A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [3.5] Campaign Setting - PEACH

So, a few years ago, I started writing a Campaign setting. I worked on it a whole lot for a number of months, and then, as tends to happen with me, I had an idea for another fascinating project and stopped working on it.
    I've been thinking about getting back into DnD this coming summer, and when I was going through my old books and stuff I found all my notes on this Campaign setting. I started working on it again, and I've been enjoying myself immensely.
    I haven't quite finished everything yet (I suspect I'll never be completely done), but I've done enough that I'm willing to post it here now. I'm thinking of starting a PbP game set in this world- gonna start an interest-gauging thread.
    I'd very much appreciate comments and criticism. Also, I have a lot of documents to copy in here and format, so I'll be reserving a number of posts- please don't post until I say that I'm done reserving.

Oh, and one more note... it would be just my luck that the name I picked for my race of winged humanoids was used for a major MMO involving winged humanoids not long after.

Introduction
    Spoiler
    Show

The Slow Death:
    A Campaign Setting Written by Devin Denis

“The world is slowing... every heartbeat brings us closer to the end.”

Denvari, Luxerat, Melodi, Cartheon, Cyrosea. These are the five city-states that make up the civilized world. The great cities were once, and perhaps still are, the greatest wonders of the world. For a thousand years, the Cities have flourished with the help of Wizardry. Arcane magic fuels endless convenience, power, and wealth.
    In Denvari, the City of Night earns its name as citizens go about their business by the brightness of everlasting lamps. In Cyrosea, the glacial cold is turned away by internal heating in every home. In Melodi, transit cars allow the rich to pass wherever they wish. In Luxerat, water runs on request. And in Cartheon, even a lowly peasant can protect the land he loves with the help of a mage-bow.
    The Church of the Five Gods wanes as the people turn their hearts from faith to wealth. The Aion, those gifted with flight, grow in power and wealth, frequently rising to rule the cities. Dwarves, gnomes, and goblins, known as the underaces, are continually grinded down into the dirt, where- as most humans and Aion believe- they belong. Laborers and slaves, they fuel the cities from below.
    In the wilderness of Farland, the elves watch in dismay and despair as the magic they revile becomes prominent once more. On the outlying islands of Kenda, the rigid Halflings continue their endless pursuit of honor. Each time they invade the Cities, they are less and less successful.
    This is the age of wizardry and wonder- reason and civilization. This is the age of the Five Cities. But nothing can last forever.

Ten years ago, things started going wrong. Crops would fail, inexplicably. Mages seemed to require more rest for their work than they once did. The predators of Farland began to venture into the river delta upon which the cities are built. In the south, winters became longer and fiercer every year, and in the north, whispers of a terrible sickness began to spread.
    Five years passed, and though every problem became worse and worse, no explanation could be found. But finally, a prominent mage, Deneral Griffeson, made a discovery.
    What powers magic? It had been a question with no answer for so long, few even thought to ponder it any longer. But Griffeson had done the impossible- he discovered the source of magic.

“Magic flows from the land itself. From our soil, our water, our crops… from the sun in the sky, from the stone we build with, from the blood within our veins. Each time we tap into that potential, somewhere, there is a cost. Something is lost. Magic’s source is our very existence, and there is a limited supply.”

Griffeson demonstrated his theory in a series of experiments. He showed that when a spell is cast inside a barrier isolating it completely from the rest of the world, it would draw upon the only source available- the caster.
    Griffeson’s work created a controversy like no other. Wizards and leaders alike were completely divided. Everywhere there was chaos, anger, and fear. The cities and mages broke into two camps- one believing Grifesson’s hypothesis, and one rejecting it. There was talk of war, but it never became more than talk- the leaders of the camps could at least agree on one thing- terrible things were still happening in the Five Cities. Whether caused by magic or some other unknown source, these times were not ones for war.

The outlook is now bleak. Three cities have banned the use of Arcane magic, and are losing the great power and wealth they once had. Two try to continue the old ways in the face of encroaching disaster. Everywhere, strange occurrences and horrible calamities are commonplace.
    In Denvari, the Wizards practice on as they always have, even as the city’s gates are barred by watchmen screening for the plague, and children are born pale and fanged. In Luxerat, though no wizard may cast spells above the cantrip level, the population has been devastated by a deadly plague that resists all treatment. In Melodi, the Aion wizards control their senate and their traders in the endless pursuit of wealth, while the common people are stirred to action by terrorists and thieves. In Cyrosea, the glaciers encroach closer every year- crops are scarce, and the internal heating that once made life comfortable even in the depth of winter has been regulated to ‘emergencies only’. And finally, in Cartheon, the people worship their leader, the Wolf King, as a living god.

The world is dying. This is not a time for brave adventurers and gallant heroes. This is a time to struggle, to resist, and to hope- not for glory, wealth, or power, but for survival.

Map
    It's not exactly a work of art, but it's functional.
    Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-09 at 11:41 PM.
    Just another souless construct out for world peace and harmony.

Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Auron Avatar courtesy of Ink.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: 3.5 Campaign Setting- The Slow Death

Cartheon
    Spoiler
    Show

Cartheon,
    Seat of Order

The Wolf King,
    Symbol of Cartheon

Population: In City, 25 000 (Aion 15%, Humans 85%). In surrounding area, 35 000 (Aion 4%, Humans 96%). Total 60 000.
    Government: Aion Monarchy (Fuedalistic Theocracy). The original ruling family, the Cartheons, died out 700 years ago. The Winsuers followed, lasting 400 years. Then the, the Ectheliurs, rose to power, and they still hold the throne, but under a different name. Seven years ago, King Wulfic Ectheliur died, and his son, William, took over. William declared himself a god, and changed his name and title to William Cartheon, the Wolf King. All the dynasties have been prominent and powerful Aion families.
    Current Leader: William Cartheon, the Wolf King (Aion Warblade 6/Cleric 7) leads Cartheon. He considers himself a god, and expects his people to do the same. He had to fight a brief but bloody civil war to maintain the throne after he ascended. He had the Aion on his side, but the human nobles rebelled against him. With the help of his clerics, he won over the common people, defeated the nobles, distributing their lands to his new worshipers.
    Adjectives: Singular- Carth
    Plural- Carths
    Classes: Wizards are not allowed to practice in Cartheon. Binders are forbidden from even entering the city-state, as their practices violate the religion of the Wolf King. Bards are required by the Church to compose only songs that speak of the greatness of William Cartheon. The Church itself is incredibly powerful. Many of the common people and even some of the nobles truly believe that William Cartheon is a god, and those that don’t pretend they do, to avoid execution.
    Races: As soon as William Cartheon won the civil war, he issued a proclamation. All Dwarves, Gnomes and Goblins were required to leave Cartheon within 15 days. After that, any remaining members of the underaces would be executed. William’s army was still at large and ready, which was a major deterent to resistance. Most of the Underaces left. Some refused to be forced from their homes, and were killed. Some tried to fight back, but met with little success.
    The Aion are seen as closer to the divinity of the Wolf King, and as such are treated as superior. All Aion are also nobles, and almost all nobles are Aion.
    Stance on the Slow Death: Cartheon accepts the slow death. This is the reason for the ban on wizards practicing within its borders. Cartheon has phased out all reliance on Arcane magic, replacing as much as possible with Divine magic, supplied by the many, many clerics of the Wolf King.
    Effects of the Slow Death: Once a place of mild warmth and temperate winds, Cartheon is now snowy and cold. Gone are the long, wet summers and short winters of little snow. Now Cartheon’s winter lasts more than half the year, and the snows are deep and constant. The plague has affected Cartheon little, as it is both far from the original outbreaks in northern luxerat, and has many, many clerics to treat the disease. Some monsters come out of the sea and mountains to attack, but rarely get far, as Cartheon still maintains a strong military, and they are generally found patrolling these borders. The loss of fertile land, both from the cold and from the constant withering have hurt Cartheon’s population, as has the exodus of the underaces.
    The People: The people of Cartheon are zealous, if nothing else. They feel emotions strongly, and hold beliefs stubbornly. Many are incredibly proud of their City, and disdainful of the other city-states. As a rule, wizards and binders are both despised.
    Names (Male): Wulfric, William, Fenrir, Ari, Pherkad, Thuban, Wezen, Malkus.
    Names (Female): Aesir, Vanir, Merope, Ancha, Albia, Arneba.
    Names (Family): Wolfram, Odinus, Asgarduer, Canopus, Australus, Tegmine.
    Standard of Living: The people of Cartheon live fairly well, considering their complete lack of Arcane magic. Water is easily available from a multitude of public taps. Despite the shortages of land for growing, food is not terribly scarce, as those clerics who are able constantly create food. The military and police forces are essentially one and the same, and though they are efficient and well trained, they are also strict and oppressive. Those of the people who follow instructions and don’t rock the boat are treated well, but dissent is met with oppression.

Cyrosea
    Yeah, I named one of the cities after my internet handle... I couldn't think of any better names.
    Spoiler
    Show

