New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Death Star or Bust; Probably Bust (Let's Play Star Wars Rebellion)

Well, with my Oregon Trail II Let's Play now (remarkably) finished, I felt a bit of an emptiness in my already overstuffed schedule. I love LPs. I love reading them, and I certainly love making them, so I couldn't help but keep going with another game. This time, however, we're not only heading to a different time period, we're heading to another galaxy altogether.

Let's Play Star Wars: Rebellion!

What the heck is this?
    Star Wars: Rebellion (also known as Star Wars: Supremecy in the UK and Ireland) is a real-time strategy game based in the Star Wars universe. One of the first, in fact. Although labelled a real-time strategy game, it has more in common with the genre of 4X games, specifically resembling Master of Orion. The fans are generally split over the game, falling into parties of either hating it or loving it.

So why am I doing this Let's Play?
    If you haven't already figured it out, I fall into the "love it" camp of players. I find that Rebellion offers a level of strategic detail that most current strategy games can't even measure up to, which is both a blessing and a curse. However, I find that the game is much easier to play if you make up your own little stories to go along with it, since despite it being a Star Wars game, there is no story except that which you craft. Which is exactly why I'm doing this LP. I want to rewrite the Star Wars saga my own way, and tell the stories of the game I play. Hopefully this can spur some of you into picking up the game and giving it a shot yourself.

What's the backstory?
    I can let the game introduce itself here:
    It is a dark time for the Rebellion. Although the Death Star has been destroyed, Imperial Forces have located the hidden Rebel base on Yavin and are poised to strike back.

On the planet of Coruscant, the heart of the Empire, Darth Vader and the Emperor make plans to crush the Rebel Alliance once and for all. The full weight of the Empire is about to come to bear against the rebels.

In their secret headquarters, Alliance leaders, resolute after their recent victory, gather the warships of the rebel fleet. Although they have won a significant battle, the war between the Alliance and the Empire has only just begun....
    So, in short, the game starts up right after the battle of Yavin, after A New Hope. The Empire has just lost the first Death Star to the Rebels and now the war is kicking into high-gear.

Who are you playing as?
    In game, I'll be taking the role of an all-knowing god-like controller, who issues orders to everyone despite their rank or power.

However explaining who the Emperor or Mon Mothma takes orders from in an in-character perspective may prove... Difficult. So, for this LP, I shall be writing everything from the viewpoints of the characters in the game. Expect to see many varied journal entries as the LP progresses.

Also, I will be offering some out-of-character commentary about game mechanics and such as well. Any such text will be clearly marked in bolded turquoise.

Are we going to help play?
    Yes... Sort of. I plan to name my capital ships after anyone who requests their name be used in this thread. It adds a bit of personal involvement, and lets you root for yourself in a way. Keep in mind that I'll only name ships that will potentially see combat. Galleons or Medium Transports won't get special names because they're next to useless in combat situations. The only exception to this will be if someone specifically requests that they be named after a transport ship instead of a battle ship. But it'll be boring. Trust me.

You can also offer suggestions on how I should be playing, but don't expect me to adhere to them all the time. I'll be playing my way mostly.

Now, let's get on with the LP!

To Be Ship'd:
    Spoiler
    Show
    N/A

Chapters:
    Chapter 01

So this is the main menu. Most of everything you see here, you don't have to worry about. The controls at the top left are the game difficulty, which I will be running at intermediate. The galaxy size controls are in the middle of the screen, and I'll be leaving that set at a medium-sized galaxy as well. The victory condition is right beneath the galaxy size, but only has two settings; standard game and headquarters victory. I'll be sticking with a standard game for this, however. Don't worry, I'll go over the objectives a bit later for anyone who doesn't know.

The only part of this screen that you need to think about is probably the most important decision we're going to make in this LP. Who should we play as? We can either play the Galactic Empire (green, on the left) or the Rebel Alliance (red, on the right), both of which have their own pros and cons.

The Galactic Empire
    Pros: Better capital ships. Better tactical and combat leaders. Economic edge. Death Stars (plural).
    Cons: Weak starfighters. Lacking diplomatic leaders. Difficult to track down the Rebels.

The Rebel Alliance
    Pros: Great diplomats. Better leaders to start with. Powerful starfighters. Easily mobile.
    Cons: Poor capital ships until the late game. No Death Stars. Tend to be spread out more with longer travel times.

So, what are we fighting for, readers? Power or freedom?
    Last edited by Zarah; 2010-04-25 at 11:26 PM.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Death Star or Bust; Probably Bust (Let's Play Star Wars Rebellion)

Play as The Empire, Crush the Rebellion Beneath your boot! Destroy all resistance! Glory for the Empire! All Hail The Empire! All Hail Lord Zarah!
    Last edited by Aragehaor; 2010-04-24 at 02:27 AM.
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

I'll vote good guys, if only because Lando seems to have more fun than anyone else.

As for the strange emptiness when not writing?

Welcome to my world. One month in, it's an amusing diversion. Nine in, and it's an addiction.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2010-04-24 at 02:27 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

There was a thread like this earlier- but the OP stopped posting because they were very busy for a while and didn't have time to play the game.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

5. - Top - End - #5

In the words of a respected leader(or at least a famous movie quote)

Freeeeeeeedooooooom!

