New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default should a paladin fall for participating in a drinking contest?

I recall some very good arguments from this forum about paladin alignment restrictions.

In the temple of elemental evil game there is a drinking contest, if the party has a paladin and anyone in the party participates in a drinking contest the paladin falls.
    There is now a debate on the circle of 8 mod community on whether to change this and how... it seems that most agree that if the paladin himself isn't drinking its ok, but many say that if the paladin himself does the drinking he should fall, opinions seem split about half and half to me.

So, can anyone give good ideas (especially if based in RAW) on why this should or shouldn't be the case?

here is the thread for the modding community in CO8. (note, this is relevant because co8 publishes an extensive mod that takes TOEE from unplayable to a rather polished game. To the point where atari themselves recommend it; or at least, used to, now its not listed on the atari website anymore).
    here is the CO8 thread: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7956
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-04-03 at 07:03 PM.
    I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman!

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: should a paladin fall for participating in a drinking contest?

There is absolutely nothing in the paladins code of conduct that would punish the paladin if he or any of his allies consumed any fermented beverage. Unless he has taken a vow of sobriety or worships a god of sobriety.

/thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

How about he shouldn't fall because that would just be stupid
    I mean seriously what god is that petty
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

where is the paladin code published?

the glass is always 100% full. Approximately 50% of its volume is full of dihydrogen monoxide and some dissolved solutes, and approx 50% a mixture of gasses known as "air" which contains roughly (by volume) 78.08% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.038% carbon dioxide, and trace amounts of other gases.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

If the context of the drinking contest ends with the paladin being able to do more good, then it's fine. If there's an equally able party member, it probably counts as a mark against the paladin, but I don't think drinking a liquid is enough to cause a paladin to lose all of their class features.

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    How about he shouldn't fall because that would just be stupid
    I mean seriously what god is that petty
    Ho ho! Look into Greek mythological stories.
    Last edited by Temotei; 2010-04-03 at 07:05 PM.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Paladins are rolemodels. Drinking itself is not a problem, drinking to the point of drunkenness by accident is , again, forgivable.

However knowingly drinking yourself to oblivion, that's clearly chaotic behavior and I agree it warrants a fall.

If you want to be a paladin drunkard , play a paladin of freedom and worship Cayden Cailean.
    Last edited by Soranar; 2010-04-03 at 07:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

if drinking were to cause a paladin to fall, there would be no dwarven paladins.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post

You're just going to start randomly setting things on fire, aren't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by TechnoScrabble View Post

This entire campaign's going to become nothing but partying in a long forgotten world, isn't it?
    In the past, I played Sir Theo Roost.
    I am soon to begin playing his heir, Dora the Destroya

8. - Top - End - #8

Code of Conduct

A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.

The ONLY possible (and still rather dumb) ways to argue that the Paladin falls is if strong drink is considered a (weak) poison and/or the game itself involves committing evil acts. If the drinking itself is considered the evil act, you are playing the wrong game.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Posted by Temotei221
    Ho ho! Look into Greek mythological stories.
    The greek gods would probably make you fall for NOT getting drunl
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
    if drinking were to cause a paladin to fall, there would be no dwarven paladins.
    There are Dwarf Paladins? I know a lot of Dwarf Clerics and a lot of Dwarf Fighters, but never heard of any Dwarf Paladins.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geiger Counter View Post
    There is absolutely nothing in the paladins code of conduct that would punish the paladin if he or any of his allies consumed any fermented beverage. Unless he has taken a vow of sobriety or worships a god of sobriety.

/thread
    this is a pretty solid argument because co8 tries to stick to the RAW... I was not aware that WOTC actually published a paladin code. in which book can I find it so I can cite it there?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, I disagree with the paladin falling for his friends taking part in a drinking contest. I could see it being a problem if the Paladin does the drinking contest and gets drunk, since that can lead to plennnnnty of bad situations.

So yeah. Paladin's party in drinking contest? No fall. Especially if he keeps them under control after they get smashed. Paladin taking part in the contest? Maybe a fall, depending on his deity, if he gets willingly drunk (he might be or believe himself to be resistant enough to alcohol not to get drunk), and his actions while drunk. Paladin enjoying a few drinks but not getting drunk? No fall.
    Anemoia: Nostalgia for a time you've never known.

13. - Top - End - #13

I've seen DMs shoehorning paladins into falling but...wow.
    Edit : Oh, this is a video game. Nevermind then. But yeah, you've got a solid argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by taltamir View Post
    this is a pretty solid argument because co8 tries to stick to the RAW... I was not aware that WOTC actually published a paladin code. in which book can I find it so I can cite it there?
    Well...the Paladin class description.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-04-03 at 07:15 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Posted by Temotei221

The greek gods would probably make you fall for NOT getting drunl
    i'm pretty sure a paladin of bacchus would gain a level and a nice basket of fruit for doing so...

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    Well...the Paladin class description.
    I don't see anything in the srd about it:
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/paladin.htm

But I did see something that greatly concerns me...
    Associates
    While she may adventure with characters of any good or neutral alignment, a paladin will never knowingly associate with evil characters, nor will she continue an association with someone who consistently offends her moral code. A paladin may accept only henchmen, followers, or cohorts who are lawful good.
    A paladin may only have lawful good cohorts? That means any party that has a paladin must be made entirely of lawful good people (as verified by detect evil and detect chaos spells that the paladin gets). By RAW.