Cyrosea,
    Citadel of Ice

The Mountain Land,
    Symbol of Cyrosea

Population: In City, 28 000 (Aion 3%, Dwarves 14%, Gnomes 8%, Goblins 5%, Humans 70%). In surrounding area, 40 000 (Dwarves 20%, Gnomes 12%, Goblins 5%, Humans 63%). Total 68 000.
    Government: Human Monarchy. The rein of the Cyrosea dynasty has been uninterrupted since the city was established nearly 1000 years ago.
    Current Leader: King Roland Cyrosea (Human Warblade 14/Aristocrat 2), a man of great honor and unequaled skill in battle. Though an effective military commander and a strong leader, King Roland has little mercy for the weak, and only a limited understanding of economics.
    Adjectives: Singluar- Cyro
    Plural- Cyros
    Classes: Cyrosea never relied on Arcane magic as much as the other cities, and now with the complete ban on wizardry, wizards are not exactly common. Binders are free to do as they will without oppression in Cyrosea, but they are disliked by both leaders and populace, who see relying on another being for power as a sign of weakness. The people of Cyrosea have little time or patience for what they deem “flippery”. As such, entertainers are rare. The Church of the Five has always been strong in Cyrosea, at least compared to the other city-states. The monarchy has the support and blessing of the church, who see them as touched by Winter. Worship of the Wolf King is highly discouraged, and very uncommon. Barbarians and druids from Farland are more welcome in Cyrosea than in the other city-states bordering Farland. The Knights of the White Shield, an order of paladins and crusaders dedicated to Winter (the god, not the season) have their origins and maintain their main holdings in Cyrosea.
    Races: There are more Dwarves, Gnomes, and Goblins in Cyrosea than in any of the other city-states. The mines of the Coasel mountains are maned mainly by Dwarves and Goblins, as the other races have great difficulty with the cold. Possibly due to the ruling dynasty being human, all non-humans are treated badly in Cyrosea. The underaces are mistrusted despite their commonness, and even Aion are not afforded much status beyond that of a normal human commoner. Any Elves from Farland are treated as simple savages.
    Stance on the Slow Death: Cyrosea accepts the reality of the Slow Death, and has a flat ban on the sale of magical items and spells, and on the practice of wizardry.
    Effects of the Slow Death: Cyrosea is freezing to death. Glacial ice spreads farther down from the mountains each year. Miners frequently have to dig their way to the surface through layers of ice and snow. Farmland is constantly being lost. Cyrosea has always been cold, and the people are more equipped to deal with the cold than most, but you simply cannot grow anything on a glacier. To make matters worse, monsters from Farland and the Coasels constantly work their way in towards the warmer areas. Cyrosea’s military has doubled in size in the last ten years, as constant efforts to force back monsters and glaciers taxes the force to its limits. Cyrosea is lucky in that it has not been touched yet by the plague, however.
    The People: The people of Cyrosea are hard and serious. They are often lawful and stubborn in the extreme. Determination and self-reliance are valued highly. The Cyros are annoyed by such frivolous activities as fencing and harpsichord music. Why learn to play with a thin, weak sword? Why pick an instrument you need a whole cart to bring with you? They prefer broadswords for weapons, and drums or simple woodwind instruments for music. The strain of these hard times has yet to truly affect the majority of the Cyro population. They remain stoic in the face of cold and monsters.
    Names (Male): Cyrus, Sirrius, Draco, Damin, Lucien, Altameran, Cigma, Grevane, Roland.
    Names (Female): Alea, Celia, Adrina, Eleny, Seline, Aeris.
    Names (Family): Dranymire, Elapsine, Shaelder, Elenium, Vanadale.
    Standard of Living: The people of Cyrosea live with less luxury than those of the other cities. People draw their water from wells, not taps. The people are largely poor. Since the complete ban on wizardry, use of the magical heating systems built into most homes has been regulated to ‘emergencies only’ status. Heat must be generated by a fire unless the situation is life or death. Cyrosea does have an excellently trained and very large military and police force, though they have a reputation for being overly antagonistic to non-humans.

Denvari
    Spoiler
    Show

Denvari,
    The City of Night

The Ruby in a Silver Box,
    Symbol of Denvari

Population: In City, 30 000 (Dex 10%, Aion 4%, Dwarves 12%, Gnomes 6%, Goblins 2%, Humans 66%). In surrounding area, 25 000 (Dex 3%, Dwarves 15%, Gnomes 12%, Goblins 2%, Humans 68%). Total 85 000.
    Government: Limited Democracy. Only male Humans, Dex, or Aion are allowed to run or vote. Voting also costs five gold pieces, which means that only the rich can afford to vote.
    Current Leader: Patrician Alexus Modronav (Human Aristocrat 5), has been the patrician for 14 years now, much longer than most Patricians last. He has a very hard stance against the plague, executing and destroying the remains of anybody found to have contracted it.
    Adjectives: Singular- Denvarian / Nighter (slang)
    Plural- Denvarians / Nighters (slang)
    Classes: The wizards have some influence still within Denvari, but are despised by the common people. The state attempts to protect them as best as possible, and some of the rich still appreciate their services. The government still subsidizes skilled entertainers, a hold-over from better days, making bards more common here than elsewhere. The church is weak in Denvari, due to it’s condemnation of the Dex as abominations. Some within the populace feel similarly, and there are some underground chapels, hidden from the government, that sponsor attacks against the Dex. The Denvari border guard and plague reaction forces are often rangers or crusaders.
    Races: The Dex are prevelant only in Denvari. The chance of a human child being born a Dex is now greater than 1:7. The Dex are largely integrated into Denvarian society, and are treated exactly the same way as a human by the government. Alexus Modronav’s son Emil and right hand man Cymro Vylatkeva are both Dex. There are many Dwarves and Gnomes in Denvari, particularly outside the city. They are treated with slightly less distain than in, say, Melodi, but are still considered second class citizens. They are not allowed to vote, nor join any arm of law enforcement or the military, and the City will not sponsor a talented Dwarf or Gnome fencer or musician like it does with Human, Dex, and Aion. The Aion do not enjoy the same assumption of superiority in Denvari as they do in Cartheon and Melodi. They are treated with respect, but they are required to treat Humans and Dex in the same fashion. The government is primarily human, as humans make up the majority of the voters.
    Stance on the Slow Death: Denvari has remained officially undecided as to whether the Slow Death is real or not. It has removed some of its dependence on Arcane Magic out of necessity, but still keeps many programs.
    Effects of the Slow Death: Denvari is one of the hardest hit by the effects of the Slow Death. The plague is very common in the Denvari. To combat the plague, Alexus Modronav has created strict quarantine rules. All mail to the main city is stopped and purified before it can enter. People are screened for infection by plague workers in protective gear before they can enter the city. All this is provided by arcane magic. Any citizen that is found to be carrying the plague is immediately executed and their body destroyed and purified. The measures seem to be working- very few cases have been reported in the main city- but the countryside is suffering. Plauge workers armed to dispatch any sufferers and purify the area are sent to any village suffering the plague, but they are often too late. The farmland of Denvari has been withering more and more with each year. Food is short, and famine looms. Food is rationed to the people of the city. Monsters from Farland must constantly be beat back by the border guard.
    The People: The people of Denvari are very calm. They rarely get worked up or show a great deal of emotion. They have a tendency to be needlessly insulting as well, but this only really bothers foreigners. The Nighters tend to try and ignore any crisis that might be happening around them, unless it affects them directly. Then things get ugly. The people of the city also tend to have a high appreciation of various art-forms, but such pastimes have waned in recent years.
    Male Names: Alexus, Vladmir, Maksim, Maik, Markus, Ivann, Dmitri, Mikhail.
    Female Names: Patricia, Loretta, Eike, Irena, Natashia, Anastatia.
    Family Names: Ivanov, Sokolov, Modronav, Vylatkeva, Adrenev, Corvinev.
    Standard of Living: Denvari has struggled to maintain it’s once amazing standard of living. Running water for all homes has been replaced with public water centres. Continual flames light all the streets brightly at night. The City Watch are well armed, well trained, and numerous, but dissent and crime stubbornly continue to rise. People no longer go about their business during the night, as they once did. (That activity gave rise to Denvari’s title, “The City of Night”.) The tracks of the old transit coaches are still etched in the streets, but the coaches no longer run. Taxes in Denvari are quite high. The North Bank holds funds safely, but the commoners rarely make use of it.

Luxerat
    Spoiler
    Show

Luxerat,
    City by the Stormy Sea

The Storm of Luxerat,
    Symbol of Luxerat

Population: In City, 23 000 (Aion 8%, Dwarves 1%, Gnomes 14%, Goblins 2%, Humans 75%). In surrounding area, 30 000 (Aion 1%, Dwarves 3%, Gnomes 15%, Goblins 1%, Humans 80%). Total 53 000.
    Government: Human Dictatorship. Forty-three years ago, Mistress Elenor led a rebellion against the Aion monarchy that previously ruled Luxerat. She won, and has established a dictatorship. She has stated that her successor will be specified in her will, to be revealed upon her death.
    Current Leader: Mistress Elenor D’Arlois (Female Human Crusader 5/Bard 5/Aristocrat 3), is the dictator of Luxerat. The Mistress rules Luxerat to the best of her ability, but many feel she has been too soft on the plague, leading to a massive decrease in Luxerat’s population. She has the loyalty of the military however, and so far nobody has attempted to seize power, though the ousted monarchs routinely make threats to do so from the relative safety of Melodi.
    Adjectives: Singular- Luxerati
    Plural- Luxerati
    Classes: Wizards are not free to operate in Luxerat. Since the acceptance of the Slow Death, Wizardry has been becoming more and more restricted. By now, all spells above cantrip level are banned, as is the sale of all magical items. Binders are encouraged to operate in Luxerat. The Mistress’s husband, Cyrus Cyrosea (brother of Roland Cyrosea, the king of Cyrosea), is a well-known binder. The Church of the Five has a strong presence in Luxerat, and even Mistress Elenor herself has begun following it. The Church supports Mistress Elenor’s rule.
    Races: There are few Dwarves in Luxerat. The sea does not agree with Dwarves, and they tend to avoid it. Gnomes, on the other hand, are much more common in Luxerat. The sea doesn’t bother them, so they sometime work on fishing boats. Mistress Elenor does not agree with the subjugation the underaces receive, and often tells her people to judge by ability, not stature. Some of the common people agree, but many still treat Gnomes and especially Goblins badly. Aion have a strange place in Luxerat. The monarchy defeated by Mistress Elenor was a Aion family, the Levese. As a result, the Aion are rather wary of the humans, and vice versa. The remaining Levese were banished to Melodi. Other Aion were allowed to stay, but no longer were they treated as superior, though they maintained their position of wealth. All races have suffered with the plague, however.
    Stance on the Slow Death: Luxerat was, for a long time, officially undecided on the Slow Death. In the last three years, this has changed. Mistress Elenor has accepted the Slow Death as real, and has been steadily banning the practice of Wizardry, and removing arcane conveniences from her city.
    Effects of the Slow Death: Luxerat has suffered terribly at the hands of the plague. A quarter of the once teeming population has already caught the disease, and it runs rampant through the countryside. Worse, powerful Necromancer has taken up residence in the plaugelands, and their maraudering undead have wreaked great havoc on the countryside. As if this was not bad enough, Luxerati ships are routinely attacked by a great grey leviathan from below the sea. Few survive. Fish stocks have dwindled to extreme lows, and those that do not catch the plague are always in danger of starvation. With the arcane magic gone, and nothing to replace it, simple conveniences like fresh, available water have become more difficult to find.
    The People: Despite the dire times, the people of Luxerat always find a way to make light of the situation. There is hardly a pessimist among them, and every happy moment is celebrated as a blessing. Mistress Elenor and her people remain hopeful that the Slow Death can be reversed.
    Names (Male): Antoine, Edmonde, Frederic, Louis, Maurice, Pierre, Ranier, Raoul.
    Names (Female): Florence, Gabrielle, Isabelle, Lucie, Marie, Suzanne, Valerie.
    Names (Family): Auclair, Nuin, Bellegarde, Dubois, Frey, Girard, Leclair, Renoir.
    Standard of Living: Both taxes and public programs are scarce in Luxerati. During the ten years that Luxerati was undecided on the slow death, Mistress Elenor regularly stored away a portion of all tax money collected, saving it for a time when it would be needed. Now, the few public conveniences that remain- mostly just law enforcement (known as the Civillia) are paid for from this store. The people themselves are not taxed, except for the very wealthy.

