there a separate pool for the companion? How many times per day?
    I had designed it to be usable every round. The reasoning behind this is because the undead companion has to enter melee to use the ability instead of just being able to see the opponent within a relatively large range. Your undead companion gains this ability at the same level the PC gains the greater hexblade's curse. And last having your undead companion just run around trying to debuff everybody it is going to get it killed very quickly in most cases.

This is a good ability and seems to be the crux of the PrC. It might be a good idea to give it a little earlier (say, at 4th level, switching rebuke undead to 2nd) and expand the radius or offer other improvements at 6th and 8th level.
    Will do, I'll add in some advances to this ability.

Another interesting ability. If you make the change I suggested above, maybe bump this ability back to 7th level in order to fill some dead levels. Also, what action is required to dismiss controlled undead (don't have my books in front of me to check if its a function of a spell).
    I'll move this to 7th level as suggested. As for the dismissal, for the purpose of switching control to newly risen undead it is an immediate action. Otherwise releasing control of the undead is a free action as it requires no more than releasing a hold.

Again, good ability, especially if you're in a part with other undead controllers. The radius is huge, but at 15th level it's not such an issue.
    I was actually afraid this was on the weak side but for the purpose of battle control, especially when the Hexer of Unlife is working with straight necromancers, it should work very well.

Other than those comments, the only other I would add would be an ability to grant bonus HP to your controlled undead as a way to fill up dead levels and make some of the weaker undead better at soaking damage. Ultimately, the Hexer of Undead isn't going to be that great at creating and controlling undead, so every little bit helps.

Added the following abilites
    - Greater Desecrated Curse
    - Infectious Desecrated Curse
    - Unlife Siphon
    - Unluck to Luck
    Last edited by Satyrus; 2010-04-05 at 08:09 PM.