Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    I have a question about Obtain Familiar on a gestalt character. Obtain Familiar states that your levels in all arcane casting classes stack for purposes of determining your familiar's abilities. In gestalt, would this count both sides of the character, or only one?

    For instance, would an Arcane Caster 3//Some Other Arcane Caster 3 be counted as level 3 or level 6 for determining what their familiar can do?
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2009

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    3. Because +1 arcane caster level is given on both sides and you pick the better one.

    Same reason Fighter 3//Barbarian 3 only has BAB +3.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBoundFencer
    NOBODY POST I AM HUGGING AN INFERNAL

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    sonofzeal's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post
    3. Because +1 arcane caster level is given on both sides and you pick the better one.

    Same reason Fighter 3//Barbarian 3 only has BAB +3.
    Er, not really. One side gives "+1 Wizard CL" and the other side gives "+1 Sorc CL". If you had a Wizard 10 // Sorcerer 9 / Fighter 1, and both sides took Fireball, one would do 10d6 and the other would do 9d6.

    However, I can't imagine any DM letting that character treat their familiar as 19th level.
    Avatar by Crimmy

    Zeal's Tier System for PrC's
    Zeal's Expanded Alignment System
    Zeal's "Creative" Build Requests
    Bubs the Commoner
    Zeal's "Minimum-Intervention" balance fix
    Feat Point System fix (in progress)

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by JadePhoenix View Post
    sonofzeal, you're like a megazord of awesome and win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    SonOfZeal, it is a great joy to see that your Kung-Fu remains undiminished in this, the twilight of an age. May the Great Wheel be kind to you, planeswalker.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2007

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
    Er, not really. One side gives "+1 Wizard CL" and the other side gives "+1 Sorc CL". If you had a Wizard 10 // Sorcerer 9 / Fighter 1, and both sides took Fireball, one would do 10d6 and the other would do 9d6.
    True so far, but when asking what your familiar gets at a given level, you say "oh, I advance him as the wizard" or "oh, I advance him as the sorcerer"; you can't have both advance him during any one level.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PirateGuy

    Join Date
    Feb 2009

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    I thought you get 2 familiars. 1 from Wiz, 1 from Sorc.

    I'm not sure though.

  7. - Top - End - #7

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    Duplicate abilities do not stack. You take the better. In this case, familiar would be a duplicate ability.

    Gestalt isn't really 2 sides. It's a blending of two classes into 1. As such, you don't get the full benefit.

    That said, if you're an ultimate magus with sorc and wizard, they DO stack (for non gestalt).

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DruidGuy

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Question about Obtain Familiar and gestalt

    The familiar does get a lot of good stuff from the other side of the gestalt though. A Warblade//Wizard has a familiar with full BaB and pretty good hitpoints. A Rogue//Wizard has a familiar with a lot of ranks in different skills, etc...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •