New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default It's easy, you just throw yourself at the ground...and miss.

Ok, so it's come to my attention that Telekinesis can lift youself. Here's what I propose.

Shut your eyes.

You now have a 50% miss chance on attack rolls.

You throw yourself at the planet/continent....and miss. Congratulations, you're the first D&D character in space. Well, since the last time somebody rolled a nat one on an attempt to slam somebody into the ground.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: It's easy, you just throw yourself at the ground...and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by term1nally s1ck View Post
    Congratulations, you're the first D&D character in space.
    It's actually quite crowded up there. See Spelljammer for details.
    "What can change the nature of a man?"
    __
    Guybrush Threepwood avatar by Ceika

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, so it's come to my attention that Telekinesis can lift youself. Here's what I propose.

Shut your eyes.

You throw yourself at the planet/continent....and miss. Congratulations, you're the first D&D character in space. Well, since the last time somebody rolled a nat one on an attempt to slam somebody into the ground.
    Slamming into the ground isn't an attack, it's grapple.

The ground wins. You're pinned. Want to try and escape?
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

4. - Top - End - #4

Who said I'm making a touch attack?

Looking at it, the continent thing is better, as a far more efficient way to travel

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

You throw yourself at the planet/continent....and miss.
    Don't forget to roll d8 to see where you land. Also throw in Murky Eyed for better chance of missing.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

when blinded you cannot target specific things, only a "square" where you think they are. if using a thrown object (for example, your body), a miss means you land in a nearby square.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I like to think of myself as ammo not a weapon like Shuiken ammo attack.
    So if you attack the ground: 50% chance you are destroyed or go to space from missing.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    I like to think of myself as ammo not a weapon like Shuiken ammo attack.
    So if you attack the ground: 50% chance you are destroyed or go to space from missing.
    destroyed ammo does not evaporate into space, it simply breaks and is no longer suitable for use... its components are obviously still there. In fact, it still deals damage to whatever it hits, you just cant "recover" it for reuse.

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    destroyed ammo does not evaporate into space, it simply breaks and is no longer suitable for use....
    That makes the imagery a lot, lot worse

10. - Top - End - #10

Well, a splat is more logical than a launch into space.

Ok, how about just debuffing my to-hit roll as much as possible? Dex 1 or Str 1, equipment I'm not proficient with, I should be able to easily miss an AC of -10 or less...add on some more nasty status effects, we could get to -20 or so.

Either that, or Take 1 on the attack roll.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

You can't take 1 only 10 or 20.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

destroyed ammo does not evaporate into space, it simply breaks and is no longer suitable for use... its components are obviously still there. In fact, it still deals damage to whatever it hits, you just cant "recover" it for reuse.
    Which has an annoying tendency of being really dumb. Arrows are reusable, and if they hit armored people it might need a few tweaks. Yes they can break, but the assumption they do is terrible. Bolts this is even more true for, and sling bullets deform but can be tossed in a mold and fixed. And that is only the lead bullets, stones shouldn't break, iron was used occasionally, and there are dart slings.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Which has an annoying tendency of being really dumb. Arrows are reusable, and if they hit armored people it might need a few tweaks. Yes they can break, but the assumption they do is terrible. Bolts this is even more true for, and sling bullets deform but can be tossed in a mold and fixed. And that is only the lead bullets, stones shouldn't break, iron was used occasionally, and there are dart slings.
    i think the assumption is that you don't do any of that... you just reuse it if it is in perfect shape, and if it isn't you leave it rather then waste your time repairing a 1cp arrow.

however, the only time it really matters is when you are strapped for arrows... like when you are trapped somewhere without your gear or some such. in which case you should take the time to fix them up.
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-04-02 at 06:53 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

I always played that your attack roll wasn't a "strike" or "hit", but whether you managed to inflict damage. IE, even on a roll of 2, the level 1 wizard managed to HIT the armored paladin, but the strike was feeble, and easily absorbed by the armor. Or blocked by his blade.