Melodi
    Spoiler
    Show

Melodi,
    The Great Metropolis

Gold is Greater than Steel,
    Symbol of Melodi

Population: In City, 35 000 (Aion 12%, Dwarves 8%, Gnomes 4%, Humans 76%). In surrounding area, 35 000 (Aion 2%, Dwarves 9%, Gnomes 5%, Humans 84%). Total 70 000.
    Government: Aion Senate. Only Aion may be members of the senate. Once elected, a senator remains in office for life. Only members of the senate may vote on new members to replace dead senators. The speaker of the senate is elected from one of the senate members.
    Current Leader: Shylock Levi (Aion Wizard 10, Aristocrat 3) is the current speaker of the senate. He is a wizard, and vehemently opposes recognizing the Slow Death as real. The rest of the senate has similar opinions.
    Adjective: Singular- Melodian
    Plural- Melodians
    Classes: The Wizards are very strong in Melodi. The senate is ruled by wizards, the richest and most influencial citizens are all wizards, and many of the best traders are or employ wizards. Pact magic is a crime in Melodi, and perpetrators are sent to prison. Bards and rogues abound in Melodi, where a good performance might just earn as much as a quick heist. The Church of the Five has much sway over the common people of Melodi, but the wizards distain religion as beneath them. Strangely, the Church of the Wolf King has gained a small following. Barbarians and druids from Farland are treated like exotic animals in Melodi- they’re feared, occasionally hunted, and put on display when caught.
    Races: Dwarves and Gnomes are slaves in Melodi. They are considered lower than animals, spit on, and forced to work at hard labour with no chance of freedom. At the other extreme, the Aion are treated as completely superior to humans. The courts, government, banks, and much of the trade in Melodi is controlled by the Aion. Many of the humans resent the stations of the Aion and pity the Dwarves and Gnomes, but they have no real power to change things. However, the resistance has freed members of the underaces several times.
    Stance on the Slow Death: Melodi does not accept the Slow Death as reality, dismissing it as a fabrication created by terrorists who wish to weaken the Wizards. Ambassadors from Melodi travel to the other city-states and try to convince them of this. Those who speak out about the Slow Death face imprisonment or banishment. With the mounting cases of plague and encroaching cold, it is fairly obvious to the common people that this is false, but most are too afraid to say so.
    Effects of the Slow Death: Melodi has not been hit as hard by the plague as Luxerat or Denvari. People die of it in the north, but it has not come close to reaching the city yet. Monsters from Farland have hit Melodi pretty hard. Two years ago, a massive bulette managed to make it’s way right into the city, and caused no end of havoc. The common people still talk about “The Great Black Landshark”. The cold of Cyrosea and Cartheon has also reached the southern parts of Melodi. Unequipped for this harsh new winter, the Melodian farmers have largely given up the south.
    As an indirect effect of the slow death, a resistance movement, calling themselves ‘the Preservers’ has been prominent in Melodi for years. They repeatedly hit arcane magical shops, destroy trolly cars, and have even assassinated several powerful wizards, including the previous speaker of the senate, Olivari Cohen.
    The People: The human people of Melodi are really separated into two groups- the traders, and the commoners. The traders are often canny and manipulative, greedy, and excellent at what they do. They are incredible salesmen and careful buyers. The commoners, on the other hand, are simple people who usually do what the Aion tell them. The commoners are hard working, but they often don’t care much about what happens to the world around them. However, this attitude has begun to fade as the harms of the Slow Death spread. The Aion themselves take their station for granted, and though some may feel compassion for humans, it doesn’t occur to them that treating humans as lesser beings could be wrong.
    Names (Male): Shylock, Olivari, Mordechai, Isiah, Ismael, Ari, Azreal, Emmanuel, Remiel.
    Names (Female): Adina, Ariel, Sasha, Mirium.
    Names (Family): Cohen, Levi, Dahon, Azulai, Moshe, Wolfe.
    Standard of Living: The Melodian standard of living is wonderful- for the rich. For the poor, it is not so amazing. Running water is available, but the price is too high for most commoners. The city watch are competent, but tend to pay more attention if a trader or Aion is the victim, and less if they’re a suspect. Transit coaches are available in some richer portions of the city, but only allow those with a pass. Passes last a year and are reasonably priced considering that, but it’s still too much for commoners. The rich areas of the city are well lit with continual flame torches, but the poor areas are dark. Crime is high in the city, largely due to the Preservers, but they only target the rich areas.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-09 at 10:29 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Races
    Spoiler
    Show

Races

The Slow Death introduces 2 new races, converts one monster race into a standard race, eliminates two PC races (the half-breeds) and changes the culture, social standing, and racial traits of basically every common race. As such, reading through this section is important when deciding on a race, as standard assumptions like “elves like magic”, and “halflings are shifty, con-man types” are no longer valid. Entries not mentioned are assumed to be the same as in the PHB, except for ‘Adventures’ and ‘Alignment’, both of which are removed entirely.

Humans

Of all the races that make up this setting, humans have changed the least. Prolific and diverse as ever, humans make up the largest part of the population of the five cities.
    Human Lands: The Five Cities are all at least 50% human, and some are as high as 90%. In Cyrosea and Luxerat, the rulers are human. Some tribes of humans live in Farland, along with the elves there, but most live in one of the Five Cities or their surrounding areas. No humans live in Kenda.
    Classes: Humans can take up any class, though Druids and Barbarians are fairly rare within the Five Cities.
    Religion: Humans largely either worship the Five Gods as a pantheon, or are agnostic. Some humans worship specific gods from the pantheon, but not as many as those who worship the pantheon as a whole. For a long time, agnosticism was increasing for humans, but with the rise of the Slow Death, many have turned to the Five Gods for solace.
    Humans from Cartheon worship the Wolf King. Most truly believe that William Cartheon is a living god. For those that don’t believe, it is safer to pretend they do than to speak out.
    Language: Humans speak common primarily. Some learn Undercommon or Celestial. Few humans speak Elven or Kendian (the language of Kenda), as speakers of these languages are rare in the five cities.
    Names: Human names are differentiated by city of origin- see the city descriptions for examples.

Dwarves

Dwarves are the downtrodden of the Five Cities. The sense that Dwarves are inferior is ingrained in the people of the Five Cities. Dwarven culture is build upon the fact that they will always be oppressed, that the worst will always be assumed of them.
    Personality: Dwarves are tough, both mentally and physically. No matter how hard something gets, a determined dwarf will always continue. Because of the constant abuse they receive, dwarves have been somewhat inured to negativity. Their language, undercommon, is littered with curses, most of which are used quite frequently. This tendency often gets on the nerves of humans and Aion attempting to learn undercommon. Dwarves are usually difficult to rile up, but once they are angry, they are fierce combatants. They never give up, often wearing down a better equipped or trained opponent by sheer determination.
    Relations: Dwarves get on very well with gnomes and fairly well with goblins. As fellow underaces, they often have to deal with similar problems, and this tends to bring them together. Dwarves resent humans. Dwarves hate Aion. Both the attitude of superiority, and the idea that the sky is somehow better than the ground infuriates them. Dwarves and elves rarely meet, but when they do they can often find common ground in humankind’s treatment of them. Dwarves and halflings meet even more infrequently, but they can often get along quite well. Like the underaces, halflings are short, and they share a reckless determination with Dwarves. Dwarves consider dex to be nothing more than pale humans.
    Dwarven Lands: The Dwarves were once lords of the Coasel mountains, but they were conquered by the Cartheon dynasty 900 years ago. The Cartheons destroyed the ancient dwarf cities- those they could find, of course. Some dwarves believe that there are still colonies of free dwarves deep under the Coasels, and that one day they will come and defeat the humans, freeing their long lost brethren. Most dwarves do not buy into this however, as there is no evidence to support the theory.
    Dwarves are now quite integrated with human society, in terms of land. Dwarves are barred from entry to Cartheon, and in Melodi there are slums that only dwarven slaves live in, but the for the most part, dwarves live wherever humans do.
    Classes: Dwarves favor martial classes, particularly the warblade and crusader. They have very few wizards or sorcerers, and druids are also uncommon.
    Religion: Most dwarves are atheist or agnostic. Some follow the five gods. They do not have their own god. Dwarven clerics generally worship ideals, such as freedom, or determination, rather than gods.
    Language: Dwarves speak Undercommon amongst themselves and other underaces. Among humans, they speak common. Dwarves do not have a language specific to their race only.
    Names: Dwarves have their own set of names, but some have adopted human names from their area of residence. Dwarven characters can select names from the list of Dwarven names in the PHB, or from the city-specific lists in the city sections.

DWARF RACIAL TRAITS
    These traits replace the corresponding or stated dwarf traits described in the PHB except where noted.
    • Always Ready: Dwarves know that any conversation or contact can turn dangerous in a second. They are always ready for a fight. They get +1 initiative at 1st level, and that bonus improves by one every five levels thereafter. This ability replaces Stonecutting, the attack bonus against orcs and goblinoids, and the dodge bonus against giants.
    • +2 racial bonus on all Appraise and Sense Motive checks. Dwarves know when they’re being cheated or tricked. This trait replaces the bonuses on Craft and Appraise related to stone or metal.
    • Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Common. Bonus Languages: Kendian, Elven.
    • Favored Class: Warblade.

