Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2338394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1475
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

@ Cheesegear

Good advice. Soon as I get a drop pod I'll be sure to test out your recommendation, cause that's some solid advice.

I still stand by my Assault Scouts though. They make a good choke-point unit (having held up my friends Genestealers for 3 turns/rounds).

Quote Originally Posted by DranWork View Post
    Na hes not, hes just got horrid luck. For example he took 2 squads of lootas in one of our games, on all of his d3 rolls he got 1's or 2's (thus one shot) for 5 turns. His shoota boys are crazy yes, mobs of 20ish (battle wagon sized mobs) but he has no luck with rolling and only manages to hit around 6 shots a turn and wound with 2 or 3 shots. Or the time he took a looted wagon with the battle cannon thing and scattered into his mob of 20 boys that just disembarked and ended up killing 17 of them. Or when his shock attack gun (i think.. that random weapon that meks can take) blew up on the first turn and wiped out a whole squad of lootas and a truk filled with boys. Hes a great player just his luck sucks and his dice hate him, where as my luck is okay and my dice enjoy being avarage.

Hes still in the testing stages of his army at the moment and im fully expecting to see kans in our next game. He just needs to forget his tactics when he was a marine player and focus on trying to think like an ork.
    Tell him to get some better dice. Seriously. Start off by abandoning any made by Games Workshop (I'm even planning on replacing my scatter die) and get some with crisper edges.

Although, really, this applies to everyone using those rounded monstrosities

What? I'm not allowed to appreciate good dice?
    *Splendid Goatatar by that cool kid Serpentine
    "Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world"

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

Right, so first of two games...

My List;
    Spoiler
    Show
    Librarian Ultionis - 140 Points
    Terminator Armour, Storm Shield
    Avenger, Null Zone

Sternguard (x5) - 190 Points
    x4 Combi-Meltas, Heavy Flamer
    + Drop Pod

Scouts (x10) - 150 Points
    Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher

Scouts (x10) - 150 Points
    Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher

Devastators (x5) - 150 Points
    x4 Missile Launchers

Thunderfire Cannon - 100 Points

Vindicator - 120 Points
    Dozer Blade

Total: 1000 points.

Game 1 vs. Eldar, Pitched Capture and Control
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Farseer
    Runes of Warding, Spirit Stones
    Doom, Guide

Howling Banshees (x6), Exarch with stuff
    Striking Scorpions (x6), Exarch with Scorpion's Claw and stuff
    Guardians (x10) with Scatter Laser
    Guardians (x10) with Scatter Laser
    Warp Spiders (x6), Exarch with stuff
    War Walkers (x2) with Scatter Laser and Bright Lance
    Fire Prism with stuff

So, straight off, it looked like trouble as we rolled really low for objectives, a total of 3. Due to the way I play, I gave my opponent the first turn, and he deployed an objective in his Deployment Zone, so, I put one in my DZ (Dragonball Z?), at the the top of a three storey building. So, even on the best of days, it would take my opponent a long time to reach the objective (read the rules for moving in ruins, page 83, they're a bastard). He then deployed the last objective back in his own DZ. Damn. My army is fairly static.
    I had to hope that he didn't have very many Troops units and that I could kill them all off. He didn't and I could.

Deployment was pretty standard. He put both of his Troops units onto the objectives, put his Howling Banshees behind some ruins and then deployed his War Walkers front-and-centre, as one unit. I asked him if he was sure he wanted to do that. He said 'yes'. I smiled. The Fire Prism went behind the War Walkers for a cover save. Again, front and centre.

As for myself, I Combat Squadded all my Scouts, and deployed 3 units on my own objective, and I left one for Infiltrating. The Thunderfire deployed in the building as well, and made the whole thing 3+ cover. The Vindicator started the game behind a wall and out of LoS, my opponent had the first turn, and Fire Prisms and Bright Lances are scary.
    Why would anyone want to deploy first?
    The Devastators deployed far back on the edge of the table. 48" range goes a long way.

I deployed my Scouts in a building on the right of the field. He chose to Outflank his Scorpions. Silly kid. He should've done that with his Walkers.

First turn went predictably, I took no casualties except for the Thunderfire. Dead in the first turn. Damn. Nothing much happened except that he put his Warp Spiders too close...

My turn. Drop Pod came down, and the Sternguard Melted the Fire Prism to slag. Despite the fact that the 'Seer had Runes of Warding, Ultionis let off an Avenger anyway and fried all the Banshees except the Exarch. The Farseer was still alive. The Vindicator came out from behind the wall, the expression on the Warp Spiders must've been something like "Oh shi-", which they never got to finish thinking because a Demolisher shell blew them away.

All three Scout units in the building unloaded rounds and Krak missiles into the War Walkers. I managed to Shake one and Immobilise the other. I then pointed out that because they were one unit, Immobilised = Destroyed. What? I asked him if he wanted to do that at the beginning of the game...He had a whole slot to spare...
    The fourth unit in the building couldn't really see anything, so took pot-shots at Guardians. Sniper Rifles allow saves.

So, I'd basically halved his army in the first turn. I still don't know why people think Assault is the name of the game?

Turn 2; There wasn't a whole lot to do at this point now that all his best stuff was dead and he didn't want to move Troops off the objective. The Scorpions came on and were seriously scaring the Scouts in the building in the middle-right building.

