New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Wu Jen or Warmage Blaster? <3.5>

Which is a better pureblood blaster/nuker: Wu Jen or Warmage.

and what PrCs are great for "He who wants the room to die in one spell?"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Wu Jen or Warmage Blaster? <3.5>

Warmage is only better if you can get into 10/10 Rainbow Servant. Otherwise, Wu Jen.

3. - Top - End - #3

Wizard or Sorcerer, actually. Warmage's damage bonus does not compensate for their poor spell list, and Wu-Jens are very poorly supported.

Actually, the best Blaster outright is either the Artificer or the Spell to Power Erudite. You can't really beat their novas...

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfire Titan View Post
    Wizard or Sorcerer, actually. Warmage's damage bonus does not compensate for their poor spell list, and Wu-Jens are very poorly supported.

Actually, the best Blaster outright is either the Artificer or the Spell to Power Erudite. You can't really beat their novas...
    well, we have a Duskblade/Frost Mage, a Ranger, and a Tank Cleric, so I need to be a wipeout nuker.

Wizard and Sorcerer, the DM said I have to be "creative," Artificer is banned, and Psionics are banned

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    well, we have a Duskblade/Frost Mage, a Ranger, and a Tank Cleric, so I need to be a wipeout nuker.

Wizard and Sorcerer, the DM said I have to be "creative," Artificer is banned, and Psionics are banned
    You don't need a Blaster. You have three tanks, let them do the damage. Play a Dragonfire Bard if you want to help their damage output, but don't waste your character sheet by playing a pure Blaster.

6. - Top - End - #6

You don't need a Blaster. You have three tanks, let them do the damage. Play a Dragonfire Bard if you want to help their damage output, but don't waste your character sheet by playing a pure Blaster.
    Bard isn't a real class.

And every player who ever plays a bard in our campaign dies in the first encounter (Our DM hates bards)

and how is the Duskblade/Frost Mage a fricken tank? all he does is stays at a distance and imbues arrows with Flesh to Ice

7. - Top - End - #7

Bard isn't a real class.

And every player who ever plays a bard in our campaign dies in the first encounter (Our DM hates bards)

and how is the Duskblade/Frost Mage a fricken tank? all he does is stays at a distance and imbues arrows with Flesh to Ice
    1: Bards are very powerful if played right (they got a lot of love from splats).

2: Duskblades can't channel spells into arrows. That requires a different class entirely.

3: Your Duskblade's player is doing it wrong, though he can still benefit from a Dragonfire Bard.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

How is he imbuing arrows?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

it realy depends if you want to focus on an element like be a fire mage then go wujen if your wanty top be an all around blaster or mobile artilery go warmage.
    When the end comes i shall remember you.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Sorcerer definitely has more potential as a blaster than either warmage or wu jen. Ask if he'd consider a colorful backstory and a vivid character persona as acceptably clever.

My last blaster sorcerer was a githyanki plainswalker who had been everywhere, seen everything, and was bored with it all. He wore pajamas and slippers on adventures, because he really couldn't be bothered to get dressed just to adventure on the boring old prime material, and was constantly pulling anachronistic devices he'd acquired on his travels out of his handy haversack, like Marlboro cigarettes, an iphone ("dammit, it still says no signal!", packages of marshmellows, and such.

Which is to say, playing a sorcerer doesn't make you uncreative or dull.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

all he does is stays at a distance and imbues arrows with Flesh to Ice
    How the crap does he Imbue Arrows?
    Amazing Ninja Penguin Avatar By Meirnon

Quote Originally Posted by Conjob
    Achievement unlocked! You're a fat loser!
    Quote Originally Posted by A friend of mine
    Intelligence is knowing a Tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by thefurmonger View Post
    How the crap does he Imbue Arrows?
    How is he imbuing arrows?
    I all ready Lampshaded this...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Snake Darts deal Con damage: you can kill things easily that way. Remember you get 2 darts per spells: Each dart deals unerrantly 3d6 damage. Then each dart causes poison of 1d6 Con damage (1 minute later as well) if fail fort save.

Best Wu Jen spell: one thing Wizards can't imitate.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Snake Darts deal Con damage: you can kill things easily that way. Remember you get 2 darts per spells: Each dart deals unerrantly 3d6 damage. Then each dart causes poison of 1d6 Con damage (1 minute later as well) if fail fort save.

actualy that brings up a good point there is a bunch of con damaging spells wujens get i blieve even an aoe one or two.

I sorry i fail Englimish...(appologise for Spelling/Grammer Errors) Please don't correct my spelling or grammer eaither.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post

Limited Wish would like a word with you. As would Eternal Wands.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

on the subject of the Wu Jen, is their a spontaneous variant any place?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Limited Wish would like a word with you. As would Eternal Wands.
    I thought eternal wands still had top be on your spell list for you to use them...

And yes limited wish can mimic it. mainly cuz wish/limited wish is rediculous.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RagnaroksChosen View Post
    I thought eternal wands still had top be on your spell list for you to use them...
    Not at all, no. You need to be able to cast arcane spells.