(Also, name a ship after me!)
    Thanks goes to Vampire Pumpkin for my awesome avatar!

Formerly known as The Fiery Tower Formerly known as Catseye2121.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Empire, definitely.
    I'd like to be a ship, too.
    Some men just want to watch the world shift uncomfortably in its seat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kylarra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by absolmorph View Post
    I happen to like screwing around with Handle Animal.
    Red Mage, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Now you're cranking it up to eleven.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimonite View Post
    A week ago, I didn't know who you were. Now I know: you're the BEST PERSON EVER.
    Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    You seem to be having trouble with the idea that a rulebook can contradict itself, because it shouldn't, but...WotC.

If you're reading this for some reason, you can find me in a few places on the web as azoicennead.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Play for bust. All hail Oppai!

More seriously though, go for the rebels. I feel best with rooting for the good guys and i prefer rooting for the player of a let's play i read. I wouldn't mind getting to be a ship captain either.
    Last edited by Terraoblivion; 2010-04-24 at 03:41 AM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

So:
    Empire - 2
    Rebel - 3

In interest of maintaining a tie: Empire.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The rebels.

Also, I request at least one transport ship with my name painted on the side. Because transport ships are cool and don't let anyone tell you otherwise
    Last edited by Comet; 2010-04-24 at 04:46 AM.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Gonna have to vote Empire.

Either way though, I definitely would not mind having a ship named after myself.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

For the Rebellion! *crashes into SSD bridge*
    I am trying out LPing. Check out my channel here: Triaxx2

12. - Top - End - #12

Empire. See im a fan of WH40K, and in WH40K there is only the darkside of the force. I need something to relate to.
    Many thanks to Z-axis for the great avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Saldre View Post
    you know whats worse than a regular Daemon-host? A Daemon-host with a Plasma Cannon.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomLunatic
    "Eh. I do to 'Mechs what Simon does to American Idol contestants."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Terraoblivion View Post
    Play for bust. All hail Oppai!
    I so do not get that meme.

Anyway! For the Emperor! Crush the heretics! Burn the xenos!
    What's that? ...Different Empire? Oh... I see... No, no, It's quite alright.
    For the Emperor! Crush the Rebels! Burn the Jedi!
    Truth resists simplicity.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Rebellion. More popular with the chicks.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

15. - Top - End - #15

Empire. Cool Ships, cool ground troops... what's not to like?

Also, I'm willing to be a ship. :-D
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Rebellion! If only for the cool X-wings! (Tie fighters are so annoying.)
    you know that I'm more than just a doll do you?-Geno
    Add me on Steam!
    Spoiler
    Show
    by Thecrimsonmage and By Shades of Gray by Akrim.elf

and current made by me.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

The meme makes a lot more sense if you know Code Geass, Even Human. Which incidentally has a third evil empire. It is basically a new version of Emperor Charles' speech about the inequality of humans. As for why it is about breasts, i'd say it is because breasts are awesome. Really is anymore explanation for why to talk about it needed? But if it is then it is probably also due to just how much fanservice the show really has.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Rebellion, if only to save you from a months long search through the outer rim for the force-forsaken rebel base.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Rebellion. Show those imperials what it means to be free!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Hehe, this should be fun.

Lets fight for the freedom of the galaxy without thinking of the possible consequences!

Oh, and it would be nice to have a ship. But put me at the back of the queue, I'm in no hurry.
    Last edited by Elder Tsofu; 2010-04-24 at 08:12 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

RogueGuy

Empire. Those Rebel Scum need to be crushed.

Also, ship would be fantastic.
    R.I.P. Wrecan, he was a true organizer and a gentleman.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Empire! Death to the rebel scum.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Rebellion all the way! May Emperor Palpatine and his minions fall like wheat before the scythe of our fighters...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Rather than naming a capital ship after me, I'd prefer a flight of X-Wings. Fighter pilots, after all, hunt the big game.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rebellion. Takes way too long to hunt down the rebel stronghold in the outer rim.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Empire. They have cooler music.

*heavy mechanical breathing*
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-04-24 at 10:53 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Firbolg in the Playground

You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

28. - Top - End - #28
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

29. - Top - End - #29

Rebels! Their symbol thing is way cooler than the Empire! Instead of a capitol ship, could I have my name on a flight of some kind of A-wings or X-wings?
    Last edited by Eldrys; 2010-04-24 at 08:55 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

All of you who chose not to vote for the empire? Rebel Scum And Traitors! The emperor will deal with all of you when the time comes, The Death star shall charge ever-gloriously into your pathetic rebel camp, And your worlds shall be annihilated from the face of the galaxy.

Those who survive shall be hunted down and slaughtered, Then the home planets of all rebel scum shall be annihilated. Only the planets who have never grown a rebel to fight against the empire shall be spared and be allowed to exist in our Glorious Empire! ALL HAIL THE EMPIRE. ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR!
    Current avatar Thanks to Serpentine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Red Gyarados Avatar Thanks to Mr Saturn