New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #716 - The Discussion Thread

Totally worth those eight spellbook pages.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Banned

Flumph

Yay, new comic.

Although I find it hard to belive that someone isn't going to steal the magic dagger before Roy finds it.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to say, Haley's single solution to two problems was clever.
    Avatar by the incomparable araveugnitsuga!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Looks like we're switching up who gets split from whom.

Great work Rich!

Member of the Explosive Runes Fanclub!

Keeper of the Toy Piano in the Eric Fanclub!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Everything is up in the air, all of the time, until I need to give them a specific ability.

And then I promptly forget that I gave it to them a week later.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

For me what Haley did sucked. She didnt need to get cought. Also:
    1. She probably lost her bow.
    2.She might lose her dagger.

They saw the poster - they could try to explain.
    comeback Chief Lobbyst

6. - Top - End - #36
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Wait, how could Haley have known about the poster? From the looks of things in the previous strip, she'd be too far away to read it or perhaps even overhear their conversation. I suppose if she did hear it would be reasonable for her to assume whatever's on it is worth "showing" to Roy, but that's quite the gamble. Vaarsuvius couldn't have given her any clues as to it's importance (pointing with her eyes maybe?) either; s/he didn't know what Haley was planning on doing.

Very good strip though! I love that the circling birdies were replaced with pterodactyls, and now we know the names of both kidnappers. Keep 'em coming, Mr. Burlew!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

I like the way she thinks!

8. - Top - End - #38
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateGirl

A stunning episode! Lots of fun to read! Thanks, Giant!
    I like Haley's method of cut-and-paste.

MBiz

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

OK, but what are the chances of Roy chancing upon the dagger and the wanted poster....oh I guess with the power of plot development, 100%
    power of plot development nothing. Thats the spot roy is going to meet them at.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aurorax View Post
    OK, but what are the chances of Roy chancing upon the dagger and the wanted poster....oh I guess with the power of plot development, 100%
    Quite high actually, if i recall where they were captured was right about where they were supposed to meet the rest of the order

Quote Originally Posted by Zorn View Post
    Wait, how could Haley have known about the poster? From the looks of things in the previous strip, she'd be too far away to read it or perhaps even overhear their conversation. I suppose if she did hear it would be reasonable for her to assume whatever's on it is worth "showing" to Roy, but that's quite the gamble. Vaarsuvius couldn't have given her any clues as to it's importance (pointing with her eyes maybe?) either; s/he didn't know what Haley was planning on doing.
    I think it's plenty possible that she could overhear what they were saying... They are bounty hunters, they have some random piece of paper out and V's telling Haley to deliver something to Roy... Haley put the pieces together and figured that the piece of paper would tell the rest of the group were to find V and Elan.
    Last edited by slayerx; 2010-04-18 at 06:14 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

Quote Originally Posted by homeosapiens View Post
    For me what Haley did sucked. She didnt need to get cought. Also:
    1. She probably lost her bow.
    2.She might lose her dagger.

They saw the poster - they could try to explain.
    Remember, she did it to protect them(how, i have no clue?)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungKing View Post
    And Gannji doesn't know that any good Rogue would have ranks in Escape Artist.
    If Gannji believes the poster then she is a shape-shifting succubus. He will not be expecting rogue levels.

13. - Top - End - #43

MindFlayer

I'm voting Haley was being Crafty.

Although why Roy instead of anyone else in the city will find the knife/poster is beyond me.

14. - Top - End - #44

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rman View Post
    If Gannji believes the poster then she is a shape-shifting succubus. He will not be expecting rogue levels.
    Except that the post calls Sabine a "demon rogue," so he should be expecting a rogue.
    We don't need no steeeenkin' signatures!

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheYoungKing View Post
    Its not an improvement over just getting away.
    Everyone seems to be missing an important point: Haley didn't know where they were going. She didn't see the poster, so she didn't know who wanted them or where they were. They were teleporting out, and Haley had no way of tracking them once they did. And without V's people-finding spells, I'm not sure the rest of the party could (maybe Durkon has some divinations that will help, but it seems that V's the expert on that).

So it was critical that the party get that poster. Haley only knew that because V told her ("Deliver to Greenhilt!"). So she sacrificed herself to make sure that it was, because the poster could tell Roy something she couldn't.
    Last edited by DSCrankshaw; 2010-04-18 at 06:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

Nice to see the characters working together so well, especially after a year of separation. Also a great reminder that V and Haley are good friends.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

17. - Top - End - #47
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zorn View Post

Very good strip though! I love that the circling birdies were replaced with pterodactyls, and now we know the names of both kidnappers. Keep 'em coming, Mr. Burlew!
    Rogues are known for having quite developed spot and listen skills, so its acually very likely she heard then and saw the poster. Then thought of a quick plan to both protect V and Elan, and warn roy. Ether that, or she knew she had to go with them, so she tried to get herself captured, and upon hearing V say "Deliver to Greenhilt" Saw an opportunity to warn Roy. Also, add the fact that Elan, her love, is being taken away again, after being seperated for months. If I were to "play" Haley, I would have done the same thing.

Not to mention i think the spell "Message" is a level 0 or 1 spell, Its possible that V and Haley could have already been talking and Rich just didnt show it.
    Last edited by Nevadie; 2010-04-18 at 06:32 PM.
    ***DISCLAIMER***
    When I talk about a theory, belief, or any other way of thinking. This does not mean in any way that I believe in said theory, it also does not mean in any way that I am trying to make you believe it.

