New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Default Looking for a programming project

I've got the recreational programming bug again and I'd like to do something D&D related this time. Is there anything anyone out there is looking for that could save you time or headaches as a player or DM?

I can't make any guarantee's about whether I'll pick a given idea or finish it in a given timeline, but I would appreciate suggestions.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Looking for a programming project

A XP calculator with level to XP and XP to Level functionality!

(What language? I am also a programmer in several languages, and I have some code that would help with this.)

3. - Top - End - #3

DruidGuy

What do you mean by XP to level? Just typing one in and getting the other?

In regards to languages, I'd like to keep it web based (javascript or server side) for the sake of convenience, but that's not a hard rule.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

A huge timesaver for me and perhaps many others would be a database of monster stats with live adjustments for common buffs.

So, for example, I could pull up "dire badger", and I'd see the stats for a dire badger. If I click checkboxes for "Celestial" and "Augment Summoning" the tool automatically applies the celestial template and the stat bonuses for Augment summoning. Dittos for other common effects like Corpsecrafter, animal growth, etc. Maybe with a "choose your own" option in which I could manually enter the parameters of a spell's or template's modifiers, name it, save it, and thenceforth be able to apply it to whatever monster as well.

Edit: And of course a "build your own" option so I could manually enter custom or variant base monsters. And if it could automatically advance monsters by HD? Sweet.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-03-31 at 04:31 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    What do you mean by XP to level? Just typing one in and getting the other?

In regards to languages, I'd like to keep it web based (javascript or server side) for the sake of convenience, but that's not a hard rule.
    It would use the party level to get the level afterward. (I recommend python!)

6. - Top - End - #6

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    A huge timesaver for me and perhaps many others would be a database of monster stats with live adjustments for common buffs.

So, for example, I could pull up "dire badger", and I'd see the stats for a dire badger. If I click checkboxes for "Celestial" and "Augment Summoning" the tool automatically applies the celestial template and the stat bonuses for Augment summoning. Dittos for other common effects like Corpsecrafter, animal growth, etc. Maybe with a "choose your own" option in which I could manually enter the parameters of a spell's or template's modifiers, name it, save it, and thenceforth be able to apply it to whatever monster as well.

Edit: And of course a "build your own" option so I could manually enter custom or variant base monsters. And if it could automatically advance monsters by HD? Sweet.
    This sounds like a winning plan. Templating on the fly is always a pain for us, especially when the party has a Malconvoker.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Only thing I can think of, which wouldn't really be legal, would be a big database of all the 4E stuff so you can look up rules quickly instead of fumbling through books each time.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'd like a benefit analysis of single weapon vs. two-weapon fighting for a character, with sneak attack + Craven. This should iterate through levels 1-20, with the result being the target AC which tips the balance between single weapon and TWF.

9. - Top - End - #9

Holy crap, this would be so awesome. Seconded so hard.

I'd pay money for this, actually. If I had money, that is, but the point remains.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

10. - Top - End - #10

I would have to second this one, I think.
    Custom Melayl avatar by my cousin, ~thejason10, used with his permission. See his work at his Deviant Art page.
    My works:
    Need help?
    Spoiler
    Show
    National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (USA)
    1-800-273-TALK (8255), 24/7
    www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
    In Australia: Lifeline, 13 11 14, 24/7
    Reach Out Australia
    Beyond Blue, 1300 22 4636
    The Samaritans (UK too) UK: 08457 90 90 90, ROI: 1850 60 90 90

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

I third this.

EDIT: Wow, double ninja'd. So I guess, I'm what, fifthing it?
    Last edited by Ishcumbeebeeda; 2010-03-31 at 09:07 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'd suggest starting by importing or copying the .js files from my monster finder (see sig). They contain all of the SRD and a bunch more. If you try to parse it yourself you'll spend ages fighting its typos.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by holywhippet View Post
    Only thing I can think of, which wouldn't really be legal, would be a big database of all the 4E stuff so you can look up rules quickly instead of fumbling through books each time.
    Just buy DDI, its worth it

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    I'd like a benefit analysis of single weapon vs. two-weapon fighting for a character, with sneak attack + Craven. This should iterate through levels 1-20, with the result being the target AC which tips the balance between single weapon and TWF.
    I'm not the OP but this sounds interesting. I might make this, are we talking just Rogue sneak attack progression, or are we allowing more variable progression? Are we allowing different die sizes, the ability to remove the penalties to two weapon fighting attacks, etc.?
    In other words, what Assumptions should I make to make this tool useful.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

I'd sixth(?) the summoning database. I would sell my (malconvoker's) soul for that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

7thing the summon database, so I can actually play a malconvoker with less hassle.
    ithilanor on Steam.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

8thing.

I'd personally like a character builder that I can enter my own classes into. So if I want to use Fax celetis's Monk I can put that in, name it something different and then use that class. same with feats and such.

17. - Top - End - #17

Seconded.Ninthed? Sometimes I want to throw a templated beastie at the party and I have to go with something else because I can't always template on-the-fly. E-tools did this, but not very well, and I no longer have it.