Dex

Dex are an enigma. Born from human parents, they seem to resemble the widely feared form of undead, the vampire. However, this resemblance is only skin deep- the dex do not drink blood, are not all evil, and have none of the vampire’s supernatural powers. Dex have only appeared within the last twenty-or-so years- the oldest are barely 25. Dex are also born only in Denvari so far. The chance that a Denvarian woman will give birth to a dex has growth rapidly, and at this point is about 1 in 7.
    Personality: Dex vary widely in personality, just as their human parents do. Some are vivacious and charismatic, some introverted and calm, some violent and unpredictable. Each dex is unique in personality.
    Physical Description: Dex are generally slightly taller than humans, standing from five to six and a half feet. The difference between male and female dex is also slightly less pronounced than in humans. Dex generally weigh from 110 to 230 pounds. Dex are notably pale and pasty-skinned, with skin ranging from albino-white to fair. Their eyes are all the colours that human eyes are, plus the occasional red. Dex hair is as varied as human hair. The feature that really makes dex stand out from humans is their fangs. Dex’s canine teeth are place farther forward in the mouth than with humans, and are much longer. The fangs generally extend ¾ of an inch to 1 & 1/2 inches. Dex are born nocturnal, but most have this trait trained out of them by their parents early on. Dex are physically mature by age sixteen, and no one is quite sure how long they live, as none of them have been around long enough to get old or die of natural causes.
    Relations: Dex and humans can get along well, once the human gets over the fangs. Though the appearance of the dex can be a bit intimidating at first, most everybody in Denvari knows at least one dex fairly well, as they make up 10% of the population. Dex tend to have a similar attitude towards dwarves and gnomes as their human parents, which ranges from indifference to outright hatred. Once again, dex treat Aion as they were taught to by their parents. Considering almost all dex were raised in Denvari, they tend to treat Aion with respect, but not reverence. Dex can see the noble side of elves more than humans. It is easier for them to overlook their uncivilized nature. Honor-obsessed halfling prisoners are really the only type of halflings dex are likely to meet, and individual dex react differently. Some respect their discipline, while others are annoyed by their stubbornness.
    Dex Lands: The dex don’t really have lands of their own. Their homeland is Denvari, though some travel to other cities. Dex are more at home in the city than in the countryside.
    Classes: Dex are inclined more towards the rogue and bard classes than the average human, but are still widely varied among the classes. Dex swordsages are proportionately more common than human ones as well.
    Religion: Most dex are not religious. A few follow the five gods, particularly Darkness, but those are outnumbered by the agnostics. If any dex follow the Wolf King, they do not speak of it openly.
    Language: Dex speak common, like their human parents. Some learn undercommon or celestial, and a suprising number learn elven and or Kendian, but common is their main language.
    Names: Dex generally have Denvarian names. See the appropriate city section.

DEX RACIAL TRAITS
    • +1 Dexterity, +1 Charisma, -1 Wisdom, -1 Constitution: Dex are slightly more lithe and charming than humans, but often lack stamina and common sense. (Removed)
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, dex have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Dex base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Darkvision: Dex can see in the dark up to 90 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but is otherwise like normal sight, and dex can function just fine with no light at all.
    • +2 racial bonus on Jump, Climb, and Tumble checks. Dex are very good at getting to out of the way places- they can jump unnaturally far, climb at great speeds, and are extremely flexible.
    • 4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level, since dex are versatile and capable. (Considering Removal)
    • Natural Weapon: Bite. Dex can use their fangs a primary or secondary natural weapon that deals 1d4 damage.
    • Automatic Languages: Common. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Celestial, Elven, Kendian.
    • Favored Class: Rogue.

Elves

Elves are an uncivilized race. They come from the wilderness of Farland, and the people of the Five Cities consider them savages. Whether savage or not, elves are long-lived, graceful, and, in the eyes of some, beautiful.
    Relations: Elves find the massive cities and ordered country-sides of the Five Cities by turns boring and terrifying. They rarely get along with city dwellers. Humans and Aion are often patronizing towards them, assuming mental insufficiency is the cause of the elves lack of cities or magic, which does not exactly contribute to friendly relationships. Dwarves and Gnomes are often more open-minded, being so often mistreated themselves. Dex too, are more open-minded about elves. Halflings and elves can get along well together, but they can also become bitter enemies. They share a disdain for the Five Cities, long lives, and a martial tradition, but also an instinctive distrust and stubborn close-mindedness.
    Elven Lands: Elves live in small, secluded villages in Farland. They have no large cities, though rumors exist that there was once a massive elven metropolis in the heart of Farland. If it ever existed, such a city is now long gone.
    Elven villages are blended expertly into the forest, leaving little to no imprint on the surrounding area. The elves support themselves on gathered food and hunted game, with no farming.
    Elves rarely travel to the Five Cities, unless they have a very good reason. Occasionally, one will be captured by city-dwellers and brought back, but such things are rare.
    Classes: Elves do not use magic, whether Arcane or Divine. They also have a strong martial tradition, with classes such as swordsage and ranger (no spellcasting variant from the Complete Warrior) particularly common.
    Religion: Elves are strictly atheist. They do not believe that any powerful, independent supernatural force exists. Consequently, they have no clerics, even ones worshipping ideals. Though elves acknowledge the existence of divine magic, they insist that it is exactly the same as arcane magic, just presented differently. Similarly, they believe that Binding is a sham for wizards to hide their true power behind.
    Language: Elves speak Elven. Most elves do not know common, though those intending to travel to the Five Cities usually learn it. Undercommon and Kendian are virtually unknown to the elves. Celestial is sometimes learnt by elves, as the language is similar to elven.

ELF RACIAL TRAITS
    These traits replace the corresponding or stated elf traits described in the PHB except where noted.
    • Automatic Languages: Elven. Bonus Languages: Celestial, Common.
    • Banned Classes: Any which cast spells. Non-spellcasting variants of spellcasting classes are allowed. This is in addition to the elf traits described in the PHB.
    • Favored Class: Ranger (no spellcasting variant from the Complete Warrior only).

Gnomes

Gnomes, as underaces, are treated poorly in the Five Cities. Generally less numerous and vocal than the dwarves, gnomes have a definite presence in four of the five cities. Binding has been a gnome tradition for as long as anyone can remember. The gnomes were the original binders in the five cities- all non-gnome binders can be traced from teacher to student back to the gnomes.
    Personality: Gnomes act completely differently depending on the company they’re in. As binders and members of the underaces, they have to be careful about their company and who they trust. A gnome will be reserved, secretive, and quiet with people they don’t know or don’t trust. However, when around friends, gnomes can be very friendly, curious, and open. A gnome that feels comfortable can be a wonderful entertainer, and many gnomes are excellent humorists. However, few people outside of the underaces see this side of the gnomes.
    Relations: Gnomes get on well with dwarves, and can tolerate goblins more than most other races. Like the other underaces, gnomes are resentful of the station afforded to Aion. However, gnomes tend to be more accepting of their lower-than-human status than dwarves. This is not to say that gnomes don’t have a problem with being treated as second class citizens, but that they don’t tend to make as much of a fuss about it as dwarves. As such, they tend to get along with humans better than dwarves. Gnomes and halflings have an odd relationship. Gnomes see halflings almost as their distant and annoying cousins. They share the same height, but have very different outlooks.
    Gnome Lands: Like the dwarves, gnomes live in the five cities, generally in the poorer areas. Unlike the dwarves, gnomes don’t have an ancestral homeland that was conquered- they’ve always lived alongside and below humans.
    Classes: Gnomes are excellent binders with a long heritage to draw on. Some gnome bards are exceptions to the ‘secretive among strangers’ tendency of gnomes, while some are not, and will only perform for those they trust. Gnome rogues are fairly common. Gnomes do not practice arcane magic.
    Religion: Gnomes don’t generally bother with the five gods. They put their faith in the vestiges. They don’t actually worship vestiges, but they do rely on them and revere them to a degree.
    Language: Gnomes speak undercommon and common, like dwarves and goblins.

GNOME RACIAL TRAITS
    These traits replace the corresponding or stated gnome traits described in the PHB except where noted.
    • +2 racial bonus on will saving throws vs. mind-affecting spells and effects. This replaces the saving throw bonus against illusions, and the increase in illusion difficulty classes, and the craft (alchemy) bonus.
    • Racial bonus feat: Bind Vestige. If the gnome starts in the Binder class, this feat changes to Improved Binding. This replaces the bonus on attacks against kobolds and goblinoids, the dodge bonus against giants, and the spell-like abilities.
    • Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Common. Bonus Languages: Elven, Kendian, Celestial.
    • Favored Class: Binder.

Halflings

Halflings rule the islands of Kenda, off the coast of Cartheon. They are a ritualistic and warlike people, concerned in the extreme with personal honour and discipline. They have an uneasy cease-fire with the Five Cites.
    Personality: To a halfling, personal honour is worth more than fame, more than gold, and in some cases, more than life. A traditional halfling saying goes “A short life lived honourably is worth more than a long life filled with shame.” Of course, not all halflings follow this adage perfectly, but most at least try to live as honourably as possible.
    Halflings find pride in victory, especially against a larger foe. Halflings are instinctively distrusting and hostile towards those larger than them. They take pride in showing the big people that being little doesn’t necessarily make you weak.
    Society: Halflings have a rigid caste system, with five levels. Halflings are born into a specific caste and remain in it their whole lives. No halfling can change their caste during their lifetime, but they believe reincarnation can cause a halfling’s caste to change.
    The castes are, from lowest to highest- slave, peasant, skilled, warrior, noble. Slaves have no rights and are considered property. They work primarily as builders and servants for nobles. Peasants have more rights than slaves, and are not owned. They tend the fields of the nobles. Peasants are the most numerous caste. The skilled are families of halflings who pass down their skill from parent to child in each generation. Skills range from blacksmithing and woodworking to wizardry and musical performance. Warriors are exactly that- warriors. They are well respected and afforded a high honour, second only to nobles. Warriors represent the elite fighting class of halfling armies. The other classes, particularly peasants and skilled, may be part of the army, and may have limited combat training, but warriors are the true soldiers of the halflings. Nobles are the ruling class of the halflings. Each family of nobles is responsible for a section of one of the islands. The highest family of nobles are those that rule Kanto city. The head of that family is the Emperor of the halfling people. Currently the Emperor is Shin Akitashi.
    Relations: Halflings dislike humans. They’ve been at war with the Five Cities off and on for hundreds of years, and they never liked big people anyway. Halflings consider Aion worthy opponents to fight, but do not befriend them. To a halfling, dex are no different from humans. Halflings and dwarves rarely meet, but when they do, they can get along well- provided the halfling can overcome the fact that the dwarves live alongside humans. Halflings are often annoyed by gnomes’ lack of personal honour. The only place a halfling is likely to meet an elf is in a prison of one of the Five Cities, where they often become either bitter enemies or close friends, depending on the attitudes of the individual elf and halfling.
    Halfling Lands: Halflings live on the islands of Kenda, either farming the land, or in one of the cities (Edo, Kanto, Mizako, Tako), all of which are quite small in comparison to any of the Five Cities.
    Classes: Halflings are highly inclined towards the martial classes- warblade, swordsage crusader, barbarian, ranger. Rogues are fairly common to. Halfling rogues epitomize the phrase ‘honour among thieves’. Halfling wizards are not unheard of, though they have never been as important to Halfling society as they are in the five cities. Halfling binders are very rare, as the skills of a binder can usually only be learnt from a native of the Five Cities.
    Religion: The halflings follow an astetic code of self-improvement and believe in reincarnation. A halfling who has lived their life honourably will be reincarnated in a higher caste. However, a lived lived without honour will drop a halfling into the peasant or slave castes. Halfling clerics often worship ideals of honour or reincarnation.
    Language: Halflings speak Kendian. In their own tongue, they call themselves the Stoichai. Halfling is what the people of the Five Cities named them in common. Kendian and common are not similar. Kendian uses fast strings of syllables to indicate phrases and sentences. Words are not used individually, but modified by pronunciation and context to a specific meaning from a wide range of possibilities. This makes it difficult for halflings to learn languages of the Five Cities, and vice versa.
    Names: Halflings have their own names and naming system, described in the section on Kenda. Refer to there for halfling names.

