New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default Vorpal on a non-20

Okay, you know how vorpal weapons suck now, right? Massive amounts of money for an ability that only works 5% of the time (assuming it happens on something that can actually be criticalled)?

Anthropomorphic (or awakened, with hands of man) razor boar disciple of Dispater with Keen Weapon Aptitude kukris.

Feel the pain.

Or not.

'Cuz you're dead.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Vorpal on a non-20

Animorphic Razor boar alone makes it 16th lv minimum.
    Plus, only the tusk sever heads. You need Kensai.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

Bad memes aside, it does clearly state "the razor boar's tusk slash attack". Yes, you need Kensai to make the tusks Keen, and even then that's hardly an effective boost. Now you vorpal on 19-20... but that's a whole lot of hoops to jump through simply to increase Vorpal range.

Not to mention all the questions a Kensai Razor Boar raises. How do they dedicate themselves to a cause?

While a Razor Boar Kensai is a hilarious concept at first (my tusks are KEEN AND VORPAL) I'll have to say that this one really doesn't fly in the end.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or fight jabberwocks! They get snicker-snack'd on 18-20.
    (Alice in Wonderland Joke, anyone?)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Eh? Necklace of Natural Attacks makes your tusks Keen AND also provide at least a +1 to them.

Still, if an anthromorphized Razor Boar gets to be a Disciple of Dispater...good times, good times...

Klurichir (sp) also get vorpal pincers. Those are fiends, so they get the bonus naturally. Though, not sure if they're tanar'ri, in which case you'd need to make them lawful to get to be a Disciple of Dispater. That would be even more hilarious.
    Retooler of D&D 3.5 (and 5e/Next) content. See here for more.
    Now with a comprehensive guide for 3.5 Paladin players porting to Pathfinder. Also available for 5th Edition
    On Lawful Good:
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrandtoluc View Post
    My friend is currently playing a paladin. It's way outside his normal zone. I told him to try to channel Santa Claus, Mr. Rogers, and Kermit the Frog. Until someone refuses to try to get off the naughty list. Then become Optimus Prime.
    T.G. Oskar profile by Specter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN.

Bad memes aside, it does clearly state "the razor boar's tusk slash attack". Yes, you need Kensai to make the tusks Keen, and even then that's hardly an effective boost. Now you vorpal on 19-20... but that's a whole lot of hoops to jump through simply to increase Vorpal range.

Not to mention all the questions a Kensai Razor Boar raises. How do they dedicate themselves to a cause?

While a Razor Boar Kensai is a hilarious concept at first (my tusks are KEEN AND VORPAL) I'll have to say that this one really doesn't fly in the end.
    Not even with Improved Critical, disciple of Dispater, and exotic weapon master? If you're a deep crystal creature you can add in psychic weapon master too.

Just how big of a critical threat range can we get on a natural weapon, anyway?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

That's a pretty awesome, if less-known, Polymorph-form; Ex special attack, 15 HD! Of course, you need to upgrade your crit range but I'm sure you'll find a way.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    That's a pretty awesome, if less-known, Polymorph-form; Ex special attack, 15 HD! Of course, you need to upgrade your crit range but I'm sure you'll find a way.
    Metamorphosis or polymorph or true mind switch to avoid the excess HD problems.

Better if you go anthropomorphic, of course.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    Metamorphosis or polymorph or true mind switch to avoid the excess HD problems.
    Well, I specifically mentioned it 'cause it just fits the limits of Polymorph (and yes, Meta too).
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-05 at 10:13 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Have you considered the awesome inherent in Surge of Fortune+Bless Weapon against evil foes with only one head? It's... probably best done by an Archivist due to the spells needed, and quite silly.

11. - Top - End - #11

Not even with Improved Critical, disciple of Dispater, and exotic weapon master? If you're a deep crystal creature you can add in psychic weapon master too.

Just how big of a critical threat range can we get on a natural weapon, anyway?
    Wait, I thought critical modifiers didn't stack!

Good god, are we playing Neverwinter Nights' Kukri Weapon Master all over again?
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put tomato in fruit salad. Charisma is convincing someone it's a good idea anyways.

I am a 12/13/13/17/15/17 True Neutral Sorcerer2.

Tainted Bonds, a newly-created Touhou x D&D 3.5 CYOA. Just read these before posting anywhere. Talk about it here.

