New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: OOTS #716 - The Discussion Thread

C'mon, people, a Wanted poster will include somewhere on it a location or jurisdiction or such to bring your Wantee. Otherwise, what use is it?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Depends what you count as "evidence." We have Gannji's express opinion that Enor is indeed stupid. ("For the record, you'll also be safe if it tells you to sit on your brain.")
    I took this more as a gibe for Enor's recent mistake (sitting on his hands) rather than a comment on his overall intelligence. You're right, though; I should have mentioned that.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

So the party splits again. I don't think this will be a book spanning thing, but this Empress of Blood arc could go on as least as long as the banditry arc. Not that I mind, because it's definately interesting.

Thinking back on Don't Split the Party and Rich's understanding of each character, I think this split will be a lot healthier. Both groups have one of the Order's natural leaders, and a Spellcaster who respects them. Also, I trust Haley's right that Roy will put the dots together, so he should be able to come up with a plan to try and find them.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

4. - Top - End - #124
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGuy

What comes to mind is that even if they don't know about Haley's levels, there's two more important things to consider.

a) A good Rope is better than any other restraint by DC, and
    b) A good Rogue has good Use Rope to outweigh good Escape Artist. There's a reason there is a +10 Circumstance Bonus for the captor.

And it's not like other people haven't managed to capture her before. Miko, for one. I admit she was prepared, but I always thought she could escape that restraint if she wanted to.

In terms of our other captives, I really feel bad that Elan always gets the shaft like this. Sure, give equality to all the members, but Elan always has to be the buttmonkey, when he's the one with the PrC and the Charisma for bonus spells? Luckily he stabilized or just got knocked out, and here's hoping he can manage to cast Lesser Restoration, and if things get worse, V has Still Spell. Most wizards, being in my experience in a captive position, tend to make sure of that.
    Last edited by Aurabolt; 2010-04-19 at 12:41 AM.
    Created Characters

Janus
    Terrin
    Martel Darlesse

Always up for a game, solo or no, can make any character, but would love to know what I'm dealing with. Either way, excelsior to adventure!

5. - Top - End - #125
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    Everyone seems to be missing an important point: Haley didn't know where they were going. She didn't see the poster, so she didn't know who wanted them or where they were. They were teleporting out, and Haley had no way of tracking them once they did. And without V's people-finding spells, I'm not sure the rest of the party could (maybe Durkon has some divinations that will help, but it seems that V's the expert on that).

So it was critical that the party get that poster. Haley only knew that because V told her ("Deliver to Greenhilt!"). So she sacrificed herself to make sure that it was, because the poster could tell Roy something she couldn't.
    I guess she doesn't have many ranks in pocket picking then ... seems like the best solution would have been to just steal the poster.

TBH not sure why the bounty hunters didn't just saunter over and pick up the dagger/poster lying on the ground. It's not like she made them vanish. And covering your tracks + free magic dagger for a few seconds delay, why not? Seems like a classic badguy blunder.

6. - Top - End - #126

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post
    I guess she doesn't have many ranks in pocket picking then ... seems like the best solution would have been to just steal the poster.

TBH not sure why the bounty hunters didn't just saunter over and pick up the dagger/poster lying on the ground. It's not like she made them vanish. And covering your tracks + free magic dagger for a few seconds delay, why not? Seems like a classic badguy blunder.
    The entire point of Haley's plan was to a) make absolutely sure she got captured; and b) make it look like she's trying to free the other two. The combination will naturally lead the captors to want to get out as soon as possible.
    Thanks to banjo1985 for the amazing Avatar.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by ss49 View Post
    C'mon, people, a Wanted poster will include somewhere on it a location or jurisdiction or such to bring your Wantee. Otherwise, what use is it?
    Er, yes, we know it does, because we read it in the previous strip!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Er, yes, we know it does, because we read it in the previous strip!
    But several posts are wondering how Roy will know where they went. Poster, Haley's knife, hurr durr. I am sure the knife was noted during the trip from their reunion to the desert.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

I really love the little flying dinosaurs over Gannji's head, instead of the usual birds for the cartoons' stunning effect. Very appropriate, and very nice touch!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)

Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Historical zombies is a fantastic idea.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snikrept View Post

Well, for one, it's not obvious that the knife is magic. It actually takes a spell to determine that an item is magic unless it has an obvious tell (such as it glows).

