New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Ranged Flanking

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ranged Flanking

Is it possible to flank a creature from a distance, at least according to this guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    There are no abilities that show any sort of synergy beyond distracting companion, which can be solved by being within 30ft of a target with a ranged weapon and have your pet flank it.
    Last edited by Geiger Counter; 2010-03-23 at 07:34 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Ranged Flanking

Quote Originally Posted by Geiger Counter View Post
    Is it possible to flank a creature from a distance, at least according to this guy.
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146351
    Are you ****ing kidding me? Starting a thread just to promote your crappy homebrew? Somebody please lock this.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Did you actually just link to your own homebrew? You could at least make a dummy account for self-promoting.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

[sarcasm ] Subtle [/sarcasm ]

xD

Even I'm not that bad lol
    "If Andrex is DMing, check everything for traps. There will be one xP"
    I would be Andrex

78% of DMs start their campaigns in a tavern. If you're one of the other 22%, copy this to your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

If not for the fact that the OP has no shame or dignity and was just lying to get attention for his homebrew, I'd suggest the Distracting Shot ACF for the ranger (replacing the animal companion at 4th level).

6. - Top - End - #6

Uhh... I'll admit it took me a moment, but you guys seem to be missing exactly what he was trying to point out (admittedly, that is OP's fault. Next time, try quoting the relevant text like I'm about to):

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    There are no abilities that show any sort of synergy beyond distracting companion, which can be solved by being within 30ft of a target with a ranged weapon and have your pet flank it.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

Problem with ranged flanking is that you have to threaten the creature from opposite sides to flank it, and you only threaten squares into which you can make melee attacks. That said, a Bloodstorm Blade can use Thunderous Throw to be able to do exactly that, but only during his turn if he uses a swift action to activate it.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    That said, a Bloodstorm Blade can use Thunderous Throw to be able to do exactly that, but only during his turn if he uses a swift action to activate it.
    Bloodstorm Blade/Rogue?

"Sneak Attack, BITCH! *Throws Great-Axe*
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by NEO|Phyte View Post
    Problem with ranged flanking is that you have to threaten the creature from opposite sides to flank it, and you only threaten squares into which you can make melee attacks. That said, a Bloodstorm Blade can use Thunderous Throw to be able to do exactly that, but only during his turn if he uses a swift action to activate it.
    I didn't think ranged weapons threaten, doesn't using a ranged weapon while threatened provoke an attack of opportunity? Can you point out the rules for this to me. It is a legitimate question.

Also whats with all the paranoia It makes no sense. If people aren't willing to look at your homebrew in it's usual forum what are the chances people would click the link in this forum.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

I didn't think ranged weapons threaten, doesn't using a ranged weapon while threatened provoke an attack of opportunity? Can you point out the rules for this to me. It is a legitimate question.
    Ranged weapons DON'T threaten and do provoke (look at the table along the right side, third from the top), but Thunderous Throw lets a Bloodstorm Blade treat ranged attacks with thrown weapons as melee attacks. It's a ToB class, so I can't easily point to the rules.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

11. - Top - End - #11

He just said; it's a special ability of the Bloodstorm Blade prestige class from Tome of Battle.

Also whats with all the paranoia It makes no sense. If people aren't willing to look at your homebrew in it's usual forum what are the chances people would click the link in this forum.
    The problem is that you linked to the entire thread when asking about what a specific poster asked. Most people won't read an entire thread (even if it's a small one) just to find what you were talking about. Next time try quoting the relevant text like I said in my first post. Also, since you were linking to your own thread, it really did look like you were just advertising your homebrew, which is a no-no (well... creating threads just to advertise is a no-no, as is hijacking other threads. Advertising in your sig or whatever is perfectly fine).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

I still don't understand what the point of this thread was.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #13

Well, why did you post it? Did you just post it to say "Hey, my homebrew can flank while using range!" If not, I suggest putting why you really did start the thread, because all you've got here right now is an ad for your homebrew.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

disregarding the blatant linkage in this thread, there is alot of rl precedent for ranged flanking (crossfires are nasty things)
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Sheriff in the Playground Administrator

Sheriff of Moddingham: What an odd, spammy thread. Put your links to your homebrew in your signature or let people find them in the proper forum.
    Forum Rules

Sheriff Roland by Chris the Pontifex

16. - Top - End - #16

I took out the link and replaced it with the specific text for the overacters.

Now, is it normally possible to flank someone using a ranged weapon?
    Or did he mean your pet and and say a fighter can flank someone while you make ranged sneak attacks?