New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Powers Known? (4e)

I've been looking for the numbers of powers known a character gets and can't seem to find it. I think it was located on a table somewhere, but don't remember where. I've been told that they get all known At-Will powers, but...
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Powers Known? (4e)

Check the table showing experience to next level (should be in the part about building a character). It'll tell you how many At-will, Utility, Encounter, Daily powers you should have at any given level.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Its on page 29, on the table mentioned on the post above
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Pretty sure this is in the DMG, let me dig it out...

...yep, page 143 to be exact. Note that this table predates psionic classes (PHB3) and isn't accurate for them.

BTW, most classes get 2 at-will attack powers. Humans get an additional at-will attack power from their class as a racial power, and half-elves get an additional at-will attack power from another class (that they use as an encounter power) as a class feature.

And psionic classes work differently, essentially augmenting their at-will powers.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheEmerged View Post
    ...and half-elves get an additional at-will attack power from another class (that they use as an encounter power) as a class feature.
    Appologies for altering your message a little, but since only the quoted part is relevant to what I have to say I hope you will understand.

Half elves can turn their encounter power to at-will power at level 11 and get another one at level 16, provided they take the right paragon path. And at level 20, they get a stance to use every at-will power known by any ally in burst ten. Not the best thing power wise, but fun as hell and really appropriate fluff wise.

I do love half elves so much
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

The only tricky thing about powers known is retraining. Once you get to paragon tier, you start losing lower-level powers any time you get a higher-level one.

But up through lvl 11, just look at the powers in the book, pick two at-wills (+1 for human) and one of everything else your level or lower.

Unless you're a wizard, in which case you get extra utilities and dailies but have to choose at the start of each day which to prepare.
    Some things I do that you might enjoy:
    Chaotic Shiny - Random generators of all types for gaming and writing (including characters, names, taverns, cities, pantheons, languages, and 60+ more)
    Chaotic Shiny Productions - Flavor-packed D&D supplements (mostly 4e), plus some systemless free products and software
    Latest: Kingdom Builder Generator Pack II