New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Bakeneko?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lightbulb Bakeneko?

So I stumble across this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko), right? And I'm like, this has got to be one of the coolest monsters ever thought up; it's basically a cat that walks around on its hind legs, grows to be really big, can eat anything, changes its shape, flies, can reanimate the dead, and more.

Has this monster ever been given a stat-block in any 3.5 or 3.0 book? Is it possible to make somehow out of a preexisting monster?

If not, then I say we take a trek down to the homebrew station .
    Last edited by Scarlet-Devil; 2011-01-29 at 03:28 PM.
    Ponified Remilia avatar by Kurien.
    Quote Originally Posted by BayardSPSR View Post
    Do you have 'craft: disturbing mental image' as a class skill?
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

Attempt at converting Geralt of Rivia to 3.5:
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208270

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Bakeneko?

To be honest, it sounds quite a bit like miniature Rakshasa.

[Edit]: Cheshire Cat isn't far off, either.
    Last edited by Greenish; 2011-01-29 at 03:51 PM.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Tibbit nec(o)romancer?

Or... around 80% of the homebrew bhu has done.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2011-01-29 at 06:51 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Tibbits (Dragon Compendium Vol. 1) aren't far off. You could refluff them to give them a forked tail and to let them stand on their hind legs while in kitty form if you were so inclined, though that might interfere with their ability to blend in with other cats.

Then you'd need to find a class which has the aforementioned stuff as spell-like abilities, since you can't really cast spells in kitty form. You can be a fire breathing kitty (Dragonfire Adept) or a Laz0r Kitty (Warlock) though.
    Last edited by Amnestic; 2011-01-29 at 06:53 PM.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'll admit my Japanese isn't nearly as sharp as it could be, but does that name translate to "monster cat?"
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I'll admit my Japanese isn't nearly as sharp as it could be, but does that name translate to "monster cat?"
    It sounds more fancy in forrign.
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Also fixed the money issue by sacrificing a goat.
    Quote Originally Posted by subject42 View Post
    This board needs a "you're technically right but I still want to crawl into the fetal position and cry" emoticon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    I define [optimization] as "the process by which one attains a build meeting all mechanical and characterization goals set out by the creator prior to its creation."
    Praise for avatar may be directed to Derjuin.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Yes, it's a contraction of bakemono (monster) and neko (cat), but as Greenish pointed out... it works better if you just leave it in its native language .

Edit: Just realized that Hengeyokai kind've works, as a base; it would definitely need to have levels in some kind of spellcasting class though, and I don't think they can speak in cat form...
    Last edited by Scarlet-Devil; 2011-01-29 at 08:31 PM.
    Attempt at converting the characters of Touhou to the world of D&D 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=181050

Attempt at converting Berserk characters to 3.5: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186155

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

In the end it is still an awesome monster both from original folklore and in a actual D&D campaign.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    In the end it is still an awesome monster both from original folklore and in a actual D&D campaign.
    True, but for the latter... we have to figure out how to put it into the game .

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet-Devil View Post
    If you haven't already, you should probably check out some of Bhu's Kitty Homebrews.

Even if you can't use it directly, I'm sure it'd come in handy for ideas for the Bakeneko.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

True but even if its weak you can use it to take out collums in a mine killing a large amount of people.
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    If you haven't already, you should probably check out some of Bhu's Kitty Homebrews.

Even if you can't use it directly, I'm sure it'd come in handy for ideas for the Bakeneko.
    Indeed, for future reference: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...=165573&page=4 (About halfway down the page)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I .....love them, as evidenced by my name. You could probably also get away with Anthropomorphic Cat, I have one in my campaign that is basically Puss in Boots. As for all there iconic abilities, any spellcaster really can pull their shenanigans.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

So I stumble across this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakeneko), right? And I'm like, this has got to be one of the coolest monsters ever thought up; it's basically a cat that walks around on its hind legs, grows to be really big, can eat anything, changes its shape, flies, can reanimate the dead, and more.

Has this monster ever been given a stat-block in any 3.5 or 3.0 book? Is it possible to make somehow out of a preexisting monster?

If not, then I say we take a trek down to the homebrew station .
    Well, it does have stats in Scion, along with its more potent cousin, the Nekomata. Hardly helpful for D&D though.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

A few ideas on how this could work:

1. The Catfolk race from Races of the Wild. I think its LA +1. Anyway, just have a catfolk who has two tales, then take a necromancer class. Maybe Dread Necromancer with Tomb Tainted Soul (cause every good necromancer goes that route) then its just a matter of using necromancy based spells and stuff. Perhaps Divine Metamagic and Fell Animate (to make use of his rebuke undead uses, so basically every day if he kills something with a spell he can choose to turn them into a zombie for free).

Could make a decent villain, say he's some kind of undead-tainted mutant version of a regular catfolk and every day he can kill someone with magic to animate them as his servant. Since he's got Tomb-Tainted and hes a Dread Necrmancer he can heal up all his zombie minons for free as well as himself. Maybe he 'collects' the zombies, every day he collects a new one and he remembers where each one came from. Since he's probably got high charisma then give him cross class ranks in Perform skills to let him to the Monster Mash with his zombies. (Or hell be extra cheezy and give him Perform stringed instruments and a Lyre of Building and let him rock the night away while turning the landscape into a Disney Musical Acid Sequence).

2. The familiar of a necromancer is a black cat with two tails. Not sure exactly how you can improve familiars but I'm sure there are ways to give the cat some nasty powers even if they are technically being used by the guy who owns it.

Or... for a twist have it where the Bakeneko familiar is the one in charge. It found some schmuck with magical potential and offered to help them improve their power while it subtly manipulates them. The party may occasionally come across some zombies doing stuff while seeing the cat occasionally out of the corner of their eyes after which it hides or flees. Have people reference how cats have magical powers and can protect places from harm or cause mischief. Maybe have some nursery rhymes to warn against cats with two tails.

3. Druid who turns into a cat-like form.

4. Awakened cat who takes spellcaster class levels.

Or... another plot idea could be that cats can gain magical powers if allowed to live long enough (if they live lone enough they get two tails and gain intelligence due to being elderly... that gives them enough brains to become sapient). So people in that area have taken to killing cats before they become smart or strong enough to become a threat.

Then one cat manages to not only avoid death long enough to become intelligence but it is really angry at humans for their actions. It then uses its powers to try and take over the land or at least drive away the humans so they can't hurt the cats. Cue zombies rising up and making strategic strikes against the humans, the bakeneko might even remote-manipulate them. Using magic to look through their eyes and speak through them so that the players confront a bunch of zombies and suddenly one of them starts saying how it will "take back the land from the humans. And put them in the ground as they have done with so many of my people."

Cue a campaign where the players fight after waves of zombie mooks who are just the puppets of magical creatures who are very weak on their own. The Bakeneko might be extremely weak on its own but makes up for it with zombie minions and the ability to run and hide from its enemies.

At least until it grows up to become a Nekomata and becomes a powerhouse on its own.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, it's a contraction of bakemono (monster) and neko (cat), but as Greenish pointed out... it works better if you just leave it in its native language
    Mono means "thing" and used to describe groups of things that share one common trait. So it's not a contraction but the general mono is replaced by the more specific neko.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Of course, the bakaneko BBEG has to be a guy, or really subtle.

Otherwise, the party smart aleck will start drawing physics equations on everything until God kills that one.

...Yes, I am a failed stand-up. Why do you ask?
    My Homestuck role is Thane of Space of the Land of Insanity and Frogs.

The Malkavians would be proud.

Thanks to Mokipi for the Exalted avatar!

For avatars of your own, he's on White Wolf.