New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Issues with changing magic weapons.

In my next campaign i'm thinking of doing a houserule on Magic weapon enchants;

Namely, that instead of adding a bonus to hit/damage, a +1/+2/ect. enchant means the weapon's base damage is increased by one (as an example, a +1 greataxe would deal 2d12 damage instead, a +2 one would deal 3d12 damage, however a +1 dagger would deal 2d4, ect.)

This would have the effect of keeping the weapon rolls from going into the thog power attacks for 1d12+500 issue (Shock trooper is outlawed due to cheesiness), and curb ease of hitting opponents slightly, as well as keeping the base weapon fairly unique.

On the other hand, I realize this would make fiery/icey/ect. enchants look wonky, and power attack would be weaker by a good margin.

Any issues i seem to be missing that you guys can think of?
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Issues with changing magic weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    In my next campaign i'm thinking of doing a houserule on Magic weapon enchants;

Namely, that instead of adding a bonus to hit/damage, a +1/+2/ect. enchant means the weapon's base damage is increased by one (as an example, a +1 greataxe would deal 2d12 damage instead, a +2 one would deal 3d12 damage, however a +1 dagger would deal 2d4, ect.)

This would have the effect of keeping the weapon rolls from going into the thog power attacks for 1d12+500 issue (Shock trooper is outlawed due to cheesiness), and curb ease of hitting opponents slightly, as well as keeping the base weapon fairly unique.

On the other hand, I realize this would make fiery/icey/ect. enchants look wonky, and power attack would be weaker by a good margin.

Any issues i seem to be missing that you guys can think of?
    Yeah, it makes Power Attacking more difficult. Most Power Attack builds rely on passive bonuses (Strength, Weapon Focus, and weapon to-hit bonuses) to hit reliably because they can't add their BAB. (Remember, the MM says that a monster's AC should be 13 + party level.)

However, increasing a weapon's damage dice so that the average damage increases by 1, and then keeping the +1 to attack as normal seems reasonable. It makes damage more random, which seems to be what you're shooting for.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Issues with changing magic weapons.

There are already weapon enchantments that add 1d6 damage, or +3.5 on average. A +1 with power attack only adds 3 damage, although sometimes creatures are immune to certain d6 enchantments. At worst we could use collision as a baseline, at 5 damage for the cost of +2 instead of 6 damage. At the same time there are enchantments like wounding and spell storing that may often be better than 3.5 damage. That plus you can't have an enhancement bonus higher than 5, but the enhancement bonus plus special abilities combined may reach up to +10.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-03-26 at 06:51 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)