Farseer let off a Doom at the Sternguard. Ultionis was all like "How's about no? I've got a sweet hat. And hats in 40K mean business." The Farseer looked at the silly Space Marine, and let the Guardians have a Guide. And the Farseer was all like "Maybe you didn't see my sweet hat?", and Ultionis tried to use his hat-power, and failed.

The Guardians shot at Ultionis. And did nothing. 2+ Armour is for winners. And Ultionis never fails me.

Still, Doom was the one I was scared about and that didn't happen. That Banshee Exarch was looking at my Sternguard funny. And she and the Farseer jumped into Assault. The Banshee Exarch managed to do one wound. The other Sternguard all wailed on the Farseer. Unlike Imperial Psykers who are all bat* insane, Xenos Psykers are all wussies. The Farseer took two Wounds to Imperial Fists punching the crap out of him with their Fists of the Imperium.

My turn, the Vindicator shot at the lone War Walker, and turned it to goo. The Scouts in the right building shot at the Scorpions, taking one out, but not forcing them to ground. The fifteen Scouts in the building began picking off the guardians they could see, and Frag Missiles sending shrapnel flying everywhere. The Devastators shot off four Frag Missiles at once into Guardians.
    ...Let's just say that Guardians like Cover saves.

Ultionis moved into a good position and let off another Avenger killing a lot. The Farseer flashed his Runes of Warding. Silly xeno rocks won't stop Space Marines. And then Ultionis ran into Assault with Guardians. Because they tried to shoot him with a Scatter Laser. And that stuff tickles. Ultionis sent them packing, except he's got Terminator Armour and couldn't chase them down. Still, the Guardians were under half strength. They were gone.

His turn 3, the Guardians kept running, the other Guardians stayed on their objective and tried to shoot Ultonius. He took a wound. The Scorpions jumped into the ruins and killed all the Scouts, then consolidated out of LoS from the other Scouts and Devastators.

The Exarch killed two Sternguard, with two Sternguard left, and four attacks, the Exarch and the Farseer both got killed. And the Sternguard moved towards the other Guardians on the far side of the field.

My turn, Ultonius laughed as there was no-one left on the board with a sweet hat except for himself, and let off another Avenger and killed the last 2 Guardians.

The Sternguard put Dragonfire Bolts into the other squad of Guardians. Killing three. Rifles and lots of Frag Missiles were also sent that way. The second squad of Guardians made a runner (they were also Pinned).

His turn 4, the Guardians didn't rally and ran off the table. The Scorpions ran towards the huge building with fifteen scouts in it. And then Fleeted out of LoS.

Due to terrible angles, only the bottom-level squad of Scouts could see the Scorpions. Scoring four casualties with Rifles, and the Krak Missile rolling a '1' to wound.
    The Demolisher shell from the Vindicator flew wide by 7". Double-

His turn 5. He jumped into the building with his Scorpions, killing four. The Scout Sergeant, proved why he was Sergeant and killed two Scorpions all on his own with the butt of his Rifle. Pfft. Xenos can't even take a rifle-whip to the face. The Exarch with Scorpion Claw never even got his attacks.

TL;DR/Result
    Spoiler
    Show
    1-0 Victory to me. Also, Tabling.
    He killed 3 Sternguard, the Thunderfire Cannon and 9 Scouts. ~330 points. 33%.

But, really, I didn't really feel good about that Victory, I felt his list was rather weak (and it was), and his tactics were pretty terrible. He Outflanked his Scorpions and deployed his War Walkers normally, in a group. Which is pretty much the exact opposite of what you want to do. If it were me, I would have deployed my Scorpions in the middle building (thus denying my own Infiltrators to sit there) for a 2nd Turn Assault and complete raping of all inside the three storey building.

...And running his Warp Spiders right in front of my Vindicator? Who does that?

For 60 Points less, I feel that Librarian Ultionis is a very suitable replacement for Lysander.

The Thunderfire Cannon didn't do much except make my opponent crap his pants and FIRE EVERYTHING! at it. Which, I suppose is good enough.

I'll write the second battle I had yesterday, later today. For now, I've written too much.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-06-17 at 12:22 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Farseer let off a Doom at the Sternguard. Ultionis was all like "How's about no? I've got a sweet hat. And hats in 40K mean business." The Farseer looked at the silly Space Marine, and let the Guardians have a Guide. And the Farseer was all like "Maybe you didn't see my sweet hat?", and Ultionis tried to use his hat-power, and failed.
    This was excellent.
    ithilanor on Steam.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    This was excellent.
    I could've made that so much better if the 'Seer had Mind War.
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

I quite enjoyed that After Action Report. It was both informative and entertaining.
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Wizard: Ug. God. Allright. What do you want us to do?
    Me: Burn for me.
    Wizard: ...what?
    Me: I activate the fire ability. "BURN FOR ME!!!!!!"
    Lycanthrope avatar by me!

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Titan in the Playground

Second game. Same list.

Spearhead Annhilation vs. Tyranids
    Spoiler
    Show
    So, after watching me wipe the floor against Eldar (the link), one of the watchers of the game decided that my list was good and that he wanted to play against it. I asked him what he played, and he said Tyranids. As some of you know - because I freely admit it - my list has seriously problems against Tyranids and Chaos Marines (being tournament heavy-hitters, this is why I'll never be top-100 in Australia with my current list, well, that and I don't paint). Well, anyway, given that the guy had obviously seen my army, I believe that it's Bad Form if you go changing it when someone has challenged it...