Just the bare-bones editor/database/data entry interface would be great. I'd happily enter in monsters and templates myself.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-04-01 at 12:08 AM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    I've got the recreational programming bug again and I'd like to do something D&D related this time. Is there anything anyone out there is looking for that could save you time or headaches as a player or DM?
    ... you need to check out the MapTool community. Really need.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

MMm. 10th on the template thing. Although it might work best as an excel formula thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson
    Evil Intelligence is knowing the precise ritual that will allow you to destroy the peaceful kingdom that banished you.

Evil Wisdom is understanding that you probably shouldn’t perform said ritual while you’re standing in the estimated blast radius.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gralamin View Post
    I'm not the OP but this sounds interesting. I might make this, are we talking just Rogue sneak attack progression, or are we allowing more variable progression? Are we allowing different die sizes, the ability to remove the penalties to two weapon fighting attacks, etc.?
    In other words, what Assumptions should I make to make this tool useful.
    As I see it, the most utility comes from assuming Rogue sneak attack progression and standard TWF feat tree acquisition, and then adding Craven (since it's the single most important feat for Rogues). The next layer of complication would allow for different base weapon damage (say, rapier for single weapon vs. dual short swords for TWF, as this is more sensible than incurring greater penalties for non-light weapons). The next layer would add ½ WbL gp, with equal sums spent for magical enhancement for both single and dual weapon options.

As you've pointed out, there are really a lot of variables to consider here. But covering the most common cases first seems like a really useful programming project.

21. - Top - End - #21

DruidGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    I'd suggest starting by importing or copying the .js files from my monster finder (see sig). They contain all of the SRD and a bunch more. If you try to parse it yourself you'll spend ages fighting its typos.
    I'll definitely take a look at those.

Have you looked at the MonsterDB spreadsheet at www.pathfindersrd.com? I was planning on using that for base material before I saw these.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Here's an idea. How about a web site that lets you choose a saved character from the 4e CB and draws it as a web page? The .dnd4e files are just xml so you shouldn't have too much trouble processing them. The application of this would be for people who can't install the CB wherever they go. Like me for instance. I have windows at work but not at home. I end up printing up character sheets and reviewing my PCs' updates at work. I don't mind slacking on the job like this, but I mind not having the character information anywhere else.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Program a roguelike. It's not quite D&D but it's roleplaying-esque.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

24. - Top - End - #24

DruidGuy

For those of you who are looking for a templater, it apparently already exists for both 3.5 and pathfinder for all legally redistributable material.

http://www.pathfindersrd.com/bestiary/monster-advancer

http://www.monsteradvancer.com/

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by potatocubed View Post
    Program a roguelike. It's not quite D&D but it's roleplaying-esque.
    Heh, Roguelikes. When Monsters were Letters, Dungeons were Random, and Potions were Plaid.
    Good times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Yer this would actually be amazing. Epic amounts of kudos if you make it
    "If Andrex is DMing, check everything for traps. There will be one xP"
    I would be Andrex

78% of DMs start their campaigns in a tavern. If you're one of the other 22%, copy this to your signature.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Here's an idea. How about a web site that lets you choose a saved character from the 4e CB and draws it as a web page? The .dnd4e files are just xml so you shouldn't have too much trouble processing them. The application of this would be for people who can't install the CB wherever they go. Like me for instance. I have windows at work but not at home. I end up printing up character sheets and reviewing my PCs' updates at work. I don't mind slacking on the job like this, but I mind not having the character information anywhere else.
    They might try to sue you for that.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    They might try to sue you for that.
    I don't see why. All the program does is display information that's in the file they created. I'm not talking about showing any text from rulebooks, just what's in the .dnd4e file.

FWIW the process I use now for viewing those in another OS is I print a PDF from the CB. Of course they screwed up how the printing works so you end up with a PDF without margins and it doesn't print correctly (although I found a work around for that and posted that on my blog).

In case anyone can't tell, I'm not a big fan of WotC as a software company (although I'm glad they tried - they at least see the direction they should be heading in even if they don't have the skill to go there) and would rather eliminate as many WotC tools from my workflow as possible without sacrificing any funcionality.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Another programmer here. The monster database sounds like a lot of work, so I'm waiting to see where the discussion goes and hoping one of the links works or the OP tackles this one if needed . EDIT: Monster advancer is awesome. However:

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    This one seems simple, maybe even without a program. IIRC craven means crits become sneak attacks?

The answer should be the same regardless of level, unless you wish to include the benefit of a buckler. The fragile rogue will usually do more damage if he wields a weapon plus a buckler because he stays in the fight longer, regardless of target AC. Unless you're already safe via invisibility or some such. But I can ignore this issue and focus the table purely on damage per round just for kicks. It's pretty easy anyway.
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-04-01 at 10:43 AM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    IIRC craven means crits become sneak attacks?
    No, you're thinking of the craptastic Telling Blow. Craven adds bonus damage to any sneak attack equal to character level. It's the best friend of the high-level melee character who has one level dipped in Rogue.
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.
    ... yes, I need to be tested for ADHD.