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Don't split the party!
    Also, what's bugging me a bit, in one of the previous comics they said they don't need Haley (if I'm correct). How do they know that she is not the female demon rouge who appears human (i.e. Sabine)?
    Last edited by Mariel Dragon; 2010-04-19 at 02:10 AM.
    "yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Thog want more a-pee-ranse!

12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

On the poster

Imperial Palace,
    1 Hemmorage Road
    Bleedingham
    EOB

yay for the new large computer monitor

Well, for one, it's not obvious that the knife is magic. It actually takes a spell to determine that an item is magic unless it has an obvious tell (such as it glows).
    of course its obvious its magic. Its got barbs and its COOL looking. Regular wepons don't look that cool. (metagaming for dummies)
    Last edited by derfenrirwolv; 2010-04-19 at 02:15 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mariel Dragon View Post
    Don't split the party!
    Also, what's bugging me a bit, in one of the previous comics they said they don't need Haley (if I'm correct). How do they know that she is not the female demon rouge who appears human (i.e. Sabine)?
    They don't. As a matter of fact, they're assuming that's exactly what she is, which is how she's worth 5,000 gp. They didn't need her because 5,000 gp pales beside 40,000 gp, and it wasn't worth the risk.

14. - Top - End - #134

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DSCrankshaw View Post
    They don't. As a matter of fact, they're assuming that's exactly what she is, which is how she's worth 5,000 gp. They didn't need her because 5,000 gp pales beside 40,000 gp, and it wasn't worth the risk.
    her not being a demon might be a good point in Elan's defense. She's the only one that esay to prove she's not the one on the wanted poster.

so neither worth the risk, nor a wasted scroll of teleport

and whoever they deliver them to might feell the bounty hunters try to be greedy and screw them over, possibly with a fake Nale too.
    Last edited by Agi Hammerthief; 2010-04-19 at 02:39 AM.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

15. - Top - End - #135

Action Haley!

And quick thinking from V.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post
    her not being a demon might be a good point in Elan's defense. She's the only one that esay to prove she's not the one on the wanted poster.

and whoever they deliver them to might feell the bounty hunters try to be greedy and screw them over, possibly with a fake Nale too.
    Doubt that would help Elan at all...
    Nothing stops nale from traveling around with other people... as far as anyone knows, Nale decided to pick up an extra human rouge as a companion
    Same goes for V, if he is recognized as not being Nale's old wizard companion, nothing stops nale from picking up a new elven mage as a companion

The only real difference it will make is if the queen is willing to pay the 5,000 gp for each of them... on the one hand she may only be willing to pay for the ones in the past, or on the other hand she may accept anyone willing to side with nale... kinda depends on how much she hates nale and how much she's wants to save a few thousand gp
    Last edited by slayerx; 2010-04-19 at 03:23 AM.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Meh, so the party is split once more ... I just hope they will be reunited faster this time. Call me oldfashioned or simple minded but I liked OOTS the best when the entire party made a dungeon crawl.

18. - Top - End - #138

OldWizardGuy

Question Re: OOTS #716 - The Discussion Thread

Isn't the paper the wasted teleport scroll?
    Smile, joke, be happy for tomorrow will be worse.

Great power leads to great responsibility, but if youre powerless, dowhatever you want. - Thunt

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    A stable population would lead to more people since all the guys and most of the girls aren't being killed off in armies. And they're all going to die eventually. Thus if you're REALLY about maximizing the Deaths, peace and stability are, Ironically, your best bet.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Uhhhh a power word.
    I love those. And the tiny flying dinos too!

Too bad V rolled a 1 on the d4 for stun, else Haley could have gone sneak attack bezerk on Gannji.
    Once you go scaly, you'll be back daily.

20. - Top - End - #140

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by AxeD View Post
    Hey, how come Gannji didn't drop everything he was carrying when he was stunned?
    According to the SRD:
    [B]Stunned: A stunned creature drops everything held,
    And therein you answered your own question.