His list.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Swarmlord - 280 Points

Zoanthropes (x2) - 170 Points
    + Mycetic Spore: Stinger Salvo

Ymgarl Genestealers (x10) - 230 Points

Hormagaunts (x20) - 160 Points
    Adrenal Glands

Hormagaunts (x20) - 160 Points
    Adrenal Glands

Total: 1000 Points

...I mean, really. I know some of you think that I'm a bit too hardcore for a non-40K dominated forum (like B&C, 'Seer, BoLS or Dakka), but, c'mon. This is the kind of crap I have to deal with in a casual game. Like I said, I've got problems vs. Tyranids to begin with...FML.
    It's quite obvious why he had challenged me.

Anyway, we rolled for Mission and Deployment. Annhilation. Great. It didn't help that I had more units than he did - and he was playing Tyranids. Anyway, at least we rolled Spearhead, and I got first. I chose the corner that gave him the least amount of cover on the opposite side. I deployed my Vindicator, Devs and Thunderfire as per usual. Getting myself some 3+ save ruins.

He put his stuff on the board. I thought he was playing weird when even after Infiltrators, I had more things on the board than he did (SL, Hormagaunts, that's it). He didn't even have swarms of Genestealers. I assumed that meant Lictors or Spores. Either way I was boned. Swarmlord was deployed behind the only LoS blocker available, and Hormagaunts were pushing his DZ.

So, I went first, because I want as many rounds of shooting before the 'Nids close for Assault. Drop Pod came down. Everything unloaded onto one unit of Hormagaunts. I killed 17 of them. Which still isn't even a Kill Point, and Swamlord making them Fearless...

Sternguard put their Meltas into him (I now realise that I should've used Rapid Fire Hellfire Rounds), and, along with Sniper Fire, I got Swarmlord down to two wounds on the first turn. I also tagged him with the Heavy Flamer, which didn't do much, but, the template covered some nearby Hormagaunts, which is better than nothing.

Ultionis put an Avenger out, rolling a 10 on 3d6. It didn't do a whole lot.

On his turn, he ran the second squad of Hormagaunts into my Scouts that had Infiltrated. The squad of 3 Assaulted Ultionis. And Swarmlord rushed the Sternguard.

Swarmlord let out a Leech Essence. Blue Swarmlord needs Food...Badly!
    Ultionis pointed to his hat.
    Swarmlord used Paroxysm on the Sternguard.
    "Hat."
    Swarmlord gave Preferred Enemy to the Hormagaunts
    "H-"
    "Mwah ha ha...It's an ability. Not a psychic power." said the Swarmlord.
    "My hat! My hat does nothing!"

2+ Armour saved Ultionis once . He dealt out 2 Wounds and another 'Fearless wound'. Victory.

Swarmlord killed 4 Sternguard with ease. I tried to Combat Tactics out, but Swarmlord caught me, and I made my armour saves against the 'Fearless Wounds'. Yeah. All 4. Damn it.

On my turn 2, Ultionis charged the Swarmlord.
    "Bring it." he said. The lone Sternguard died a horrible, horrible death. Where Swamlord only directed one attack against Ultionis. Ultionus saved on a 3+...Twice. Damn Swarmlord. With 6s To Wound, Ultionis failed as I expected him to. But, assaulting Swarmlord is better than being assaulted by Swarmlord. Besides, Ultionis was down to 1 wound anyway. Instant Death wasn't too bad of an option.

The second squad of Hormagaunts got cover saves all 'round and barely took any casualties.

His turn 2. Zoanthropes came down right in front of my Devastators and blew my Vindicator away. Ultionis was too far away to use his Hat-Power. Ymgarl Genestealers came up in the ruins right next to my Thunderfire Cannon and gobbled that up in three seconds.

His turn. Zoanthropes blasted the Devastators, failing one Psychic Power and failing to hit with the second. The Mycetic Spore killed two Devastators. The Ymgarl 'stealers mauled my squad of Scouts. I Combat Tactics'd out with 2 Scouts left.

...Swarmlord can't hit what Swarmlord can't see. Swarmlord missed with 2 attacks, and only wounded once. Ultionis saved again, twice.
    ...Then, Ultionis stung like a bee. Rolled a 6 To Wound. Hell. Yes. Swarmlord failed his Invulnerable. Hell. Yes.

...I started to pick up my 3d6 to roll for Force Weapon time, and I dropped a dice, which came up a 6. "That counts!" What did I expect from a guy who played this list in a 1000 points?
    My 2nd dice came up a 1...My 3rd dice came up a 1...
    That's a pass. My opponent scoured the rulebook saying that my power didn't work if I took a Perils attack and that I had died from it.

I would have agreed with him. It made sense. Except he made the mistake of looking it up...
    "Note that a psyker who rolls double 1 will still use his power even if he is wounded or killed as a result." Page 50.
    Rules Lawyers are awesome sometimes.

"Nnngg..." Ultionis ripped a hole open in the Warp as the Swarmlord scratched at his mind, trying to block his access to the Warp.
    "Please." Ultionis gave Swarmlord a dead look. "You don't even have a hat. If I die, I'm definitely taking you with me...For the glory of Him, and Him-on-Earth." and that was the last Ultionis said as he took both the Swarmlord and himself into the Warp.

Ho. Ly. Crap. I have never been so proud of Ultionis in my entire life. That's how Imperial Fists roll. Dorn style. Rumble, boy. Rumble!

