New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

Default Pokémon hard mode - Leaf Green edition

Alright, the latest hard mode LP just ended an awesome run, and it made me want to start my own. So here we go:

Standard Nuzlocke rules apply:
    * If a Pokemon faints, it gets released. No exceptions.
    * Only the first Pokemon encountered in any area can be caught.
    * Every Pokemon is given a nickname. Every loss is felt deeply.

And a couple of looser rules to keep myself from taking the ultra-safe route at every turn:
    * No excessive use of Pokemon Centers.
    * No excessive level grinding. Strategy has to be key.

With that said, let's do this!

Spoiler
    Show
    (Sorry about the large images. Consider this our very special first episode extravaganza.)

Ah, good old Professor Oak. Tell me what I need to know, professor.

And that's not disturbing at ALL, right?

Tempting as it is to name this guy D-Bag or something similiar, he'll always be Gary to me.

Alright, I've got a gender, I've got a name, I've got a rival. Time to hit the road and catch me some Pokemon!

Well, mom wants me to go talk to Professor Oak, but I think I'll just go ahead and see what's in the tall grass first...

Oh right. I was supposed to search for the old geezer and THEN walk into the grass when I gave up. Guess I skipped right to the good stuff.

Alright, time to make some critters fight for my amusement!

Now, time for the decision that will shape my whole adventure. I choose... Um...

Well, it only seems appropriate that I don't get to decide my own starter either, so I'll let you guys decide. It's the classic starters, of course, so we've got Bulbasaur, Squirtle, or Charmander.

So cast your vote. And if you have a suggestion for a nickname as well, let's hear it.
    Check out The Adventures of The Duck Avenger - Because you've always wanted to see Donald Duck battle hordes of invading aliens, mad scientists, and time pirates.

(While dressed as a superhero.)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon hard mode - Leaf Green edition

Sounds interesting but... hard mode again?

I hope there are more variations of Pokemon playing than that one challenge
    XBL & Steam ID: xp194

Ninja-Jedi Avatar by Deuxhero. Thanks!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RogueGuy

Charmander. Charizard is awesome.

Call him Torch.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

I recommend Squirtle, name of Shellshock. Should give you the most balanced shot at taking on both the gyms and the rockets with decent type advantage.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Squirtle. Aqua.

I'm wondering what the story's hook is, at the moment: why read this as opposed to the other pokemon-based LPs?

edit: I'm not discounting it or trying to be discouring here. The market is saturated so an LPer looking to do this has to find their own spin, is all. I'm looking forward to seeing if this story has a spin, and what it is.
    Last edited by Deme; 2010-06-18 at 10:46 AM.
    LPs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Moemon Leafgreen (Complete)
    Long Live the Queen (Complete)
    Harvest Moon 64 (Complete)

Rune Factory 3 (Ongoing)
    Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Ongoing)

Azure Dreams (On Hiatus)

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    I... wow. I feel like I'm in the presence of royalty. The LP Goddess herself has graced this thread with her presence. I just... what...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

frown Re: Pokémon hard mode - Leaf Green edition

Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    I'm wondering what the story's hook is, at the moment: why read this as opposed to the other pokemon-based LPs?

edit: I'm not discounting it or trying to be discouring here. The market is saturated so an LPer looking to do this has to find their own spin, is all. I'm looking forward to seeing if this story has a spin, and what it is.
    Well, my fist instinct was to shy away a bit from the roleplaying part of it - so instead of making major character reinterpretations and lots of alternate dialogue, I'd focus more on what it actually feels like as a gamer.
    In my experience, you don't need to pretend to be some other character to feel the attachment to your Pokémon in these kinds of challenges. So hopefully that would shine through.

Of course, it could be you're right, and I should try to think about what I can do to make it more unique. I suppose I can think that over while the starter is being decided.

(Not feeling discouraged, by the way. I'm completely new at this, so any advice is appreciated.)

Quote Originally Posted by xp194
    I hope there are more variations of Pokemon playing than that one challenge
    There are. It's just that this one is so dramatic and emotionally draining that it attracts a lot of people.
    Check out The Adventures of The Duck Avenger - Because you've always wanted to see Donald Duck battle hordes of invading aliens, mad scientists, and time pirates.

7. - Top - End - #7

Wohoo, a new hard mode LP :D

I vote for...charmander! Name him Fury!
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

8. - Top - End - #8

Another vote for Charmander, and I support naming she/he/it Torch.
    Oz Bezarius avatar by Kwarkpudding.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Devil

With 3 votes for Charmander, I'm gonna go ahead and name him the victor before it turns into another draw.

Thanks for rocking the vote, people. I'm gonna get started on the first real chapter and report back when I've got it ready.