New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default spontanious casters

i need a reference to where it states that Sorcs are spontaneous casters. GM says i cant take rapid metamagic cuz sorcs dont spontaneously cast spells.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: spontanious casters

... Your DM is a noob.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.
    Definition of Spontaneous.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

So how does your sorcerer cast, if not spontaneously?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Fitting enough, it's in the Player's Handbook chapter on magic, in the metamagic section.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

How did he think Sorcerers cast their spells?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

On behalf of certain other threads, we should not assume that this nublet DM is a "he" since it could very well be a "she."

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    On behalf of certain other threads, we should not assume that this nublet DM is a "he" since it could very well be a "she."
    Hehe, yeah. Wouldn't want to be sexist now, would we?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well, while non of those above call out them as being spontaneous with the exact use of the word...

Here is the most explicit thing I can find in the PHB..

Quote Originally Posted by Quicken spell, PHB p98
    Special: This feat can’t be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously), since applying a metamagic feat to a spontaneously cast spell automatically increases the casting time to a full-round action.
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

10. - Top - End - #10

MindFlayer

Wouldn't it be more sexist to assume the DM is a she since s/he doesn't even grasp the very concept of a basic class?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DementedFellow View Post
    Wouldn't it be more sexist to assume the DM is a she since s/he doesn't even grasp the very concept of a basic class?
    We do not assume the DM is one specific gender or another. We merely state the possibility that this DM is something other than male. We do not state or suggest any in any form that the DM is definitely female.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Bananas! Now, this train has gone off tracks quickly... Maybe this unknown DM will need further evidence, so lets keep this thread from being locked for a little while longer?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

PHB pg. 53 Sorcerer class, Background section "Their first spells are incomplete, spontaneous, uncontrolled, and sometimes dangerous."

PHB pg. 98 Quicken Spell feat "This feat cannot be applied to any spell cast spontaneously (including sorcerer spells, bard spells, and cleric or druid spells cast spontaneously)."

I am also very confused as to how your DM doesn't think sorcerers cast spontaneously. They are pretty much the poster child of what spontanous casting IS.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

tongue Re: spontanious casters

We do not assume the DM is one specific gender or another. We merely state the possibility that this DM is something other than male. We do not state or suggest any in any form that the DM is definitely female.
    On a tangentially related issue, I consider all languanges that lack a proper gender-neutral pronoun are foolish, and note that "he" is easier to type because it's one letter shorter than the counterpart.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

"He" is the accepted gender-neutral pronoun in English when referring to a person. Unless you think it's more polite to say "it".

And...

Yeah your DM has no idea what he's doing. Sorcerers are the very definition of spontaneous spellcasters.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Well, while non of those above call out them as being spontaneous with the exact use of the word...

Here is the most explicit thing I can find in the PHB..
    UA to the rescue again. (Did I mention how much I love that book?)

"Characters who cast all their spells spontaneously—such as bards and sorcerers—don’t have to prepare spells."

17. - Top - End - #17
    Banned

Flumph

Don't convince your DM that sorceres are spontaneous casters. Just use the metamagic as normal.

Since you're not a spontaneous caster (according to your DM), you don't need rapid spell to cast metamagic as a standard action.

18. - Top - End - #18

And now we have resolved this issue, punish your DM. I give you...

Solo's Stupendously Superior Sorcerer Stratagems. Study these well.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

i was told that none of these references are proof that sorcerers are spontaneous casters. i need more definitive proof.

under the spontaneous caster section in the PHB it says its only druids and clerics...

for the sorc description in the classes section its a "descriptive word" not implying that sorcs spontaneously cast.

any other definitive proof?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte_Widow View Post
    i was told that none of these references are proof that sorcerers are spontaneous casters. i need more definitive proof.

under the spontaneous caster section in the PHB it says its only druids and clerics...

for the sorc description in the classes section its a "descriptive word" not implying that sorcs spontaneously cast.

any other definitive proof?
    How does this sound
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.
    I mean I really don't see how else you could interpret the class. The description under Spellcasting seems pretty clear.
    Last edited by BRC; 2010-04-06 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

21. - Top - End - #21

Planetar

You could try pointing out that the "Normal" section of the Rapid Metamagic feat is identical to the description of how sorcerers and bards use metamagic in the PHB.

But really, this is just your DM being silly. Sorcerers are practically the definition of spontaneous casters. When 3.5 rulebooks say "spontaneous caster" and want to give an example, they say "like a sorcerer".
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

If this is a test to see if you know the system (Likely not) remember the penalties for wearing armor you don't have the proficiency are under the armor proficiency feats.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Also, do note that ONLY Spontaneous casters need 1 full round to apply metamagic.

Not spontaneous? You metamagic with no time addition. Thus, no Rapid Metamagic needed.

So, ask your DM. Want to let you take the feat, or give it to you for free?

24. - Top - End - #24
    Banned

As was mentioned already, if the sorcerer doesn't cast spells spontaneously then he doesn't have to have Rapid Metamagic because only spontaneous spellcasters have extended casting times for metamagics.

You should just make a psion; you won't have that problem.

Of course, it sounds like your DM doesn't know the rules well enough to be DMing. Maybe you should consider finding someone else to DM, or pulling him (or her) here to talk to us directly?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 2xMachina View Post
    Also, do note that ONLY Spontaneous casters need 1 full round to apply metamagic.

Not spontaneous? You metamagic with no time addition. Thus, no Rapid Metamagic needed.

So, ask your DM. Want to let you take the feat, or give it to you for free?
    hes at the table now w me and says that sorcerers fall somewhere in the middle of spontaneous and prepared. and to apply metamagic it will always cast one full action (or more). i need a statement from some 3.5 book that says "sorcerers are spontaneous casters"

he also says that bards are not spontaneous casters...

otherwise i cannot take rapid metamagic.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, since when were Clerics ever spontaneous casters?? They need to prepare spells in the morning (praying etc.), don't they?

And please ask your DM, if he thinks they fall into middle ground, what part of their casting provides the prepared casting's part of the mixture.
    "Ceterum censeo mediomundum esse delendum."
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    A balor is literally made of evil - for all we know it's composed of malecules and cruelectrons.
    I will leave this world like I entered it - screaming and bathed in blood.

Martial Avatartist by the amazing yldenfrei

27. - Top - End - #27

Ask him what, exactly, sorcerers prepare?

The fact that this variant exists proves that clerics and druids aren't spontaneous casters.
    Last edited by Mongoose87; 2010-04-06 at 09:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    Ask him what, exactly, sorcerers prepare?
    he says sorcerers dont prepare spells. that they fall somewhere in the middle
    Last edited by Whyte_Widow; 2010-04-06 at 09:54 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29

Quote Originally Posted by Whyte_Widow View Post
    he says sorcerers dont prepare spells. that they fall [I]somewhere in the middle[I]
    If they're in between prepared and spontaneous, they must prepare some things and do some spontaneously. What do they prepare?
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

only druids summon spells are spontaneous. and evil inflicts are spontaneous. also, good cures are spontaneous. that is it.