Captain Falcon of the Hawk Lords Chapter may have defeated three Avatars in single combat. But, Librarian Ultionis took out a Swarmlord. F*. Yes.

Turn 3. My Devastators wasted the Mycetic Spore, as it was an easier KP than the Zoanthropes. My Infiltrating Scout squad took more shots at the Hormagaunts. Killing some. They then passed their Pinning check on Ld 6. Get real.

His turn, Zoanthopes failed again. Ymgarl 'Stealers jumped onto the last 2 Scouts. Did they even have a chance?
    The squad of Hormagaunts, ~10 at this stage jumped into the full squad of Scouts. They didn't have Frag Grenades, so I took out a few. But, with Furious Charge and a boatload of re-rollable attacks the Scouts didn't fare very well. I tried to Combat Tactics out. But, Hormagaunts caught me and I took more wounds.

Turn 4. My Devastators failed against the Zoanthropes. Rolling two 1s and a 2 To Wound. Ah well, at least it killed one of them.

Scouts got mauled by Hormagaunts again.

His turn, Ymgral 'Stealers had to climb down the building (which takes forever), Zoanthrope Peril'd itself.

My turn 5, I unloaded Frag Missiles into the Hormagaunts on the far side of the table. Hooray! Kill point.

His turn 5. 'Stealers still trying to get out of the building. Zoanthope missed with his attack.

End.

TL;DR/Result
    Spoiler
    Show
    4-6. Minor Loss to me.
    So lucky the game ended there. And that Zoanthropes fail. Otherwise that would have been a Tableing.

I ended the game with 3 Devastators and a Drop Pod. He had a Zoanthrope and 10 Ymgarl 'Stealers left. I still don't know why he left the Drop Pod. Those things are easy KPs.

I thought it was actually a very good game. Despite the fact that I shouldn't have to deal with that kind of list in 1000 points. 2 Special Units? Really?
    When I got home, I found out that Ymgarl 'Stealers aren't even Unique. You can have as many as you want.

I did better than I expected. Tyranids are scary.
    I <3 Ultionis. I knew I named him that for a reason. And not just because of his psychic powers.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-06-17 at 02:50 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Dang! That was a real nail-biter, dude!

When did Ultionis replace Captain Falcon? I don't recall when you brought him out...

So this guy basically picked a fight with your army just to feel better about himself by grinding it into dust? At least you kept him on his toes, and didn't let him enjoy a Flawless Victory.

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Did he then snap his fingers? I do hope so, I now have the image of an Eldar Farseer commanding the battle with ATTITUDE

The Scorpions ran towards the huge building with fifteen scouts in it. And then Fleeted out of LoS.
    How strange, considering that Scorpions aren't Fleet of Foot. To my knowledge, and as a general rule of thumb for other Players, there is nothing in the game with a save better than 4+ that is also Fleet.

I ended the game with 3 Devastators and a Drop Pod. He had a Zoanthrope and 10 Ymgarl 'Stealers left. I still don't know why he left the Drop Pod. Those things are easy KPs.
    It's strangely easy to forget that they ARE units, I think. After the second turn they tend to just become scenery, unlike Rhinos and other light vehicles that move around and get themselves noticed. Definitely something worth remembering, for Space Marine players and their opponents alike.

Well played Cheesegear, and amusing to read as always

So this guy basically picked a fight with your army just to feel better about himself by grinding it into dust? At least you kept him on his toes, and didn't let him enjoy a Flawless Victory.
    That's exactly the same sort of impression that I got, too - even before he was rules lawyering I knew it would happen eventually. Too bad he didn't remember the Golden Rule of Psychic Powers - so long as you roll UNDER your Leadership the Power goes off, regardless of what else happens.
    Then again, I'm suspicious of ANYONE who watches a Crushing Victory and then challenges the winner with a smirk on their face. I would have had absolutely no compunction about changing my list in small, but significant ways if I hadn't also seen the opponent's army in action as he had mine - Cheesegear is right that it's good manners not to try and 'trick' your opponent (it's also pointless, as they're allowed to read your Army List anyway), but this guy seems to have been running a hustle from the very beginning.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2010-06-17 at 03:40 AM.
    You don't know what it was like.
    You weren't there.
    You never fought in the Console Wars.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Titan in the Playground

MindFlayer

Are you allowed to bring extra models for a 2nd list? Or is whatever you bring and have as your 1st list what you've got to go through the Tourney with?

I reeeeally need to work on my models. But its just such a daunting task, all those Orks... I don't even know where to start - half my army is still on the sprue!

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Dwarf in the Playground

Nitpik
    How strange, considering that Scorpions aren't Fleet of Foot. To my knowledge, and as a general rule of thumb for other Players, there is nothing in the game with a save better than 4+ that is also Fleet.
    Capt Tycho DC has fleet and a 2+/4++ just sayin...

Nice games tho cheese!

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

Ah yes, Death Company Tycho does indeed have Fleet of Foot. That's only one Special Character though, and only one 'half' of him at that, so as generalisations go I'm not doing too badly (especially since I don't own that Codex)

I reeeeally need to work on my models. But its just such a daunting task, all those Orks... I don't even know where to start - half my army is still on the sprue!
    Wraith's Handy-Dandy Guide to Painting and Assembling an Army
    Spoiler
    Show

"1: It's not how big it is, it's how you use it."
    First off, don't buy your entire 2000 points all at once. Not only is this sensible in practical terms (no point in spending $500 on something that you play a few times and decide you don't like very much, is there?) but it's altogether easier to put together, too.
    I have my own private room set aside for my hobbies, and I *still* trip over the piles of stuff that I'm working on. Less clutter makes it easier to work on your current project, and the less stuff you have that you want to paint, the easier it'll be to get around to the stuff you need to paint.

