New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Minion cap

1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

eek Minion cap

When I look at command undead i see the cap is the HD of the caster. When I look at animate dead i see the cap is 4x the caster HD. When you add the bonus of desecration the cap becomes 8 times the level of the caster? now what is it? Is it like i can command my hd in undead hd, and then also commander 4x my hd of animated hd undead? oh and then there is also this rebuking and all...

help!

*yes i am still working on my necromancer and i want to figure out what my limits are before I start the campaign*

Thanks in advance,
    Anarion
    "The gods are not on the side of the biggest battalions, but on those who roll best."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Pixie in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Minion cap

And do undeadmastery and corpsecrafter stack?
    "The gods are not on the side of the biggest battalions, but on those who roll best."

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm AFB, but as I recall it's just 4x CL. If you're in a desecrated area it's twice that, but if you leave you lose your extra undead. Also- look into Rod of Undead Mastery for another, more stable doubling (and remember that two doublings equal a tripling, as always).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

The two caps are seperate.
    You get a cap to how many undead HD you can control through the Create Undead spell.
    You get another cap to how many undead HD you can control through the Animate Dead spell.
    You get a further cap to how many undead HD you can control through the rebuke undead ability.
    Oh, anything I want he gives it to me
    Anything I want he gives it, but not for free

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

So does that mean that you can create more undead than the animate dead spell lets you control, then use rebuke to gain control of them?
    Inner fear is your only enemy.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

The answer to your problem is Wights. Wights make more wights, who are under their control. Thus, if you start with commanding three wights, and they each make three more, who then make three more, you now have 39 wights, under your control via the wights you control.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Vec View Post
    So does that mean that you can create more undead than the animate dead spell lets you control, then use rebuke to gain control of them?
    Yes, that works.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

My necropolitan warlock ur-priest just got an evilgasm.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

the Desecrate spell
    the Corpsecrafter feat
    the Enhance Undead wizard alternate class feature
    and the Undead Mastery dread necromancer class feature
    stack hp but not enhancement bonuses.

End Result: +4 enhancement bonus to Str & Dex, +8hp/HD
    "The fool is marked by ignoring the wisdom of the wise. The wise are marked by their eagerness to heed the wisdom of the fool."

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn080 View Post
    The answer to your problem is Wights. Wights make more wights, who are under their control. Thus, if you start with commanding three wights, and they each make three more, who then make three more, you now have 39 wights, under your control via the wights you control.
    I prefer Shadows actually. If you're a 6th level cleric, you can command basic shadows. They are incorporeal undead so they have a sick-ass ton of immunities; and are quite literally invulnerable to creatures who aren't sporting some nice magic abilities or magical weapons. When they reduce a creature to 0 strength, it dies and becomes a shadow under your control (due to you controlling the controller).

This means you can have an bunch of incorporeal undead - with no real limit - following you around an doing your bidding. They re-enforce your skeletons and zombies exceptionally well. They're completely useless against anything that's immune to strength damage or negative energy though.

However, you could also keep an Allip or two around for more fun. They drain wisdom and have a nice aura that messes with people. They're 4HD though, so you need to be 8th level to control one.

Also, don't forget that incorporeal creatures can exist inside of objects. It's entirely possible to have your undead take cover 5ft underground or inside a wall, and thus be virtually un-attackable; while still being able to attack outside of the wall with a 50% miss chance (since they can't see their targets).
    You are my God.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Shadows are nice, but lack the ability to do grunt labor. Still, a mix of shadows and wights would work nicely. A self perpetuating force of shadows and wights, marching across the country side, assimilating everything in its path, anything killed but not turned into one made into something snazzy. I'm not sure how you could stop that.

12. - Top - End - #12

Shadows are nice, but lack the ability to do grunt labor. Still, a mix of shadows and wights would work nicely. A self perpetuating force of shadows and wights, marching across the country side, assimilating everything in its path, anything killed but not turned into one made into something snazzy. I'm not sure how you could stop that.
    I will agree with this entirely. For a RPG, manual labor capability > unstoppable army of death. Really, it allows you to do fun stuff like build castles, temples, villages, and the like.

