New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Mad Monk, Durzagon.

Ello forums! First time posting on this forum, so please be gentle.

ANYWAYS my new dm is wanting to run a campaign with characters ranging from +0 la to +1 la. I had an idea for a monk character and he seemed to like it, but I thought id run it by you folks and see what you thought.

My idea is to make a mad monk that searches for enlightenment through more infernal sources than most monks seem to. So far the only real ideas I have hammered out are that he is a Durzagon with infernal runes tatooed in bands around various parts of his body and he keeps a belt with various things like thunderstones and acid.

Problem is there are not playable stats for a durzagon and if they were I doubt they would be la0 or la+1, but my dm said that because he liked my idea he would work with me on this.

My original idea was either to play it using just duergar stats or tiefling stats and leave the rest to fluff, any opinions?

(I know duergar have fairly weak stats but the -4 cha doesnt really hurt a monk, and im really more into roleplaying than powergaming)

Any ideas or opinions are welcome, even if its just suggestions on how I can add to the concept.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Mad Monk, Durzagon.

Enlightenment through infernal sources... have you considered the Warlock class?
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

I have, but it just does not feel right. Ive always liked the idea of being unarmored and unarmed. I have this image in my head of a durzagon meditating peacefully and then just going berserk. In a bruce lee way, not a barbarian way. Im pretty set on monk.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I'd suggest 1 lv of Warblade: Punishing Stance is very berserk-like (-2 AC, but +1d6 damage).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyPsion View Post
    Ive always liked the idea of being unarmored and unarmed.
    Warlocks are unarmed and usually unarmored. Anyway, they're more of a "hadoken" kind of monk, which may or may not be what you want.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Durzagon is statted in MM2, but it is a hefty ECL8, unfortunately.

Fiend folio has a dwarf-tiefling variant that is LA+1. Might be relevant.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Warlock/Monk/Enlightened Fist is what you need... It even has a class with enlightened in it's name.
    Awesome Bleachatar by Terry576.

Previous Awesome Avvies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Levethix the Dray Arcane Swordsage from the harsh world of Dark Sun.

Fallout bloody mess avatar by C-Lam.

My Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Ursa Warrior PrC
    More to come... I hope.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

There is an interesting and not-bad PrC called Runescarred Berserker. It will require you to not be a monk, but that's like saying that having friends will require having fun with them.
    My preferred entry would be a totem barbarian using complete champion substitution levels. The one that gives pounce is MMmmm MMMm good.

Alternatively, someone will be happy to tell you about tashalatoran, and psionics is just one small reflavor away from an internalized Gift From Below.

I know that RP > Powergaming, but mechanics are just mechanics. Fluff is what you make it.
    Last edited by Doc Roc; 2010-04-14 at 07:57 AM.
    Lagren: I took Livers Need Not Apply, only reflavoured.
    DocRoc: to?
    Lagren: So whenever Harry wisecracks, he regains HP.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by CrankyPsion View Post
    I have, but it just does not feel right. Ive always liked the idea of being unarmored and unarmed. I have this image in my head of a durzagon meditating peacefully and then just going berserk. In a bruce lee way, not a barbarian way. Im pretty set on monk.
    Refluff EB to a Hadoken. Done.