Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drizzt weapons

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Drizzt weapons

Everyone that has read the books about Drizzt Do'Urden knows what I'm talking about. At least if you did read the Transitions series. The question is as following: What would be the stats of Athrogates weapons. I mean, what can you make of his glassteel morningstars (or flails as they are actually). And what would Taulmaril be. Or Aegisfang (oke, returning warhammer at least, but there is more right?).

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Drizzt weapons

I think in wikipedia they stated up them for aegis fang a throwing returning giantbane(?) war hammer.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Here's something.
    Homebrew
    Please feel free to PM me any thoughts on my homebrew (or comment in the thread if it's not too old).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Indeed, there are almost al the weapons except for Athrogate, which is in my opinion one of the coolest characters in the complete series. Oke Pwent is also cool, but he's more of a no brainer.But off course Pwent also has weapons, what are those?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

In Silver Marches Aegis-fang is statted out as a +4 throwing maul of returning.

Dragon 359 (Sepetember 2007) stats out Charon's Claw as a minor artifact (+4 keen smoking longsword) with the ability to disintegrate wielders if they aren't strong-willed enough.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Aegisfang definitely has distance and probably giantbane too (in addition to throwing and returning).

Icingdeath isn't a frost weapon. It's a frostbrand outsider (fire? evil?) bane weapon.

Charon's claw has to have wounding (3.0 version).

Athrogates flails: one has the rusting ability (I don't know where I've seen that, but its basically rusting grasp on your weapon x/day), and I don't know if oil of impact stats have ever been made, but you could just use force or collision and knockback.

Taulmaril is definitely a force weapon, probably collision too (if that can be put on projectiles). Maybe shock/burst or screaming/thundering. Some of this might be the quiver and not the bow.

Also, Drizzt wears the silk shirt under his armor, its just a torso slot item that grants DR or fortification.

EDIT: Over a year ago, I found a site where somebody gave all the drizzt characters stats that were actually accurate. I have no idea where that is, though. Wulfgar had that template where you have +2 to an ability and +4 to checks with it (for strength). Guen was a dire panther of correct size (600lbs and all). Drizzt had higher dex and scout/dervish levels and all the items made sense.
    Last edited by Harperfan7; 2010-04-04 at 05:20 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

At the risk of being a bit off topic for this thread title isn't Drizzt a bit weakly built?

I stopped reading those books just after he chased Artimis Entrari in the underdark. Or was it when he defeated that demon again.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

They gave him those stats at the start of 3.0 when the developers had even less an idea of what they were doing than now.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    At the risk of being a bit off topic for this thread title isn't Drizzt a bit weakly built?
    The FRCS-version? Yeah, he's horrible; level 16 Drow (marked as CR 18, prolly for over-NPC gear) that wouldn't really challenge a level 9 party. His AC is 23, his To Hit is +17/+16/+12/+11/+7/+2, his HP is 124 and his damage is 1d6+6+1d6 for mainhand and 1d6+4 for the offhand. He can Rage for bit extra, but that's about it.

And yeah... His overall capabilities (outside SR and saves) are about equivalent to a CR 10 MM Fire Giant. Only his skills are above par. He's really an example of every way NOT to build a character in 3.X; and to consider his AD&D 2e build was actually excellent *shudder*
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

What was his 2e build, out of curiosity?
    What I learned from Bioshock:
    1. Unregulated freemarket capitalism leads, inevitably, to zombies. Genetically modified, super-zombies. This is an incontrovertible law of nature and should be taken into account whenever economic planning is done at a national level. The next time you meet a hardcore capitalist, just ask them if they are pro-zombie and see what they have to say for them self.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    What was his 2e build, out of curiosity?
    Drow Ranger 16. Basically, Drow wasn't really meant for a Player-race back then so this resulted in a fairly strong build (though now that I check it, it wasn't as good as I remembered; he still ran with only 13 Str, though his Int and Wis were immense).