1a: "Whadda you mean, 'you didn't read rule #1?' ya bozo!?"
    Oh well. No worries. It happens to the best of us. When I finish painting my Blood Bowl Teams (plural) and my 2500 point Fantasy Army (all purchased circa. 2003....) maybe then I'll criticise you for making the same mistake.

In this case, pick out a few boxes of stuff - a HQ, 2 Troops and maybe a couple of transports or Heavy - and stuff the rest under the bed. Or in a cupboard, or the attic, or something. Get them out of sight, so that you don't have to worry about them, and then forget about them until later. Congratulations - you now only have a 500 points army to paint. Doesn't that feel much better?

2: "Know Your Limits"
    I find that variety helps you refrain from insanity. Take one Squad and put it together - ignore all the rest for now. Do as much painting of them as you like until you find your attention starting to flag, and then glue up something else, like a vehicle or character.

A change is as good as a rest, and after losing a few more fingerprints to the superglue (if you're anything like me, at least...) you'll feel better about painting again.
    One squad and one vehicle on the go at a time, so you're always working on SOMETHING but never have an enormous pile of stuff that you're trying to grind your way through. Nothing is more demoralising to a painter than seeing a box full of stuff that you have to grind your way through, but if you can trick yourself into thinking of it as several different, smaller tasks - one squad to assemble, one to spray, one to basecoat, another to varnish - you'll find yourself appreciating the little achievements every so often.

Remember also: It's not a race to the finish. The only people who paint armies to deadlines are the guys who try to make a living off'f doing it on other peoples' behalf. We're doing this for a hobby - we're trying to kill as much time as we can doing something that we enjoy, not to blitz through it as fast as possible and into the luke-warm, languid pools of boredom awaiting on the other side!

3: "You want that Super-Powered Unit of Game-Destroying Destrucity? Earn it, maggot!"
    If nothing else, don't make the mistake that I usually do of assembling and painting all your favourite stuff first.
    Yes, that Warlord and his enormous converted Battlewagon look fantastic, but now you have nothing to look forward to until you've finished those 60 near-identical Boyz, AND you can't use them to play smaller games while the rest of your army is still on the go.
    Squad by squad, vehicle by vehicle, you'll at least have a legal 500 (or whatever) points army, which will give you something to enjoy while you're taking a break from painting. Treat your big shiny Tanks/Monstrous Creatures/Whatever as a reward for hammering out the necessary Core units of your army - not only will it give you something to focus on while weathering the tedium of 50 Genestealers, but when you get to paint something you really want to paint it'll help reinvigorate your enthusiasm and give you a boost for moving on to the next stage.

4: "No matter what, you're only human."
    The rest is just discipline and patience. It's an unfortunate, but true, fact that some people don't have the patience or time to build up a 40k army.

That's okay. Really, it is.
    Go back to #2 and decide from the beginning if you want a perfect, elaborate and highly professional looking army, or if you'd rather just throw stuff together quickly and spend the time you saved playing the game. Plan your army and buy accordingly, or you'll only find yourself demoralised if you line up your finished squads and see them get messier and messier as your interest wanes.

At the end of the day, we're just playing with toy soldiers. If you aren't enjoying it, then you don't have to do it.

5: "No matter how bad you have it, someone else has it worse. Be proud that you're not them."
    Every game store has 'That Guy'.

No, not the Rules Lawyer, or the Power Gamer. Though they're usually there too (and in my experience are often the same person) I'm talking about The Guy who turns up to every game with a box full of mangled plastic where his army should be.
    I'm sure you know him. He's had it for years, but the most he's done is badly spray his stuff in (usually different) undercoats. His poor, long-suffering troops are woefully unarmed, in terms of both WYSIWYG weaponry and actual limbs. Some of them are just a pair of legs glued lopsidedly to an old base. Some of them are just an old base - having the word 'Vet. Sjt.' [sic] scrawled onto it in Sharpie is optional.

And all he does is complain that he has so much to do that none of it ever gets done. Baw.

Don't be that guy.

Be proud of the fact that you're not him. Fair enough, at some point or another you're going to turn up to a game with The Black Darkeners Chapter of Space Marines - we all do. I've even been know to voluntarily take casualties as my newly-glued models melt into sad piles of limbs on the table and need rescuing before they completely dry like that.

And you know what? No one minds. So long as you have something to show off before the next game - something that you have achieved, something that brings you even a little bit closer to the ultimate goal of a finished, immaculate army - then you're already one step ahead of a reasonably large percentage of people who play the game.

And of course, as we all, the more paint you have on your army then the more likely you are to win games. Just ask any Ork Player you know and he'll tell you that the red ones are always preferable to grey, and any Ultramarines Player will be more than happy to point out how many different colours you'll find in the successor chapters to Robot Girlyman.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2010-06-17 at 06:02 AM.
    You weren't there.

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Titan in the Playground

When did Ultionis replace Captain Falcon? I don't recall when you brought him out...
    You might recall that at the end of my last tournament, I decided that Captain Falcon didn't really fit the theme of the list as he was the only one in the list on a Bike, and I wanted to swap him out for something else? Well, that 'something else' happened to be Lysander. Who I'm sure you know that I use.

