New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Default Re: 3.5 What's the Most broken level 15 Character and most straightforward ?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRivers View Post
    Incorrect. Caster level 30, but effective sorceror level 16.

Phaerimm states that CASTER LEVEL = Phaerimm's HD, not Effective Sorceror Level.

This means you default to the table (only place Phaerimm Effective Sorc Levels are listed), and what do we see?

Hatchling Phaerimm cast as level 1 sorcerors.

So, hatchling Phaerimm cast as level 1 sorcerors, with CL = HD.
    Which means a Hatchling Phaerimm with 15 levels that advance sorceror is?

Level 16 sorceror, CL 30.

Strong, yes.
    Level 9 spells? No.
    The table also lists "Caster level".

You can't read one one way and the other the other.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    Your Tainted Scholar builds look fun, but I'm lactose intolerant
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimystik View Post
    You're just trying to get more people into your sig, aren't you
    Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    Seeing TO by Magic9Mushroom is like seeing a movie with Joss Wheaton as director... you know that it's worth watching, even if you do want to strangle the bastard by the time you're done with it.

2. - Top - End - #62

Default Re: 3.5 What's the Most broken level 15 Character and most straightforward ?

Quote Originally Posted by magic9mushroom View Post
    The table also lists "Caster level".

You can't read one one way and the other the other.
    Oh, my. You're right.

Let's read them both the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Empires of Faerun, Phaerimm
    A hatchling casts spells as a 1st level sorceror, while a centuries old Revered Elder is a 19th level caster.
    Open and shut. A hatchling casts spells as a 1st level sorceror. Full stop.

Caster level is totally seperate, and text trumps table, so it's equal to character level, stacking.

Final interpretation?

Hatchling Phaerimm (Sorceror lvl 1, and text above trumps table) + Sorceror 5 + tainted scholar 10 = Sorceror level 16.

Caster level = Sorceror 5 + Tainted Scholar 10 = 15, + 15 (Phaerimm HD) = 30
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-04-12 at 07:47 AM.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

Of course, you could always go with festering anger lad at level 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Mind Over Body [General]

Your ability damage heals more rapidly.
    Prerequisite

Con 13.
    Benefit

You heal ability damage and ability burn damage more quickly than normal. You heal a number of ability points per day equal to 1 + your Constitution bonus.
    Normal

You heal ability damage and ability burn damage at a rate of 1 point per day.
    Just get a high constitution score. Festering anger is a disease that causes +2 Strength and -2 Constitution every day. Yes +2 strength. Mind over body will completely offset the damage while you are on your way to becoming he-man.
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by gooddragon1 View Post
    Of course, you could always go with festering anger lad at level 1.

Just get a high constitution score. Festering anger is a disease that causes +2 Strength and -2 Constitution every day. Yes +2 strength. Mind over body will completely offset the damage while you are on your way to becoming he-man.
    Or you could Bind Naberius for healing 1 ability damage to all scores every round...
    Last edited by PhoenixRivers; 2010-04-12 at 12:07 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Orc in the Playground

Or be a cancer mage, tack on 5 more levels, and submit it to the Iron Optimizer challenge.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Chimera

Wow, lotta hate.

Ok, now for my defense.
    Yes, a lot of the characters described here are much more powerful than the monk with vop, and yes the monk with vop is behind in the stat and damage categories, but think about this. None of his abilities can be taken away. No anti-magic cone, no anti-magic field. Spellcasters are weak and a character who is dependant on his gear for his very survival is a weakling. And assuming the DM allows all of the varied prestige classes in the game. And lets not go into hypothetical characters here. Lets assume that these are actual characters that have been used in a game.
    Oh and flying, its called abundant step and the other party members. And a wizard having to use some slots to let the monk be even more amazing is not a huge burden. Its about fun, not min/maxing. And most of the characters i saw listed were min/max characters.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Warlock.
    Eldritch Glaive.
    Maximise Spell-like Ability (Eldritch Blast).

See my "Wait... What?" thread for detail... Maybe it's just me being bitter about it
    I return!

Currently working on my own game heavily influenced by D&D 3.5 and PF. All of it is OGL material. The finished version will be released on PDF at some point.