Still, 5 attacks, 1d8+7 & 1d8+5 damage respectively (with AD&D HP, that's actually pretty impressive especially being able to strike after movement), 82% magic resistance, AC -8, 92 HP. THAC0 5 is pretty meh though; you'd expect THAC0 0 or so on those levels. I guess his lack of Str really hurts him there.

Also, he has some spellcasting (from Ranger), nice stealth skills (courtesy of Ranger again) and yeah. See here:
    http://www.candlekeep.com/library/ar...drizzt-2nd.htm
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-04 at 05:52 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards..._lonedrowstats

Here's a bunch of stats for the characters that Wizards came up with.

EDIT: Well that's fantastic. The link is dead. <_< It had Taulmaril as a +3 force keen elvencraft longbow.
    Last edited by AslanCross; 2010-04-04 at 07:06 PM.

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by AslanCross View Post
    http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards..._lonedrowstats

Here's a bunch of stats for the characters that Wizards came up with.

EDIT: Well that's fantastic. The link is dead. <_< It had Taulmaril as a +3 force keen elvencraft longbow.
    Web Archive to the rescue.

14. - Top - End - #14

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Drow Ranger 16. Basically, Drow wasn't really meant for a Player-race back then so this resulted in a fairly strong build (though now that I check it, it wasn't as good as I remembered; he still ran with only 13 Str, though his Int and Wis were immense).

Still, 5 attacks, 1d8+7 & 1d8+5 damage respectively (with AD&D HP, that's actually pretty impressive especially being able to strike after movement), 82% magic resistance, AC -8, 92 HP. THAC0 5 is pretty meh though; you'd expect THAC0 0 or so on those levels. I guess his lack of Str really hurts him there.

Also, he has some spellcasting (from Ranger), nice stealth skills (courtesy of Ranger again) and yeah. See here:
    http://www.candlekeep.com/library/ar...drizzt-2nd.htm
    A better build would have more levels of dervish, dumping the levels of rogue for scout and fighter levels for scout or ranger levels. Then take swift ambusher for some more synergy.

15. - Top - End - #15

Quote Originally Posted by elonin View Post
    A better build would have more levels of dervish, dumping the levels of rogue for scout and fighter levels for scout or ranger levels. Then take swift ambusher for some more synergy.
    He was published before any of those existed. Still, better build would've involved even just higher Str, full Weapon Focus-line (lol, better!) and 3.X-useful magic items. And yeah, even better build would use Rogue. With just Core-stuff at any rate.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

His stats were a holdover from 2e, where he had only 13str but 20 dex. 17int and wis as well.

Which such a high dex-str disparity, he really should find some way of finessing his weapons. Dervish seems like a good fit. I seem to recall some feat called graceful edge from the age of worms adventure which does a similar thing as well.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I actually thought Drizzt would be epic, just like Bruenor. Catti-Brie and Wulfgar would be behind them around lvl 18 or so.

18. - Top - End - #18

I actually thought Drizzt would be epic, just like Bruenor.
    Erm... Bruenor is a lvl 13 Fighter.
    Common sense is not so common.

Nanfoodle the Maverick, Conjurer of expensive tricks

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue!
    You make sense in an annoying way.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

I find it strange though. What are the tats of Entreri in that case. Lvl 15 rogue?

I expected them to be more epic. But that's probably my mistake.

20. - Top - End - #20

Rogue 4/Ranger 1/Fighter 12/Assassin 1

Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

While we're bizzy can you stat Athrogate and his weapons Especially the weapons by the way.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    Rogue 4/Ranger 1/Fighter 12/Assassin 1
    Who is that supposed to be? If that's Entreri, someone has failed massively. There's no way the majority of his levels are not Rogue/Assassin.

On another note, I think there's a reason that none of these characters were ever given character sheets by Salvatore.
    Last edited by Sholos; 2010-04-05 at 05:30 AM.
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    THAC0 5 is pretty meh though; you'd expect THAC0 0 or so on those levels. I guess his lack of Str really hurts him there.
    Thats his BASE THAC0 (for beeing a fighter class level 16). His effective THAC0 would be 5-0, depending with which weapon he slashes and how much of his +5 defender sword he would convert to AC bonus.