Captain Falcon, Hawk Lords. Bikes and Land Speeders.
    Ultionis, Imperial Fists. Scouts and Heavy Support.
    He's what I use when I don't use Lysander. Because in casual games I don't like taking Uniques. Unlike certain Tyranid players who take Swarmlord and Ymgarl 'Stealers.

People who know my list/s said I should've taken Lysander and just smacked the crap out of Swarmlord.

For a while there I was using Gate-Vortex combo, and paying 190 points to do it. Then I realised I can put him in the Drop Pod, and Gate becomes worthless. Not to mention the three or four times he killed himself and the Sternguard with Vortex.
    I decided strapping a Heavy Flamer that kills Marines dead onto an IC was a good choice. And 're-roll your Invulnerables' isn't exactly a nice thing to do to your opponent's Hammernators or Zoanthropes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    I meant 'run'. Shush.

Too bad he didn't remember the Golden Rule of Psychic Powers - so long as you roll UNDER your Leadership the Power goes off, regardless of what else happens.
    "Hey, that's two 1s, you take a Perils of the Warp attack and die. Your power doesn't work."
    Me: "What? Really? Okay..."
    "Yes. Look, I'll show you...Wait..."

...And that's when I got happy.

And yes. I did forget (and so did he for this Zoanthropes) that Perils allows for Invulnerable saves.

Cheesegear is right that it's good manners not to try and 'trick' your opponent (it's also pointless, as they're allowed to read your Army List anyway), but this guy seems to have been running a hustle from the very beginning.
    I actually would have liked to use Captain Falcon's list. Twin-Linked Bolters and T5 against Hormagaunts is not nice. Land Speeders with Assault Cannons and Heavy Bolters would have turned Swarmlord to crap. Everything else has Melta weapons (because everything else is a Twin-Linked Bolter or Assault Cannon) etc. But, yeah...He challenged the Scouts. He's a big man.

Are you allowed to bring extra models for a 2nd list? Or is whatever you bring and have as your 1st list what you've got to go through the Tourney with?
    For a tourney, the list you give to the TO is the list you have for the entire thing. However, these were casual games, and I could have used whatever I had on me at the time (which was Captain Falcon and friends), but, yeah...The guy wanted to play my Scouts. I'm pretty sure everybody knows why by now.

On the plus side, he was boo'd quite a lot when people saw Swarmlord and asked how many points we were playing, and the answer was 1000 points.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-06-17 at 09:02 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ogre in the Playground

To my knowledge, and as a general rule of thumb for other Players, there is nothing in the game with a save better than 4+ that is also Fleet.
    Thunderwolf Cavalry and Mephiston come to mind right away. I don't know any others off the top of my head. At least in terms of things that are fleet have a 3+ or better.
    Last edited by Mr.Moron; 2010-06-17 at 05:39 AM.

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Ettin in the Playground

Ugh, I should have known that Mephiston would trip me up on that. He has everything else as well, after all, why not Fleet...?

Fine. Almost nothing - except the Sparkly Marines - with a save better than 4+ is Fleet. Happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    And yes. I did forget (and so did he) that Perils allows for Invulnerable saves.
    This rule is the only reason that my Farseer ever lived to the Third Turn.
    Some people would claim that it was 'a bad omen' or a 'tragic piece of misfortune' that the first dice I roll in the game saw my HQ blow his own head off to an Instant Death PotW roll - To me, it was 'Tuesday'....
    Last edited by Wraith; 2010-06-17 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Dear God, but my typing is appalling today.
    You weren't there.

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Titan in the Playground

Enjoy...Or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey!
    Do you want to feel SO VERY SHOOTY?
    Try Devastator Squads!
    Heavy Support Options for people who need GRATUITOUS AMOUNTS OF HEAVY WEAPONS!

With heavy weapons like MULTI MELTAS!
    F* your armour! It's like slapping an Eldar with a LIGHTNING CLAW!
    Sound the alarm, you're going to be doing UNCOMFORTABLE AMOUNTS OF UNSAVEABLE WOUNDS!

What's that? You want small blast markers? Well how about PLASMA CANNONS!
    Made with REAL 'Gets hot!' DISADVANTAGES!

SHOOTING!
    WAAAARGH!
    You'll be good at it!
    It's a Heavy Support choice of power!
    FIREPOWER!

These aren't your Tactical Marines!
    These are heavy weapon Marines!
    DEVASTATORS!

LASCANNONS!
    POWER!
    LASCANNONS!
    POWER!

Missile Marines Heavy Bolter Marines Multi Melta Marines Lascannon Marines Plasma Cannon Marines
    More Marines then YOUR FORCE ORGANIZATION CHART HAS ROOM FOR!

You'll be so shooty that Orks will be like
    'Oi! Dis gitz got too much Dakka!'
    And you'll be like 'F* you!' and hit them in the Front Armour with your KRAK MISSILE!

You'll have so much firepower
    LASCANNONS!
    WAAARGH!
    Just shooting ALL THE TIME!
    HQ Devastators Elite Devastators Troop Devastators Fast Attack Devastators Heavy Support Devastators with LASCANNONS!
    LASCANNONS!
    You'll have so many LASCA-
    400 LASCANNONS!