Thus, you don't have a 50% chance to miss hitting the earth, just a 50% chance of not damaging it.

too bad the converse isn't true... who would need feather fall, I would just close my eyes when i fell, and take a 50% chance that no damage would occur...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by graeylin View Post
    I always played that your attack roll wasn't a "strike" or "hit", but whether you managed to inflict damage. IE, even on a roll of 2, the level 1 wizard managed to HIT the armored paladin, but the strike was feeble, and easily absorbed by the armor. Or blocked by his blade.
    That's how I figure AC, yeah. The miss change from being blinded though, that's just that you swing and fail to connect.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by graeylin View Post
    Damn, so now AC is how hard you hit, and HP is how many more times you can dodge?

Player 1: I hit his AC of 25! Take 29 damage!
    DM: Alright, he manages to deflect your blade at the last second.
    Player 2: Aw, I miss.
    DM: You strike his ribs, but not hard enough to pierce through his mail armor.

Also, this reminds me of This strip, and the one after it.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-04-02 at 09:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

It is possible to throw a weapon that isn’t designed to be thrown (that is, a melee weapon that doesn’t have a numeric entry in the Range Increment column on Table: Weapons), but a character who does so takes a -4 penalty on the attack roll. Throwing a light or one-handed weapon is a standard action, while throwing a two-handed weapon is a full-round action. Regardless of the type of weapon, such an attack scores a threat only on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a critical hit. Such a weapon has a range increment of 10 feet.
    Hm... I see rules regarding things that aren't designed to be thrown, but last time I checked, PC's were meant for throwin', so... What are we looking at for a range increment for yourself?

Oh, and also for the record:

If a telekinesed creature is hurled against a solid surface, it takes damage as if it had fallen 10 feet (1d6 points).
    So much for going splat if you hit? Is this going to turn into some healing drowning thing, where if you're falling 10,000 feet you can cast telekinesis (just forget feather fall exists right now) to negate most of the damage?
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2010-04-02 at 11:09 PM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

however, the only time it really matters is when you are strapped for arrows... like when you are trapped somewhere without your gear or some such. in which case you should take the time to fix them up.
    Or when you inevitably start using magic ammo, at which point it becomes really stupid that your magically-toughened +5 (from the bow you launched them with) flaming frost Bane arrows always shatter themselves on your enemies.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    This is 100% complete garbage. Ammunition, especially arrows cannot be reused without considerable effort.

For Arrows) We have damage to flights that occurs as part of firing, this alters the aerodynamic properties of the arrow so significantly that to fire again would be as inaccurate as early musket fire. We also have damage to the shaft and the head based on what if anything the object hits, steel armour for example may cause the wooden shaft to splinter and weaken, and as such be irrepairable.

For Bolts) The mechanical forces applied to the bolt along with the effects of any impact seriously degrade the value of the head and shaft, this damage may be repairable with heavier metal quarrels but a light wooden bolt would be in worse condition than an arrow if it struck something.

For Bullets) Deformation of the lead will occur with any impact, however anyone with the tools and skill (2 Ranks would seem appropriate) would be able to recast the bullet given time. You would not be able to reuse the round in the field though, as the recasting process for a lead bullet is measured in hours of time not minutes as the material is air cooled.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Or when you inevitably start using magic ammo, at which point it becomes really stupid that your magically-toughened +5 (from the bow you launched them with) flaming frost Bane arrows always shatter themselves on your enemies.
    magic ammo expands its magic AFAIK when launched... that means that even if you recover the arrow its just a plain non magical arrow now.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cuaqchi View Post
    This is 100% complete garbage. Ammunition, especially arrows cannot be reused without considerable effort.

For Arrows) We have damage to flights that occurs as part of firing, this alters the aerodynamic properties of the arrow so significantly that to fire again would be as inaccurate as early musket fire. We also have damage to the shaft and the head based on what if anything the object hits, steel armour for example may cause the wooden shaft to splinter and weaken, and as such be irrepairable.
    Damage to an arrow after hitting an armor I get.

