New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default Creative Uses of Everyday Items <3.5>

What has been a usage of an item that was not only creative, but you remember as kind of cool?

for me, I have two...

In my old Eberron Gestalt game, a PC had obtained a butter knife, applied Vorpal to it, and killed my BBEG in one throw.

and in our most recent game, we had a warforged who combined several gallons of high-proof alcohol with both of our mages (namely me and my xdm) who turned alcohol, a torch, and control wind combined with slow burn into a makeshift flamethrower.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Creative Uses of Everyday Items <3.5>

I had a 5th level factotum take down a 10th level fighter in about 4 rounds with a tanglefoot bag and half a dozen flasks of alchemist's fire.

In terms of even more mundane things, take down the BBEG with a bag of marbles.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by reptilecobra13 View Post
    I had a 5th level factotum take down a 10th level fighter in about 4 rounds with a tanglefoot bag and half a dozen flasks of alchemist's fire.

In terms of even more mundane things, take down the BBEG with a bag of marbles.
    one PC killed a lv60 evil wizard with a Bag of Holding over his head...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    In my old Eberron Gestalt game, a PC had obtained a butter knife, applied Vorpal to it, and killed my BBEG in one throw.
    For what purpose would one make a masterwork (300gp worth) butter knife?
    A wise monk trains both mind and body, but a smart monk is actually a swordsage.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    I gave the players a masterwork butterknife as an early joke in the campaign...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Apparently for making it vorpal and killing someone with it.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by mackejn View Post
    It was because one PC complained that I didn't give anything cool for encounters, so I had a Kobold Noble drop his masterwork butterknife he attempted to use on the PCs

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

at one point in one of my friend's games, after returning from a quick trip to mechanus, woo for a colapsing multiverse, i took out a bag of dirt that i had intended to give as a gift to a paladin (it seemed like a good idea at the time), and threw it at the invisible boss that was waiting for us, which caused his familiar to run, which caused an attack of oportunity, which lead to a cleave, which led to me having to quickdraw a cure light potion so that we could bring the enemy back for questioning.
    sometimes you just want to play something completely overpowered and kill things, other times you want to play a bard with a point-buy 18...

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

How about turning fantastic items into everyday items?

Such as the BBEG's shield of Great Reflection into strawberry Jell-O.

Polymorph Any Object is an archmage's best friend.
    Epic levels: Where things finally start to get interesting.
    I have been accused of being a walking, talking Spell Compendium.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    Yes, but in D&D, no matter how effective your shield might be, you're still better off charging into combat with a two-handed, pouncing, leaping, power attack from horseback using shock trooper to drop your AC into the basement while retaining your full chance to hit.

Or you know, just asking the wizard to deal with it.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Feather token of the Boat + any form of fly + large group or camp of enemies = win.

Yes, we killed an entire camp of mages + guards with it. We never got another token afterwards.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Deadfall+ alchemists fire= fiery death.

you just trapped your opponent under a huge pile of wood and then lit it on fire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rope. Not only because it has a 1000 uses but because of an amusing incident.

A PCs died/retired so he made a new one. The way he was going to meet us was investigating a mysterious cave/hole (which the party was also doing.) It was near night when the party arrived and we decided to camp next to the hole and go in when it was day.

To be safe my character decided to cover the hole (like a web) with rope and bells to alert us if anything came out during the night. Rumors had told us that there was something dangerous living in it (and bandits were a problem in the area.)

The DM had already made it apparent that the hole was difficult to spot (falling in accidentally was part of the plot hook.)

The new PC comes in the early morning to investigate the hole. Metagaming wise, planning to join the party. But he rolled low for his perception...I think you can see where this is going.

New PC falls in said hole and again rolls low for an escape attempt. The bells alert the party.

Needless to say the party thought he was a murderous bandit trying to climb out of the hole and kill us...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

rope + animate rope = saved my character from falling off the infinite staircase TWICE >.>

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

A Potion of Reduce Person. Combined with two other size reducing spells on the Dwarf Barbarian, we managed to smuggle him into the BBEG's nose. Then the spells and potion wore off.

We killed the BBEG about 2 sessions early.
    Death by dwarf.
    His head asploded.
    So did the DM's.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

In an earlier campaign I was in, we were going through the generic goblin cave at low levels, where upon our barbarian rolled a 1 in combat (But managed to not cleave his head off with his axe) and threw his axe out of reach. He looked around and picked up one of the tables that was nearby since we were in what basically amounted to the goblin's kitchen.

He then proceeded to bludgeon five goblins to death with their own kitchen table.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by mackejn View Post
    Chekov's Butterknife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

17. - Top - End - #17

HalflingRangerGuy

After our first five levels, our stingey dm from an ad&d game waaaaay back in the nineties, finally decided that the level 5 party of four will get their first magical item: a myrlund's spoon.

Infuriated, we insisted on using the spoon as a weapon. as a tiny makeshift weapon, it dealt only 1 point of damage. All four of us took turns using it.
    My mother says: those on fire should roll.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

My favorite 'everyday items' for use in combat:
    A bucket of pitch (the distilled resin from pine trees & other plants) - Poor man's napalm. Available since before roman times, possibly one of the ingredients in greek fire, used to make buckets and boats waterproof for most of recorded history. Once it catches fire, it burns like crazy (producing lots and lots of smoke, too) and you can't put it out short of smothering the flames. Dowsing with water won't work (although jumping in a pond will).

Salt & pepper - Fling either one in sombody's face and they're going to be blinded and probably disabled for a while. Don't combine them - it's actually less effective that way. Salt is naturally better for unnatural/mystical enemies (at least according to mythology), while pepper is better against humans/animals.