Give LASCANNONS to your Scouts and they'll be GOOD AT SHOOTING!
    Make your Scouts shoot ABNORMALLY WELL!
    They'll shoot as well as TAU!
    People will watch them shoot and think they're TAU!
    They'll fight as well as TAU!
    Against actual TAU!
    And it'll be a draw and they'll get assimilated for THE GREATER GOOD!

Hey! Go with a sure thing! Don't gamble on your 'Get's Hot!' rolls!
    OOOVVVEEER HEEEAAATEEED!

TRY DEVASTATORS!
    They Heavy Support choice that will make you
    WAAARGH!
    LASCANNON!
    WAAARGH!

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Enjoy...Or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey!
    Try Devastator Squads!

Sound the alarm, you're going to be doing UNCOMFORTABLE AMOUNTS OF UNSAVEABLE WOUNDS!

SHOOTING!
    WAAAARGH!
    You'll be good at it!
    FIREPOWER!

DEVASTATORS!

LASCANNONS!
    POWER!
    LASCANNONS!
    POWER!

Missile Marines Heavy Bolter Marines Multi Melta Marines Lascannon Marines Plasma Cannon Marines

And you'll be like 'F* you!' and hit them in the Front Armour with your KRAK MISSILE!

LASCANNONS!
    WAAARGH!
    HQ Devastators Elite Devastators Troop Devastators Fast Attack Devastators Heavy Support Devastators with LASCANNONS!
    LASCANNONS!
    400 LASCANNONS!

Against actual TAU!

OOOVVVEEER HEEEAAATEEED!

TRY DEVASTATORS!
    WAAARGH!
    LASCANNON!
    WAAARGH!
    WOW, just wow.
    Your Personal Undead

Other Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

by dr. bathand, Kpenguin and Fay Graydon

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    -C. S. Lewis

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Titan in the Playground

Some people would claim that it was 'a bad omen' or a 'tragic piece of misfortune' that the first dice I roll in the game saw my HQ blow his own head off to an Instant Death PotW roll - To me, it was 'Tuesday'....
    Wow, that is some rare kind of bad luck, to start with there you have to actualy roll a peril, thats what 2 out of 36?
    Then you have to blow your ghosthelm avoidance of 3+, and your rune armor save of 4+.

You remind me of the guy i started playing warhammer fantasy with, in our first battle ever, in the first round, he managet to blow up all his cannons and the steam tank.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thankfully, your cranium doesn't explode anymore in 5th edition. You just take a wound, not a S6 hit.

Anywho, I'm considering adding some more bulk to my Eldar army since I realized that my Space Marines/Blood Angels army is a good 500+ points larger.

I have no real dedicated assault units, the closest thing I have would be a Jetbike Seer Council and an Autarch/Warp Spider Squad (Autarch/Exarch have power weapons). I'm thinking either Harlequins or Scorpions, since my budget is limited and I don't want to have to spend money on a Wave Serpent in order to make Banshees viable.

Also, since I only have three troop choices, I was thinking about adding another squad of Guardians for more bodies. My playstyle tends to emphasize controlling 1 objective and then using the fast elements (tanks, vypers, warp spiders, etc) in the army to contest to rest of them.

If I could afford it, I'd get a Forgeworld Avatar. Because pewter is terrible and I want people to stare at my Bloody Handed God of War and tremble.

19. - Top - End - #1429

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Also, since I only have three troop choices, I was thinking about adding another squad of Guardians for more bodies. My playstyle tends to emphasize controlling 1 objective and then using the fast elements (tanks, vypers, warp spiders, etc) in the army to contest to rest of them.

If I could afford it, I'd get a Forgeworld Avatar. Because pewter is terrible and I want people to stare at my Bloody Handed God of War and tremble.
    If you can afford it, dire avengers, the lack of weapon platform is made up for with bladestorm, which will either clean up anything trying to get onto your objective, or clean up anything you want to take off of others, aslong as the dice gods don't completely shun you.

And yes, I think the Forgeworld Avatar with Spear is super smexy. I wish I could get my hands on one too.
    Last edited by One Step Two; 2010-06-17 at 08:29 AM.
    Avalanche in Hell of the Improbability Drive Fan Club

Spoiler: Current Games
    Show
    Running - Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Pack of the Raging Bear
    Ama'allien is now a 21st level Wizard in Dragonlance, and has been asked very politely by Lunitari to keep a low profile.

20. - Top - End - #1430

Enjoy...Or not.

Spoiler
    Show
    Hey!
    Try Devastator Squads!

SHOOTING!
    WAAAARGH!
    You'll be good at it!
    FIREPOWER!

DEVASTATORS!

LASCANNONS!
    POWER!
    LASCANNONS!
    POWER!

LASCANNONS!
    WAAARGH!
    LASCANNONS!
    400 LASCANNONS!

Against actual TAU!

OOOVVVEEER HEEEAAATEEED!

TRY DEVASTATORS!
    WAAARGH!
    LASCANNON!
    WAAARGH!
    Brilliant. I saw a great one for chainfists once, but can't find it. Google has failed me...