A Magewright could use them.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

And yes limited wish can mimic it. mainly cuz wish/limited wish is rediculous.
    Limited Wish is actually nicely balanced. 300 exp just to mimic a 4th-level spell is more than fair.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki_Akuma View Post
    Not at all, no. You need to be able to cast arcane spells.

A Magewright could use them.
    hmm thats a little rediculous... but i guess i can understand for 2 uses a day.

21. - Top - End - #21

Number one: On the subject of the Duskblade, he's imbuing his bow, which it was ruled as an "Enchantment" he casts on it every round, then the arrow is thus imbued with flesh to ice. He also took a feat that lets him affect creatures larger than medium as a medium creature for the sake of spells, grapple, ect.

Number two: What about Jester from Dragon Magazine Compendium? Isn't it a good class for Inspiring allies while debuffing foes?

Number three: I like Wu Jen over wizard and Warmage over sorcerer. Wizard/Sorcerer in our campaigns are cliches.

Number four: I say bard is not a real class because either they are inspire-nazis, sorcerer wannabes, or are sitting with their thumbs up their bum. Not to mention bards in our campaigns die rather frequently, due to our DM's thought that bard is "broken," which I say the opposite. If it had a good analoge for its LOST SPELLCASTER LEVELS, then it'd be worth it to me (though I adore Master of Masks from Complete Scoundrel and can find joy in Sublime Chord: the staple PrC for any bard)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Number one: On the subject of the Duskblade, he's imbuing his bow, which it was ruled as an "Enchantment" he casts on it every round, then the arrow is thus imbued with flesh to ice. He also took a feat that lets him affect creatures larger than medium as a medium creature for the sake of spells, grapple, ect.

Number two: What about Jester from Dragon Magazine Compendium? Isn't it a good class for Inspiring allies while debuffing foes?

Number three: I like Wu Jen over wizard and Warmage over sorcerer. Wizard/Sorcerer in our campaigns are cliches.

Number four: I say bard is not a real class because either they are inspire-nazis, sorcerer wannabes, or are sitting with their thumbs up their bum. Not to mention bards in our campaigns die rather frequently, due to our DM's thought that bard is "broken," which I say the opposite. If it had a good analoge for its LOST SPELLCASTER LEVELS, then it'd be worth it to me (though I adore Master of Masks from Complete Scoundrel and can find joy in Sublime Chord: the staple PrC for any bard)
    I'd say go for wujen over warmage. just so you have some thing other then blasting Like just in case.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

dragon shaman
    wait, hear me out
    though its not spelllobbing blasting, it is a decent area damage affect on a continual basis with some nice auras and enough hp, and through 1 of the auras hp regen, to have the cleric not need to worry about healing and just tank away.
    Last edited by Escheton; 2010-03-25 at 08:22 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Escheton View Post
    dragon shaman
    wait, hear me out
    though its not spelllobbing blasting, it is a decent area damage affect on a continual basis with some nice auras and enough hp, and through 1 of the auras hp regen, to have the cleric not need to worry about healing and just tank away.
    So...you're trying to say Dragonfire Adept? Well, if you abuse Metabreath feats with Dragonborn of Bahamut, I guess you can make it work out almost as well as Metamagick'd anything with metareducers.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say go for wujen over warmage. just so you have some thing other then blasting Like just in case.
    Who doesn´t want to play a giant mage with his giant familiar (giant size spell)^^
    Wu Jen is fun

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

It's kind of funny that you suggest Jester while denouncing Bard since they're essentially two-sides to the same half caster coin.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    It's kind of funny that you suggest Jester while denouncing Bard since they're essentially two-sides to the same half caster coin.
    Jester's spell list is more aggressive than Bard's, so it works in my favor

28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground

Warmage. Use the PH2 Eclectic Learning ACF to cover the gaps.

You know why? 'Cuz the rest of you have taken this batmannery way too far. Being a pure blast caster is acceptable and will only fall short in the most optimized of campaigns. And I doubt yours is that.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Pechvarry View Post
    Warmage. Use the PH2 Eclectic Learning ACF to cover the gaps.

You know why? 'Cuz the rest of you have taken this batmannery way too far. Being a pure blast caster is acceptable and will only fall short in the most optimized of campaigns. And I doubt yours is that.
    *Hisses at the mention of the infamous Batman Warmage*

We habe things like a Warforged Fighter, Warforged Monk, and a Human Cleric/Prestige Paladin/Radiant Servant of Pelor/Shadowstriker (Lot of DM negotiation). So I'd assume its non-optimized. Christ, we have an Incubus Assassin!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

wilder, nuff said, check dungeons.wikia for an optimized build.
    cuniculus tepes leo caesar
    CATNIP FOR THE CAT GOD! YARN FOR HIS YARN THRONE! MILK FOR THE MILK BOWL!

Sajin Komamura avatar by me