New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: OOTS #715 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Procyonpi View Post
    Great comic! I'm loving this arc more and more! Also does anyone else find it impressive that Rich is actually keeping track of where the current countries on the western continent are, at least enough to have put "Empire of blood" on the map in 698?
    For all we know she actually rules the empire of sweat.

EDIT: Seriously though, no, not really. It's hard for us because it was only shown once, and mostly in passing. Rich has had at least some of these names chosen for a while and while the western continent has a wide varied history of political powers, he only needs to know the current one to tell the story properly.
    Last edited by Kumo; 2010-04-17 at 04:49 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Orc in the Playground

It also doesn't hurt that The three largest kingdoms of the empires of "blood", "sweat", and "tears", which I thought was a funny enough joke to remember

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DBear View Post
    It always had straps, going back to when she bought it in #675
    Huh, don't know how I missed them.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sablewinged View Post
    They couldn't put Zz'dtri's information on the poster because then the lawyers would have to make an appearance and haul off some more people. The Empress of Blood doesn't want to be arrested/sued for copyright infringement before she gets to enact whatever punishment she can on Nale.
    I agree with Sablewinged's theory. The Drow are copyrighted, I'm guessing.

Dilvish

5. - Top - End - #215
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    I agree with Sablewinged's theory. The Drow are copyrighted, I'm guessing.

Dilvish
    Drow are SRD but the drow in question whose name i cannot actually spell was a copyright violation. (EDIT: that's why the lawyers hauled him off, not because he was a drow.)
    Last edited by Kumo; 2010-04-17 at 07:12 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by the humanity View Post
    there are pleasure devils though.
    What book are pleasure devils in? And which edition of D&D is it?

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Also, Haley is totally a half-celestial half-dragon whose real mother is Girard. You heard it here first.
    So the whole guy with a beard thing is just an illusion?? One he kept up for years with his close adventuring buddies?

Damn, that's some crafty illusions right there!! just what I'd suspect out of an Epic Illusionist.
    "Besides, you know the saying: Kill one, and you are a murderer. Kill millions, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god." -- Fishman

8. - Top - End - #218
    Barbarian in the Playground

Great comic! I'm loving this arc more and more! Also does anyone else find it impressive that Rich is actually keeping track of where the current countries on the western continent are, at least enough to have put "Empire of blood" on the map in 698?
    Not really. He writes the story - the countries are wherever he wants them to be. And despite the time since it was posted, 698 was only 17 strips ago, you know.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Orc in the Playground

Not having read the entire thread, I would like to comment on V's comment in the second to the last panel. It shows a bit more development on V's part, as the wizard was rather contemptible of the non-arcane members of the OotS in the past. There is now a recognition that magic may not be the x-factor in some combats. Now if only Blackwing would just get a clue as to what V is thinking...

Spoiler
    Show
    Just hope that V can make those Move Silent and Hide checks to get the backstab on Blue boy. Having both hands full of grappled foes sets up a nice Sneak Attack.
    Thanks to Ceika for my avatar of Tobimaro.
    Ponytaur by the awesome Dirtytabs. Thanks!

My Dragons need your help. Please?

I now have a blog. Check it out!

10. - Top - End - #220
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tobimaro View Post
    Not having read the entire thread, I would like to comment on V's comment in the second to the last panel. It shows a bit more development on V's part, as the wizard was rather contemptible of the non-arcane members of the OotS in the past. There is now a recognition that magic may not be the x-factor in some combats. Now if only Blackwing would just get a clue as to what V is thinking...

Spoiler
    Show
    Just hope that V can make those Move Silent and Hide checks to get the backstab on Blue boy. Having both hands full of grappled foes sets up a nice Sneak Attack.
    (i think you meant H in the spoiler)

11. - Top - End - #221
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tobimaro View Post
    Not having read the entire thread, I would like to comment on V's comment in the second to the last panel. It shows a bit more development on V's part, as the wizard was rather contemptible of the non-arcane members of the OotS in the past.
    Not true. Vaarsuvius has consistently shown respect to Roy and Haley throughout the strip.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Also does anyone else find it impressive that Rich is actually keeping track of where the current countries on the western continent are, at least enough to have put "Empire of blood" on the map in 698?
    Isn't that what EVERY fantasy author does?

I mean, there are a lot of things that are particularly praiseworthy about the comic... but the fact that the author remembered to include the places he's writing about on the maps that he's drawn is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by the humanity View Post
    there are pleasure devils though.
    Last edited by Nimrod's Son; 2010-04-18 at 02:58 AM.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dilvish View Post
    What book are pleasure devils in? And which edition of D&D is it?
    Tyrants of the Nine Hells for 3.5

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Ah, the action's heating up.
    And this summary of facts was very helpful:
    Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    The whole "Empress of Blood" being Nale's stepmother is new. Here's what we do know:

Haley's father was being held in Tyrinaria on the Western Continent by someone named Lord Tyrinar. Recent recap.

Elan's father is a warlord, who, judging by his banner, either has a name, or a country (or both!), starting with T.