24. - Top - End - #24

Who is that supposed to be? If that's Entreri, someone has failed massively. There's no way the majority of his levels are not Rogue/Assassin.
    Why? Drizzt is a Ranger, yet most of his levels aren't Ranger levels. Entreri is good at sneaking, diguising and assassinating people, but usually by beating the crap out of them. He's an assassin, but not Assassin. Also, Assassins are spellcasters and Entreri doesn't cast spells.

While we're bizzy can you stat Athrogate and his weapons
    Sorry, but nobody stated him officially or unofficially yet.
    Last edited by Gorbash; 2010-04-05 at 05:46 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

4E Drizz't is statted out in the character builder up to level 21, for those that care. I don't have it myself, but my horrified DM told me he's at -10 on the point buy system with starting scores of 16, 13, 16+2, 13, 15 and 9+2. Apparently his feat progression is retarded (no scimitar dance until level 20???), and his swords are a brilliant energy weapon +5, and some kind of frost weapon.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Entreri fights way too well be just be a pure-classed rogue (too little bab), and I believe he would be an assassin in name (ie: a person who kills for money) and not an assassin in class (he doesn't really display any of the abilities of the assassin prc, such as death attack or using poison). Heck, he doesn't even cast spells!

I am tempted to replace his sole lv of assassin with a 2nd lv of ranger, which grants him free TWF. Plus, ToB is a godsend with shadow blade, which lets him add his dex mod to damage with short sword and dagger (which he incidentally favours), gloom razor and assassin's stance (adding another +2d6 SA). PHB2 has melee weapon mastery and 2-weapon rend.

Though it seems a little funny that he would actually have more class lvs than drizzt, who has trained much longer than him.

27. - Top - End - #27

Though it seems a little funny that he would actually have more class lvs than drizzt, who has trained much longer than him.
    That had to be done because they have to be same CR. That's the mechanics.

Fluffwise, it's been described time and again that due to short lived nature of the humans, they tend to be more ambitious and faster in their progression, while the long-lived races tend to take it slow (that's why not every Elf Wizard is lvl 30).

But Entreri is a Quasi-Shade now, so we'll see how it goes. Although I dislike the new Faerun with great intensity, so I don't think I'll be reading Drizzt series past Transitions. Or any other Faerun novel, for that matter, except Erevis Cale...

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28

DrowGuy

What happened to Entrari to make him a shade? Last book I read left him with flying off unconscious. Assassin spells remind me of ranger spells, few of which would lead anyone as being spells except for showcasing the personal abilities. Entrari doesn't strike me as someone who should have much in the way of non-sneak attack progressing levels. I'd give him some fighter variant that progresses sneak attack at the cost of bonus feats, then trade out the extra armor and weapon proficiency for the stealth and observing skills as class.

BTW Drizzt doesn't cast spells or have an animal companion (gwen?) either so calling those levels ranger is odd except for his selection of who to worship.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Barbarian in the Playground

RangerGuy

Both Drizzt's and Entrari classes where selected back in either 2e or 3e when core was the only options. If they were being built now they would be very different.
    Spoiler
    Show

Warforged Upgrades
    Blade Lord Vestige
    Soulforged PrC
    Transformers RPG Now Updated as PDFs on Google Drive.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gorbash View Post
    That had to be done because they have to be same CR. That's the mechanics.
    Additionally, I'd swear that their 3.0 stats are nearly identical as well. Equal levels and stats makes characters who should be roughly equal in power, especially since neither was powergamed.
    And since almost since his inception, Drizzt has been equal to Artemis, with them generally swapping victory in each fight.

Bruennor is level 14 fighter.
    Wulfgar is a level 9 or 10 barbarian.
    I know that 2nd Ed Regis was a level 5 rogue or thereabouts.
    Catti-brie? A level 12 Mary Sue. Or maybe she's gestalting herself. First fighter, then starting over as a ranger (archery), then starting over again as a wizard. (I've read up to Orc King...)