New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Post Alignment Debate Settled

Many people beleive that in D&D alignment determines one's action, this is FALSE! Our actions as a PC determine the alignment of the alignment of the PC, this is true.

Of course this is just my view, I want to hear you're views.
    Let us now discuss this topic.

P.S. You can scream at and insult the rules, or someone's boneheaded actions, but please don't insult the people themselves.
    Last edited by Sydonai; 2010-03-24 at 02:15 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Alignment Debate Settled

In the general case: I view your alignment as a sort of shorthand for some aspects of your personality. So acting consistently "out of alignment" without a reason would just be bad roleplaying imo.

Now, there are classes with alignment restrictions. In many cases this seems to be a result of having a patron deity of some sort. It certainly stands to reason that I wouldn't want to tick my deity off if I knew it meant losing my divine abilities...which might induce me to do/not do things I otherwise would.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Settled? Settled?

HA!

Or, more accurately, hahahahahahaha. And so on.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    Many people beleive that in D&D alignment determines one's action, this is FALSE! Our actions as a PC determine the alignment of the alignment of the PC, this is true.
    This is false.

Your Alignment determines your character's general approach to life.

Your actions as a PC confirms for the DM whether or not the Alignment written on your character sheet is the same as the one you are following. If it is not, he may ask you to erase what you have written and write down your real alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A creature’s general moral and personal attitudes are represented by its alignment.
    Simple proof
    If your contention were correct, a Helm of Opposite Alignment would be useless on PCs - the Alignment written on the sheet is irrelevant for guiding the PCs' actions.
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I feel like alot of people view class alignment restrictions as an 'after the fact' restriction, as in, you become a paladin, and in order to maintain the abilities of your class, you must develop and maintain a lawful good alignment.

In truth, class alignment restrictions are meant to show that only a specific type of personality has what it takes to become a specific class, that a certain mindset is needed in order to set out on the path that leads into said class. Kind of like saying free thinking artsy types aren't meant to be accountants. They just don't really have the right mindsets to really good at that profession and be happy. You can't just become an accountant and try to change your personality to suit the profession. It doesn't work.

That being said, it would almost make more sense to develop a personality for a character long before you choose his class. That way you can support his personality with the proper set of skills and abilities, rather than suddenly finding yourself hogtied by an alignment restriction that doesn't exactly mesh with your intended play style.

My 2 cents.

Your Alignment determines your character's general approach to life.
    I think this is backwards. Should not your character's general approach to life determine your alignment? It sounds the same, but it works out different mechanically.
    Last edited by Gan The Grey; 2010-03-24 at 08:58 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Just because your alignment and actions are equal doesn't mean your alignment needs to cause your actions. Your actions may cause your alignment, even by RAW. This would solve a lot of problems and bad stereotypes if it were practiced more. Or at least remove the excuses given for playing this way.

As it is some people act stupid just because they're lawful/chaotic/good/evil/neutral. Wait, that's every alignment. Something's not right here. It's almost as if people will find an excuse to act stupid no matter what...
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-03-24 at 08:59 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Being happy makes you smile, and smiling makes you happy.

Seems like alignment can likewise work both ways simultaneously.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have tried, twice, to abolish the alignment system from my game group. It has failed. My PCs tell me "We like it, because it tells us how our characters should generally act, and serve as a simple reminder of what my characters personality is like", or something to that effect. On the other hand, they almost exclusively play CN characters.

That's my personal experience.

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Simple proof
    If your contention were correct, a Helm of Opposite Alignment would be useless on PCs - the Alignment written on the sheet is irrelevant for guiding the PCs' actions.
    I like this. On the other hand, Paladins can Fall, so your actions must be able to change your alignment.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II

11. - Top - End - #11

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Riffington View Post
    Being happy makes you smile, and smiling makes you happy.

Seems like alignment can likewise work both ways simultaneously.
    To a point, yes, this is true. However, I would say (and I would expect many to agree with me, forgive me if this is a fallacy of some sort) that being happy tends to lead to smiling more often than smiling leads to being happy.

The same can be said of alignment. It is much easier to lay out the general personality of your character and apply an alignment tag than to take up a specific alignment and try to design a character around it. Well, easier might not be the right word, but I would have to say one would tend to have a better understand of his character and be happier with the way he plays him if he constructs his personality first. I believe that building a character this way could also help solve the problems of maintaining an alignment restricted class.
    Last edited by Gan The Grey; 2010-03-24 at 09:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Gan The Grey View Post
    To a point, yes, this is true. However, I would say (and I would expect many to agree with me, forgive me if this is a fallacy of some sort) that being happy tends to lead to smiling more often than smiling leads to being happy.
    They actually did a scientific study where they found that smiling does make you happier, even if you are unhappy and force yourself to smile because some guy in a lab coat is telling you to. I can't remember the exact mechanism, but I promise that it sounded legit to me at the time.
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software

13. - Top - End - #13

Hmmm... Perhaps this thread should be renamed to Alignment Debate Initiated.

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Mushroom Ninja View Post
    Hmmm... Perhaps this thread should be renamed to Alignment Debate Initiated.
    Don't be silly. No one's bringing up heinous examples of DM/player abuse of the alignment system or talking about how alignment killed their cat yet. Compared to most alignment "debates," we're all in lockstep opinion-wise.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gan The Grey View Post
    I feel like alot of people view class alignment restrictions as an 'after the fact' restriction, as in, you become a paladin, and in order to maintain the abilities of your class, you must develop and maintain a lawful good alignment.