HALFLING RACIAL TRAITS
    These traits replace the corresponding or stated halfling traits described in the PHB except where noted.
    • Ability scores as rolled: Halflings are strong for their size, and do not excel or lack in any other areas. This replaces the dexterity bonus/strength penalty.
    • +1 racial bonus on attack rolls against foes of medium or larger size: Halflings take pride in being able to bring down a larger foe. This replaces the general bonus to saving throws.
    • +2 racial bonus on concentration, intimidate, and tumble checks: Halflings are disciplined, know how to unsettle an enemy, and are naturally flexible and athletic. This replaces the bonuses on climb, jump, and move silently checks.
    • Weapon Familiarity: Halflings may treat katanas (bastard swords) as martial weapons rather than exotic weapons. This replaces the bonus to attack rolls with thrown weapons.
    • Caste benefits: Halflings gain a bonus dependent on which caste they hail from. This trait replaces the bonus on listen checks.
    Slave: Endurance as a bonus feat
    Peasant: +3 on profession (farmer) checks.
    Skilled: +2 on one perform, profession, or craft skill of your choice.
    Warrior: Toughness as a bonus feat.
    Noble: 50% extra starting gold. (First level gold only- when creating higher level characters, add only the amount that would have been gained for a first
    level character.)
    • Automatic languages: Kendian. Bonus languages: Common, Celestial, Undercommon.
    • Favored Class: Warblade.

Aion

Aion are the priviledged upper-class of the Five Cities. Almost all Aion families are rich, and in Cartheon and Melodi, almost all are powerful nobles. Aion can fly, and it this ability that lead to them becoming the upper-class.
    Personality: Aion are a mixed bunch, personality wise. Some are haughty and snobbish, looking down on others from above, while some are genial and helpful, and some are simply patronizing. No matter their actual actions, all Aion have a long ingrained sense that they are superior to humans. Very few Aion consider humans equals, but some try to look after humans, feeling affection towards them, as a human might for a disabled child.
    Physical Description: Physically, Aion have only one difference from humans. They have large, feathery wings that extend from their back, between their shoulder blades. Colouring varies from pure white to dark brown, and even the occasional black. A fully grown Aion’s wingspan ranges from 13-15 feet. It takes long training for a Aion to be able to fly under their own power, but they can glide from a young age.
    Beyond the wings, Aion are as varied and diverse as humans.
    Relations: Aion, as described in the personality section, have an ingrained sense of superiority. Their reaction to humans ranges from disdain to pity to open friendliness. Their relations with humans are shaped by this attitude, as many humans have been taught that Aion are superior as well. Aion tend to dislike dex on sight. Something about them bothers the Aion. The feeling is not mutual, so dex and Aion can get along if the Aion ignores their instinctual dislike. Aion and the underaces do not get along. The Aion consider dwarves, gnomes, and especially goblins to be vulgar and uncivilized, violent and unimaginative. In turn, the underaces, particulary the dwarves, take offence at the idea that being able to fly makes you somehow better. They’d prefer to stay right here on the ground, thank you very much. As such, Aion’s relations with the underaces are strained at best. Aion don’t really understand elves. They assume that some sort of deficiency is the reason that elves do not use magic, do not have cities. As such, they are often either patronizing or disdainful towards them. Aion respect halflings for their discipline and honour, and some are fascinated by halfling culture, but they still consider themselves superior.
    Aion Lands: Aion live wherever humans do. Or, as they see it, humans live wherever they do. The Five Cities are their home. Few live in the countryside, as they consider it a place for farmers, and Aion would never do such menial work.
    Classes: Aion have a large number of wizards and sorcerers for their population. They have fewer martial classes as well, but overall, Aion can be any class.
    Religion: There are three groups of Aion, in terms of religion. Those that follow the five gods live mostly in Luxerat and Cyrosea. Agnostics and atheists are common in Denvari and Melodi, and followers of the Wolf King populate Cartheon.
    Language: Aion speak their own language, Celestial, and also common. Some Aion also learn Elven or Kendian.
    Names: Aion are named according to the standards of the city they are from- see the appropriate city section for a list of suggested names.

AION RACIAL TRAITS
    • Medium: As Medium creatures, Aion have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
    • Aion base land speed is 30 feet.
    • Wing-Aided Movement: Aion can use their wings to help with movement even if they can’t fly yet. The extra lift from their wings gives a Aion a +10 racial bonus on jump checks.
    • Gliding: A Aion can use their wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Aion glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a Aion’s maneuverability improves, they can’t hover while gliding. A Aion can’t glide while carrying a medium or heavy load.
    If a Aion becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, their wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Aion descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
    • Flight: When Aion reach 5 Hit Dice, they becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). An Aion can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted.
    Aion can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice
    as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Aion are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Aion can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).
    When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Aion have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running.
    An Aion with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Aion must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. An Aion can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage.
    An Aion with flight can use the run action while flying, provided they fly in a straight line.
    • Automatic Languages: Common and Celestial. Bonus Languages: Undercommon, Elven, Kendian.
    • Favored Class: Wizard.

Goblins

Goblins, like dwarves and gnomes, are of the underaces. They’re treated extremely poorly by the people of the five cities, even more so than dwarves and gnomes. Goblins are ugly, short, and usually depressed.
    Personality: Goblins are pessimistic from long experience. They have the worst of everything- physically weak, poor moral tendencies, a visage that other races find repulsive, and extreme poverty. As a result, goblins distrust any sort of possible happiness- it’s obviously a trick to make them even more miserable. No matter what an individual goblin may achieve, he or she will never feel proud or satisfied. They know that whatever they’ve done won’t last long.
    Relations: Goblins invite almost universal disgust and hatred. Even their fellow underaces, the dwarves and gnomes, dislike them. Only the treatment they both receive from humans keeps dwarves and gnomes from treat goblins just like everybody else does. The Aion have a story about one of their own, who tried to stand up for the goblins and help them get treated better. The Goblins told him not to bother, since he’d never succeed.
    Goblin Lands: Like the other underaces, goblins have no lands of their own, having been assimilated into the Five Cities. However, purely goblin slums exist in the worst parts of each city except Cartheon (where goblins are executed on sight).
    Classes: Goblins can take up any class. They don’t tend particularly in any direction.
    Religion: Goblins are rarely religious. Religion implies hope for something better, whether in life or afterwards, and Goblins don’t have that.
    Language: Goblins speak undercommon, and most know common as well.
    Names: Goblins frequently use the same types of names as dwarves and gnomes.

GOBLIN RACIAL TRAITS
    These traits replace the corresponding or stated goblin traits described in the MM except where noted.
    • +2 racial bonus on will saving throws vs. mind-affecting spells and effects. This replaces the bonus on move silently and ride checks.
    • Immunity to Fear effects: Goblins aren’t afraid, because fear comes from the unknown, and they know that the worst thing possible is going to happen. This is in addition to the goblin traits in the MM.
    • Single-Mindedness: May re-roll any failed will saving throw against a mind-affecting spell or effect (one re-roll per save, obviously). Goblins are distinctly resilient to attempts to change the way they think. It takes a lot to sway a goblin from their train to thought. This is in addition to the goblin traits in the MM.
    • Pessimism: Must roll saving throws against all beneficial effects, including harmless ones (the save may not be voluntarily failed): Goblins distrust anything that seems good. They instinctively resist such effects. This is in addition to the goblin traits in the MM.
    • Automatic Languages: Undercommon, Common. Bonus Languages: None.
    • Favored Class: Any.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-10 at 08:08 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Classes
    Spoiler
    Show

Classes

Entries not mentioned are assumed to be essentially the same as in the PHB, except for ‘Adventures’ and ‘Alignment’, both of which are removed entirely.

Barbarian

Barbarians in the World: Barbarians in the Slow Death are a rare breed. Practically unheard of in the Five Cities, barbarians are more common in Farland. Urban barbarians are more common as dissent grows throughout the cities.
    Religion: Barbarians can be part of any religion. There are even barbarians who follow the Wolf King (though very few).
    Races: Elves and uncivilized humans from Farland most commonly take the barbarian class. Dwarves occasionally become urban barbarians. Gnomes are too civilized, and goblins too depressed to become barbarians. Aion are also too civilized, and too well-off for the rage that leads one to urban barbarian. Halflings can become barbarians, but their society frowns on such people, because maintaining honour in a blind rage tends to be difficult.
    VARIANT: URBAN BARBARIAN
    This variant is largely a flavour change. The urban barbarian is a rebel against civilized society. Filled with rage at the establishment, they act erratically and often outside the law. Urban barbarians lose the connection to wild tribes and the wilderness.
    Mechanical Changes: An urban barbarian is automatically literate, and does not need to spend the skill points. An urban barbarian loses Handle Animal, Ride, and Survival as class skills, but gains Gather Information and Bluff.