I am simply bringing up it has a possible way to look at things. Because when a person decides what to believe, they should be aware of all sides of the subject. I don't care if you believe a giant pink rabbit created the universe, just be educated in making that decision.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Herpestidae View Post
    Also, Blue guy is Enor and green guy is Gannji. fitting, somehow.
    By what standards? I don't recall the names to anything. They do sound nice, and they both happen to be very competent, which is rare in this comic.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    She won't be incapacitated if she doesn't try to escape. She's going along with them specifically so they don't knock her out. They'll tie her up or throw her in jail or something, and she knows she can escape most bonds and pick most locks.
    Really.

Remember last time she was bound? She could do squat.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0161.html

And, I must agree with previous posts - just why isn't the dagger gone withing next five minutes? Along with the poster? How she knew what was on the poster? Did Roy even saw this particular dagger?

And how do you break casting from a scroll? Isn't that instantaneous?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

20. - Top - End - #50

Quote Originally Posted by derfenrirwolv View Post
    power of plot development nothing. Thats the spot roy is going to meet them at.
    And no one else will chance on an *extremely* valuable knife and take it first? As well as extremely valuable bow?

And if the wanted poster blows away or is thrown in garbage...

One less person to help rescue, less likely Roy and friends will find out what happened quickly, etc.
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-04-18 at 06:33 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    And, I must agree with previous posts - just why isn't the dagger gone withing next five minutes? Along with the poster?
    Why don't we all wait and see? in the next comic this could all work out just wonderfully.

Oh wait, just remembered where I am...

22. - Top - End - #52

Quote Originally Posted by Thursday View Post
    Why don't we all wait and see? in the next comic this could all work out just wonderfully.

Oh wait, just remembered where I am...
    Of course it could, by power of *plot*, that is the argument.

Sort of like Roy cutting off undead dragon head, which normally would be bad move as X points out, but head just happens to land on guy about to kill V.
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-04-18 at 06:37 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Alot of people seem to be asking how Haley knew what the poster said. I think she of all people would know how wanted posters look like. Also, in the previous comic, Mr. Green skin was talking about how Elan was fool enough to show his face in every tavern. Now she knows that Nale is out there and deserves to be on every wanted poster and the fact that Elan was confused as Nale once before gave her a clue about mistaken identity once again.

I agree that she should have gone with them because otherwise it would've been only V and Elan. Elan is really stupid and would probably get himself into bigger trouble just by opening his mouth and Varrsuvius doesn't exactly scream "Good" either. Atleast this way, she can help out their situation somewhat.
    Last edited by Silverraptor; 2010-04-18 at 06:38 PM.
    My own webcomic. Idiosyncrasy.
    Paladin Academy: Chapter 2 Part 28

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

By the way - what they wanted to say just before the end?

Wait, do you have the--

What exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Nevadie View Post
    Rogues are known for having quite developed spot and listen skills, so its acually very likely she heard then and saw the poster.
    Perhaps you missed all the strips where she failed spot/listen checks made against a crowd three steps away?
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Silverraptor View Post
    Alot of people seem to be asking how Haley knew what the poster said. I think she of all people would know how wanted posters look like. Also, in the previous comic, Mr. Green skin was talking about how Elan was fool enough to show his face in every tavern. Now she knows that Nale is out there and deserves to be on every wanted poster and the fact that Elan was confused as Nale once before.

I agree that she should have gone with them because otherwise it would've been only V and Elan. Elan is really stupid and would probably get himself into bigger trouble just by opening his mouth and Varrsuvius doesn't exactly scream "Good" either. Atleast this way, she can help out their situation somewhat.
    "Elan is really stupid and would probably get himself into bigger trouble just by opening his mouth" - For Elan, stupid has been a class feature/advantage, including in his last kidnappings by bandits and orcs. Of course that is also powered by plot.
    Last edited by multilis; 2010-04-18 at 06:40 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

By the way - what they wanted to say just before the end?

Wait, do you have the--

What exactly?
    I assumed it was the poster- the joke being that the dumb one saw their mistake, but the smart one didn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Magazine, Issue 4
    A player may orgy continuously as many days as he has constitution points, but then must rest for as many days as he orgied.
    My first homebrew- Ur-Priest as a Base Class?! The Divine Charlatan

27. - Top - End - #57
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by multilis View Post
    Of course it could, by power of *plot*, that is the argument.
    Evidently my sarcasm wasn't strong enough.

Meh, I do admit it's often said and not that amusing anyway, but true.
    Last edited by Thursday; 2010-04-18 at 06:46 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I find it hiliarious that people are draging in "real life" into this situation. What just happened in the comic is something that would absolutely happen in a game of DnD. You don't think a PC would do that sort of stunt in a way to try to keep on top of a situation? Of course they would.

I've seen crazier things at a gaming table. And, I suspect, all of us reading on this forum have as well.

And this comic is still a story that parodies/is based on DnD, not "real life", no matter how dramatic it got for a stretch of time.

So Haley's actions seem perfectly in character, and perfectly acceptable from a storytelling point of view.

Will they work? Time will tell, now won't it?
    Last edited by Porthos; 2010-04-18 at 06:43 PM.
    Concluded: The Stick Awards II: Second Edition
    Ongoing: OOTS by Page Count
    Coming Soon: OOTS by Final Post Count II: The Post Counts Always Chart Twice
    Coming Later: The Stick Awards III: The Search for More Votes

No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style - Jhereg Proverb

29. - Top - End - #59
    Banned

And how do you break casting from a scroll? Isn't that instantaneous?
    V could Ready an action to stun Gannji as he cast the spell. Readied actions are rather bendy when it comes to logic as you can use a standard action, like a spell, to interrupt another spell being cast.

casting from a scoll isn't instantaneous as far as I know either. It's a standard action.

30. - Top - End - #60

DruidGuy

Brilliant as usual.