New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default PrC to progress Assassin casting

Hey guys.
    I have a character in my game playing the rise and fall of a Mystic Ranger to great effect - starting as a good Mystic Ranger, falling, becoming an Assassin and now being good again.
    Thing is, the player grew fond of Assassin spellcasting and wants to progress let. I let her keep her Assassin abilities even after changing alignment to good (since they are skill-based and I don't think you would 'forget' them simply because you are a better person), but I won't allow her to get more levels as an assassin.
    My question is which PrC you guys suggest that is easy to qualify, progresses arcane spellcasting (+1 every two levels would be okay) and is somewhat robust (d8 hit dice would be better)?
    Character in question is a Human Mystic Ranger 5/Assassin 3; her level 9 feat slot is already compromised.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: PrC to progress Assassin casting

Unseen Seer maybe? It's a full-casting class, though it takes a penalty on non-divinations, and also advances sneak attack..

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Definitely Unseen Seer. Ties up two of his first level Assassin spells to the Divinations (they have precisely two, right?), but aside from that, qualifying should be trivial.
    Halfling healer avatar by Akrim.elf.

My sarcasm is never blue.

Personal stuff: The Diablo 2 game (DMing), BBCode syntax highlighter for KDE
    CharOp: Lists of Necessary Magic Items
    Homebrew: My proudest achievement, a translation of vancian spellcasting to psionic mechanics. Other brew can be found in my Homebrewer's Extended Signature.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The_Glyphstone View Post
    Unseen Seer maybe? It's a full-casting class, though it takes a penalty on non-divinations, and also advances sneak attack..
    It was my first thought. Low Hit Dice makes me wonder... Unseen Seer into Eldritch Knight would almost do it, except Mystic Rangers are not proficient with all martial weapons. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Let's see:

Abjurant Champion
    Daggerspell Mage(Assuming certain feats)
    Arcane Trickster(Assuming certain skills)
    Sacred Exorcist(Assuming a certain spell)

But really, with a build mostly set into stone, we'd need a better idea of the build, including feats and skills.
    I started my first campaign around a campfire, having pancakes. They were blueberry.
    My homebrew(updated 6/17):

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Me and Draz came up with the idea of progressing Assassin with Bladesinger. Bladesinger is normally a trashy PrC, given that its half casting, but it is full BAB and gives you some kinda neat abilities, like swiftcasting a spell of 2nd or 4th level. It would be better if it was more than once per day, but thats easy to houserule. Afterall, it was published in Complete Warrior, the first of the Complete series. They buffed Hexblade after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by true_shinken View Post
    Hey guys.
    I have a character in my game playing the rise and fall of a Mystic Ranger to great effect - starting as a good Mystic Ranger, falling, becoming an Assassin and now being good again.
    Thing is, the player grew fond of Assassin spellcasting and wants to progress let. I let her keep her Assassin abilities even after changing alignment to good (since they are skill-based and I don't think you would 'forget' them simply because you are a better person), but I won't allow her to get more levels as an assassin.
    My question is which PrC you guys suggest that is easy to qualify, progresses arcane spellcasting (+1 every two levels would be okay) and is somewhat robust (d8 hit dice would be better)?
    Character in question is a Human Mystic Ranger 5/Assassin 3; her level 9 feat slot is already compromised.
    Arcane Trickster fits everything but HD.
    Jade Pheonix Mage has D6. You'll need to either take a ToB class or take 2 feats (Martial study and Stance).
    Master of Masks is 1/2 progression w/ D6.
    Sand Shaper w/ D6 (8/10 progression).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'd do Unseen Seer with interspersed Abjurant Champion levels.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose87 View Post
    I'd do Unseen Seer with interspersed Abjurant Champion levels.
    That would be awesome, except asassins don't get shield, deflect or the other Abjurat Champion goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Godskook View Post
    Let's see:

Abjurant Champion
    Daggerspell Mage(Assuming certain feats)
    Arcane Trickster(Assuming certain skills)
    Sacred Exorcist(Assuming a certain spell)

But really, with a build mostly set into stone, we'd need a better idea of the build, including feats and skills.
    I like the idea of Daggerspell Mage! The character actually uses short swords, but I like the idea enough to bend the rules a little to make it work. Only feat missing is Weapon Focus...

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Arcane Trickster fits everything but HD.
    Jade Pheonix Mage has D6. You'll need to either take a ToB class or take 2 feats (Martial study and Stance).
    Master of Masks is 1/2 progression w/ D6.
    Sand Shaper w/ D6 (8/10 progression).
    Master of Masks has poor base attack, Sand Shaper is very weird for a character from her region (kinda norse). I like the idea of Jade Phoenix Mage, though! The whole reincarnation thing fits like a glove on the concept of the character's guild.
    I'll show the player both the Daggerspell Mage and the Jade Phoenix Mage and see what she thinks about it. Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by true_shinken; 2010-04-13 at 08:34 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

That would be awesome, except asassins don't get shield, deflect or the other Abjurat Champion goodies.

I like the idea of Daggerspell Mage! The character actually uses short swords, but I like the idea enough to bend the rules a little to make it work. Only feat missing is Weapon Focus...

Master of Masks has poor base attack, Sand Shaper is very weird for a character from her region (kinda norse). I like the idea of Jade Phoenix Mage, though! The whole reincarnation thing fits like a glove on the concept of the character's guild.
    I'll show the player both the Daggerspell Mage and the Jade Phoenix Mage and see what she thinks about it. Thanks a lot!
    There's also Mystic Theurge technically - it's not robust in any way, but it'll progress her Ranger casting and her Assassin casting at the same time...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

With Daggerspell Mage you may want to find a way to add some touch spells that deal damage to his Assassin casting so he can use the features of the Daggerspell class. It's probably a good choice though, and you can probably handwave Weapon Focus (or maybe even give it to him free since it doesn't do too much).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Even so, Abjurant Champion gets you full BaB, d10 HD and 5/5 spellscasting. It's pretty solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Ring of Evasion means never playing a monk with monk levels again. There is just no reason to dip that stuff. I know we're all about using every part of the buffalo here, but can we just admit that it's inedible?

13. - Top - End - #13

Nar-Demonbinder (requires 4th level summoning spells) for 8th level spells.