Bard

Bards in the World: Bards used to have the best job in the world- get paid (quite a lot in most places) to entertain the rich. Now, with fewer rich and less money to burn, life for a bard is tough. On the other hand, in times of trouble people like to seek escape, and a good bard can provide that through storytelling. Bards alone and in troupes travel the Five Cities, looking for a good crowd and real pay.
    Religion: The Bardic tradition was once tied closely to Darkness (of the Five Gods), but this connection waned in the years of progress and civilization, as did most religion. Many bards still pay homage to Darkness, or the Five Gods as a whole, but few are devout.
    Races: Bards are most often human. Aion make competent bards, but few are willing to take on the life of traveling that most bards employ. Dwarves don’t much like bards. Dwarf bards are rare in the extreme. Gnomes, on the other hand, love bards, though their status prevents them from seeing many non-gnome bards. Goblins produce the occasionally bard, but the vast majority of goblin songs are melancholy and slow, so goblin bards are not usually very successful. Dex make good bards. One of the most famous bardic troupes currently touring is Hadar Magna, a group of three dex bards that play the harpsichord, lute, and fife together. Halflings have few bards, and those they do have tend to focus on historical stories and epic war poems.
    Bardic Magic: Bardic magic is believed to arise entirely from the power of music and the bard’s own skill, similarly to the more supernatural effects martial adepts can create. As such, it is not believed to contribute to the Slow Death.

Cleric

Clerics in the World: As the Slow Death advances, and times become more troubled, the clerics of the world become more and more influential. People facing terrible times turn to faith to bring them through, and clerics fill this need. Preaching anything from the Five Gods to the ideal of a magic-less society, clerics are a common sight in the Five Cities these days. In Cartheon, every citizen is required to worship the Wolf King, and his many clerics wield great power in the city.
    Religion: Clerics can follow any religion. Clerics of ideals are quite common, but the Church of the Five Gods is the still the most influential religion with the people. On the other hand, the Church of the Wolf King is rapidly gaining power and influence, even beginning to spread beyond the borders of Cartheon.
    Races: Most clerics of the Five Gods and the Wolf King are humans or Aion. Clerics of ideals can come from any race.
    Other Classes: Clerics and wizards have been in competition since the rise of civilization. They do not tend to get along well, especially now with the Slow Death. Clerics of the Five Gods get along well with pretty much everybody, while clerics of ideals’ interactions are guided by the specifics of their faith. Clerics of the Wolf King are generally disliked and distrusted outside of Cartheon, and they show open scorn of clerics who do not follow the Wolf King.

Druid

Druids in the World: Traditional druids are very rare within the Five Cities, and uncommon even in Farland, as the elves, the primary inhabitants of that region, do not use magic. Truly, druids of nature are a rare and angry bunch.
    On the other hand, urban druids are quite common within the Five Cities. For some, the city is a way of life, a place that transcends nature, and a few dedicate their lives to it, mirroring their more nature-loving cousins.
    Religion: Druids generally revere their places in the world above any deity, whether that place is the city or the forest. They may make the occasional prayer to the Five Gods, but their true faith lies in the world itself.
    Background: Druids are not part of a larger order in this setting. Individual druids may realize their powers on their own or be trained by a mentor, and their may be small groups of druids who work together, but they are not all part of a continent-spanning organization.
    Races: Nature druids are almost exclusively human. No other race both lives in the wilderland of Farland and uses magic. Urban druids can be any race, though humans are still the most common.
    Other Classes: Druids of nature who are aware of the cause of the Slow Death (which are most of them- it’s common knowledge, even in Farland) hate wizards. To them, arcane magic is a defilement of the land, a destructive force that will lead only to the harm of the natural order. They are generally more tolerant of other classes, but tend to dislike rogues, urban druids, and bards.
    Urban druids are conflicted over wizards. Arcane magic has made the cities what they are- without it they crumble, as is becoming increasingly evident. But allowing arcane magic to be used without impunity has lead to the onslaught of the Slow Death, which will destroy the cities as surely as the loss of arcane magic will. Urban druids tend to dislike barbarians, rangers, and nature druids, as they feel those people do not understand or appreciate the city.
    Variant: The urban druid variant appears in the Dragon Magazine Compendium.

Fighter

Though technically not a banned class, people who wish to play fighters are encouraged to look into the generally superior and more interesting warblade class. Refer to the warblade write-up for information on fighters. And I just realized I never actually did a warblade write-up. Consider that to be on the top of the the to-do list.

Monk

Monk is not a playable class in the Slow Death. Play an unarmed variant swordsage instead.

Paladin

Paladin’s are another class that is kind-of obsolete. The Crusader is mechanically superior, more flexible, and (IMO) more fun to play. If you want to play a paladin, I encourage you to look over the crusader class and consider taking it instead. Remember, moral codes can be role-played without a certain annoying and argument provoking mechanic. Refer to the crusader write-up for information on paladins in the Slow Death.

Ranger

Rangers in the World: Of the three classes with a connection to the natural world, rangers are the most common. Elves commonly take this class, as it is both martial and nature-oriented. It is also common among humans, both in the tribes of Farland and in the Five Cities. The Denvari border guard, who guard the edges of the forests of Farland that border Denvari, are composed primarily of rangers. Urban rangers are reasonably common in the various law-enforcement organizations of the Five Cities.
    Relgion: Rangers tend more towards the Five Gods than agnosticism, with many following Sea or Darkness specifically. Worship of the Wolf King is more common among rangers than many other classes, but is still rare outside of Cartheon.
    Background: Most rangers were trained by an organization, rather than a single mentor. The elves who wish to become rangers are often trained in groups by multiple instructors. The Denvari border guard has it’s own teachers and standards. Urban rangers, on the other hand, often develop their skills independent of any organization, whether picking them up on the street, or being taught by a single mentor.
    Races: Humans and elves make up the majority of rangers. Aion don’t feel a connection their environment as strongly as humans, and that connection is a major part of being a ranger. Dex make good rangers, and take the class fairly often, but their numbers are small enough that humans still outnumber them twenty to one. Dwarves and goblins sometimes become urban rangers. Gnomes rarely do. As with any martial class, some halflings take ranger.
    Variant: Urban Ranger: If I can find Cityscape, I’ll use that variant. Also, the non-spellcasting ranger variant from complete warrior is required for Elven rangers.

Rogue

Rogues in the World: Rogues are very common in the Five Cities. With such dark times, and nothing better predicted for the future, many turn to trickery or crime to get ahead while the getting’s good. However, these are dangerous times for a rogue. Law-enforcement, desperate to maintain order, don’t pull punches. Busted once and you’ll likely be in jail till the end of the world- which, incidentally, may not be that far off.
    Religion: Rogues have no particular tendencies in religion, except that those who follow the Five Gods often follow Darkness over the others.
    Races: Humans, dex, and goblins all make good rogues, and the class is particularly common with those races. Halfling rogues are not the scoundrels that rogues of other races generally are. They may be sneaky, but they’ve still got honour to uphold. Elven rogues are fairly rare- there aren’t many chances to use a rogue’s skills in the wilderness of Farland. Aion rogues are not very common. Why steal when you have what you need already? Dwarves are sometimes rogues. They usually direct their larcenous efforts against the rich humans and Aion who mistreat them.

Wizards [and Sorcerers]

A note on the difference between sorcerers and wizards: Sorcerers and wizards are, in most settings, very different in flavor, and quite separate within the world. The Slow Death brings wizards and sorcerers much closer together. In fact, both are considered to be the same thing by nearly everybody in the setting. Sorcerers and wizards are essentially two sides of the same coin- wizards practice the ‘classical style’, while sorcerers practice the ‘free style’, but both achieve the same end- arcane power. Though there is a certain degree of rivalry between the two styles, they still are very much both part of the same group. When the text refers to ‘wizards’, or ‘the wizards’, it generally includes both free style wizards and classical style wizards.
    Wizards in the World: Wizards play a very important part in the Slow Death, however, the link between arcane magic and the Slow Death is covered in more detail elsewhere, as is the effect of widespread arcane magic on civilization.
    Wizards are most common in Melodi, where the senate is run primarily by Aion wizards. There, they have a great deal of power. This is in contrast to their standing in Cartheon, Luxerat, and Cyrosea, where they are reviled beyond any other group, except perhaps goblins. In those cities, the practice of arcane magic is banned, and if a wizard is caught casting spells, or making, procuring or selling magical items, they can be thrown in jail. In Denvari and even to some extent in Melodi, the common people hate wizards, but wizardry is still legal there.
    Practicing wizards can be split into two groups- the guilt ridden, and those in denial. Melodi has many wizards who fall into the ‘in denial’ group. They refuse to acknowledge that they have anything to do with the Slow Death, and some even deny its existence entirely. Such wizards are often angry, resentful of their lost station and dieing profession, and extremely touchy about the Slow Death.
    Guilt-ridden wizards are those that (openly or not) know they are part of the Slow Death, and are tormented by it. Why then, do they continue to practice wizardry? There are a variety of reasons, but most are superfluous. The real reason is that wizardry is very, very hard to give up. Though not physically addictive, arcane power can easily become something that a person becomes dependent on. The power, the ease, the sheer usefulness of wizardry keep people using it.
    Relgion: Wizards are largely atheist. The fact that both the Church of the Five Gods and the Church of the Wolf King officially condemn wizards as destroyers of the world does not tend to produce piety from the spellcasters in question.
    Background: There used to be large arcane universities in each of the Five Cities, where young wizards would train. The Guildhall of the Arcane, situated in Melodi, and the Artell Academy, in Denvari, are the only arcane universities left, and the Artell Academy gets barely 5 new students a year. Most practicing wizards today are over the age of 30, people who attended the universities before the Slow Death began. Very few people still wish to become wizards, and outside of Melodi and Denvari, nobody is allowed to teach wizardry anyway.
    Races: Humans and Aion are the most common wizards. For a long time, it was considered a pride to have a wizard in the family- the wealthy would send their son or daughter off to one of the great universities to study and learn the art of the arcane. Dwarves, gnomes, and goblins are almost never wizards- they have nobody to learn from, and usually no interest either. By the time the first dex were old enough to become wizards, the profession was already in decline, so dex wizards are rare. Halflings have their own wizards. They don’t believe in or don’t understand the connection between magic and the Slow Death, so they actually produce more new wizards each year than all the five cities combined.
    Other Classes: Wizards in denial hate binders and highly dislike clerics. Anybody who could possibly replace them are despised. Guilt-ridden wizards are still slightly predisposed to distrust binders, but they do tend to be more open minded. Wizards in general tend to think of themselves as superior beings- whether that shows through in their words and actions depends on the individual.