EDIT:
    when you said code did you mean:
    Code of Conduct
    A paladin must be of lawful good alignment and loses all class abilities if she ever willingly commits an evil act.

Additionally, a paladin’s code requires that she respect legitimate authority, act with honor (not lying, not cheating, not using poison, and so forth), help those in need (provided they do not use the help for evil or chaotic ends), and punish those who harm or threaten innocents.
    because this seems to be rather incomplete, even including "and so forth"...
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-04-03 at 07:18 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    The ONLY possible (and still rather dumb) ways to argue that the Paladin falls is if strong drink is considered a (weak) poison and/or the game itself involves committing evil acts. If the drinking itself is considered the evil act, you are playing the wrong game.
    It could theoretically be argued that getting drunk is a chaotic act... but even then, one chaotic act does not make for a chaotic (or even necessarily neutral) person, so... yeah, pretty much.

In willingly getting drunk, you can definitely hold him accountable for mistakes made while drunk, but that's not part of the drinking contest itself.

A paladin may only have lawful good cohorts? That means any party that has a paladin must be made entirely of lawful good people (as verified by detect evil and detect chaos spells that the paladin gets). By RAW.
    Chohort is a game-defined term; see the Leadership feat. Fellow players don't qualify as Cohorts.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-04-03 at 07:19 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

17. - Top - End - #17

GnomeWizardGuy

you forget that not all deities allow paladins

I don't see how Bacchus (if someone is chaotic in that pantheon, he is) would allow lawful "stick up his ... " worshippers

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

As-in the Leadership Feat, cheif.

Also, I think the SRD has lots of bits of Fluff trimmed away, or I recall hearing such.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Posted by Taltamir
    It's in the CODE OF CONDUCT section
    EDIT
    Damn already irrelevent
    Last edited by comicshorse; 2010-04-03 at 07:20 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

You must have missed it.
    Code of Conduct

Cohorts != party members. Cohorts are your underlings, you get them through leadership and the like. Party members are your equals.

Edit : Ninja'd by just about everyone else. Damn my reaction time.
    Last edited by Ranos; 2010-04-03 at 07:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Soranar View Post
    you forget that not all deities allow paladins

I don't see how Bacchus (if someone is chaotic in that pantheon, he is) would allow lawful "stick up his ... " worshippers
    Well, they allow "worshipers". but each deity has a specific list of alignments allowed to its clerics (and AFAIK paladins too). Generally it is only 1 step away, in each direction (aka, LG god allows LG, NG, or LN)... but sometimes they allow a little more (such as a LG god allowing LG, NG, LN, or TN)

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    It could theoretically be argued that getting drunk is a chaotic act... but even then, one chaotic act does not make for a chaotic (or even necessarily neutral) person, so... yeah, pretty much.
    the COC does say that a paladin insta falls if he commits any one EVIL act. but does not say the same about chaotic acts.

However, some have argued that alcohol is evil... and it is certainly a poison (which by DnD RAW is [evil])
    Last edited by taltamir; 2010-04-03 at 07:23 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Naaaah, as long as the paladin isn't like, stealing anything I don't think he should fall.
    But he should be looked down upon by his peers for irresponsible behavior.

Edit- poison is only evil in the context of using it on other people. Poisoning yourself is not evil.
    Last edited by Mastikator; 2010-04-03 at 07:25 PM.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

" No Mr Paladin, I'm not evil I just had a couple of whiskeys earlier, that must be what you are picking up"

25. - Top - End - #25

However, some have argued that alcohol is evil... and it is certainly a poison (which by DnD RAW is [evil])
    Is it ? I don't see any alcohol in the poison tables.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Does Alcohol even have any effect, by Core-RAW?

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ranos View Post
    Is it ? I don't see any alcohol in the poison tables.
    oh snap... so true.
    Alcohol is a poison by IRL medical definition.. but in DnD there are poisons, venoms, toxins, etc and if its not classified as any of those then it isn't any... So by RAW alcohol isn't a poison even if it is IRL.

28. - Top - End - #28

RangerGuy

Alcohol does NOT equal evil. In the players handbook or the book of exalted deeds i've seen nothing showing that a paladin is prohibited from doing so. Heck, IRL religions, JESUS CHRIST drank alcohol.

Alcohol consumption is seen as evil simply due to the evils that its excess (which would fall under the purview of engaging in gluttony) can cause being prominent in people's minds.
    Unless your consumption of alcohol clearly would lead to you being unable to perform your duties, or another issue, it shouldn't be seen as an evil act. As an example: Drinking on your day off: good. Drinking on guard duty: bad.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Does Ale have [Evil] next to it?

SMITE IT WITH YOUR TONGUE
    Last edited by Setra; 2010-04-03 at 07:28 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Does Alcohol even have any effect, by Core-RAW?
    you can get a predisposition to use it as party of a depression disorder and a few other disorders which you can acquire via insanity.
    http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/sanity.htm