Looking for people to add random fluff to my setting. PM me if you are interested.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

..the Vow of Poverty is Supernatural. All of it goes away in an AMF.

"Spellcasters are weak": You didn't actually read anything in the thread, did you?

Abundant Step is as Dimension Door, which means you can't act after using it. Congratulations, you have made a beautiful monk-shaped splatter pattern on the ground below the flying wizard.

"A character who depends on his gear for survival is a high level adventurer. If they were a 'weakling', you wouldn't need WBL or VoP to survive at high levels - the game is balanced around the math of having magic items.

Other party members working to make their friends better is good. Other party members having to expend resources to compensate for their 'friend's utter dead weight and uselessness is not.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2010-05-30 at 07:41 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jdfollett View Post
    Wow, lotta hate.

Ok, now for my defense.
    Yes, a lot of the characters described here are much more powerful than the monk with vop, and yes the monk with vop is behind in the stat and damage categories, but think about this. None of his abilities can be taken away. No anti-magic cone, no anti-magic field. Spellcasters are weak and a character who is dependant on his gear for his very survival is a weakling. And assuming the DM allows all of the varied prestige classes in the game. And lets not go into hypothetical characters here. Lets assume that these are actual characters that have been used in a game.
    Oh and flying, its called abundant step and the other party members. And a wizard having to use some slots to let the monk be even more amazing is not a huge burden. Its about fun, not min/maxing. And most of the characters i saw listed were min/max characters.
    the op asked for a character for one on one pvp combat. other party members and a wizard to buff you are probably not options.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rin_Hunter View Post
    Warlock.
    Eldritch Glaive.
    Maximise Spell-like Ability (Eldritch Blast).

See my "Wait... What?" thread for detail... Maybe it's just me being bitter about it
    That's only marginally threatening if you add Hellfire Warlock with some either Bloodlines or Legacy Champion. At least in my opinion.

Has the OP done this PvP game or not? I'm just curious.
    mikej

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Smiling Knight View Post
    Just to save time:

Giacomo: Monks are as strong as wizards with UMD and partially charged wands.

[Respected forum members]: No they are not.

Giacomo: Yes they are. You all just abuse the rules.

[Rfm]: No u

G: No u

Repeat until someone challenges G to duel, which then never happens.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Leech:
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=8190.0

Is the most powerful straightforward 16th level character I know. Then again, I am biased

I have to admit, he is nothing special at 15th.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The answer is the same: Druid 15 with Natural Spell and Eschew Materials, plus wide exposure to the various forms suitable for wild shape. Covers both broken (starting with all-the-time Control Weather) and straightforward.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGuy

Just a Question here how are people theurging Sublime Chord, or for that matter the build with only 1 level of Ur-Priest

I presume the chord is done by learning a 2nd level spell then having to use it in a fourth level slot (or just never using it).

But how with only 1 Ur-Priest Level, Magic Mushroom? (Since it's your build)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Wow, lotta hate.
    Not hate, just disagreeing with you.

Oh and flying, its called abundant step
    Oh that 1/day, limited ranged ability that doesn't allow you to attack afterwards?

and the other party members.
    Any character with flaws covered by other party members. Broken characters shouldn't need to realy on others so readily.

Its about fun, not min/maxing.
    Not if someone asks for broken characters.

And most of the characters i saw listed were min/max characters.
    Again, the request was broken characters. A lot (but not all) broken builds involve min/maxing.
    Last edited by Boci; 2010-05-31 at 09:32 AM.
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGuy

can i say planar shepard? oohhh sh!t i said :(

well planar shepard.

Dal Quor = 10 round per 1 round of enemy. = profit.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

There's nothing stopping you from custom planing actually. Get a scroll of genesis, get your party wizard to cast it (with all the crazy traits). Attune to that plane. Anything you want, you've got it.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    We have certainly left topic. It's not simple, but my favorite of my builds, all of which count as stupidly powerful, is probably Elly.

Because Swiftblades With Nines!
    what's Elly?

And no, Monks with VOP are not broken at all. And casters aren't weak unless specifically or accidentally built to be weak.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2010-05-31 at 12:48 PM.