Binders

Binders in the World: Binders are fairly mainstream in the Slow Death. This isn’t to say they aren’t hated and considered evil abominations by some, namely the wizards and the Church. Binding has been a gnome tradition for hundreds of years, but only since the Slow Death began have other races started taking it up. A high-ranking wizard named Cyrus Devroe gave up his station and powers to take up binding, and has since campaigned to have binding completely replace wizardry. Unfortunately, though binding can emulate some wizard abilities, binders cannot create magic items to replace those created by wizards.
    In Melodi, where the wizards are strong, and in Cartheon, ruled by the Church of the Wolf King, binders are not allowed to practice.
    Religion: Few binders are religious, unsurprisingly. Vestiges and gods just don’t go well together.
    Background: All binding starts with gnomes. Though individual binders may not be personally associated with gnomes, if you were to trace the line of master and student back, you would find a gnome eventually. Or more likely, quite quickly. There are no real schools or official methods of learning binding- generally, binders took up their profession after being taught by a family member or friend in their youth.
    Races: Gnomes are by far the most common binders. Dwarves and goblins, being fellow underaces, are the most likely to learn binding from the gnomes. Beyond the underaces, there are vastly fewer binders. Human binders are growing in number, but they are still very much a minority. Aion binders are practically unheard of. When exposed to binding, halflings are frequently intrigued- but opportunities for them to learn the skill are exceedingly rare. Dex binders are about as common, proportionally, as human binders. Elves generally dislike binding, seeing it as just another way of dressing up a wizard.
    Other Classes: Wizards dislike binders, seeing them as a sub-par imitation of their own practice. Clerics and binders are always suspicious of each other, but if they can overcome that, they’ll likely find they share many of the same goals. Binders frequently get along well with those who hate wizards for causing the Slow Death- though binders themselves may not hate wizards any more than normal, they represent an alternative and presumably safer path to power.

Martial Adept Classes

Martial Adept classes represent the standard fighting styles of martial characters in the Slow Death. Their abilities are not considered exotic or strange, merely impressive.
    Martial Adept classes and the Slow Death: Like divine magic, pact magic, and bardic magic, even seemingly supernatural maneuvers are not believed to contribute to the Slow Death. Opinions vary wildly on whether the abilities of crusaders are a related form of divine magic, or non-magical. Although many feel that the crusaders do employ a form of divine magic, one of the strongest arguments against this is that there are elven crusaders, even when elves decry all other forms of magic.
    Martial Adept classes and the Magebow: All the martial adept classes focus on close combat. Many of them feel that the magebow, though certainly potent, is ultimately a weapon that is of little use to a highly skilled warrior. Although they may carry them as secondary weapons, martial adepts consider using the magebow as a main weapon to be an indicator of a lesser-skilled combatant.

Swordsages

Swordsages in the World: Swordsages are the least common of the three martial adept classes in the Five Cities. In Kenda, on the other hand, they are the most common. Melodi has the greatest number of swordsages within the five cities. Considered more subtle and discreet than warblades or crusaders, swordsages are frequently employed by the traders as protection or for other, less legal purposes.
    Races: Humans and Aion make up the majority of swordsages in the Five Cities. Training as a swordsage is not uncommon for Aion wishing to learn to defend themselves in a more ‘civilized’ way. Aion swordsages generally consider their martial style to be superior to the less refined warblades and crusaders. Dwarves are generally more inclined to pursue the path of a warblade or crusader than a swordsage. Gnomes, on the other hand, favour swordsages over other martial classes. Dex are equally inclined among all of the martial classes, much like their human parents. Elven swordsages are quite common.

Crusader

Crusaders in the World: Crusaders are fairly common in the Five Cities, but less so in Kenda. The Church of the Five Gods once contained a chapter of Crusaders devoted to each of the Five, but over time those chapters faded away. In recent times, the numbers of Crusaders in the service of the Five has increased again, as more people return to the old Faith. The formidable army of Cartheon is composed primarily of Crusaders in service to the Wolf King.
    Races: Humans and Aion are the most common Crusaders. Rarely are the underaces or halflings dedicated enough to one faith or ideal that they become crusaders. Strangely enough, there are Elven Crusaders, though they are rare. The causes they fight for tend to be personal, rather than general. For example, an Elf crusader might fight to help his family and village prosper, rather than for an abstract concept like good or evil. Dex crusaders are few- though perhaps this is simply because Denvarian crusaders in general are few.

Warblade

Warblades in the World: Although the mage-bow has made militia far more powerful, it is a poor substitute for a well trained warrior. The best troops on the battlefield are always martial adepts, not magebow users, and frequently it is warblades who make up the core of an army.
    Warblades are more common than either of the other martial adept classes in the Five Cities. For a long time, Warblade training was the standard method of training any martial professional. Since the invention of the magebow, however, things have changed. These days, Warblade training is generally only given to those who wish to pursue true martial mastery- for those who are simply being job-trained, the focus is on learning to use a magebow effectively.
    Races: There are warblades of every race. Humans, Dex, Aion, dwarves, elves, and halflings frequently become warblades. Gnome and goblin warblades are slightly less common, but they are still fairly numerous.

Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-10 at 10:15 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5

Religion
    Note that several of the deities use domains that are supposedly described later in this section- that isn't actually done yet. It's on the to-do list, right after the classes sections on Warblades, Crusaders, and Swordsages.
    Spoiler
    Show

Religion

There are two religions in the Five Cities. The Church of the Five has been around for thousands of years and has the support of a large portion of the population. Its gods are distant and uncaring, but many turn to faith for support in the face of the Slow Death. The second religion is the Church of the Wolf King. Practiced almost exclusively in Cartheon, the Church of the Wolf King worships William Cartheon, the Wolf King and ruler of the City of Cartheon. William declared himself a living god when he ascended the throne, and all subjects of Cartheon are required to worship him.

The Church of the Five
    The Church of the Five is named for its five gods- Winter, Order, Sea, Darkness, and Wealth. The Five Gods are distant and uncaring, concerned with the world as a whole, rather than specific people. Clerics and worshipers may pray to the pantheon as a whole, or to a specific god within it. The worship of the five waned for a long time, as the power of Arcane magic gave the Five Cities every convenience possible. However, with the rise of the Slow Death, more and more people turned to the Church for comfort and solace. The Church promises that this crisis can be averted if people turn from Arcane magic and place their faith with the Five. They also say that the faithful will spend their afterlife in peace and happiness, reliving whichever parts of their lives were most happy, while those without faith cannot remember their happiness, and fade to nothingness after death.
    The Five Gods are not anthropomorphic. They do not have humanoid forms, do not care about humans, may not even have noticed humans. They are considered essential forces of nature, pure and simple.
    Clerics of the Five (pantheon or individual deity) may be of any alignment.

Winter
    The Father of Cold, Lord of Attrition
    Symbol: A blank white shield
    Portfolio: Cold, courage, death, endurance, mountains, winter
    Domains: Death, strength, weather*, winter**
    Favored Weapon: Longspear
    *Domain described in Deities and Demigods.
    **New Domain described later in this chapter.

Winter is the god both of immense personal strength, and the forces which work to erode that strength. Winter is the cold wind at your back, and the determination which keeps you from bending to it. Winter is the snow that covers your fields, and the endurance that allows you to clear them. Winter is the glaciers that threaten to crush your very existence, and the will that allows you to resist.

Wealth
    The Master of Coin, Favorer, Nobility’s Strength
    Symbol: Three gold bars, stacked in a pyramid shape
    Portfolio: Artisans, knowledge, merchants, medicine, nobility, wealth, wit
    Domains: Artifice*, knowledge, nobility*, wealth**
    Favored Weapon: Mage-bow/crossbow (any type)
    **New Domain described later in this chapter.

Wealth is the god of the material, and the mental. Wealth is a trader, a buyer, a seller. Wealth is noble, and wealth is petty. Wealth knows all, and understands nothing. Everything that is built or made is Wealth. Everything that is owned is Wealth. Wealth is an illusion, but has more power than reality.

Order
    The Lawmaker, The Citymaster, Surety of Day
    Symbol: Three towers, with a shining sun above the middle one
    Portfolio: Civilization, discipline, honor, justice, loyalty, truth
    Domains: Protection, sun, city*, order**
    Favored Weapon: Mace (any type)
    *Domain described in Races of Destiny.
    ** Law domain renamed to order.

Order is the god of law, of society, and of honor. Order brings both good and bad. Stability, and conformity. Power, and corruption. Honor, and stubbornness. Order is necessary for civilization, both positive and negative. Order protects all as equals, whether they deserve that protection or not.

Darkness
    Absence, The Cover, Sleepless One
    Symbol: A pure black circle.
    Portfolio: Darkness, forests, hunting, luck, music, night, thunder storms
    Domains: Darkness*, luck, trickery, weather*
    Favored Weapon: Dart

Darkness is the god of things just out of reach. The night is there, but you cannot see through it. The forest lies within a short distance, but you dare not enter. The stag you hunt is always just a little bit too far out of reach. Music seems always to hint at something that you cannot quite grasp, and the thunder storm always catches you just before you can reach shelter. Darkness leads people to hope, gives them a goal- but there is always some element that remains beyond them.

Sea
    Master of the Waves, the Bridgetaker
    Symbol: A bridge extending to the horizon over the open ocean.
    Portfolio: Journeys, sea, sky, beasts, rain
    Domains: Air, animal, travel, sea*
    Favored Weapon: Sickle
    *Water domain renamed to sea.

Sea is the god of water- from the smallest raindrop to the vast ocean, but also of the air, of animals, and of travel. Traveling over water, whether by bridge or boat, is part of Sea. Animals, particularly birds, are part of Sea. Each person that gets up and heads away down the road is part of Sea.

The Five Gods (Pantheon)
    Symbol: Three towers, connected by bridges with gold bars piled on them, rising out of areas of white, black, and blue.
    Portfolio: Everything
    Domains: Winter*, wealth*, order**, darkness***, sea**
    Favored Weapon: Unarmed Strike
    *New Domain described later in this chapter.
    **Law domain renamed to order, water domain renamed to sea.
    ***Domain described in Deities and Demigods.

