New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default D&D 4e Weapon expertise?

So I'm new to 4e but I don't get what's so great about this feat. I see a lot of builds and handbooks online that highly sudgest strikers take this feat. It looks like a compacted weapon focus feat tree from 3.5, which is widely bashed on most forums. Can someone explain this?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 4e Weapon expertise?

Some people will tell you expertise was included in PHB2 in order to balance the fact that people had a very hard time hitting monsters. It was a "feat tax," if you will.

Personally, I just think universal applicability is the best kind of applicability.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

In 3.5, it was pointless, since any class that would likely take it could hit things already. But 4th edition is built around a 50% chance to hit, and so the +1 represents a larger increase in your ability to hit. Some people do claim it was designed to fix the scaling of attacks. Personally, I give it's bonuses to my players.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ah! Thank you for your replies. Weapon expertise and weapon focus stack?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

In 4e, Weapon Focus adds to damage, not attack rolls. Stacking is irrelevant because they don't apply to the same thing. You can use both at once, but they each add to a different roll.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)