This Post Right Here illustrates some of the awesomeness that is do-able with minions.
    You are my God.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

*Ahem*

Animate Dead lets you animate twice your caster level worth of HD with a single casting. Desecrate doubles this.

You have an Animate pool that is added to when you use Animate Dead. This equals 4 times your caster level worth of HD. If you are a Dread Necromancer that is at least level 8, you have 4 plus your charisma modifier multiplied by your caster level. If you use Fell Animate, the zombies raised are controlled under this, I believe.

You may have a Rebuking pool depending on your class. You can Command undead using Rebuke attempts. Your maximum number of undead in the Rebuking pool is your effective level for turning undead. The Rebuking pool and Animate pool are seperate, and so are any undead you command using the spell Command Undead.

Create Undead and Create Greater Undead can create twice your level of undead in a single casting, but the spell doesn't put them under your control automatically. Desecrate doubles this creation amount.

So...

Animate Dead: 2x create, 4x control
    Create Undead / Create Greater Undead: 2x create, 0 control
    Rebuking: 1x control

Undead Mastery and Corpsecrafter do not stack for the Strength bonuses as they are both enhancement bonuses, but the Hp bump stacks since they are unnamed. Desecrate also adds +1 Hp (or +2 with an altar) on top of this since the bonus is unnamed too.

And thus concludes my Arcane Thesis on Animate Dead. Hope this helps.
    I return!

Currently working on my own game heavily influenced by D&D 3.5 and PF. All of it is OGL material. The finished version will be released on PDF at some point.

Looking for people to add random fluff to my setting. PM me if you are interested.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Thank you, Rin!
    I was about to ask someone if they had the books in hand to summarize and clarify that.

And remember that your School Focus will not add to any of those caps, nor any effects that raise your spells DCs, but effects that grant you "virtual caster levels", like Practiced Spellcaster, do.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Look up the Animate Dread Warrior spell. It has no minion caps so you can command as many of these that you can animate. Only problem is that it has an XP cost with each casting.

There are of course ways to mitigate this cost:
    -Dweomerkeeper supernatural spell. Cast any spell as a supernatural ability which ignores costly components. Easily one of the most broken ability in the game.
    -Make yourself undead and spellstitch Animate Dread Warrior onto yourself so you can cast it for free, and you can build up a substantial army.
    ESPRE Super Powers Roleplay Engine: An open game RPG about super powers.
    Spoiler
    Show

Trissociate 3.5 Homebrew Base Class. Mix & match abilites & templates to make virtually any sort of character!
    Emerald Legion A Mind Flayer's guide to breeding Ikea Tarrasques
    The Blob Ikea Tarrasques Redux through Fusion+Astral Seed
    Spellblade Tennis Throw out nigh infinite spells per round
    Sleeping Raven Infinite Blood Frenzy Nigh infinite melee damage exploit

16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Il_Vec View Post
    My necropolitan warlock ur-priest just got an evilgasm.
    Bear in mind, though, that if your enemies happen to kill a shadow or wight higher up in the chain, you could potentially lose control of a lot of your army. You're a necropolitan, so you're probably safe from undead running amok and attacking you personally, but you never know when their unpredictable behavior will jeopardize your long-term plans.

Unless, of course, you're the "Spread Chaos and Corruption!" type of necromancer, in which case you'll probably think this is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    Mewtarthio, you have scared my brain into hiding, a trembling, broken shadow of a thing, cowering somewhere in the soothing darkness and singing nursery rhymes in the hope of obscuring the Lovecraftian facts you so boldly brought into daylight.

17. - Top - End - #17

Remember the multiplying rules.

It's been argued that animate dead states that you automatically control all undead created with your most recent casting and that this can allow you to exceed your HD cap. Whether you can convince your DM of this is up to you.

On the topic of the self-perpetuating force, just make sure you keep the 'head commanders' close to yourself or otherwise safe, as the loss of one of your main commanders could lead to a domino-effect loss of control in a very large force.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

If you get high enough level, even killing your higher up wights won't be a problem if you have control undead. Three castings, assuming the three a tier, and you reclaim control of all the undead under them.