Awesome remastered ballista avatar by Savannah!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by balistafreak View Post
    Wait, I thought critical modifiers didn't stack!
    Most don't. 3.0 ones that haven't been updated do. Disciple of Dispater and Weapon Master of either flavor (Psychic or Real) are the most common ones. This, unfortunately, only gets you 15-20 or 14-20 (not sure) by my math.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Most don't. 3.0 ones that haven't been updated do. Disciple of Dispater and Weapon Master of either flavor (Psychic or Real) are the most common ones. This, unfortunately, only gets you 15-20 or 14-20 (not sure) by my math.
    Yes. "Only."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Now we need boots of speed and pounce for 4 attacks and maybe 2-3 hits so you can "only" decapitate 1 opponent per 1-2 rounds.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ericgrau View Post
    Now we need boots of speed and pounce for 4 attacks and maybe 2-3 hits so you can "only" decapitate 1 opponent per 1-2 rounds.
    Q: How do you make multiple gore attacks?

A: Multiheaded template.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrayll View Post
    GHK! (that's the sound of me choking in disbelief)

You are aware that the Jabberwocky existed before the Alice in Wonderland movie, yes?
    Mega-tar by AlterForm. Power Up!

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I've always considered breakfast to be evil. Looking at me with it's bacon-smile, and it's sunny-side-up eyes. I know it's plotting something.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    ..thank you, Deth Muncher. My life is richer for being aware of this. And weirder. ("You destroyed my friends! I will have my vengeance! Face the fury of my pelvic thrusts!" "Oh yeah? LAZOR!")
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    You all are a terrible species. I'm going back to my fortress of misanthropy now.

17. - Top - End - #17

I vastly prefer Surge of Fortune to auto-decapitate someone. Auto-20s are cool! But yeah, Barbarian + Haste...can we fit some maneuvers in? Dancing Mongoose would be an extra attack or two, Whirling Frenzy would be one more.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    GHK! (that's the sound of me choking in disbelief)

You are aware that the Jabberwocky existed before the Alice in Wonderland movie, yes?
    Presumably he refers to Alice in Wonderland, the book. Which is, I believe, the Jabberwock's first appearance, in a poem recited by the Cat.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, you know how vorpal weapons suck now, right? Massive amounts of money for an ability that only works 5% of the time (assuming it happens on something that can actually be criticalled)?
    Immunity to critical hits does not give immunity to vorpal weapons just as it doesn't stop a flaming burst. In the vorpal weapon description they explicitly pointout decapitating a vampire as being fatal.

Now here's something scary one can do, take a razor boar, kill it, animate it then cast awaken undead Extraordinary special attacks are thus restored and its still your minion.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2010-04-05 at 11:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Elderberry View Post
    Presumably he refers to Alice in Wonderland, the book. Which is, I believe, the Jabberwock's first appearance, in a poem recited by the Cat.
    Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There you mean?

EDIT: Vampires do not die when losing heads. They are just fairly blinded by it.

EDIT2: Totally ninja'd somebodyeverybody!
    Last edited by sofawall; 2010-04-05 at 11:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Elderberry View Post
    Almost. I'm pretty sure it was Through the Looking-Glass, in a book that Alice found there.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adrayll View Post
    It's actually from the poem "The Jabberwocky".

the exact wording escapes me, but it was something along the lines of: "and the vorpal blade went snicker snack"

easily my most favorite poem ever.

EDIT: this was recited by the cat in through the looking glass.

DOUBLE EDIT: ninja'd
    Last edited by The Rabbler; 2010-04-05 at 11:22 PM.
    *note: not all advice by this poster is meant to be taken seriously.

Warlock/Swordsage avatar by yldenfrei

optimization is like salt. a pinch here and there can't hurt, but too much will spoil everything.

I have salty tastes.

23. - Top - End - #23

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sofawall View Post
    Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There you mean?

EDIT: Vampires do not die when losing heads. They are just fairly blinded by it.

EDIT2: Totally ninja'd somebodyeverybody!

Stuffing their decapitated head's mouth with holy wafers would do them in though.
    Last edited by krossbow; 2010-04-05 at 11:43 PM.
    Monk sucks, but you know, it's not actually worth negative LA.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by krossbow View Post
    Stuffing their decapitated head's mouth with holy wafers would do them in though.
    With ease, even. Hard to chase a head thief with no sight.

Although I did just think of an intriguing video game bit. Enemy steals your head, puts in backpack, you can see out of backpack, you must use this vision to chase thief with body.