Nale had some sort of falling out with his father, although Kish's post makes it clear that, while he may have been in the midst of treason, he hadn't done anything to him yet (although that doesn't preclude that it was known that he was intending something).

The most recent comic confirms that Nale is known on the Western continent, from the old days when he had Yikyik in his party, and has done something to upset this Empress of Blood. It's possible that he and his associates from the old days are known around here from adventuring together for a while on the Western continent, and the Empress's enmity is new. After all, we know that rulers don't last long on the Western continent, and it would be unlikely that the Empire of Blood was around that long ago.
    A tiny snippet from the map-lady on the new countries in 680: "But it may be worth asking around in this new place thats -", but she got cut off when Haley panicked over Belkar and Roy aproaching the map-lady's tent.

Heh, the giant really likes his plot-speculators roasted on a slow fire. Damn you, giant!

But as things go, the bounty hunter still have to make their getaway, and we still dont know what Roy, Belkar or Durkon have found out. Even the town they are in right now is not yet revealed, and it probably makes a difference wether the OOTS has to deal with its current problems in Bleedingham, capital of EOB or any other of the five big citys around the desert.

My bet: They escape the bounty hunter duo, but still have to outrun an angry mob of price-hungry adventurers. My wager in crazy: The end up at the Empress of Blood anyway, and she turns out to be Serini.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

The Empress of Blood being Nale's stepmother, and the Empire of Blood formerly being Tyrinaria would make some sense, actually... the EOB is the largest of the countries listed in the desert, and Nale stating that his father had a 'nigh unstoppable army' would help his country retain a great size, I imagine.
    You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
    -- John Mason.

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Isn't that what EVERY fantasy author does?

I mean, there are a lot of things that are particularly praiseworthy about the comic... but the fact that the author remembered to include the places he's writing about on the maps that he's drawn is not one of them.

Indeed. Rich is a great writer, but praising the bare minimum level of competence as "impressive" is like congratulating an adult on tying their shoes.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

I wear slip-ons, m'self.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't even tie mine. I tie them once and just slip them on and off.

I should have picked a better metaphor.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    I take that to be need as in "40,000 is plenty, an extra 5,000 isn't worth the risk of trying to hold a demonic rogue prisoner."
    Isn't it even more dangerous to turn your back on said demonic rogue, without making any attempt to kill or otherwise incapacitate her while you have the upper hand?

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

I think the "risk" they're referring to is other bounty hunters, not one rogue. One rogue is easy to deal with, but if they hang around too long, they might run into an entire bounty hunter team that wants the money for themselves.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Pixie in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Kumo View Post
    Drow are SRD but the drow in question whose name i cannot actually spell was a copyright violation. (EDIT: that's why the lawyers hauled him off, not because he was a drow.)
    That explains why they couldn't use the name on the poster, but why the unknown subtype? And why say 'elf wizard' if the little half-elf is still in Nale's party instead of saying half-elf? Could there perhaps be a new elf wizard Nale has hired?

Edit: If I recall correctly the half-elf was adamant about being male, or it was at least confirmed that he was male. So why 'unknown gender'?
    Last edited by Sablewinged; 2010-04-18 at 04:42 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Barbarian in the Playground

That explains why they couldn't use the name on the poster, but why the unknown subtype? And why say 'elf wizard' if the little half-elf is still in Nale's party instead of saying half-elf? Could there perhaps be a new elf wizard Nale has hired?

Edit: If I recall correctly the half-elf was adamant about being male, or it was at least confirmed that he was male. So why 'unknown gender'?
    Presumably, whoever the Empress got the information about Zddtri or whatever it's spelled like from, saw an elf of a type they didn't know, and had a hard time telling the gender.

"Your Sanguinary Majesty, the last member of the party was an elf. I'm not sure what kind it was -- there are too many subtypes anyway, as you know. And it looked male in some lights .... but female in others .... "

"Very well! Put "unknown subtype and gender" in the wanted poster. It's Nale we're after anyway."

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

YAY FOR COORDINATED SOUL-SELLING no not really.

But that was funny.

Echoes of the heart never fade...

24. - Top - End - #234
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by beryon View Post
    Isn't it even more dangerous to turn your back on said demonic rogue, without making any attempt to kill or otherwise incapacitate her while you have the upper hand?
    They're planning to teleport away.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Here is where he is introduced.

Nale has no idea on what subrace he is; he has to be told he's a Half-Elf.

Aaand.... his gender identity is established at the end. Nale had no idea till he hit on Sabine and called himself a man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Magazine, Issue 4
    A player may orgy continuously as many days as he has constitution points, but then must rest for as many days as he orgied.
    My first homebrew- Ur-Priest as a Base Class?! The Divine Charlatan

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Unknown" does not mean "unknowable". The people who wrote the poster obviously got second- or third-hand reports, which may have had no information about gender.
    Congratulations, you can link to TV Tropes. This does not mean you have special insight into the storytelling process, much less the author's mind. Stories don't need to fit into neat boxes, you know.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Spod has it right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasilich View Post
    You not reading the comic isn't going to make this comic any less awesome for all the rest of us.