You don't drop everything you are carrying - you drop everything you are holding. Otherwise, every time somebody got stunned, they'd be naked at the end of the round. Great party trick, for sure, but not how the spell works.

The only thing he was holding was the poster, and he dropped it.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by binyamin20 View Post
    Isn't the paper the wasted teleport scroll?
    No it's not... in the first panel, The lizardman gannji, had the wanted poster in one hand and the teleport scroll in the other. in the second panel, V used STUN and the teleport scroll fizzled into nothing (when you screw up a spell cast from a scroll, the scroll is wasted)... so Gannji only had the wanted poster which he dropped when Haley pushed him
    Last edited by slayerx; 2010-04-19 at 04:38 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

without reading this 5 pages, i will say, a very good idea by Haley. and of course, the Giant who wrote it. its very awesome right now, im happy that i soon get to see if my theory is correct about this.
    maybe this also is new side of the gate fight?
    Last edited by Arrowstorm122; 2010-04-19 at 04:45 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Agi Hammerthief View Post

It would be easy for a cleric/druid/paladin to detect (not) evil on Haley, but not for Ganji and Enor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herald Alberich View Post
    (snip)
    We have no idea where on the continent they are, how far away the EoB is, and heck, they could be in the country already. The Teleport could have taken the bounty hunters across the continent or across the city. Anyway, if they're not already in Bleedingham, Wind Walk will get them there soon enough.
    Which is the point, I guess. And even if someone stole the Wanted poster, Roy and Co. could have very well already seen another one on their inquiries and connect the dots from that. Shouldn't take them more than two or three episodes.

Looks like the OOTS is being railroaded to the empress of blood, who might be Elans stepmother, or Sereni, or someone completely unrelated, with a plot twist that wrecks everyones mind.

24. - Top - End - #144

Just to nit-pick here, but ought'nt Gannji be holding on to Enor when he was using the Teleport scroll? On both his attempts at reading the scroll, they'er not holding on to each other, and on the last reading, they're clearly standing apart from each other.

He-he, LOL why work when you can sit in front of your PC thinking such meaningless thoughts...

25. - Top - End - #145

DwarfClericGuy

Roy, Durkon and Belkar will find the dagger and wanted poster rather fast.

After all, someone just fired off a signal flare (V's PW Stun). One of them will probably close enough to hear the PW at this point and come running. Belkar can track down the bow.

Spoiler
    Show
    I wonder if Durkon is also 15th level now. That sort of makes finding lost party members a lot easier:

Discern Location

Gannji and Enor can port out but the Order's remaining members will know exactly where others are (after Durkon prays to Thor).
    FTDWIR

26. - Top - End - #146

Quote Originally Posted by Kareasint View Post
    Belkar can track down the bow.
    Belkar... track down.... *snicker*

27. - Top - End - #147
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Hooray Haley!

It's really nice that instead of running off to save her own skin, she's putting it on the line to protect other Order members. Good shot, btw. It's great that the lizards don't understand.

I just hope Roy recognizes the dagger... are we sure he knows it's hers?

Well, unless of course, they find the bow.
    Last edited by RickDaily12; 2010-04-19 at 06:44 AM.
    "When will I ever stop telling stories? Well, you see..."

That's what loyal teammates do for each other, isn't it? You know, when they're not busy getting new haircuts.

28. - Top - End - #148

Belkar should recognize the dagger, at least.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

29. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Edhelras View Post
    Just to nit-pick here, but ought'nt Gannji be holding on to Enor when he was using the Teleport scroll? On both his attempts at reading the scroll, they'er not holding on to each other, and on the last reading, they're clearly standing apart from each other.

He-he, LOL why work when you can sit in front of your PC thinking such meaningless thoughts...
    As you'll see on previous teleports seen in comic, that's not quite necessary. As long as everyone is in touch range of someone else within the scroll's effect, it seems to satisfy the "touch" requirement.
    Last edited by Snake-Aes; 2010-04-19 at 07:08 AM.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Dwarf in the Playground

Well, Haley being captured might prove easier for V and Elan on the future, tough I feel it won't be any bad for them once the kidnappers offers them for the reward
    My Player Registry entry.
    Avatar made by Andraste, thanks lots!