New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Reserve Feat Brainstorming

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    It'd probably stand a d4, yeah. Might get a bit powerful with a d6...

Nearly did that myself but got cold feet.
    Oh hohoho, "cold feet", I get it.

Also, I'll go add that to the OP. We're getting a good collection of 'em going now.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arguskos View Post
    As much as I LIKE those ideas, they're not viable, since they're too up for debate between DMs and Players. We could do [Air] for Guided Missile (it's the feel anyways).
    Really? I don't think so... yeah, there's no actual descriptor, but I dunno, seems obvious and objective enough...

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    Really? I don't think so... yeah, there's no actual descriptor, but I dunno, seems obvious and objective enough...
    Given that all reserve feats are based on school or descriptor? Compared to that, it's highly subjective and breaks the clear pattern they have established. Dammit, why is there no subtype for undead creation or telekinesis?! They'd be fairly heavily used too.

All that I say applies only to myself. You author your own actions and choices. I cannot and will not be responsible for you, nor are you for me, regardless of situation or circumstance.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Banned

You could always make them up...

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DragoonWraith View Post
    You could always make them up...
    Makes sense...
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

...augh, I do not need more to brew! Well, might as well.

[Undead] is a spell descriptor that should be appended to the following SRD spells:
    Animate Dead, Create Undead, Create Greater Undead, Control Undead, Detect Undead, Disrupt Undead, Halt Undead, Hide from Undead, Speak with Dead, and Undeath to Death.

[Telekinesis] is a spell descriptor that should be appended to the following SRD spells:
    Animate Objects, Animate Rope, Clenched Fist, Control Water, Crushing Fist, Dancing Lights, Floating Disk, Forceful Hand, Grasping Hand, Interposing Hand, Mage Hand, Mage's Sword, Open/Close, Prestidigitation, Reverse Gravity, Spectral Hand, Spiritual Weapon, Telekinesis, and Telekinetic Sphere.

These are SRD only, and fairly broad categories.

Note: I've changed Corpsewalk and Guided Missile appropriately, with a link to this post.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-04-17 at 05:04 PM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

I've always thought that there should be an ability enhancer. Something like

As long as you have a 2nd level or higher transmutation spell available to cast, you can, as a move action, Induce a surge of physical ability granting yourself a bonus to Either Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution equal to the highest-level transmutation spell you have available to cast for one round.

When casting Transmutation spells, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level.

That on its own I think is way to powerful. There needs to be a limit on how often it can be used and there should be some type of drawback. Maybe something like...

This explosion of physical capability comes at a cost. Doing so leaves the user exhausted. This ability cannot be used while exhausted

I don't know, maybe its a dumb idea all together.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

Auston, there is Minor Shapeshift already. It doesn't directly buff ability scores, but does do similarish stuff.

We could do an "ability enhancer" as well though.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-04-17 at 05:16 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Aww, I was hoping for some more feedback on this. Any thoughts on the new spell subtypes? Or any more thoughts for feats? Perhaps a straight ability enhancer, like Auston suggested?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Halfling in the Playground

Daemon

Working on a reserve feat based base class modeled after splicers from bioshock, really love all of these homebrew feats, so for the sake of continuing the thread I'll post one of mine.

Numbing Ray
    Prerequisites Able to cast first level spells
    Benefits If you have a spell with the [cold] subtype prepared you may make a ranged touch attack that imposes a 1 + 1/2 levels of the spell prepared dex penalty to A/c, reflex saves, finesse attacks and skill checks until the end of combat.
    Additional Benefits All spells with the [cold] subtype are cast at + 1 caster level

Keep up the good work

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

I like Numbing Ray. Hmm, how about an "equivalent" for each energy type? deafening for sonic, a slow burning effect for fire, maybe a slow for electric, and a blinding for acid? I like this concept, I like it a lot.

Also, do you mind if I clean up Numbing Ray's wording a little? I've got a pattern here.

12. - Top - End - #42

Daemon

Heck, the main reason I haven't posted more is because I have no idea how the formatting is supposed to go. Feel free!

