New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [3.5/Pathfinder] Can elementals use S components?

Elementals speak Auran, Ignan, Aquan, or Terran, depending on type, so they have the ability to speak and therefore produce verbal components. So a sorceror under the effect of elemental body could make verbal components, and provided the spell has no expensive component, Eschew Materials covers materials.

So that leaves only the somatic component. Could the caster make them or would he have to cast stilled spells in elemental form?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5/Pathfinder] Can elementals use S components?

Elementals can move, one would expect the capability.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caphi View Post
    Elementals speak Auran, Ignan, Aquan, or Terran, depending on type, so they have the ability to speak and therefore produce verbal components. So a sorceror under the effect of elemental body could make verbal components, and provided the spell has no expensive component, Eschew Materials covers materials.

So that leaves only the somatic component. Could the caster make them or would he have to cast stilled spells in elemental form?
    after consulting my book, no because you lost all class features in elemental form, but it does say the the GM decides if you can keep some.

Unless it wasn't of the polymorph subtype.
    Last edited by Touchy; 2010-04-15 at 07:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Everything can make somatic gestures. The problem comes when you shapeshift into a form that makes somatic gestures in a different way than you.

An awakened tiger Wizard would have troubled when polymorphing into a human.

But elementals are generally humanoid so I don't see there being a problem.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2010-04-15 at 07:24 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Touchy View Post
    after consulting my book, no because you lost all class features in elemental form, but it does say the the GM decides if you can keep some.

Unless it wasn't of the polymorph subtype.
    I already checked that, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder SRD
    When you cast a polymorph spell that changes you into a creature of the animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin type, [...] you cannot cast any spells that require material components (unless you have the Eschew Materials or Natural Spell feat), and can only cast spells with somatic or verbal components if the form you choose has the capability to make such movements or speak, such as a dragon.
    So yeah. I know elementals can speak, so the question was body.