New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Nerveskitter while flat-footed - how?

Immediate Action

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time—even if it’s not your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed.

I often see people suggest that casting nerveskitter prior to your first turn in combat helps to ensure you go first. But how can you cast nerveskitter (an immediate action) before your first turn? You're still flat-footed, and therefore unable to take immediate actions.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-04-08 at 04:07 PM.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: Nerveskitter while flat-footed - how?

Specific rule beats general rule.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Nerveskitter is a specific exception. Its description explicitly specifies that you cast it before initiative is rolled in order to boost your initiative for the encounter, and this overrides the normal restriction about casting spells while flat-footed.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Immediate Action

Much like a swift action, an immediate action consumes a very small amount of time, but represents a larger expenditure of effort and energy than a free action. However, unlike a swift action, an immediate action can be performed at any time—even if it’s not your turn. Using an immediate action on your turn is the same as using a swift action, and counts as your swift action for that turn. You cannot use another immediate action or a swift action until after your next turn if you have used an immediate action when it is not currently your turn (effectively, using an immediate action before your turn is equivalent to using your swift action for the coming turn). You also cannot use an immediate action if you are currently flat-footed.

I often see people suggest that casting nerveskitter prior to your first turn in combat helps to ensure you go first. But how can you cast nerveskitter (an immediate action) before your first turn? You're still flat-footed, and therefore unable to take immediate actions.
    Spell compendium errata.

5. - Top - End - #5

Nerveskitter itself says that you can. Like he said, specific beats general.
    Last edited by Tinydwarfman; 2010-04-08 at 04:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

To be more specific, there is errata for spell compendium stating that you can cast nerveskitter while flat-footed, as a special exception to the rules.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Does that mean that you can use Nerveskitter as an immediate action while flat-footed, and then - since you took an action - you're not flat-footed anymore?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eurus View Post
    Does that mean that you can use Nerveskitter as an immediate action while flat-footed, and then - since you took an action - you're not flat-footed anymore?
    Not quite.
    Flat-Footed

At the start of a battle, before you have had a chance to act (specifically, before your first regular turn in the initiative order), you are flat-footed.
    You've acted, but you haven't had your first regular turn in the initiative order. Thus you're still flat-footed. But your improved initiative modifier will help subsequently.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Ah. So, being specific exception to the general rule, this would mean that other immediate-action spells that I might want to use prior to my first turn, such as swift etherealness, wings of cover, and celerity, are still off-limits?

(Begging your pardon if any of these spells also include a specific exception, I'm at work now and can't review my books to check.)
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Ah. So, being specific exception to the general rule, this would mean that other immediate-action spells that I might want to use prior to my first turn, such as swift etherealness, wings of cover, and celerity, are still off-limits?
    Correct. You would need something like Foresight to get around that.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Not quite.
    You've acted, but you haven't had your first regular turn in the initiative order. Thus you're still flat-footed. But your improved initiative modifier will help subsequently.
    Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up for me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

(Begging your pardon if any of these spells also include a specific exception, I'm at work now and can't review my books to check.)
    None of the three include such an exception, so they're still off-limits. The exception in Nerveskitter's errata is extremely rare.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    None of the three include such an exception, so they're still off-limits. The exception in Nerveskitter's errata is extremely rare.
    Far as I know, it's unique. Though Feather Fall could really use it. Actually, if reading the PHB wording, it's quite clear by RAI Feather Fall should have the same clause too. But yeah, nothing else far as I know.
    Last edited by Eldariel; 2010-04-08 at 05:50 PM.
    Campaign Journal: Uncovering the Lost World - A Player's Diary in Low-Magic D&D (Latest Update: 8.3.2014)
    Being Bane: A Guide to Barbarians Cracking Small Men - Ever Been Angry?! Then this is for you!
    SRD Averages - An aggregation of all the key stats of all the monster entries on SRD arranged by CR.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    Far as I know, it's unique. Though Feather Fall could really use it. Actually, if reading the PHB wording, it's quite clear by RAI Feather Fall should have the same clause too. But yeah, nothing else far as I know.
    In 3.0, Feather Fall was listed as taking a free action to cast. Then after they came up with the concept of immediate actions, they altered Feather Fall to be an Immediate, and mentioned it in the Rules Compendium. Unfortunately, they missed the fact that this seems to make it impossible to use Feather Fall when you or somebody else falls into a pit trap. :(
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since the purpose of this thread has been fulfilled, I just wanted to butt in and mention that a Chained Nerveskitter is good fun for the whole family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Narsil View Post
    This is a D&D web forum. There's more cheese here than there is in France.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Although it is a very rare thing to have the requisite Syberis Dragonmark, there is a feat that makes you never flat-footed. Ever.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

All of this could have been so much cleaner if they made the spell a standard action with duration "24 hours or until discharged" (upon rolling initiative). Even if you want to cast it twice in the same day it's not like there won't be a break between the current combat and the next one.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Imp

Hm, now I know what to key to my contingency at lower levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want.