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ryleah View Post
    Heck, the main reason I haven't posted more is because I have no idea how the formatting is supposed to go. Feel free!
    For the record, the following is my formatting:
    Name [Reserve]
    Flavor Text Here
    Prerequisites: Able to cast Xth level spells
    Benefits: As long as you have a descriptor spell of Xth level or higher available to cast, XYZ.
    As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting descriptor spells.
    Also... um... Numbing Ray needs a duration on the effect and to NOT affect Weapon Finesse attacks (sorta odd). I think a 1/2 spell level powering the feat duration would work.

14. - Top - End - #44

Daemon

Also... um... Numbing Ray needs a duration
    Until the end of combat is not an uncommon duration.

on the effect and to NOT affect Weapon Finesse attacks (sorta odd).
    I wanted it to effectively do dex damage but not actually do dex damage, hence the finesse damage

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Until the end of combat is not an uncommon duration.
    For reserve feats? Not really.

I wanted it to effectively do dex damage but not actually do dex damage, hence the finesse damage
    ...why not? Just make it do 1+1/2 spell level Dex damage. There's nothing wrong with that.

16. - Top - End - #46

Daemon

Full on dex damage seemed overpowered for an at will ability, how about it lasts a flat minute.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

Full on dex damage seemed overpowered for an at will ability, how about it lasts a flat minute.
    ...10 rounds? Why so long?

First, it shouldn't stack with itself. Just specify that. Then, we make it Dex damage with 1/2 spell level duration. That makes it pretty reasonable for an at-will reserve feat ability.

I don't see how that could possibly be overpowered, even from level 1. -2 Dex for 1 round isn't that good.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Consider making it a Dex penalty? Then it doesn't need extra rules to avoid stacking and would allow for larger numbers without one rounding Dragons.

Animate Objects would be fun. Make it like Deathwalk in that you can only have one up at a time and make it as the spell except CL = 1/2*Spell Level netting you maximum Huge objects with 8th level spells.

Telekinesis? No idea how to balance this one but I like the idea.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by FishAreWet View Post
    Consider making it a Dex penalty? Then it doesn't need extra rules to avoid stacking and would allow for larger numbers without one rounding Dragons.

Animate Objects would be fun. Make it like Deathwalk in that you can only have one up at a time and make it as the spell except CL = 1/2*Spell Level netting you maximum Huge objects with 8th level spells.

Telekinesis? No idea how to balance this one but I like the idea.
    I approve of everything in this post. Also, it's Corpsewalk, not Deathwalk (sounds like an Oingo Boingo song [kudos if you get the reference]).

I'll figure out an Animate Objects and a Telekinesis reserve.
    Last edited by arguskos; 2010-04-19 at 09:52 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50

Daemon

The visual was that every time you hit an opponent with a ray you create a coat of ice that slows them down and makes them ungainly, without actually damaging an ability score. The effects were meant to stack, actually, as each successive layer of ice makes the opponent more cumbersome and slows them down even more. Obviously I went about this the wrong way, so, I'll be editing momentarily.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

It's not that your imagery is bad, just that mechanically, what you were doing doesn't work that well, and there are just better methods for it. It's a good image though, don't get me wrong.

22. - Top - End - #52

Daemon

Numbing Ray [Reserve]
    I don't have to run fast, I just have to run faster than you
    Prerequisites Ability to cast 1st level spells
    Benefits As long as you have a cold spell of 2nd level or higher available to cast, you may make a ranged touch attack that creates a sheet of ice encasing the target. This sheet imposes a penalty to dexterity equal to 1+1/2 the level of the highest level [cold] spell you have prepared. For every 2 points of penalty added in this way the targets move speed is reduced by 5 feet and their flight maneuverability, if any, is lowered by one stage (perfect to good, good to average, etc....) These penalty's stack. As a full round action the a player targeted by this ray may attack the ice that coats them. The ice is effectively one inch thick for each point of penalty imposed, and the penalty is lessened by 1 point for each inch of ice removed in this manner.
    As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting cold spells.
    Last edited by ryleah; 2010-04-20 at 11:49 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

I'd say that a Dex penalty for one or two rounds of a value equal to your highest level spell would be fine. Give it a descriptor, say Hinderance and you've got no issues of stacking.

After all, ice breaks when you move.

how about a fire Equivilent.

