New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default [4e] Throwing shield + ranged powers?

So, I picked up a throwing shield at a recent session. I wanted it so that I could make ranged attacks without having to switch weapons. As a warlord, this is a good thing. My question, though, is whether or not the throwing shield would work with ranged warlord powers.

The other players in my group said no; it isn't itself a weapon with the ranged property (or thrown/heavy thrown), it is an enchantment that gives it a ranged attack power, so that wouldn't qualify.

What are the thoughts here? Technically I think they're right, but I feel like it wouldn't be a stretch to let it happen all the same; since you lack a proficiency bonus on attacks made with the shield, you certainly aren't getting a major advantage by using it with powers.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [4e] Throwing shield + ranged powers?

It won't break the game to allow it. It doesn't have a lot of range nor does it do a lot of damage, so there really isn't any problem in allowing it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

RAW groups that prevent awesome things from happening bug me...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

The loss of proficiency bonus alone would put me off of it. I think you'd be better off using a different strategy. If you can't afford Quick Draw to switch weapons, perhaps the Knifethrower's Gloves (quick draw for thrown daggers only), Bracers of Infinite Blades (saves using actions to sheath a dagger after throwing it), or Deep Pocket Cloak (1/round free-action draw or stow) items could help. Remember that you can still use daggers with their juicy +3 proficiency for Str-based ranged weapon attacks.

I don't actually feel that the damage (1d8) and range (10) are low when compared to heavy thrown weapons. A Javelin for example is +2, 1d6, range 10/20, and the military heavy thrown weapons aren't any better.

Building a proper ranged weapon into a shield would be neat. The Drow to the left would have used one for sure. But the Throwing Shield doesn't seem quite right.
    Last edited by Excession; 2010-04-18 at 11:17 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Based on the power it gives, I would allow it as a Military Ranged (not thrown) +2 prof weapon with a damage die of 1d8 and range of 10 (no long range). I would allow it to be a target of Versatile Expertise.

By RAW, this is not the case... But there's the unwritten rule of awesome. Hopefully you can convince your DM to allow it on the grounds of being awesome, Captain.
    Last edited by Thajocoth; 2010-04-18 at 11:21 PM.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Based on the power it gives, I would allow it as a Military Ranged (not thrown) +2 prof weapon with a damage die of 1d8 and range of 10 (no long range). I would allow it to be a target of Versatile Expertise.

By RAW, this is not the case... But there's the unwritten rule of awesome. Hopefully you can convince your DM to allow it on the grounds of being awesome, Captain.
    It is thrown, though, and the Shuriken is also a throw-only ranged weapon.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

technically it's not a heavy thrown weapon, it's an item with a power that involves throwing it.

It would not overpower the item to count as a weapon (there is a magic helm that acts a decent unarmed weapon, but I can't get the name right now. Goring/Tusked helm/mask?). If there are concerns about it being overpowered, add 1 to the item level, so it costs more.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    It is thrown, though, and the Shuriken is also a throw-only ranged weapon.
    Right, like the Shiruken. You technically throw it, but it's in the "ranged" section.
    Avatar by me. It's Incendius Darkscale, a Good Dragonborn Dragon Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept, Prince of Hell, worshiper of the Platinum Dragon (Bahamut), specializing in Fire and Lightning, wielding a staff in each hand.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thajocoth View Post
    Right, like the Shiruken. You technically throw it, but it's in the "ranged" section.
    And has the "x thrown" keyword. The shuriken is a superior ranged weapon with the Light Thrown property.