Also, as intelligent undead, those you convert first will probably gain class levels. If all your wights right below you have a couple levels of clerics, possibly enough to command wights on their own, suddenly it's a lot harder to drop them. Couple of ICW, maybe a wand of ICW for those farther down, Hold Person. Of course, if you want the power of rock, bard would be a good choice. Some of the musical instruments would work nicely with creatures that don't need to stop playing for food, drink, or sleep.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Though I think leadership decapitation is a wonderful and fun counter to this strategy, if you were serious about doing it, you really would command every wight to command its wights to obey your commands to make sure it doesn't work. Well, they might be able to disobey their commanders if they were dead.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

20. - Top - End - #20

However, if the chain is broken, they're uncontrolled.

For example, let's call your wights 1, 2, and 3.
    Call their offspring a, b, and c
    call their offspring x, y, and z

So 1 controls 1a, 1b, and 1c.
    1a controls 1ax, 1ay, and 1az.

If 1a is killed, then 1ax, 1ay, and 1az are uncontrolled.

If 1 is killed, then 1ax, 1ay, 1az, 1bx, 1by, 1bz, 1cx, 1cy, and 1cz are uncontrolled.

It's very unstable.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

I answered that. A couple of scrolls of control undead, chained if possible, or cast it by yourself. Or as the gentleman above said as well, first order new wights get is obey the human.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Remember, spells only check conditions at cast time. You can desecrate an area, use a Rod of Undead Mastery, and cast animate dead and none of your minions will suddenly disappear unless you exceeded the cap.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

23. - Top - End - #23

I answered that. A couple of scrolls of control undead, chained if possible, or cast it by yourself. Or as the gentleman above said as well, first order new wights get is obey the human.
    The problem is that undead whose masters die become uncontrolled. That means they are no longer beholden to the order.

That tactic works for simulacrum abuse. Not for this.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Yes, the next three down would become uncontrolled, but any those three convert would be controlled by those three. Thus, if one dies, leaving A,B,C orphaned, any wights under A,B,C, would still be under their control. Thus, you just have to use control undead on A,B,C to reestablish your command of any under them. Or command them, or convince them that fighting the rest of your army is a waste of time and they should join up again anyway. Pretty much any of the tactics you would use to control them in the first place.

25. - Top - End - #25

Yes, the next three down would become uncontrolled, but any those three convert would be controlled by those three. Thus, if one dies, leaving A,B,C orphaned, any wights under A,B,C, would still be under their control. Thus, you just have to use control undead on A,B,C to reestablish your command of any under them. Or command them, or convince them that fighting the rest of your army is a waste of time and they should join up again anyway. Pretty much any of the tactics you would use to control them in the first place.
    This relies on:

1) Finding them
    2) Them having any desire to reason with you
    3) Them having any intent to combat your army

They could be just as content attacking you, or leaving to go elsewhere.

That's not even getting into immediate ramifications. You have your wights go pillage some town, and 9 get killed, including 3 controllers. 1/3 of your army leaves your control in the middle of the fight. Perhaps more, if unlucky.

26. - Top - End - #26

They might just willingly work for you, as well, being intelligent undead.

obnoxious
    sig
    On DMPCs: "Remember, nothing will spice up your campaign quicker than long descriptions of NPC’s doing spectacular stuff while the players sit around and watch." -Shamus Young, DM of the Rings
    Divide By Zero: Irreverent Fool, you are my hero.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Irreverent Fool View Post
    They might just willingly work for you, as well, being intelligent undead.

obnoxious
    sig
    Intelligent undead with a hatred for all living things and a chaotic attitude.

They're not poster children for employee of the month.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Remember to get that rod that doubles the amount of undead you can control, If used with a Dread Necromancer this allows for laughable amounts of undead.

It's in Libris Mortis (I think, It might be Heroes of Horror).
    Awesome Gnome Psion avatar by Elrond.