In truth, class alignment restrictions are meant to show that only a specific type of personality has what it takes to become a specific class, that a certain mindset is needed in order to set out on the path that leads into said class. Kind of like saying free thinking artsy types aren't meant to be accountants. They just don't really have the right mindsets to really good at that profession and be happy. You can't just become an accountant and try to change your personality to suit the profession. It doesn't work.

That being said, it would almost make more sense to develop a personality for a character long before you choose his class. That way you can support his personality with the proper set of skills and abilities, rather than suddenly finding yourself hogtied by an alignment restriction that doesn't exactly mesh with your intended play style.

My 2 cents.

I think this is backwards. Should not your character's general approach to life determine your alignment? It sounds the same, but it works out different mechanically.
    Excepts it vigorously enforces that alignment most of the time

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Man, I was playing an awakened cat warlock, but my character decided to obey traffic laws so he didn't get run over by a cart. Next thing I know, my character is dead, since cats and warlocks are always chaotic.

17. - Top - End - #17

Alignment is decided by actions which is decided by alignment which is decided by actions which is decided by alignment...
    Bombastic founder of the "That guy with a Halberd" Fanclub
    Wanna see this guy return? Click here for more information
    Check out my Spaceatar by Geiger Counter here
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    I am laughing my head off and applauding your tactic genius all at the same time. Bravo, good sir...
    FighterITP : Silver

18. - Top - End - #18

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Touchy View Post
    Excepts it vigorously enforces that alignment most of the time
    Huh? I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to say here.

Man, I was playing an awakened cat warlock, but my character decided to obey traffic laws so he didn't get run over by a cart. Next thing I know, my character is dead, since cats and warlocks are always chaotic.
    Yeah, not sure what you are trying to say here either, except that if you view alignment as an always black-white thing, you are going to have major problems playing DnD. Or...if you are saying you decided to play a cat warlock, and then decided to act lawfully, then you probably should have done exactly what I've been saying all along.

They actually did a scientific study where they found that smiling does make you happier, even if you are unhappy and force yourself to smile because some guy in a lab coat is telling you to. I can't remember the exact mechanism, but I promise that it sounded legit to me at the time.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I've heard of this too. This is why companies train their employees to smile when they answer the phone. I was just saying that a happy person smiles more often that an unhappy smiling person becomes happy.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadLinguist View Post
    I read that as "awkward cat warlock" the first time. Do we have a new hit sitcom on our hands?

20. - Top - End - #20

Well, since we know that Alignment can change based on character actions, and character actions can change based on (or, more appropriately, be guided by) Alignment, it would seem that the two issues of moral categorization and choices of action are more difficultly entwined than any simple black-and-white argument could indicate.

Let's note that D&D is not (gasp!) the Real World (TM) and it is one's Alignment that is pertinent to many, many in-game effects and rulings. Let's also note that Evil characters can (and frequently do) take questionably Good actions, and Good PCs get away with murder on a regular basis. This would seem to indicate that actions are not strictly guided by Alignment, and that Alignment does not reflect actions with 100% accuracy. In other words, the two are related, but not causally related.

Alignment is a real thing in D&D. It reflects a character's outlook and morality. It changes if a character's morality changes. Actions are also reflections of a character's moral choices: will I kill this Neutral king, knowing he will plunge his kingdom into war for stupid (but not Evil) reasons if I do not? Both Alignment, and choices, are guided by morality.

Alignment is a tag that celestial bureaucrats use to simplify morality among mortals, so they can more easily sort the millions of mortals they have to deal with. Your choices are guided not by your Alignment, but by your morality.

Go go gadget confuse the issue!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad View Post
    Both Alignment, and choices, are guided by morality.
    What happened to ethicality?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

.............................Chaos (I do what I want)
    ...............................................+
    Good (For others)<-----------Neutral---------> Evil (For myself)
    ..............................Law (I do what I must)

Said it once, and I'll say it again. Although I've always liked the concept of alignment points or an alignment score. Kind of like virtues in Exalted, only with the alignment axis.
    Last edited by The Tygre; 2010-03-24 at 11:24 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My Characters
    According to this test, I am a LN Half-Orc Cleric, Lvl.2.
    "And in the layer of the Deep Ones, we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever." - H.P. Lovecraft

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

I am going to share some profound truth here...
    declaring "the debate is settled because my opinion is right" does not actually settle a debate. If everyone did not think their (differing) opinion was right, there would have been nothing to debate about.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-03-24 at 11:29 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

24. - Top - End - #24

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Tygre View Post
    .............................Chaos (I do what I want)
    Good (For others)<-----------Neutral---------> Evil (For myself)
    ..............................Law (I do what I must)

Said it once, and I'll say it again. Although I've always liked the concept of alignment points or an alignment score. Kind of like virtues in Exalted, only with the alignment axis.

But what about the ones who are dead?
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

25. - Top - End - #25

Well, there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dust View Post
    Well, there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying 'til you run out of cake.
    and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive!
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

27. - Top - End - #27

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    and you make a neat gun for the people who are still alive!
    I'm not Even angry! I'm being so sincere right now!
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    I'm not Even angry! I'm being so sincere right now!
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me. And tore me to pieces.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

C-c-c-combo Breaker!!!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Swordgleam View Post
    Even though you broke my heart and killed me. And tore me to pieces.
    And threw all the pieces into a fire.