Great battle reports by the way. It can sometimes be hard to make them entertaining to read without becoming silly, but you pulled it off nicely. Well done.
    Tactics wise, I wish I have seen the terrain, as it sounds like lining up along the back of deployment and letting 36" rifles and 48" missiles do the talking might have been fun.
    Sure LoS was blocked though, so well done on doing as well as you did.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Behold Nosferatu, the Plant Vampire:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

Referring to Pop Yule Ashun:
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberRebirth View Post
    evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by evisiron View Post
    Great battle reports by the way. It can sometimes be hard to make them entertaining to read without becoming silly, but you pulled it off nicely. Well done.
    It's how I write all my Battle Reports. I'm glad I have a style that people like.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Ogre in the Playground

Fine. Almost nothing - except the Sparkly Marines - with a save better than 4+ is Fleet. Happy now?
    Hmm. Shrike?
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Chocobo View Post
    Hmm. Shrike?
    Yes, yes...We've kicked Wraith enough.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

24. - Top - End - #1434

Aww, and I was just about to mention Waaagh!-ing Mega Nobz!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

evisiron, that is the most awesome character idea I have ever heard of. I'm going to subscribe to this thread and look forward to updates.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Orc in the Playground

Hey, I have a Space Marine list for you guys to look over. I hope the format is okay.

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ:
    Librarian -190 points
    Epistolary, terminator armor and storm shield,
    null zone, and vortex of doom

Troops:
    Tactical marines (x10) 200 points
    Plasma gun, Lascannon,
    Sergeant: storm bolter

Plasma gun, Lascannon,

Elites:
    Terminators (x5) 200 points
    Thunder hammers, storm shields

Sterngaurd Veterens (x10) 355 points
    x8 Combimeltas, x2 Lascannons
    + Drop pod

+ Drop pod

Total: 1500 points.

The idea is that the lascannon tactical marines can split off into combat squads while the sergeant/plasma guns run forward. The librarian deepstrikes in with a terminator guard and uses vortex to take out big targets, assaulting it/them next turn if need be. The sternguards split into combat squads at deployment, with the two lascannons staying back and the others dropping in as normal. Although I want to know if that makes the combi-meltas redundant with all the lascannons, in which case Im considering combi-flamers. Also, I would like to know whether or not a dreadnought with 2 heavy flamers and a drop pod would be helpful in place of one of the veterens squads.
    GENERATION 18: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

26. - Top - End - #1436
    Colossus in the Playground

Mustn't forget the Elder Autarch... still, the point has been made.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

27. - Top - End - #1437

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizzypop View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ:
    Librarian -190 points

Troops:
    Plasma gun, Lascannon,

Plasma gun, Lascannon,

Elites:

+ Drop pod

+ Drop pod

The idea is that the lascannon tactical marines can split off into combat squads while the sergeant/plasma guns run forward. The librarian deepstrikes in with a terminator guard and uses vortex to take out big targets, assaulting it/them next turn if need be. The sternguards split into combat squads at deployment, with the two lascannons staying back and the others dropping in as normal. Although I want to know if that makes the combi-meltas redundant with all the lascannons, in which case Im considering combi-flamers. Also, I would like to know whether or not a dreadnought with 2 heavy flamers and a drop pod would be helpful in place of one of the veterens squads.
    Yay! I'm going to try and help before CheeseGear gets around to it. That magical ring of dairy product! *shakefist*

Anyway. You don't really need the Lascannons on the Sternguard ; in fact, it's the opposite of the way you put it. The Combi-meltas are a lot more useful than the lascannons being in your Sternguard, seeing as you'll be Deep Striking rather close anyway, and can Combat Squad "upon deployment" when leaving the Drop Pod* ; you get to have 4 "squads" of Sternguard deployed, with 4 Combimeltas each, more than enough to kill the average tank with decent luck.

I'm going with No on the Dreadnought, since it'd be the only "real" vechicle and therefore a very shiny target.

*This could be entirely wrong, it's just the way a guy at the games shop used to play it.
    Spoiler
    Show

All Avatars by Elder Tsofu!

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Klose_the_Sith View Post
    I still stand by my Assault Scouts though. They make a good choke-point unit (having held up my friends Genestealers for 3 turns/rounds).
    How many stealers did he have? Only 8?

Most of the time you don't want to hold up genestealers. It means they can't be shot at for a turn and get a 1d6 consolodation move in your turn.
    "that nighted, penguin-fringed abyss" - At The Mountains of Madness, H.P. Lovecraft

When a man decides another's future behind his back, it is a conspiracy. When a god does it, it's destiny.

29. - Top - End - #1439

Quote Originally Posted by mr.fizzypop View Post
    Hey, I have a Space Marine list for you guys to look over. I hope the format is okay.

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ:
    Librarian -190 points

Troops:
    Plasma gun, Lascannon,

Plasma gun, Lascannon,

Elites:

+ Drop pod

+ Drop pod

Yeah, you don't really need the lascannons on the Sternguard. In fact, I would consider dropping a Sternguard unit in favour of more Troops. Combat squad-ing the Tactical squads does mean you technically have 4 scoring units there, but with 5 men each they are extremely fragile and will be hard pressed if 5 objectives end up on the board.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thanks Kpenguin!

Thanks Serpentine!

30. - Top - End - #1440
    Ogre in the Playground

just to continue the kicking of wraith a Trygon has fleet as well (and a 3+ armor save) making him IMHO the most ridiculous (as far as breaking the old rule) fleeting model in the game

The old concept of 4+ not having fleet used to be true (its the reason Incubi in DE do not get fleet) However the last 2 codexes have been breaking away from this idea (note most of the given examples are BA and Nid) which I personally do not like (but that may be because I use an outdated codex)
    Check out my horrible homebrews