New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Minis on the cheap

Hey all. Advice question.

Typically, to save money, I've always played with stand-in minis (cardboard tokens, lego figures, whatever) which works great, but the group I'm in now seems to enjoy actual figures. I'd like to roll with the crowd here, and get some minis of my own, but I don't exactly relish shelling out enough of an investment to get into actual DnD minis (If I was only buying a couple of heroes for my characters that would be fine, but we rotate DMs so once every 4th session or so I also need monster minis.). I can borrow from one of the other guys most of the time, but I would like to contribute, you know?

So, does anyone know a good source for cheapo minis that are scale-compatible with dnd? For less money, I expect less quality, and a lower resolution paint job/ no paint job, so that's fine. They just have to look OK and be the right size.
    Last edited by Erom; 2010-04-01 at 09:29 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Minis on the cheap

eBay / Craigslist, or just buy bags of cheap plastic (dino, zoo animal) minis and kitbash them into monsters with snips and polyglue

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Print out pictures of the beasties on card-stock and fold into a tent like shape for minis that are super cheap. Weighting them down may help stability.
    Like this
    Last edited by Ravens_cry; 2010-04-01 at 09:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

To stick with the 'make your own' theme, you could make some out of fimo.

If you haven't heard of this, its a plastacine like substance that you can mold into shape and bake to set it. There are thousands of colours and its dirt cheap.

So you could make lots of really basic monsters (like rats or something) that you would end up using over and over again.
    "If Andrex is DMing, check everything for traps. There will be one xP"
    I would be Andrex

78% of DMs start their campaigns in a tavern. If you're one of the other 22%, copy this to your signature.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Indeed, paper is my backup plan (Tri-folds are nice, but I prefer plain front-back cutouts like www.onemonk.com has - something about the white border on a trifold throws me off) but I wanted to see if anyone had ideas on where to get cheapo plastic stuff before I start printing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

For bulk I really like eBay. I check once a month for "mini lot" or some variation on that. Got 200 mage knights for $15 a while back. They don't quite fit our grid though.

For individual minis, I prefer Reaper. Their minis are usually $3 each. Very affordable.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I feel compelled to mention that Ravens_cry's monster is totally bad-ass and also pretty adorable.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know how artistic you are, but one of my groups decided they didn't like not having mini's (this was their first 4e game and I don't own any mini's of my own). As such, they all went out and bought a pewter mini that best resembled their character. Then they had one of the guys hand-paint them to their description. I must say: it was cheap (since they each only bought one) and absolutely beautiful. And there was never any wondering who was who.

That's what I'd suggest doing. If you only need 1 mini? Well, splurge a little bit. Go to your FLGS and spend $3 to get a nice mini. Then hand-pain it. Then love it for a long time.

Or, buy a bunch en masse. But really, that's what most people do... be different! (the different fallacy: claiming that someone is being different because they do what you do.)
    Thank you Ceika for the wonderful Avatar avatar!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tcrudisi View Post
    I don't know how artistic you are, but one of my groups decided they didn't like not having mini's (this was their first 4e game and I don't own any mini's of my own). As such, they all went out and bought a pewter mini that best resembled their character. Then they had one of the guys hand-paint them to their description. I must say: it was cheap (since they each only bought one) and absolutely beautiful. And there was never any wondering who was who.

That's what I'd suggest doing. If you only need 1 mini? Well, splurge a little bit. Go to your FLGS and spend $3 to get a nice mini. Then hand-pain it. Then love it for a long time.

Or, buy a bunch en masse. But really, that's what most people do... be different! (the different fallacy: claiming that someone is being different because they do what you do.)
    Thats personally what I do. I'm currently running what should be a quite lengthy campaign (hopefully the PCs will get well into the epic levels) and because of that I've bourght a £8 minature from Games Workshop purely because it helps to have a visual representation of the character and I love the detail in the Citadel minatures. I have yet to get round to painting it mind you, but I shall spend a few days doing so
    "If Andrex is DMing, check everything for traps. There will be one xP"
    I would be Andrex

78% of DMs start their campaigns in a tavern. If you're one of the other 22%, copy this to your signature.