But will the act of being fired really ruin the arrow?
    I don't really see what part of the arrow would be altered as to make the arrow practically shoot sideways.
    Maybe there's something I don't get about the intricacies of sticks, feathers and metal.
    Last edited by trmptfnfr; 2010-04-03 at 06:36 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It is actually a complex effect based on how an arrow flies, bowing up and down as it moves, that causes any small change to render it virtually unusable after firing. If it were just a matter of travelling in a straight line it would be fine, but everytime the item is handled you alter its properties.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

You can't take anything on attack rolls.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Couldn't you make arrows with mithral shafts or something more durable?
    Awesome avatar by RustMonster

Constipated Lizard Slayer

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Cuaqchi View Post
    It is actually a complex effect based on how an arrow flies, bowing up and down as it moves, that causes any small change to render it virtually unusable after firing. If it were just a matter of travelling in a straight line it would be fine, but everytime the item is handled you alter its properties.
    I must be just imagining my quiver full of arrows that are almost always fine for re-use after being shot into targets, target frames, target frame hardware, underbrush, trees, rocks, the ground, each other, etc. I've even shot armor with them... (that was intended to test the armor, not the arrows, but it works both ways...)

(Of course, if you're firing your arrows, I can see why they wouldn't be good for much after that...)

((Sorry. Pet peeve.))

In any case, if you're having trouble with insufficient ammo supply because they're breaking too much, see if you can talk your DM into letting you count the broken ammo as the necessary raw materials for Crafting a new one. The DC is easy, and, at 20 sp or less apiece, they're so cheap that you should be able to bang out replacements while sitting around the campfire in the evening. Or crammed into a rope trick with the wizard's elbow in your ear; however the kids are doing it these days.
    Play your character, not your alignment.

26. - Top - End - #26

Taking 20 is taking 1, so yes, you can take 1. Just not on things like attack rolls.

27. - Top - End - #27

Whaen I say 'take 1' I mean just repeat til a 1 is scored.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Were you using modern Carbon Fibre arrows or historically accurate wooden arrows? Were the flights made of syntehetic polyethelene fibres, or feathers? Were the flights attached with modern adhesives or bound with rigid twine?

Modern arrows are far and away superior to what is represented in game, and unless you crafted them yourself they wouldn't be time frame appropriate as representations. Now some repairs wound be rather simple, like say refletching but others might take more time, and few if any would be able to be done a battlefield.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Shut your eyes.

Actually, in D&D, attacking the ground is a grenade-like attack, so if you miss the attack roll, you just fall 5ft away from the intended location, so, no, in D&D you can't miss the ground at all

Member of the Hinjo fan club. Go Hinjo!
    "In Soviet Russia, the Darkness attacks you."
    "Rogues not only have a lot more skill points, but sneak attack is so good it hurts..."

30. - Top - End - #30

I've actually never shot a carbon-fiber arrow in my life.

Wooden shafts (my latest batch is poplar, which is not as good as cedar, but has the advantage of being a lot cheaper), real feathers. The nocks are plastic, admittedly, but I've actually found those to be less robust than horn or even self-nocks. They just have the advantage of being quick and easy. My current batch uses modern superglue, but that's mainly a setting-time and moisture-resistance thing. I've done them with period glue and bindings, which are maybe a little less robust, but not much, if you keep them dry. (And D&D has superglue, too, actually... it's called sovereign glue, and it's even more effective than real-world superglues.) Mainly it just takes longer and is more hassle.

I lose fletchings occasionally, heads or nocks more occasionally. The latter, most of the time, can be recovered and put back on. The former usually are actually damaged and need to be replaced completely. Damage to the shaft itself is much less common. By far the most common reason for me to lose an arrow is that I actually lose it... generally it goes into the ground at a shallow angle and buries itself completely, which makes it practically impossible to find without a metal detector. Even that isn't usual... most of the time, when I shoot an end of arrows, I expect to get them all back, and in usable condition.

Combat's going to be rougher on arrows, especially the ones that end up stuck into some critter, or someone's shield, but still, arrows do not normally become useless after being shot once.
    Play your character, not your alignment.