While marbles have already been mentioned, they get really, really nasty when combined with caltrops. In general, I feel caltrops are under-appreciated.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Caltrops are very unappreciated. I learned to love them because they are cheap, light, and really mess with your opponent. And yes, Marbles+Caltrops=An immobile non-Rogue. That's when you throw flaming pitch on them.

Remember, if you give a man fire, you keep him warm for the night;
    If you set a man on fire, you keep him warm for the rest of his life!

20. - Top - End - #20

A friend of mine makes all of his characters carry around a bag of salt. He's done this since AD&D. Why? All of his characters -- whether the character is full aware of it or not -- have a phobia of giant slugs.

Well, at one point his character became trapped in some dungeon or another by a trap that instantly froze the knee-deep water the characters were wading through. They all had some form of darkvision, so nobody had a torch or any way to melt the ice until he realized he still had his bag of salt! He melted his way out and proceeded to chop the others free.

This isn't necessarily an 'everyday item' use, but in the campaign I'm currently running, the party acquired a decanter of endless water. A bit further along, one of the characters was struck by aboleth slime. They rigged up a helmet to hold the decanter to keep him wet.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

My favorite cursed item is the helmet of endless water.

You strap it on, it becomes impossible to remove, and fills with water. Character drowns.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by shadow_archmagi View Post
    My favorite cursed item is the helmet of endless water.

You strap it on, it becomes impossible to remove, and fills with water. Character drowns.
    I would have to say, IMO, that the helm of opposite alignment beats that. Torturing the BBEG by turning him good... and having him thank you for it!

The only problem with threads like these is that my characters already need multiple mules to carry their stuff at level one. By level 16, my first character, a Factotum, had 3 Handy Haversacks, a Belt of Many Pouches, and a large Bag of Holding. And 2 Gloves of Storing. And a cloak of weaponry. They don't need more stuff.

23. - Top - End - #23

we created a frag grenade from a Bag of Holding filled with pitch and caltrops and dipped in alcohol. We then would drop it (while on fire) ontop of an enemy. needless to say, we dropped it on a white dragon...

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

Or you could just keep a Bag of Holding and Portable Hole in close proximity and Intimidate/Bluff your enemies into submission. Which one you pick depends on how deranged your character is.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by strider24seven View Post
    Or you could just keep a Bag of Holding and Portable Hole in close proximity and Intimidate/Bluff your enemies into submission. Which one you pick depends on how deranged your character is.
    or you tie them together and make a nunchucku of world ending...

and if you combine that with something that goes boom and you have a bad day on the way

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LichPrinceAlim View Post
    or you tie them together and make a nunchucku of world ending...
    Hey, you can't do that! The "World-Ending" Enhancement is way above your WBL!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

I still play in an AD&D 2nd ed game once a month. Over the years the characters have aquired lots of crazy gear but very early in our lives as adventurers we ended up going into a deep swamp to an old over-run city infested with undead.

Our DM insisted on using super aweful fumble charts, and during a pitched battle with a dozen or so ghouls and ghasts our resident Drangonslayer with High Weapon Mastery, Two-handed Style Spec, and Weapon Spec with the Great Sword ended up cleaving off his own leg, while throwing the great sword down a flight of stairs.

He then picked up his own severed leg and beat the bejesus out of the remaining foes. somehow he convinced the DM that he should get to use the benifits of Two-handed Spec with his leg AND that because he has spent profiecencies on unarmed combat, that he was profiecent with his leg. lol

good times.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

I have 2:

Monk used a 10ft pole as a surfboard. He insisted we give him all of our d20's so his one didn't get tired (he had to roll a balance check every round for about 6 straight in game minutes to get all the way to the city).

Trenchcoat of Endless Useless Items: everything from lightbulbs to syringes to napkins, this thing just kept giving me crap. So I too it off, turned it upside down and shook it. Within a minute we had enough crap to build a dam.
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

My gestalt half-orc barbarian/dragon-shaman wields a scythe as his primary weapon. One day, around level 4 or 5, we were fighting a half-ogre sorc on a balcony conveniently located above a massive vat of acid. The party ranger/fighter and rogue/monk were going face to face with him, dodging fireballs, so I decided to try sneaking around on him from behind. He noticed me as I came around a corner, but at that point it was too late for him to stop my trip attempt...The ranger and rogue tried to grab him so that they could loot him, but he was too heavy and fell over the edge into the aforementioned acid. Then, just for sheer awesome, as he was crawling out of the acid and down to a handful of hit points, I raged, leaped over the railing, and landed with my scythe in his face.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caliphbubba View Post
    I still play in an AD&D 2nd ed game once a month. Over the years the characters have aquired lots of crazy gear but very early in our lives as adventurers we ended up going into a deep swamp to an old over-run city infested with undead.

Our DM insisted on using super aweful fumble charts, and during a pitched battle with a dozen or so ghouls and ghasts our resident Drangonslayer with High Weapon Mastery, Two-handed Style Spec, and Weapon Spec with the Great Sword ended up cleaving off his own leg, while throwing the great sword down a flight of stairs.

He then picked up his own severed leg and beat the bejesus out of the remaining foes. somehow he convinced the DM that he should get to use the benifits of Two-handed Spec with his leg AND that because he has spent profiecencies on unarmed combat, that he was profiecent with his leg. lol

good times.
    Come to think of it, are characters proficient with their own body parts in 3.5? I know that by RAW, monks aren't...

But do severed body parts count as simple weapons, natural weapons (if their your parts), or improvised weapons? My guess would be improvised, but then what type would they be? A Club? What if it's a skinny Half-Giant's forearm wielded by a Dwarf? Could it then be a Quarterstaff? What if you wanted to use his eyeballs as sling bullets? Are there rules for this?

[Evil laughter ensues...]