New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Need a really small flying Effigy

I'm going to play a miniaturized warforged shaper in an upcoming campaign, and that gives me a size of Fine...and a 5 ft per round movement rate. Thankfully, it also makes me weigh less than 1/8th of a pound, so I am trying to find an effigy that is both incredibly cheap and capable of (preferably) flight to serve as a transport until I can use my psicrystal. Thus far I've found the Bat off the SRD, which ends up moving me at 40 ft per round for 750 GP.

Are there any stats for individual flies or hummingbirds, or is there another Diminutive or smaller creature of fewer HD (Bat had 1/4th) that gives me a better fly speed?
    Last edited by Trekkin; 2010-03-31 at 06:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Need a really small flying Effigy

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Are there any stats for individual flies or hummingbirds, or is there another Diminutive or smaller creature of fewer HD (Bat had 1/4th) that gives me a better fly speed?
    I assume you mean CR, because nothing has less than one HD.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    BAT

Hit Dice: 1/4 d8 (1 hp)

Challenge Rating: 1/10
    Seems to me that HD was intended.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tinydwarfman View Post
    I assume you mean CR, because nothing has less than one HD.
    yea they do, but only the really small ones get it. all it's really used for is fluff though; they want to give something 1 or 2 hp but they want to keep the HD type similar to other creatures of that type (both tiny vipers and larger snakes have the same HD type).

and as for a creature, hummingbirds might be a good idea. give it 1/8d1 (1) HD, fly speed of... 60-70ft, no attack options, and tons of dex. then sit on your 20-30 AC bird and proceed as you will.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I looked for hummingbirds, but I could not find them. Where are they?

6. - Top - End - #6

I just made that up. WotC doesn't bother printing combat stats for inconsequentially harmless creatures. Ask your Dm about it, he'll be the one determining it's validity, but it shouldn't be a problem.

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    I looked for hummingbirds, but I could not find them. Where are they?
    There's a Hummingbird familiar in, I think, Dragon magazine. Don't know if it has distinct stats though.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Amazing what google can do. Search for "Hummingbird Familiar" and it'll link you right to our forums here where it is mentioned at about the third post into a thread.

Dragon 323 page 98 says that hummingbirds use the same stats as the Thrush on pg 203 of the DMG, which is a diminuative bird. Unfortunately, as statistics for a familiar, it lists HD as 1 instead of fractional, but one could assume it's 1/4. Just strip the familiar abilities from it. Can't list the stats here because it's not OGL material, but I will assume you have access to a 3.5 DMG.

Edit: Also, as a hummingbird, I'd say it should have either perfect maneuverability or Hover as a feat. Effigies lose feats though, don't they? So I'd lean toward the former, I suppose.

obnoxious
    sig
    Last edited by Irreverent Fool; 2010-03-31 at 07:16 PM.
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

So, a thrush without master-dependent things and with fly(perfect)?

10. - Top - End - #10

I'm pretty sure that his hit dice is just 1/4 of a d8, not 1/4 HD. It still has one hit dice, it's just a really small hit dice.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

You might look for some insects that can fly like bees and wasp. If you don't absolutely have to have fly look at spiders. They give you some of the bonuses of flying because they can wall climb and jump. The MM has them already drawn up as small as tiny. They also have darkvision and tremor.

12. - Top - End - #12

I'm pretty sure that his hit dice is just 1/4 of a d8, not 1/4 HD. It still has one hit dice, it's just a really small hit dice.
    think about it, if you were going to turn a flock of undead hummingbirds, do you think that each hummingbird should count as a single HD?

I have salty tastes.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Rabbler View Post
    think about it, if you were going to turn a flock of undead hummingbirds, do you think that each hummingbird should count as a single HD?
    I think that would be a swarm, actually.

I believe the previous poster was correct about fractional hit dice counting as full HD, simply by virtue of the creature having a feat. I don't think it would be too hard to convince a DM to allow the HD-based part of effigy price to be proportional to its fractional hit dice in this case or in the case of say, animated rats.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Fractional hit dice count as a full hit die for a few purposes, like feats, but otherwise no. So you could affect 32 of them with an effect that affected 8 HD of creatures.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.