Smoulder: [Reserve]
    With a glance and a gesture, you ignite some exposed cloth or hair on the target. It's effects are minimal, save the panicked flailing needed to put it out.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast 2nd level spells
    Description: As long as you have a 2nd level fire spell or higher available, you may ignite a small amount of the clothing of a target within 30ft. The material smoulders and burns more like it was wicking oil and is itself not damaged; it does, however, hurt a lot and most people panic the moment they notice. at the beginning of each of its turns, the victim takes 1 point of Fire damage per level of your highest level Fire spell. The fire can be extinguished as a Standard action; those choosing to ignore it must make a Will save to avoid being compelled to extinguish the flames.
    In addition, you gain +1 CL when casting spells with the Fire descriptor.

@Aguskos: Most Reserve feats basically replace the effects of 0th level spells with something more meaningful anyway...as far as i'm concerned, that's what they do, a bit like Realms of Chaos' at Will Fundamentals thing. Moving something like 2lb per spell level should be sufficient. That said, in the earliest versions, Magic Missile was basically a telekinesis effect. I'm never sure what "Force" is supposed to be any more...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2010-04-20 at 12:34 PM.
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

24. - Top - End - #54

Daemon

Motewall [Reserve]
    Missed me!
    Prerequisites able to cast third level spells
    BenefitsAs long as you have an abjuration spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you may create a wall-shaped patch of floating magical motes, which is 20 square feet per 3 levels of the spell prepared and lasts for 1 round per 3 levels of the spell prepared. This wall is very difficult to see and requires a spot check equal to the save DC for the spell it is based off of. The moats are inert unless a projectile or targeted spell passes through the field, at which point the condense to form a tiny wall of force precisely in front of the offending missile, negating the attack and cause reactive projectiles (alchemist's fires, tanglefoot bags, fireballs, etc) to react at the point at which they come into contact with the wall
    As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting abjuration spells.
    Last edited by ryleah; 2010-04-20 at 08:15 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Daemon

Forgot to give it a duration, oops!

26. - Top - End - #56

Daemon

Smoulder: [Reserve]
    With a glance and a gesture, you ignite some exposed cloth or hair on the target. It's effects are minimal, save the panicked flailing needed to put it out.
    Prerequisites: Ability to cast 2nd level spells
    Description: As long as you have a 2nd level fire spell or higher available, you may ignite a small amount of the clothing of a target within 30ft. The material smoulders and burns more like it was wicking oil and is itself not damaged; it does, however, hurt a lot and most people panic the moment they notice. at the beginning of each of its turns, the victim takes 1 point of Fire damage per level of your highest level Fire spell. The fire can be extinguished as a Standard action; those choosing to ignore it must make a Will save to avoid being compelled to extinguish the flames.
    In addition, you gain +1 CL when casting spells with the Fire descriptor.
    Very cool, but how about the will save is to avoid panicking?

27. - Top - End - #57

Daemon

I'm never sure what "Force" is supposed to be any more...
    (Mass x Velocity) / Time

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Hmm. I like Smoulder a bit. I'll actually make the cycle of Energy Reserve Feats I was talking about, along with that Telekinesis and Animate Object feat, later tonight. I have to get goin' (got stuff to be doin').

Also, ryleah, uh, there is an Edit button. It's your friend.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

The Panicked condition would just have the git running around on fire. Having based this one on a personal experience, you just start panickedly slapping at it until it goes out, rather than panicking in D&D terms. Hence why it's a save or be forced to put it out.

Also, very funny on the Force thing, smartarse, but I was referring to the descriptor, which used to be a keyword for sort of 'kinesis' while it now seems to be some kind of substance or other...
    Last edited by Mulletmanalive; 2010-04-20 at 01:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Also, I posted some more stuff and did some formatting in the first post. Should be easier to read now.

Oh, and I added everything but Motewall to the first post. Motewall, while nice, I think needs some more clarification on exactly what it does. It says "puts a wall of force in the way", which, while I can logically figure out what that does, RAW doesn't say much about it, save that it breaks LoS and LoE. Better to spell out the actually intended effect than leave vagaries (ie. say it actually negates the attack).