Many clerics of the Five worship the whole pantheon, rather than one specific god. In fact, it is only in the last hundred years or so that people have begun to worship only one of the gods. Largely they are seen as a closely interrelated group. Some purist church officials believe that only worshipping one of the Five is disrespectful to the others, but most don’t bother making a fuss about it. If people are worshipping one of the Five, it’s better than if they aren’t worshipping any, right?

The Church of the Wolf King
    The Church of the Wolf King worships William Cartheon, the Aion ruler of Cartheon. William’s original name was William Ectheliur. He is the son of Wulfric Ectheliur, the previous king of Cartheon. During his father’s reign, William went on a long journey in Farland, looking to find the rumoured ancient ruined city of the Elves. Though he left with over 20 companions, only he returned. He brought with him a wrought iron crown, with the words “For the Wolf King” inscribed along it in the old runes of the Elves.
    A short time after William’s return, King Wulfric died of natural causes, and William ascended the throne. William then declared himself a living god, changed his name to William Cartheon, and created the Church of the Wolf King.
    A bloody civil war erupted at this proclamation, with the human nobles of Cartheon rebelling against William. At first the Aion nobles sided with William only because they feared that if the humans were allowed to win, they would place one of their own on the throne. During one of the first battles, William insisted on leading his troops himself. He waded through the battle, brushing normal men aside, and arising unharmed from the mightiest of blows. As the fighting wound down, a young human man managed to sneak up behind him, and shot him in the back of the head at point-blank with a mage-bow.
    William seemed dead, and his troops began to despair, but shortly thereafter he miraculously rose up, whole and unharmed. After this, the Aion nobles, along with many of the common people of Cartheon, were convinced of his status as a living deity.
    Needless to say, he won the war. Cartheon is now firmly under his control. All within its borders are required to at least pretend that they worship him. His most outspoken and distinguished servants are granted lands as his lords, and they in turn grant land and titles to those below them.
    William hates Dwarves, Gnomes, and Goblins. Shortly after winning the war, he exiled all underaces within his borders, on pain of death.
    The Church of the Wolf King does not deny the existence of the Five gods- in fact, it allows them to be worshipped. However, they must be considered secondary to the Wolf King. In the words of William: “The Five gods exist. They are part of this world. But they are not aware. They care nothing for us, do nothing for us, do not even realize our existence. They are not worthy of true worship.”

The Wolf King
    William Cartheon, The God upon the Earth, The Risen One
    Symbol: A grey wolf’s head wearing a black crown on a yellow background, with a black sword and shield in the corner
    Portfolio: Cartheon, war, Aion, destruction, nobility
    Domains: Destruction, glory*, nobility*, war
    Favored Weapon: Bastard Sword

The Wolf King promises to stop the Slow Death, protect his people, and free his city of the underaces. So far, only the first goal has not been achieved. Followers of the Wolf King have the protection of all Cartheon.

Magebow Description
    Spoiler
    Show

The Magebow

The magebow is a magic item which mimics the function of a crossbow, but at a much greater potency. It was invented about 60 years ago by a Carth wizard, and since then has revolutionized the armies of the five cities.
    The item resembles a long piece of wood, generally grey coloured, though that varies with the model. Runes are inscribed along the sides of the stock. There are no embellishments other than the runes- no physical bow on the end, or trigger. A magebow is attuned to fire when the user wishes it too, with no need for a physical trigger.
    There are several reasons the magebow has made such a difference. First of all, the firing stock is self-steadying. This allows even untrained combatants to fire with a reasonable degree of accuracy. The bolt fired by the magebow is a magical construct- it remains solid only until it hits something, and then it fades away. The bolt itself is quite thin, however, as a smaller size means it requires less energy to create. The bolt travels completely straight without fail. This too makes the weapon much easier to aim.
    The problems with the magebow are primarily ones of expense and versatility. Magical items are not cheap, even when facilities are specifically designed to be able to mass produce them. The Five Cities are rich, and able to afford to equip their armies and guardsmen with magebows, but the items are out of the price range of most single individuals. The sale of magebows to individuals is also highly regulated- only official suppliers may sell to individuals, and those individuals may not pass on their magebow in any way to another person.
    The length of the stock (about half a metre, or 1.5 feet) makes it very difficult to use a magebow on a nearby enemy. The stock is also far too light to be used as a club, which means a magebow user must draw another weapon if their opponent can close the distance.
    In recent times, many magebow production facilities have been shut down. None of the Five Cities have stopped using them, but only Melodi continues to make them. As such, the price to buy one officially has increased a fair bit. A person willing to buy one from an illegal source may be able to find one at a much cheaper price, however. Also, magebows have never been made in smaller sizes for gnomes, goblins, and halflings.

Simple Ranged Cost Dmg(M) Critical Range Weight Type
    Magebow 1000gp 2d8 19-20x2 200ft 6 lb. Pierce
    A magebow is automatically considered masterwork, and in addition, it grants a +2 bonus to attack rolls made when the target is 30ft or further away.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-10 at 10:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Default Re: [3.5] Campaign Setting - PEACH

Updated with a map in the first post and the Cities' symbols in their descriptions.
    Done reserving, also.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-09 at 01:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

The Dex erk me. +/-1 to an ability score is very odd, since there isn't always even a change to the modifier. The actual benefits and penalties from the racial adjustments are completely dependent on whether or not the character has an even or odd score put in. That's why ability adjustments are always even: it guarantees that the modifier will change as expected.

Also, they are a bit overpowered compared to a human. In exchange for a feat, they get 90 ft. darkvision, +2 on three checks, and a natural bite attack. I suggest knocking off the skill point increase.

I do like your different take on the goblins, though.

Urban barbarian? I want to play one. Goes well with the standard rogue and the thug variant fighter.... Hell, you could play an entire campaign involving lawless characters.

8. - Top - End - #8

Yeah, the Dex were one of the parts I did when I was first working on it a few years ago, and I think they need a revision. Removing the skill point increase would probably be reasonable. I might just take the ability modifiers right out. I think I originally had them as +1s because I wanted the emphasize that the Dex weren't that different from humans- leaving them out would achieve much the same goal.

Glad you like the Goblins.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-09 at 09:07 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I like your setting (I'll comment more later).

I like your avatar (for obvious reasons).

If you wanna better map, PM me (I'm a cartographer).

10. - Top - End - #10

Only skimmed the setting so far (have to get to work in a bit), but I like what you have so far.

Crunchwise, the Dex need revision indeed. +1/-1 has never been used by WoTC, so you should probably stick to a more conventional method. I'd suggest +2 Cha, -2 Con.
    I must admit I'm not a big fan of vampires, so the Dex' background doesn't appeal to me very much.

I do like what you've done to the Dwarves, Gnomes and Goblins though. Seems like a natural response to the growing human city states.

About your map: is this the whole of the world, or just the explored lands? It feels a bit... contained. Which is fine for a campaign setting, but as a world, it's a bit off.

Last comment based on my brief skim: consider giving the rangers the non-casting variant from Complete Champion instead of Complete Warrior. CW only gives a couple of meh abilities, CC hands out free feats every 4 (I think?) levels. This brings them in line with the ToB classes a bit more.

Recently resurrected. Sorry for bailing on you guys.

"Never play leapfrog with a unicorn"
    Awesome OOTSatar by Crimmy, masterfully done.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BooNL View Post
    +1/-1 has never been used by WoTC
    I think it has, actually. I don't know what book, but I'm sure that it has been used. It was probably some crappy Monster Manual race that you're not even supposed to play.

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by BooNL View Post
    Only skimmed the setting so far (have to get to work in a bit), but I like what you have so far.

Crunchwise, the Dex need revision indeed. +1/-1 has never been used by WoTC, so you should probably stick to a more conventional method. I'd suggest +2 Cha, -2 Con.
    I must admit I'm not a big fan of vampires, so the Dex' background doesn't appeal to me very much.

I do like what you've done to the Dwarves, Gnomes and Goblins though. Seems like a natural response to the growing human city states.

About your map: is this the whole of the world, or just the explored lands? It feels a bit... contained. Which is fine for a campaign setting, but as a world, it's a bit off.

Last comment based on my brief skim: consider giving the rangers the non-casting variant from Complete Champion instead of Complete Warrior. CW only gives a couple of meh abilities, CC hands out free feats every 4 (I think?) levels. This brings them in line with the ToB classes a bit more.
    The Five Cities and surrounding area is most definitely the 'known' world, rather than the entire world. There could be anything out there across the sea or past Farland.

I haven't read complete champion, but that Ranger variant sounds like it'd be pretty good. I'll look into it.

As for the Dex, I think I'll probably just take the ability mods right out. I want their baseline stats to be pretty close to Humans, so I'd like to avoid giving them +2/-2 in something.
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-10 at 08:59 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by draco_nite View Post
    I think it has, actually. I don't know what book, but I'm sure that it has been used. It was probably some crappy Monster Manual race that you're not even supposed to play.
    It has been done, but not in 3.5. The +1/-1 showed up a few times in 3.0, and was one of the things that got axed for 3.5, and rightly so.

The other concern I had while reading this was regarding Elves and Crusaders, and I was looking forward to the Class section to see if this would be explained... Guess I'm still waiting on that part.

Overall, a very interesting campaign setting, with a lot of potential.

14. - Top - End - #14

The Dex ability bonuses have been axed.

EDIT: Updated with some expanded information on Binders, some basic information on each of the martial classes, and a proper explanation of the magebow (in the same post as religion).
    Last edited by Rigel Cyrosea; 2010-04-10 at 10:29 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Banned

Surprised no mention of psionics. With magic going downhill and divinity dropping, those who need to draw on nothing but themselves would become known.

16. - Top - End - #16

I hadn't really considered Psionics, but I think I'd probably prefer to leave it out. I don't really want there to be a strong equivalent to Arcane magic. Psions can do most of the things that wizards can, and without the attached cost... I don't want there to be an easy solution to the problems with Arcane magic.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

If you're still interested, so am I. I loved this setting, personally. :D
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rigel- "You have, like, eight threads open! You're like a binge-reader or something!"
    Me- "Ten. Shush, I Just found a cool thread!"
    Rigel- "Do you even ever post?"
    Me- "No. Ooh, 'Bad times to roll a natural 20'? Greatest Jedi ever poll? Cool!"
    Rigel- "Binge-lurker, I say!"

18. - Top - End - #18

Aramil! Didn't know you still frequented these forums. And of course I'm still interested- though I don't actually know whether you're referring to our old game from last year or the one I've recently started here. Either way, interested still.