New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Ways of casting Plane Shift from items

Apart from scrolls, what other magic items I can cast Plane Shift from?

It's just for my Artificer, as I had an idea that I could scribe a scroll or two of Genesis, and let all my followers/creations/etc live there. I just want something more reliable than scrolls.

EDIT: Found Amulet of the Planes, but is there a way that doesn't mean I need to make an Intelligence check?
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2010-04-06 at 05:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Ways of casting Plane Shift from items

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    Apart from scrolls, what other magic items I can cast Plane Shift from?

It's just for my Artificer, as I had an idea that I could scribe a scroll or two of Genesis, and let all my followers/creations/etc live there. I just want something more reliable than scrolls.

EDIT: Found Amulet of the Planes, but is there a way that doesn't mean I need to make an Intelligence check?
    Cubic Gate, Figurine of Wondrous Power: Obsidian Steed. If you can get a Well of Many Worlds pointed there, just leave it in place and it's a permanent portal. All three of these are in the DMG.

Edit:
    As you're playing an Artificer, Eberron-specific things seem to be fair game - doesn't it have some portal crafting feats?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2010-04-06 at 05:06 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Creating Magic Items

Should come to 81,000gp if my maths is right.
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-04-06 at 05:10 PM.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Creating Magic Items

If your Artificer just needs to go between two planes, this should do nicely. At only half the price of a Cubic Gate, being keyed to infinite planes seems beyond the scope of such a custom magic item.

5. - Top - End - #5

Creating Magic Items

To buy or craft?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by volthawk View Post
    To buy or craft?
    Buy, but I admit I've missed a cost for it being unlimited/day. Couldn't see it so I gave up, I'm tired. So sue me
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew

7. - Top - End - #7

Buy, but I admit I've missed a cost for it being unlimited/day. Couldn't see it so I gave up, I'm tired. So sue me
    Doesn't have to unlimited per day. Just last a while, as I can't see a way to recharge them (MiC says you can't )

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

81,000 is unlimited. A per day charged item would be divided by (5 divided by charges per day)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumSteve View Post
    81,000 is unlimited. A per day charged item would be divided by (5 divided by charges per day)
    So I was right by RAW, but wrong according to other pre-existing items? How come they cost so much more then? Apart from the game writers being a bit thick, which goes without saying
    Last edited by Kobold-Bard; 2010-04-06 at 05:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

If you want a single use item try candle of invocation for 8,400 gp, though I don't know if that's a 2 way gate. A mirror of mental prowess for 175k works too. A well of many worlds for 82k is an interesting way to do it.

Amulet of the planes is expensive because it brings you to a specific location, unlike plane shift.

EDIT: An obsidian steed is only 28,500 gp and you could have it make multiple trips to carry everyone. It sometimes has issues with good aligned riders though. A custom item would be only 16,200 gp per daily use and could transport "up to 8 willing creatures holding hands".
    Last edited by ericgrau; 2010-04-06 at 06:01 PM.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

11. - Top - End - #11

I'm not sure how many charges to use/day. It's mostly going to be to so I can get followers/constructs/other stuff out of a demiplane created by genesis scrolls.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

So I was right by RAW, but wrong according to other pre-existing items? How come they cost so much more then? Apart from the game writers being a bit thick, which goes without saying
    The item creation guidelines are not hard rules. If you actually read through them, you'll note:
    1) One of the tables involved is called "Estimating Magic Item Gold Piece Values" (emphasis added)
    2) There's that pesky: "Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point."

For instance, a widget of continuous Mage Armor, at caster level 1 (appropriately slotted, that's market price 2,000 gp), would be far superior to actual Bracers of Armor+4 (16,000 gp). A Use-activated widget of True Strike (+20 to all attacks, negates miss chances) would also be 2,000 gp (4,000 gp, unslotted).

They're not "rules" so much as they are "guidelines". They're intended for DM use, not player use. People keep treating them as hard-and-fast rules, however.

There's also a great many things that are much, much more useful when they're at-will than they are when they're per-day.

Now, your usage of it - making a widget to mass-transport minions to a safe haven - isn't going to be gamebreaking at all. But the above is the big "why" of things not following the "rules" on their pricing.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

The Ur'Epona (Planar Handbook) and Ether Scarab (MM2) can be summoned with a summon monster II spell/scroll/etc. Ur'Epona has plane shift 1/day for itself and one rider, and the Ether Scarab has planar rip.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    The item creation guidelines are not hard rules. If you actually read through them, you'll note:
    For instance, a widget of continuous Mage Armor, at caster level 1 (appropriately slotted, that's market price 2,000 gp), would be far superior to actual Bracers of Armor+4 (16,000 gp). A Use-activated widget of True Strike (+20 to all attacks, negates miss chances) would also be 2,000 gp (4,000 gp, unslotted).
    This is way off topic, but a widget of use-activated True Strike is way less cool that it sounds. A standard action to get +20 to one attack? Most fighters are better full attacking twice.
    Also, IIRC, a Wonderous Item with a first level spell has to be crafted at 3rd level because of the feat requirement. But I don't remember where I read that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumSteve View Post
    This is way off topic, but a widget of use-activated True Strike is way less cool that it sounds. A standard action to get +20 to one attack? Most fighters are better full attacking twice.
    Also, IIRC, a Wonderous Item with a first level spell has to be crafted at 3rd level because of the feat requirement. But I don't remember where I read that.
    Command-word vs. Use Activated. For an extra 200 gp*spell level * caster level, it's just something you use as part of another action. So your use-activated Gloves of True Strike (you use them to swing a weapon) give you +20 to your attack roll ... for 200 gp over the command-word widget of True Strike, which requires a standard action to activate.

Also:
    Counterexamples on the caster level: Brooch of Shielding, Hat of Disguise, Phylactery of Faithfulness, and basically any wand or potion of a 1st level spell (both feats require a caster level higher than 1st).

Show me where the caster level requirement is stated for other than qualifying for the feat itself, please.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Which is why a command word activated item of true strike is not broken but a use activated item is.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    ...They're not "rules" so much as they are "guidelines". They're intended for DM use, not player use. People keep treating them as hard-and-fast rules, however.

There's also a great many things that are much, much more useful when they're at-will than they are when they're per-day.

Now, your usage of it - making a widget to mass-transport minions to a safe haven - isn't going to be gamebreaking at all. But the above is the big "why" of things not following the "rules" on their pricing.
    I stand corrected.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

Build a stronghold, give it plane shift 2/day.

A scepter (LEoF) of plane shift would likely be too expensive.

I think craft portal allows you to go between planes as well as just teleport
    Last edited by TheMadLinguist; 2010-04-07 at 04:21 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Banned

Psionics!

Pay for a Psionic Tattoo of Plane Shift, find a dorje of Plane Shift, or get a Psicrown made with Plane Shift in it. The dorje and psicrown will require UPD, the tattoo won't.